Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

BMC Alpenchallenge pics!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

BMC Alpenchallenge pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 04:09 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavis5220
Their website still isn't showing the 2021 Alpenchallenge......wish they would update it...the new AMPs look good though
There's a French and UK site that updated and added the videos to their YouTube. I can't post links yet because I'm new but it's beastybike . com and youtube is just beastybike
Old 08-28-20, 05:32 PM
myemptymind

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomDesign
There's a French and UK site that updated and added the videos to their YouTube. I can't post links yet because I'm new but it's beastybike . com and youtube is just beastybike
Thanks for that, just looked at them. Alpenchallenge reviews and videos are so hard to find. Good thing I owned one and know the bike well.
Old 08-28-20, 06:57 PM
Beavis5220

Bikes: 2020 BMC Alpenchallenge 2017 BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
That 01 One looks great!
Old 08-28-20, 07:56 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
AC01 2015 8 speed IGH

Fun and reliable urban commuting machine

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-28-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 11:26 AM
myemptymind

That 01 One looks great!
I agree, awesome machine!!
Old 08-29-20, 11:27 AM
myemptymind

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
AC01 2015 8 speed IGH

Fun and reliable urban commuting machine
Nice! How do you like the 8 speed? Any problems?
Old 08-29-20, 12:25 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by myemptymind
I agree, awesome machine!!
I really like the overall look. The integrated lights are well done. What loss is there, if any, by eliminating the Alfine 11 and going with only an 8?
Old 08-29-20, 12:37 PM
myemptymind

Originally Posted by GeoffNA
I really like the overall look. The integrated lights are well done. What loss is there, if any, by eliminating the Alfine 11 and going with only an 8?
I was told they did away with 11 speed due to reliability issues. The lights are cool, ill have to see how well they work for me at night. I like a nice bright light.
Old 08-29-20, 01:49 PM
RandomDesign

I was told my LBC got the 01 Three in amber color with some other models on a pallet but are still unpacking and assembling them so I haven’t been able to pop in to confirm.

That copper colored two is pretty amazing looking but I want a carbon drive after trying one so I’m sticking with the 01 One.
Old 08-29-20, 05:01 PM
Archwhorides 

Nice! How do you like the 8 speed? Any problems?
The 8 speed IGH AC01 is a joy to ride, and it has held up well, considering I have commuted with it daily during all seasons for four years, including the local corrosion-inducing winters (with studded tires, which barely fit). It's not super hilly where I live, but I have ridden it recreationally in hilly areas and the gear range is comparable to my road bike. I think there is one odd gear gap in the 8 speed compared to the premium 11 speed IGH, but I'm not sure this is worth the extra $400+. At 30 mph+ the ride is super fun and stable, which is surprising considering the heavy IGH in the rear, the extremely short chainstay and wheelbase, and the super stiff hydro-formed frame.

Things that I have busted/replaced/repaired/modified, and some beefs:
  • Busted hydro brake handle (accident, not the bike's fault)
  • The shifter cable housing corroded and frayed where it enters the frame, had to fish a replacement. I think my winter commuting was the cause for this one.
  • Minor beef: typical crappy OEM factory wheel, I should have set the spokes and re-tensioned after the first few rides, but I always forget, then the spokes started popping . I rebuilt by hand with DTS Alpine III spokes and haven't looked back.
  • Medium beef: the custom-fit Curano fenders are sexy, but very flimsy, they are not really removable as advertised, they only allow 30mm+/- tires, and these fenders are the only ones that will fit. I patched up the tail of the rear fender when it cracked, and it has held up since.
  • Major beef: the eccentric bottom bracket is a cheap hunk of aluminum held in place with set screws, which after a few years began to slip and let the carbon belt un-tension at awkward moments, which resulted in belt skipping (a very odd sound). I eventually had to painfully remove the cheap bottom bracket, fill in the set screw holes, and replace with an expensive Edison eccentric bracket, which has been fabulous.
  • Major beef: ACO1 has no eyelets or braze-ons for racks, which is crazy for a city bike, and I hate backpacks for commuting. I mounted my rack on the rear hub with modified trailer nuts and a customized Tubus rod fastened to a replacement seat stay. This solution has worked out OK. (The ACO2 has the rack eyelets and space for conventional fenders, but is not as much fun to ride).
Despite my beefs, I would get another AC01 belt drive if I succeeded in trashing my current ride. I wish they would make a pinion model someday, I'd jump on that stat!

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-29-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 08:47 AM
myemptymind

The 8 speed IGH AC01 is a joy to ride, and it has held up well, considering I have commuted with it daily during all seasons for four years, including the local corrosion-inducing winters (with studded tires, which barely fit). It's not super hilly where I live, but I have ridden it recreationally in hilly areas and the gear range is comparable to my road bike. I think there is one odd gear gap in the 8 speed compared to the premium 11 speed IGH, but I'm not sure this is worth the extra $400+. At 30 mph+ the ride is super fun and stable, which is surprising considering the heavy IGH in the rear, the extremely short chainstay and wheelbase, and the super stiff hydro-formed frame.

Things that I have busted/replaced/repaired/modified, and some beefs:
  • Busted hydro brake handle (accident, not the bike's fault)
  • The shifter cable housing corroded and frayed where it enters the frame, had to fish a replacement. I think my winter commuting was the cause for this one.
  • Minor beef: typical crappy OEM factory wheel, I should have set the spokes and re-tensioned after the first few rides, but I always forget, then the spokes started popping . I rebuilt by hand with DTS Alpine III spokes and haven't looked back.
  • Medium beef: the custom-fit Curano fenders are sexy, but very flimsy, they are not really removable as advertised, they only allow 30mm+/- tires, and these fenders are the only ones that will fit. I patched up the tail of the rear fender when it cracked, and it has held up since.
  • Major beef: the eccentric bottom bracket is a cheap hunk of aluminum held in place with set screws, which after a few years began to slip and let the carbon belt un-tension at awkward moments, which resulted in belt skipping (a very odd sound). I eventually had to painfully remove the cheap bottom bracket, fill in the set screw holes, and replace with an expensive Edison eccentric bracket, which has been fabulous.
  • Major beef: ACO1 has no eyelets or braze-ons for racks, which is crazy for a city bike, and I hate backpacks for commuting. I mounted my rack on the rear hub with modified trailer nuts and a customized Tubus rod fastened to a replacement seat stay. This solution has worked out OK. (The ACO2 has the rack eyelets and space for conventional fenders, but is not as much fun to ride).
Despite my beefs, I would get another AC01 belt drive if I succeeded in trashing my current ride. I wish they would make a pinion model someday, I'd jump on that stat!
Thanks for all the great information, glad to hear the 8 sp is somewhat solid. What makes the fenders not easily removable? They can be removed right?
Old 08-30-20, 01:25 PM
Archwhorides 

Thanks for all the great information, glad to hear the 8 sp is somewhat solid. What makes the fenders not easily removable? They can be removed right?
My experience was that the 01 fenders were very difficult to snap on, and they are therefore not really convenient to remove and reinstall on the fly. In addition, my fenders rattled. I eventually sealed between the fender and the frame with black silicone, essentially bonding the fenders to the frame, which has worked well for me (I don't ever need to remove them anyway).
Old 08-30-20, 02:26 PM
Beavis5220

My experience was that the 01 fenders were very difficult to snap on, and they are therefore not really convenient to remove and reinstall on the fly. In addition, my fenders rattled. I eventually sealed between the fender and the frame with black silicone, essentially bonding the fenders to the frame, which has worked well for me (I don't ever need to remove them anyway).
My 2020 AC02 One came with the fenders.....had the LBS remove them when I picked the bike up, was going to give them away but they were so fragile it was ridiculous.....threw them in the garbage as soon as I got home (bike is not used for commuting)
Old 08-31-20, 10:29 AM
myemptymind

My 2020 AC02 One came with the fenders.....had the LBS remove them when I picked the bike up, was going to give them away but they were so fragile it was ridiculous.....threw them in the garbage as soon as I got home (bike is not used for commuting)
This is probably what ill have to have done before they assemble, Ill have to make a note of that.
Old 09-01-20, 01:17 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
School me: Can than the Alfine 8/Gates drive be upgraded if new tech comes along?

I would love the beautiful Alpenchallenge frame and fork and the ability to build it out. A 1x11 GRX setup would be sweet.
Old 09-01-20, 05:09 PM
Beavis5220

School me: Can than the Alfine 8/Gates drive be upgraded if new tech comes along?

I would love the beautiful Alpenchallenge frame and fork and the ability to build it out. A 1x11 GRX setup would be sweet.
the Gates drives are on the top-of-the-line models....you can choose a cheaper model that has a regular groupset and switch it out.....the GRX on that would be slick.....
Old 09-03-20, 10:28 PM
RandomDesign

I went and checked out the new 2021 Alpenchallenge One (not the 01 One, it appears to be a new 2021 model with the gates drive that is essentially what the 02 One used to be and at that same price point of $1299). Very nice, cool red color. Makes me want my 01 One even more!
Old 09-03-20, 10:53 PM
RandomDesign

Also, I just noticed that BMC finally updated their website with the new models! From the site it looks like the one that is called the Alpenchallenge One is actually the 02 model. All of the materials just said Alpenchallenge One and had no reference to the 02 part of the name.
Old 09-04-20, 05:45 AM
Beavis5220

Also, I just noticed that BMC finally updated their website with the new models! From the site it looks like the one that is called the Alpenchallenge One is actually the 02 model. All of the materials just said Alpenchallenge One and had no reference to the 02 part of the name.
Looks like they have the 2021 01 One, Two and Three as the old 01's (carbon fork) and are calling the 2021 02 just the Alpenchallenge.......weird

Last edited by Beavis5220; 09-04-20 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 05:47 AM
Beavis5220

Looks like the 2021 01 Two has the GRX groupset......that bike looks great
Old 09-04-20, 10:10 AM
myemptymind

Went to the LBS yesterday and instructed them to leave off my fenders and kick stand, maybe in a couple weeks or less hopefully ill be riding again! The colors look great on the updated site. Did not know about the integrated lights in the bars and seatpost for the 01 One, I already planned to switch the post and bars to some nice carbon ones but now ill have to see how well the lights perform. I have front and rear lights as well.
Old 09-04-20, 11:52 AM
RandomDesign

Went to the LBS yesterday and instructed them to leave off my fenders and kick stand, maybe in a couple weeks or less hopefully ill be riding again! The colors look great on the updated site. Did not know about the integrated lights in the bars and seatpost for the 01 One, I already planned to switch the post and bars to some nice carbon ones but now ill have to see how well the lights perform. I have front and rear lights as well.
I've heard the LightSkin lights are pretty nice, I had planned on swapping the bars too but am also going to wait and see. Going with some iSSi Flip pedals and Ergon GP4 grips though (I have fairly big hands and like the feel of the GP4s over the smaller ones).

Also, didn't the prior years AC01s have D-shaped seat posts? From the pictures it looks like the 2021 LightSkin ones are round but it's hard to tell.
Old 09-04-20, 02:29 PM
myemptymind

I've heard the LightSkin lights are pretty nice, I had planned on swapping the bars too but am also going to wait and see. Going with some iSSi Flip pedals and Ergon GP4 grips though (I have fairly big hands and like the feel of the GP4s over the smaller ones).

Also, didn't the prior years AC01s have D-shaped seat posts? From the pictures it looks like the 2021 LightSkin ones are round but it's hard to tell.
I had a 2016 and the seatpost was round, this new one seems round as well. Not sure what years had the D shaped post. Lizard skinz grips are what’s going on mine and the shimano dual sided pedals
Old 09-04-20, 03:18 PM
Beavis5220

[QUOTE=RandomDesign;21677965]I've heard the LightSkin lights are pretty nice, I had planned on swapping the bars too but am also going to wait and see. Going with some iSSi Flip pedals and Ergon GP4 grips though (I have fairly big hands and like the feel of the GP4s over the smaller ones).

What carbon bars were you guys looking at??
Old 09-04-20, 03:22 PM
RandomDesign

I had a 2016 and the seatpost was round, this new one seems round as well. Not sure what years had the D shaped post. Lizard skinz grips are what’s going on mine and the shimano dual sided pedals
Probably mistaken then. I know some of the BMC models have a D shaped seatpost and for some reason I thought the AC was one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.