Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Will Human Power Cycling Sunset?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Will Human Power Cycling Sunset?

Old 01-31-23, 08:45 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
. I've done organized rides of 130+ multi surface miles with 10,000 feet of climbing where there are numerous cyclists with extreme physical disabilities complete the rides with smiles on their faces.
My guess = for every one of the 'numerous cyclists with extreme physical disabilities' who completed a super-human effort - there are scores (hundreds?) of older cyclists who would have continued riding if they had the power to ride hilly roads with more power/confidence.

It should not be about the bike, but about the rider's use of the bike.

it's a big cycling universe, join it - don't judge it. Maybe one less car. Human power is not going extinct = too much fun when properly engaged....and nurtured from a young age

(grabbed from the 'net)

edit: It is a major hoot to see my 3yo granddaughter pedaling her 12" wheel bike around the cul-de-sac, and even more heartwarming to see her assist 17month old little sister learn on her 'old' balance bike. Pass on the good stuff.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-31-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 05:03 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Hermosa near the pier. Electric motorcycle riders have been flying through there no matter how crowded playing chicken with the rest of us. These riders are not just teens with surfboard racks but mature men and women on their way to or from happy hour. 6 foot letters are painted on the path "WALK ONLY ZONE" but I haven't witnessed any enforcement yet.
I used to ride through there every weekday mornings and afternoons on my commute. Years and years ago, it had a 10 MPH speed limit, and you needed to walk the bike in a small stretch near the pier.

HBPD did a traffic survey, and recommended a 13 MPH speed limit, but extending the walk zone. Instead, the city reduced the speed limit to 8(!) MPH and decreased the “walk only” area.

So now you’re required to walk in that zone 24/7 regardless?

It got to the point where pedestrians were so clueless and unpredictable, I rode the Strand early AM when no one else was around and took the street in the afternoon.

I haven’t ridden it much in a few years, but I’ll agree that the kids on e-bikes have been a hazard. And yea … it’s the Wild West out there. Zero enforcement.

Old 02-01-23, 02:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
As a 25+ year, but former, California resident, who left partly because of coastal density --

I think the beach boardwalk bombers 'sounds like a Cali problem'. Haha. Or a beach town problem. It used to be those crazy kids on skate boards in Santa Cruz County, Long live Bill's Wheels. Haha. 'Get off my lawn' mentality. Maybe jail 'em all or taser the ones who should know better. Or in most states - tax & license all those cyclists, and require insurance.

Do equestrians scoop the poop on those shared trails? Oh the outrage of lack of enforcement. Especially after a day's hard rain ...

Life has inconveniences and hazards. Especially in urban and/or crowded areas.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-01-23 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-01-23, 05:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Leisesturm The real enemy is the one who thinks technology/batteries will save us.
Save us from what?
Old 02-01-23, 06:06 AM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I don't think that human powered cycling will ever go away. There will always be a hardy group of people who aren't content just sitting on the couch. To me, it still the challenge.
Covid lockdowns , as bad as they were, did make the roads safer for cyclists. Sunday mornings were very peaceful for a nice ride. That trend will continue as energy prices increase.
I see the e-bikes as actually increasing the popularity of cycling. They enable some of the older generations to get back into riding. That will possibly be each and every one of us at some point, however, many will hold off on e-bike purchases until it's a last resort.

I'll never forget the day that I was grinding up a steep hill on my human powered bike. An older gentleman politely dusted me off with his e-bike. Although my ego was slightly tarnished, I will still ride the "old fashioned" way.
Old 02-01-23, 07:34 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
.... And all of us are going to be dead or wishing we were in less than 20 years because most of you (I did) wouldn't give up DRIVING for any reason whatsoever. This petty hatred of e-assisted bicycles is just a distraction. Y'all's know who the real enemy here is.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Save us from what?
See above quote. I assume pollution?
Old 02-22-23, 08:01 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bully4
I'll never forget the day that I was grinding up a steep hill on my human powered bike. An older gentleman politely dusted me off with his e-bike. Although my ego was slightly tarnished, I will still ride the "old fashioned" way.
This reminds my of an invitational ride a few years ago where I was struggling at forty-five miles into a fifty-mile route and it was almost ninety degrees outside. A young lady who was a ride participant in our fifty-mile group was riding an upright e-bike and was passing me, fresh as a daisy, not breaking a sweat and looking like she just started out, making a comment about my charming "old" bike. After a brief conversation she went on her merry way just riding along not doing much of anything in the way of pedaling or any other kind of effort. That episode just kind of "jerked my chain". I was pretty miffed after that.

Just my opinion but e-bikes are NOT bikes. You are either riding a bicycle or you are not. I would just prefer having a 150+ hp electric superbike than an e-bike.
Likes For smurfy:
Old 02-22-23, 09:29 AM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
This reminds my of an invitational ride a few years ago where I was struggling at forty-five miles into a fifty-mile route and it was almost ninety degrees outside. A young lady who was a ride participant in our fifty-mile group was riding an upright e-bike and was passing me, fresh as a daisy, not breaking a sweat and looking like she just started out, making a comment about my charming "old" bike. After a brief conversation she went on her merry way just riding along not doing much of anything in the way of pedaling or any other kind of effort. That episode just kind of "jerked my chain". I was pretty miffed after that.

Just my opinion but e-bikes are NOT bikes. You are either riding a bicycle or you are not. I would just prefer having a 150+ hp electric superbike than an e-bike.
I always ride to stay in shape. E bikes seem to work against that process. However, I think they help to bring new riders into the fold. I’m sure it helps all the bike shops with their bottom line. I do notice more older riders out and about on their e bikes. Maybe they like to ride but have health issues. For me, plain old leg power.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 02-22-23, 09:49 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I used to ride through there every weekday mornings and afternoons on my commute. Years and years ago, it had a 10 MPH speed limit, and you needed to walk the bike in a small stretch near the pier.

HBPD did a traffic survey, and recommended a 13 MPH speed limit, but extending the walk zone. Instead, the city reduced the speed limit to 8(!) MPH and decreased the “walk only” area.

So now you’re required to walk in that zone 24/7 regardless?

It got to the point where pedestrians were so clueless and unpredictable, I rode the Strand early AM when no one else was around and took the street in the afternoon.

I haven’t ridden it much in a few years, but I’ll agree that the kids on e-bikes have been a hazard. And yea … it’s the Wild West out there. Zero enforcement.
Well, not so much anymore. I believe it was last weekend, they cited dozens of people for riding through the walking only zone.

Old 02-22-23, 02:27 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
As far as an ebike I'm waiting till I'm 70. I need to suffer to get more fit. I'm more concerned about whether or not the spelling of "lose" with a double "o" will sunset :-)

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling