Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 03:06 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Nice bunches of stuff you guys. Machin I like the 600 crankset. I'm a big fan of the tri color 600. Also spotted a pair of 105 long reach calipers. Let me know if any of that is going on the clearance rack...
Will do.

Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
Haha you guys are beasts! Very nice catches!

Machin what'd you do, go to the swap meet with a wheel barrow?

Back pack. And several trips to the car to unload.
Old 05-09-09, 05:20 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Freakishly large? It looks like it's just my size! What is it? 25"?
Yes, 25". Came with original owner's manual, LBS assembly card, hang tag, original receipt, and acetate bag with Raleigh emblem fob on a gold string loop.

Seems to be a decent touring bike, made out of Reynolds 555 tubing.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-09-09, 05:58 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Yes, 25". Came with original owner's manual, LBS assembly card, hang tag, original receipt, and acetate bag with Raleigh emblem fob on a gold string loop.

Wow! What a deal! Scratch-free paint jog, too?
Old 05-09-09, 05:59 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Wow! What a deal! Scratch-free paint jog, too?
Man, my typing stinks! "Scratch-free paint job, too?"
Old 05-09-09, 06:07 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
I did, but the reach is too short for the bike I wanted it for. I have another one that's way too long. One day I'll find the right one
What size are you looking for?
Old 05-09-09, 06:12 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Man, my typing stinks! "Scratch-free paint job, too?"
No - it has some nicks and scrapes here and there. Looks to be mostly from being moved around in the garage since 1982 or so. The bike is equipped with a Shimano Deore group.

LBS sticker and receipt says the bike was sold new at Lincoln Schwinn Cyclery in Lincoln, NE.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-09-09, 08:36 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
What size are you looking for?
looking for a 85-90 mm nitto technomic. I currently have a 130mm technomic I'd trade.

Old 05-09-09, 10:55 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ bikedued, Thanks for the picture and info on the Peugeot!
Old 05-09-09, 11:59 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Meeting up with JunkYardBike in the parking lot. Did a deal for the wheels, many of the brakes, derailleurs, and small parts. Thanks very much! You the man!
It was good to finally meet both you and holiday76. I'm glad those parts have gone to a good home where they'll be put to use! But I want my Exage RD back. The RX100 long cage I bought was missing a pinch bolt...I really need to start paying attention to things.

I did find some white NOS Shimano aero lever hoods. I can't figure out what model they belong to, but the very top reminds me of the hoods on the Exage - not rounded or pointed, but angular. I can take pics later.

Oh, and thanks to Machin Shin, I left the swap meet with more money than I came with, which is a surprise, because I usually can't control myself.

My meager catches: the aforementioned brake hoods for $3, a handful of derailleur and brake cables for $1 a piece, an NOS Avocet Fasgrip 28c tire for $5, the RX100 GS RD w/o pinch bolt for $5, and a 26.0 Cinelli XA for $10. Also a pretty good apple fritter for $1.50 at the concession stand.
Old 05-10-09, 06:47 AM
cycleheimer

No - it has some nicks and scrapes here and there. Looks to be mostly from being moved around in the garage since 1982 or so. The bike is equipped with a Shimano Deore group.

LBS sticker and receipt says the bike was sold new at Lincoln Schwinn Cyclery in Lincoln, NE.
Craig's List find? Garage sale? Wow!
Old 05-10-09, 07:17 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

That's not freakishly large. It's my size!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-10-09, 08:02 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Man, I sure need that Tri Color 600 crank? Trade you a Campy Athena with rings for it?.....BD
Old 05-10-09, 08:23 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Man, I sure need that Tri Color 600 crank? Trade you a Campy Athena with rings for it?.....BD
You maynot want it after you see some closeups. The right crank arm had some of its anodizing rubbed off by shoe and/or strap contact. It's not too bad, but part of the Tricolor logo is rubbed off.

Let me get some detailed pictures so you can decide for yourself. I was going to just deanodize and polish the whole thing.
Old 05-10-09, 08:24 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
looking for a 85-90 mm nitto technomic. I currently have a 130mm technomic I'd trade.
What clamp size? 25.4 or 26.0?
Old 05-10-09, 08:56 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
What clamp size? 25.4 or 26.0?
either, but if I have a choice, 26.

Old 05-10-09, 10:22 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Craig's List find? Garage sale? Wow!
I was on the phone with OFG, and while I was chatting with him I was browsing CL. The ad popped up, and it looked to be in my area. After I hung up with OFG I gave the guy a call on the off-chance it was still available. It was, and it was only 1.6 miles away. I grabbed a Grant and hustled over there to claim my prize. All it needs is a dusting and some bar tape.

Now - how much to sell it for...... Hmmmmmm......

Originally Posted by Doohickie
That's not freakishly large. It's my size!
Anything over 56-57cm is freakishly large.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-10-09, 12:04 PM
cycleheimer

[QUOTE=bigbossman;8890613]I was on the phone with OFG, and while I was chatting with him I was browsing CL. The ad popped up, and it looked to be in my area. After I hung up with OFG I gave the guy a call on the off-chance it was still available. It was, and it was only 1.6 miles away. I grabbed a Grant and hustled over there to claim my prize. All it needs is a dusting and some bar tape.

Old 05-10-09, 04:22 PM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I only brought back one frameset...

Other good catches were:
Nitto Jaguar stem $5
8 speed Chorus cranks in vg condition w/ nearly new rings for $35

I sold more than half of what I took there including an Olmo frame, a Gitane TDF, a hiten Schwinn, a couple 8 speed Chorus/Athena groups and a ton of random stuff. I was on the infield wearing a Yamaguchi cap under a Pepsi tent.

I wish I had bought the 10 pitch DA track group for $350 and the Gios Profesisonal for $150. Oh well...
Old 05-10-09, 05:23 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
As I wasn't able to join Poguemahone at Trexlertown yesterday (combination of work, wife's health, and lack of free money), I spent pretty much all of my free time riding. On the way home today, I do my usual pass by the county transfer station (aka dump, for a rural area that won't put up with a dump next door) and this time I get lucky.

That's an 80's Schwinn Sprint, actually in fair condition despite the broken derailleur, rusted chain and freewheel, etc. The steel rims are clean, the frame's not too banged up. This one is definitely going to go on the fixie and flip pile, the profits giving me some badly needed money for parts on the Trek Pilot I've got gathering dust in the attic.

For me, this is the more interesting one: A Diamondback Ascent EX, I'm guessing late 80's from the components and shifters (I'm not all that conversant on early mountain bikes yet). It's got what appears to be a complete Shimano Mountain LX group. I have a feeling I'm going to clean this one up, rebuild it, hang it in the attic and wait for a proper set of wheels to arrive. I notice I'm starting to mess around with vintage mountain bikes a lot more than I ever expected to.

OK, so it ain't Trexlertown. It still wasn't a bad weekend.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-10-09, 05:58 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot Super Competition

Hi all,

Relatively new guy here. I just received my (1980) Peugeot Super Competition, an ebay purchase, and I am in love with it. I am normally a vintage English three speed lover, but I couldn't pass this one up. It is in remarkable condition for its vintage and It almost rides itself -it is so smooth. Anybody out there know much about these? Any ideas on value? Just want to know if I did okay. Cheers
Old 05-10-09, 07:39 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
Hi all,

Relatively new guy here. I just received my (1980) Peugeot Super Competition, an ebay purchase, and I am in love with it. I am normally a vintage English three speed lover, but I couldn't pass this one up. It is in remarkable condition for its vintage and It almost rides itself -it is so smooth. Anybody out there know much about these? Any ideas on value? Just want to know if I did okay. Cheers
Mon Dieu! Wow that is in beautiful condition! You must be one happy camper. It kind of depends on where you live and how hungry you are, but I reckon if under $350, you did OK. You may notice that queries about value have their own thread now - But you're going to keep it and ride it, non? Which means it is more valuable to you than currency. If you had set out looking for one of these in this shape, you would be very lucky to find one - might take a year or more of looking.
Old 05-10-09, 08:23 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I helped some lady load four tires into her trunk and she gave me these two Huricanes in return, basicly new condition, they aint high end but they are in good condition.
Sorry for crappy pics it was dark lol. i'll get better after.

Old 05-10-09, 10:17 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
Sorry for crappy pics it was dark lol.
Your pics are fine. They just needed a little help.

Old 05-10-09, 10:32 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Mon Dieu! Wow that is in beautiful condition! You must be one happy camper. It kind of depends on where you live and how hungry you are, but I reckon if under $350, you did OK. You may notice that queries about value have their own thread now - But you're going to keep it and ride it, non? Which means it is more valuable to you than currency. If you had set out looking for one of these in this shape, you would be very lucky to find one - might take a year or more of looking.
Thanks... purchased for $260.00, not a speck of dirt, not a wiggle or a squeak! I had just begun researching the complexities of identifying Peugeots and this one seemed better than the description implied. Before that I knew nothing of bikes without gearhubs. It needs nothing and I can carry it up three flights with one hand on the stem without breaking a sweat! (it's that light, I'm not that strong) I live in Chicago... I got an offer the first time I took it out. Forgive the bragging... I am just happy. It is rare to find a bike that doesn't need a ton of adjustments or parts. I just got on it and rode away with a goofy smile.
Old 05-10-09, 10:36 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Amazing! tells how much of a computer wiz I am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.