Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 06:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Sigh.. the advantage of tubulars is not the tires but the rims. Repeat: the rims. Tubular tires are held onto the rim with a few grams of high-strength glue, unlike clinchers (tubeless - same) which require 2 protrusions or hooks on the periphery of the rim to hold on the tire. These hooks are fragile, cause pinch flats, and add weight at the worst place on a bike.

Check your stats - tubular rims are always lighter than comparable clincher or tubeless rims. And due to the extra forces placed on disc-equipped wheels, disc wheels are always heavier than rim brake wheels, - and then you have to add rotors.

If you really want light, then Lightweight Meilensteins come in at 935 grams. Yes, for a pair of wheels. Due to the inherent design disadvantages of clinchers, this is not possible in tubeless or clinchers.
Yet the world has moved on while you insist on treading water and talking rubbish.
Old 01-24-23, 06:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by elcruxio
But... You have to glue to tire in place. And it's not a simple slap on glue, slap on tire -type of maneuver either. It is a genuine hassle that makes bleeding brakes and seating tubeless tires seem like kindergarten play. And both things combined will take a fraction of the time.
What do you do if you get a flat mid ride? You'll need to carry a whole tire? Glue? Brush? Heat gun maybe? How good will a roadside repair really be?

If you have a support car then maybe tubulars still have their place (however judging from the pro peloton, probably not much longer) but for a regular joe? Just stupid. Almost like drillium.

As to disc wheels always being heavier (than rim), are they though? I mean you need to add stuff to the hub sure but you can take stuff away from the rim area. And some manufacturers already do. I wouldn't be so certain that disc is automatically heavier. And even if there is a weight difference, the added weight is where it matters less.
It's pointless arguing. He's not going to learn any new tricks and he just doesn't want to know anyway.
Old 01-24-23, 09:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Disc wheels on this article are lighter than comparable rim brake wheels, when available.
6 of the Absolute Lightest Carbon Wheelsets for Road Bikes - Cycling Road
Old 01-24-23, 10:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

It’s been a long time since I’ve ridden tubular tires. Please remind me how you “field fix” a flat. I seem to recall a need to haul around a complete tire. I’m happy to not have to do that any more.

Do you know what’s slower than a heavy tire? A flat one. If tubeless tires significantly reduce the amount of puncture flats, that means more winning opportunities not lost for racers, fewer group rides brought to an irritating halt, and I get home sooner (or get to ride longer) because I’m not wasting time on the side of the road, that sounds like a very good thing to me.
Well, this ain't how they did it BITD, but a few months ago, one of our C&V riders who rides tubs punctured. He pulled the valve core, put in some tubeless sealant, and pumped it up. We watched while it stopped dripping. Then he pumped it up the rest of the way and off we went. I think sealant from the world of tubeless tires may just make tubular tires less of a PITA if you live in a world of michelin wires and idiots tossing glass bottles out of cars.

But, yeah, he also carried a spare, pre-glued tire.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-24-23, 10:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s just you
Is it though?...or is there an entire section of component design dedicated to helping reduce this very known and common issue?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-24-23, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Sigh.. the advantage of tubulars is not the tires but the rims. Repeat: the rims. Tubular tires are held onto the rim with a few grams of high-strength glue, unlike clinchers (tubeless - same) which require 2 protrusions or hooks on the periphery of the rim to hold on the tire. These hooks are fragile, cause pinch flats, and add weight at the worst place on a bike.

Check your stats - tubular rims are always lighter than comparable clincher or tubeless rims. And due to the extra forces placed on disc-equipped wheels, disc wheels are always heavier than rim brake wheels, - and then you have to add rotors.

If you really want light, then Lightweight Meilensteins come in at 935 grams. Yes, for a pair of wheels. Due to the inherent design disadvantages of clinchers, this is not possible in tubeless or clinchers.
Once more, you exist in a tangential world where weight is the only thing that matters. Aero doesnt matter, comfort doesnt matter, convenience doesnt matter, etc. Only weight matters to you.
And its cool that weight is not only the priority for you, but the sole determiner for technology. Every one of us rides for some reason and we all have varying priorities.

Thing is, I took time to respond to your claims about weight and debunked many of them. You not only havent adjusted your rhetoric, you didnt even acknowledge it and counter. That, to me, is pretty sad. It shows you are dug in on a topic regardless of reality.

If you only consider weight, then your setup is often ideal. In reality, weight is simply one part of an overall formula for determining speed or enjoyment. You have chosen to value weight over anything else, but others value it differently. They arent wrong, and actual data can show as much. Its unfortunate you are to much of a fundamentalist to see this.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-24-23, 11:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is it though?...or is there an entire section of component design dedicated to helping reduce this very known and common issue?
I guess you mean chain guides on Enduro and DH rigs then? I’ve never actually dropped a chain since running 1x mtb drivetrains and that’s about 8 years. I don’t run a chain guide on my current full-suss trail bike.
Old 01-24-23, 11:53 AM
PeteHski

Once more, you exist in a tangential world where weight is the only thing that matters. Aero doesnt matter, comfort doesnt matter, convenience doesnt matter, etc. Only weight matters to you.
And its cool that weight is not only the priority for you, but the sole determiner for technology. Every one of us rides for some reason and we all have varying priorities.

Thing is, I took time to respond to your claims about weight and debunked many of them. You not only havent adjusted your rhetoric, you didnt even acknowledge it and counter. That, to me, is pretty sad. It shows you are dug in on a topic regardless of reality.

If you only consider weight, then your setup is often ideal. In reality, weight is simply one part of an overall formula for determining speed or enjoyment. You have chosen to value weight over anything else, but others value it differently. They arent wrong, and actual data can show as much. Its unfortunate you are to much of a fundamentalist to see this.
You can’t reason with that kind of mindset. They get hung up on this kind of thing and lose sight of the bigger picture.
Old 01-24-23, 11:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
My race (road) bike and TT bike 11 sp rim brake. I also have another franken bike equipped with 11sp 105 that is a trainer only bike. Gonna keep those three rolling as long as possible.

I recently built up a new daily driver/training/high QOL road bike from a 2022 TCR Pro frameset up. I thought about going 11 and rim brake, but after some consideration, I realized that never swap wheels between my bikes, so why not go modern? I went with hydraulic disc and 12 speed Ultegra Di2. I must say that I do not regret my decision despite compatibility limitations with my other bikes. It is a very, very nice bike to ride.
Old 01-24-23, 05:27 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts

The disavantage of tubular rims are several:
-breakage or serious damage in case of a serious pothole
-when a serious flat occurs you waste time glueing a new tubular
-fragility anf lack of robustness of some tubular over the years
-the last two years tdf stages have been won with clincher
The hook on clincher rims are not fragile, I have a pair of 1997 Mavic Cosmic Expert with which I have never had a single flat that still work well and they are clincher models
Old 01-24-23, 05:31 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I guess you mean chain guides on Enduro and DH rigs then? I’ve never actually dropped a chain since running 1x mtb drivetrains and that’s about 8 years. I don’t run a chain guide on my current full-suss trail bike.
No everybody is into1*11 or1*12 mtb drivetrains. All is matter of purpose and needs, I don't run a chain guide on my MTBs as well.I ride only MTBs with10*3 mtbs drivetrains.

Last edited by georges1; 01-24-23 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 06:27 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts

You have yet to explain how you and a few other vintage bike aficionados are the only segment of cyclists who still ride tubular tires in any measurable numbers. From the simple privateer to the sponsored pro tour rider, tubular tires are becoming like the Mayans or Easter Islanders, nothing but a footnote in our history. Rest assured as you get dropped on your "go fast bike," it won't be because of the tire selection of either party.
Old 01-24-23, 06:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts

I once asked a local racer (with many state and national championship medals that he'd won on both road and track) how he decided which bike to take to a given race. He said that he'd take his lightest bike only if he didn't think he was a favorite for the race. If he thought he had a shot at winning, he'd take his most reliable bike.
Old 01-24-23, 07:37 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Again, I'm referring to performance road bikes here. Not commuter bikes, third world pavement bikes, or cruiser bikes, milk crate bikes for picking up cans on the side of the road etc. The topic is speed bikes for good pavement.

Tubular wheels will always feature less rotational inertia because they don't need the two hooks circled in the pics following. This saves weight and prevents pinch flats.

So when you racing with the fast boys with clinchers or tubeless, you'll always have in the back of your mind whether your gear is good enough. The top serious athletes will have made the commitment to tubulars, and the associated gluing and the cost. Or let their sponsors and mechanic deal with it. But on those punchy little climbs or fast accelerations that leave you struggling at the back, you have to ask yourself whether you just want 'comfort' or 'convenience' which are just codewords for second best effort. Or are you really committed to performance?

Old 01-24-23, 08:10 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
But on those punchy little climbs or fast accelerations that leave you struggling at the back, you have to ask yourself whether you just want 'comfort' or 'convenience' which are just codewords for second best effort. Or are you really committed to performance?
Hey Dave, sorry you have to put up with the crap you’re getting. I get what you’re saying about tubular rims, and I agree they’re the lightest. I guess I am just into clinchers for the convenience. But watch what happens after I post this:

“I ride my Veloflex clinchers on Mavic Open Pro rims at 140 psi with a contact patch about a square centimeter per tire, and I’m expected to believe that a 38 mm tire at 70 psi and a contact patch of 20 square centimeters per tire and attendant loss of energy due to the “squish” factor has less rolling resistance.”
Old 01-24-23, 09:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Tubular wheels will always feature less rotational inertia because they don't need the two hooks circled in the pics following.
Tell us how much those hooks increase the moment of inertia of a wheel.
Old 01-24-23, 09:10 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Tell us how much those hooks increase the moment of inertia of a wheel.
You can probably explain the physics. Please…:
Old 01-24-23, 09:29 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by smd4
I think the guy that claims it makes a difference should explain it.
Old 01-24-23, 09:29 PM
big john

I don't think it's common with 1 by. I know there are chain guides, catchers, etc., but I have been riding a 1 by for almost 5 years and I have never dropped the chain on that bike and I ride rougher stuff than I did with my 3 by bikes. I also can't recall any friends dropping a chain while mtb'ing with 1 by.

Anecdotal, I know, but that is one of the advantages of single front rings.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-24-23, 09:52 PM
big john

Originally Posted by georges1
No everybody is into1*11 or1*12 mtb drivetrains. All is matter of purpose and needs, I don't run a chain guide on my MTBs as well.I ride only MTBs with10*3 mtbs drivetrains.
I know you aren't going to buy one but nearly all modern mountain bikes are sold with a single front ring. Originally getting rid of the front derailleur allowed development of complex suspensions with 29" wheels.
Another benefit I found is when riding in mud. Mud can cause havoc in the front derailleur, chain suck, locking up, etc. Never an issue with a 1 by..

Mountain bike design changed dramatically starting in about 2017. Old mountain bikes are fine for trail riding and some people can go fast on hardtails but modern mountain bikes can handle technical terrain far better than bikes of decades past.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-24-23, 09:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think the guy that claims it makes a difference should explain it.
”Prove me Wrong “ is a lazy tactic. You can state your opinion, and punctuate it with “FACTS!!” If you want, but if you want to claim something makes a point, bring the math.

You’re right, this is physics; the equations for rotational inertia are known; rolling resistance is a thing that can be measured. Please, outline your experimental conditions, and provide some results that support your position. We’ll wait.
Old 01-24-23, 10:15 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
”Prove me Wrong “ is a lazy tactic. You can state your opinion, and punctuate it with “FACTS!!” If you want, but if you want to claim something makes a point, bring the math.

You’re right, this is physics; the equations for rotational inertia are known; rolling resistance is a thing that can be measured. Please, outline your experimental conditions, and provide some results that support your position. We’ll wait.
Someone has made a claim that the hooks on a clincher rim increase the moment of inertia of a wheel, and this has a detrimental effect on acceleration. It’s legitimate to ask how big this effect is. In no way is it a “prove me wrong” situation — it’s a “ support your claim” situation.
Old 01-24-23, 10:20 PM
big john

Someone has made a claim that the hooks on a clincher rim increase the moment of inertia of a wheel, and this has a detrimental effect on acceleration. It’s legitimate to ask how big this effect is. In no way is it a “prove me wrong” situation — it’s a “ support your claim” situation.
Actually he said tubulars didn't have the hooks which was part of his argument that tubulars were lighter, didn't cause pinch flats, yada yada.
It's hookless clinchers that don't have the hooks
Tubulars are box section, no hooks because no raised brake track.
Old 01-24-23, 10:57 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by big john
Actually he said tubulars didn't have the hooks which was part of his argument that tubulars were lighter, didn't cause pinch flats, yada yada.
It's hookless clinchers that don't have the hooks
Tubulars are box section, no hooks because no raised brake track.
Yeah, he clearly doesn't know the difference between hooks and raised brake tracks. Regardless, he's claiming that their absence results in the reduced inertial mass of tubular wheels/tires which is "the key differentiator of performance."

We're talking about go-fast bikes, in which weight, especially rotational weight is the key differentiator of performance. Performance being measured as the ability to not be dropped off the back out of the corners or on hills. Or, even better the ability to shed stragglers off of the back through accelerations.
Again, I'm referring to performance road bikes here ... Tubular wheels will always feature less rotational inertia because they don't need the two hooks circled in the pics following. This saves weight ...

Last edited by tomato coupe; 01-24-23 at 10:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-24-23, 11:30 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’m with you, here; my response was more to SMD4 and Dave Meyer; who are holding out that their (outdated) outlook is somehow superior to the direction that the sport, and the industry in general, has been going for the last couple decades
When pressed for evidence, their response is either “No true cyclist” anecdotes, or to “do our own math”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.