Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 01:20 PM
Geno929

Bikes: SPECIALIZED SIRRUS 2016 w/ ZIPP 404's & RAD CITY 5 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Sirrus with upgrades!

Bought the 2016 Sirrus Sport last week. First acoustic bike for me in a long time, 30 years or more! Anyway, it had dedicated gravel tires on it and rolled too slowly for me. Went to Wheelhouse and they set it up with a used set of Zipp 404's and Victoria Road Tries. Wow! What a difference! I'll post pics when I got my obligatory 10 posts in and can show you how good she looks!
Old 10-09-20, 05:50 PM
speedy1979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acaone
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2020 Sirrus X5 - it was an upgrade to a 1992 Cannondale M700 (yeah, it has been awhile) and so far the bike is awesome. Question though, this is my first carbon bike and I hear "creaks' occasionally coming from either the seatpost and stem/future shock, especially over rough terrain. Are those noises normal in a carbon bike, do all bikes creak a bit but when carbon it is just more pronounced? Perhaps parts are still settling in a bit but I do have a few hundred miles on the bike now. In general I have noticed the "sound" of the bike is quite different then other/past aluminum bikes I have ridden.

Thanks.
It's probably your saddle. I have a Selle Royal Respiro and it creaks like crazy; you'd think it was a cheap saddle but it's not.
Old 10-09-20, 05:57 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by acaone
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2020 Sirrus X5 - it was an upgrade to a 1992 Cannondale M700 (yeah, it has been awhile) and so far the bike is awesome. Question though, this is my first carbon bike and I hear "creaks' occasionally coming from either the seatpost and stem/future shock, especially over rough terrain. Are those noises normal in a carbon bike, do all bikes creak a bit but when carbon it is just more pronounced? Perhaps parts are still settling in a bit but I do have a few hundred miles on the bike now. In general I have noticed the "sound" of the bike is quite different then other/past aluminum bikes I have ridden.

Thanks.
I can't talk about carbon frames as I have a Sirrus 3.0 - but I was hearing sporadic noises and finally pinpointed it to the bottom bracket being loose to the point of being able to move the whole assembly side to side about 1/4". Turns out was a factory recall and the LBS corrected it.
Old 10-09-20, 05:59 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1979
It's probably your saddle. I have a Selle Royal Respiro and it creaks like crazy; you'd think it was a cheap saddle but it's not.
I also have a Selle Respiro on my Sirrus and had the same seat on my Crosstrail Sport previously and I remember the saddle creaking, but that stopped after I adjusted and tightened everything. I love the saddle now!
Old 10-13-20, 04:46 PM
ImaMountainGirl

Bikes: Sirrus x 4.0

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Way2Slow
17 degree stem? Test rode a green X5 today, wow what a bike!
My LBS could not find the proper stem for my Sirrus x 4.0. Which one did you put on yours? The tech added one spacer in the FS for me. Seems to be OK. But I really wanted to change out the stem!
Old 10-13-20, 05:33 PM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ImaMountainGirl
My LBS could not find the proper stem for my Sirrus x 4.0. Which one did you put on yours? The tech added one spacer in the FS for me. Seems to be OK. But I really wanted to change out the stem!
I still have the stock one in mine, just wanted to ride in stock form first before I make any changes. I'd probably go with 17/24 and 110mm/120mm, have to see what feels best. Did you check Specialized online?
Old 10-13-20, 05:54 PM
ImaMountainGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have the stock one in mine, just wanted to ride in stock form first before I make any changes. I'd probably go with 17/24 and 110mm/120mm, have to see what feels best. Did you check Specialized online?
Thanks for the reply. I think I was supposed to ask the question of JAGAMOV but i'm new at this! The more I read through this thread the more I learn, which is great. I believe the Specialized website was out of stock on many of the stems. I'll do my research on the size that's on the bike and the sizes that are available on the website. Adding a spacer in the FS helped but I think that a different stem/angle would be a little better. Thx!
Old 10-13-20, 06:21 PM
Way2Slow

Thanks for the reply. I think I was supposed to ask the question of JAGAMOV but i'm new at this! The more I read through this thread the more I learn, which is great. I believe the Specialized website was out of stock on many of the stems. I'll do my research on the size that's on the bike and the sizes that are available on the website. Adding a spacer in the FS helped but I think that a different stem/angle would be a little better. Thx!
You know I had a feeling that question was for him as I asked the same thing haha.

Jagamov's response Post #1231
"24° stem with the +2° shim for 26° total. Was not able to use the +4° shim due to not being able to screw the stem cap back on."
Old 10-13-20, 06:52 PM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I made a stem for my nephew's Sirrus X, the issue was the stock stem is a 40mm stack height, which I ground a taller stem down to fit, it was a 17 degree.
Recently I was looking for a 17 degree stem for my bike and found UNO on eBay, I bought the 17 degree, 90mm long. It came and I measured it at 40mm stack height. Check with your LBS, if this is the same issue you have, here is the link, it's nicely built and light weight, they don't list a stack height but mine was 40mm.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNO-7-17-Bi...53.m2749.l2649
Old 10-13-20, 08:06 PM
ImaMountainGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagamov
24° stem with the +2° shim for 26° total. Was not able to use the +4° shim due to not being able to screw the stem cap back on.
Hi, my Sirrus x 4.0 stem size says "7 degree, 80mm 50". I would like a 17 degree but everything I find online says 75mm or 90mm, no 80mm. Not even sure what that measurement is for! Do you know if one of these others will work? Thank you.
Old 10-13-20, 08:11 PM
ImaMountainGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I think I can find a 17 degree, 75mm or 90mm on Backcountry or Mike's.
Old 10-13-20, 08:29 PM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hi, my Sirrus x 4.0 stem size says "7 degree, 80mm 50". I would like a 17 degree but everything I find online says 75mm or 90mm, no 80mm. Not even sure what that measurement is for! Do you know if one of these others will work? Thank you.
There is a 80mm in the link I posted.
Remember I believe a 40mm stack height is key.
Old 10-14-20, 09:04 AM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Hi,

That measurement (80mm) is the length of the stem. So if you are happy with the reach then I'm sure 75mm is fine for you. No way would you notice a 5mm difference and I would not go longer since you are trying to get more rise, adding length is probably not going to help.

Jenson USA appears to have them in stock.
Old 10-16-20, 08:22 AM
acaone

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1979
Thanks for the reply, after further investigation I found that the saddle screws were indeed loose which was causing the louder of 2 creaks. Now I can clearly hear a creak coming from the steerer tube/future shock. The funny thing is I only hear it over rough terrain like brick or stone surfaces not large bumps . I tightened the collar screw on the future shock and stem screws but I believe that made the creaks more frequent. Next step, I believe, will be to back off those screws a few turns.
Old 10-24-20, 09:25 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Well, looks like I got one of ...if not thee...first 2021 Sirrus X 5.0's on the central coast of CA last Monday. I had a deposit on my order for over 3 months. Took delivery on late Monday and after today, I have 75+ road miles on her. She's my "recovery" present after 3 lumbar surgeries in as many years, the last a month ago to remove all the titanium lag bolts and rods that driving me bat-Sh** crazy! It's the gloss blue tint/ice blue/satin black. A bit different than the 2020 and she runs the new SLX 1x12 and honestly, I run XTR on all my Mtn Bikes and this SLX is pretty impressive in performance EXCEPT for the missing quick shifting that I'm so used to with XTR. It won't be long before it gets XTR, though! The first replacement is going to be the bottom bracket and crappy crankset. They are using the exact crankset involved in the recall effort. It appears they just paid attention to torque values and used hideous amounts of red loctite on the main crank bolt. Problem is, that bolt is not designed to handle the torque factor that red loctite induces so already I'm in need of a replacement bolt because I pulled the cranks and BB so I could get into the down tube to quiet the noisy brake hose and gear housing that rattled like crazy on rough roads and terrain. I successfully stopped that and was able to get the crankset back on but I'll likely be using creative methods to remove that bolt if I get either a new bolt or a new crankset appears here first...which is highly possible.

Ordered a Specialized CG-R (Cobble-Gobbler) seatpost and will have carbon bars onboard soon, too. Kind of a crappy picture as the fog rolled in but I'll add another tomorrow in better light.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-24-20 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For GrizzledBastard:
Old 10-24-20, 09:35 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Thanks! I think I can find a 17 degree, 75mm or 90mm on Backcountry or Mike's.
Consider this...if you're increasing the rise angle of a stem, a slightly longer stem will likely be the same reach as the original. As you come UP in rise, the handlebar mounting surface comes BACK just a bit.
Old 10-25-20, 07:57 AM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrizzledBastard
Well, looks like I got one of ...if not thee...first 2021 Sirrus X 5.0's on the central coast of CA last Monday. I had a deposit on my order for over 3 months. Took delivery on late Monday and after today, I have 75+ road miles on her. She's my "recovery" present after 3 lumbar surgeries in as many years, the last a month ago to remove all the titanium lag bolts and rods that driving me bat-Sh** crazy! It's the gloss blue tint/ice blue/satin black. A bit different than the 2020 and she runs the new SLX 1x12 and honestly, I run XTR on all my Mtn Bikes and this SLX is pretty impressive in performance EXCEPT for the missing quick shifting that I'm so used to with XTR. It won't be long before it gets XTR, though! The first replacement is going to be the bottom bracket and crappy crankset. They are using the exact crankset involved in the recall effort. It appears they just paid attention to torque values and used hideous amounts of red loctite on the main crank bolt. Problem is, that bolt is not designed to handle the torque factor that red loctite induces so already I'm in need of a replacement bolt because I pulled the cranks and BB so I could get into the down tube to quiet the noisy brake hose and gear housing that rattled like crazy on rough roads and terrain. I successfully stopped that and was able to get the crankset back on but I'll likely be using creative methods to remove that bolt if I get either a new bolt or a new crankset appears here first...which is highly possible.

Ordered a Specialized CG-R (Cobble-Gobbler) seatpost and will have carbon bars onboard soon, too. Kind of a crappy picture as the fog rolled in but I'll add another tomorrow in better light.
Good info, GB! I too am planning to ditch the OEM crankset on my 2020 X 5.0, and am curious as to which replacement cranks/BB you go with. Also, what method did you employ to stop the brake line rattle? Any info on both would be appreciated. Happy riding, and continued recovery!
Old 10-25-20, 08:10 AM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

I'm a hard-core fisherman and we use these nylon weave rod protectors that are based on the tubular mesh wire loom. Sort of works like an old Chinese finger puzzle. They're <$4 at Walmart in fishing department. I cut one a third or so longer than the entire downtube and inserted the cut tip, folded in half lengthwise, in through the small BB shell access after removing the Bottom Bracket. I slid it under the housing so it would be on the low side of the downtube. Pushing it all the way up to close to the head tube, it starts to bunch up and burns up all the empty space inside so the cables won't rattle. It weighs nothing yet is stiff. I left a small amount of the wider end exposed under the BB shell cover plate so it can be easily pulled out should I need to fish new housings through the downtube.
Old 10-25-20, 09:41 AM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ Thanks, please keep us apprised of your component upgrades
Old 10-25-20, 11:01 AM
Way2Slow

Added a few things: Quad Lock, NiteRider Micro 900, Stix Elite with Saddle Mount and RaceFace Chesters.
Old 10-25-20, 12:18 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

I really liked the Sage and I'm surprised you were able to get it! It was around August when I wanted it and was told by all shops within 200 miles of me that it was dried up and gone and my only option was to wait for the new 2021 in Blue as that would be the first released "hopefully" before the new year. Redwood was after the new year. I wasn't sure what either color looked like beyond the dealer's computer but after seeing my blue, I'm pretty happy with it. In person it's very nice as you can see the carbon layup through the tint and they went heavy to near black on the locations where layup gets nasty around reinforced joints and what not. Redwood looks good, too but just doesn't float my boat.

I see now that if you go deep into the Specialized site, the 2021's are there to see. Up until recently, I was only able to see 2020's.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-25-20 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 01:00 PM
Way2Slow

I really liked the Sage and I'm surprised you were able to get it! It was around August when I wanted it and was told by all shops within 200 miles of me that it was dried up and gone and my only option was to wait for the new 2021 in Blue as that would be the first released "hopefully" before the new year. Redwood was after the new year. I wasn't sure what either color looked like beyond the dealer's computer but after seeing my blue, I'm pretty happy with it. In person it's very nice as you can see the carbon layup through the tint and they went heavy to near black on the locations where layup gets nasty around reinforced joints and what not. Redwood looks good, too but just doesn't float my boat.

I see now that if you go deep into the Specialized site, the 2021's are there to see. Up until recently, I was only able to see 2020's.
They really didn't start showing up here in the Bay Area until around early September, if you were lucky it was assembled. I initially wanted the Cast Blue but after seeing it in person, Sage Green was the winner. I love my X5, what a difference with the future shock.

I bet your Gloss Blue is amazing in the sunlight! I thought about waiting for 2021 model but I noticed they went to 40T in front plus price went up.
Old 10-25-20, 01:36 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

They really didn't start showing up here in the Bay Area until around early September, if you were lucky it was assembled. I initially wanted the Cast Blue but after seeing it in person, Sage Green was the winner. I love my X5, what a difference with the future shock.

I bet your Gloss Blue is amazing in the sunlight! I thought about waiting for 2021 model but I noticed they went to 40T in front plus price went up.
That's what the specs say but mine came with a 42T chainring. It's 1x12 now. I'm now clueless as to who makes the crankset. It's supposed to be a Praxis Alba but when I sent a photo to Praxis to buy a couple of new main crank bolts, they said "not ours, can't help, see ya!"

I took it back to my dealer to have my mechanic / owner buddy ID it and order but they closed right when I pulled into the lot. Regardless, it's coming off as I don't want that crap on there. I'll be putting carbon cranks on it, possibly a set of SRAM XX1's (non-boost) with a GXP BB. That shouldn't effect the chainline and for now, the DM chain ring should transfer right over.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-25-20 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 01:41 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Oh...btw....anyone pulled the "reflector ad sticker on the top tube?

It's a solid sticker but it looks stupid. I haven't ponied up the courage to start it but figured I'd add a bit of heat to it with a special tiny iron and a protective sock on it to loosen up the adhesive.

Last thing. If you take your front brake lever off and rotate it 360 it torques the hose out away from the head tube. That should have been done during assembly but the 15 year old kids don't care. It will destroy the finish and burn through any tape you put on the headtube in short order. I've seen it many times.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-25-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 01:48 PM
Way2Slow

That's what the specs say but mine came with a 42T chainring. I'm now clueless as to who makes the crankset. It's supposed to be a Praxis Alba but when I sent a photo to Praxis to buy a couple of new main crank bolts, they said "not ours, can't help, see ya!"

I took it back to my dealer to have my mechanic / owner buddy ID it and order but they closed right when I pulled into the lot. Regardless, it's coming off as I don't want that crap on there. I'll be putting carbon cranks on it, possibly a set of SRAM XX1's (non-boost) with a GXP BB. That shouldn't effect the chainline and for now, the DM chain ring should transfer right over.
Wow that's gonna be nice! I'll eventually change mine out, I just wanna ride this bad boy. Funny you mention the sticker, I want it gone myself. I just asked one of the guys on youtube, looks like he removed his.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.