Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Your century bicycle(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 11:24 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My recently honjo'd Bilenky with very dirty bar tape:

All 10 speed campy veloce (centaur hubs) and a standard road triple with 13-26 seem to work out very nicely. Before I moved to western MA I was thinking about going with a double and 13-29 but the granny ring has come in handy. I also have yet to spin out the 53-13, even on "hammerhead" group rides.
Old 09-17-08, 11:25 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I've done a couple of metric centuries and my first real mile century on my Worksman industrial cruiser. (Charity rides, not brevet stuff).
I'm impressed!
Old 09-17-08, 11:38 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
She has officially become a century bike... I did 135 km (82 miles) on her a few weeks ago and it was all good.

A few folks thought I was nuts to ride that far on a fixed gear but I think I had an easier time than anyone.

Up next... a full century.

Old 09-24-08, 06:46 AM
VeloMakak

Bikes: IF pista, Cannondale track bike, Cannondale CX bike, Cannondale SS 29er, Bianchi Campione, Redline PL-24, Kink JimC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My century bikes have all been fixed trackbikes.
The first (2) centuries I did (The Prouty)were on an old ('99) GT 'Pulse', which I sold a few years back- I was the second or third owner of that bike.
I did The Prouty last year on a Cannondale 'Capo', running 48x18- my knees were angry at me for almost 10 months after that.
This year's Prouty I did on a new IF Pista (https://www.ifrider.com/?s=pista), and last weekend I did the Seacoast Century on the IF as well.

The Workman cruiser (1-piece cranks? wow!) gets my award for most kick-arse century machine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00870asm.jpg (3.6 KB, 2775 views)
Old 09-24-08, 06:57 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VeloMakak
My century bikes have all been fixed trackbikes.
The first (2) centuries I did (The Prouty)were on an old ('99) GT 'Pulse', which I sold a few years back- I was the second or third owner of that bike.
I did The Prouty last year on a Cannondale 'Capo', running 48x18- my knees were angry at me for almost 10 months after that.
This year's Prouty I did on a new IF Pista (https://www.ifrider.com/?s=pista), and last weekend I did the Seacoast Century on the IF as well.

The Workman cruiser (1-piece cranks? wow!) gets my award for most kick-arse century machine!

Thats a nice machine... here's my IF on ifrider (old photos)
Old 09-24-08, 09:43 AM
VeloMakak

Bikes: IF pista, Cannondale track bike, Cannondale CX bike, Cannondale SS 29er, Bianchi Campione, Redline PL-24, Kink JimC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bmmike:
your IF is killer! I agree that working with them was incredibly smooth and an overall enjoyable experience.
How are you liking Ti? Mine is 853 and OX Platinum.
Having a custom-built frameset was a great experience- it was less expensive and quicker than I thought and the folks at IF, especially Matt, were amazing to work with. I was on the fence as to who to have build a track frameset, but after meeting Matt and talking with him I was sold on IF.

My IF is a pleasure to ride, especially now that I've got all the components dialed.
Thankfully, being that it's a pista, there's very few components to contend with.
Old 09-24-08, 11:08 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bmmike:
your IF is killer! I agree that working with them was incredibly smooth and an overall enjoyable experience.
How are you liking Ti? Mine is 853 and OX Platinum.
Having a custom-built frameset was a great experience- it was less expensive and quicker than I thought and the folks at IF, especially Matt, were amazing to work with. I was on the fence as to who to have build a track frameset, but after meeting Matt and talking with him I was sold on IF.

My IF is a pleasure to ride, especially now that I've got all the components dialed.
Thankfully, being that it's a pista, there's very few components to contend with.
thanks!
liking the ti. i wanted an all rounder all weather rider... i certainly paid more for the ti but am very happy with the ride quality and the craftsmanship.

i met joe and matt on a factory tour when i was deciding what / who to build... i was sold on them after the tour and seeing some club riders with ti bikes.

i've debated building an eno wheel for mine, and adding cable splitters so i can switch to a fg... but that will wait until i have some more $$ in the bank.
Old 09-24-08, 11:49 AM
VeloMakak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I followed the link to your blog about your process with your IF. Very nice write-up, and I have to say your bike is spec'd out really well- what wheels are you running?
Ti is appealing for it's corrosion resistance and all-weather rideability, that's for sure.

I found the IF folks to be really folksy and down-to-earth, while still being infatuated with bikes and master craftspeople at the same time. They took the time to explain things thoroughly, even my absolute rank amateur questions, and they did their best to accomodate my wishes, while tempering those wishes with their knowledge. They never made me feel like the dork I'm sure I was.
It took a lot of badgering to get them to produce a frameset 100% devoid of decals, badges, markings, etc..because I was going through a shop, I had the shop manager at the time intercede on my behalf and plead my case for a 'naked bike'.
Now I wish I had done some marking of some sort....maybe if I get it repainted.

What's the widest tire you have clearance for?
Old 09-24-08, 02:06 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I followed the link to your blog about your process with your IF. Very nice write-up, and I have to say your bike is spec'd out really well- what wheels are you running?
Ti is appealing for it's corrosion resistance and all-weather rideability, that's for sure.

I found the IF folks to be really folksy and down-to-earth, while still being infatuated with bikes and master craftspeople at the same time. They took the time to explain things thoroughly, even my absolute rank amateur questions, and they did their best to accomodate my wishes, while tempering those wishes with their knowledge. They never made me feel like the dork I'm sure I was.
It took a lot of badgering to get them to produce a frameset 100% devoid of decals, badges, markings, etc..because I was going through a shop, I had the shop manager at the time intercede on my behalf and plead my case for a 'naked bike'.
Now I wish I had done some marking of some sort....maybe if I get it repainted.

What's the widest tire you have clearance for?
28s with fenders, 32s and maybe 35s without.
i asked only for the downtube decal and the silver headbadge. i got the decal on the fork and the seatstays. no biggie... the seatstay decals are mostly rubbed off from my old burly trailer.

wheels - pair of mavic classics / ceramic 32 spoke and a hand built pair 32 spoke mavic op with schmidt dyno front and campy rear.

they were really cool about decals - they would have made it naked if i wanted.

the thing i look back on is getting the ti... i love it. they nailed the ride - exactly how i described it - so they know what they are doing.

but - i look back and think i should have gotten the ti with horizontal drops and a rohloff - or 2 steel frames - twins - a crown jewel and a touring frame... painted to match.... but... i do love my bike.
Old 09-25-08, 06:36 AM
VeloMakak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the longest distance you've logged on your IF?
Since you have pretty expansive tire clearance, do you run knobby CX tires for off-road or for snow?
Have you ever run 'moustache bars'- are other handlebar/controls set-ups something you considered when designing your bike?
Is your BB regular road height or higher like on a cx bike?

The reason I ask these oddball questions is that a friend of mine is leaning toward a Ti Moots very similar to the concept of your IF; that's why I was initailly really intrigued to check yours out. It was like you and my friend had discussed every detail of what you wanted out of a custom frame to create a bicycle that could accomplish a variety of things.
Old 09-25-08, 06:56 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the longest distance you've logged on your IF?
Since you have pretty expansive tire clearance, do you run knobby CX tires for off-road or for snow?
Have you ever run 'moustache bars'- are other handlebar/controls set-ups something you considered when designing your bike?
Is your BB regular road height or higher like on a cx bike?

The reason I ask these oddball questions is that a friend of mine is leaning toward a Ti Moots very similar to the concept of your IF; that's why I was initailly really intrigued to check yours out. It was like you and my friend had discussed every detail of what you wanted out of a custom frame to create a bicycle that could accomplish a variety of things.

answers in you PM box....
Old 09-29-08, 10:20 PM
NeezyDeezy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you mind forwarding me those answers too bmike? I'm interested in the same questions for a build I want to decide on.
Old 09-30-08, 06:11 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
Would you mind forwarding me those answers too bmike? I'm interested in the same questions for a build I want to decide on.
Slightly modified from the PM - but here you go:

Longest Ride:
197 miles in one go, through the ADKs.
Ride report here.

(I'm hoping for a 1200k in 09)

Other bars / etc:
I debated using OnOne Midge bars with bar ends... and its something I might still try - whenever / if my Campy Ergo levers ever break or need repair. I've tried moustache bars on my FG bike... I don't really like them - can't get comfortable after weeks of screwing around.

Tires:
I've not mounted cross tires - but I did mount up some Pasela 32s for some dirt road riding. I'm happier with the way my 28 conti's ride, even on the dirt. If I was doing more gravel and single track I'd probably want wider tires. I just put my fenders back on - so maybe next time I swap things around I'll mount up some cross tires.

The limit I have is with my brakes... the Shimano 57mm long reach limit what I can do with tires / frame clearance. Had I to do it over I would consider getting a Tektro Extra Long reach or going to a Paul Canti or centerpull set up. I debated it quite a bit when I built the bike and decided for ease of use to go with the long reach calipers. If I ever need to rebuild wheels I might consider moving to 650b and putting on longer brakes... would give me more clearance.

Moots makes some nice bikes... I considered them as well - but I used to live in S. VT and I was in Boston all the time for work - so IF was 'local' - and my favorite shop was a dealer for IF - so they handled all the paperwork and I handled all the details direct with Matt and Joe.

If you're friend wants a real all-rounder I'd consider options for larger tires - so canti's or extra long reach brakes if he wants to run fenders. I'd also do-it all over with a Rohloff and horizontal drops. I like the 10 spd I'm running - but an internal geared hub would let me switch to a FG and back pretty nicely... and no derailers!

And I wrote about my process with IF and decisions here.
Old 10-03-08, 03:09 PM
pseudocyclic

Bikes: Dahon Helios P9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 6000

I recently bought a second bike, and last week did a 213km ride on it (the outbound leg of a 500km Bangkok-Sikhio-Bangkok round trip), so here's a photo of it that I took on the way back:

My other bike is lurking here and here.
Old 10-12-08, 01:31 PM
Caribou2001
Neophyte

Bikes: 2001 Devinci Caribou (touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mander
Devinci Caribou and Marinoni fixed conversion, mes bicyclettes quebequoises. Sorry no pics, I need a digital camera.
My sig-pic is a 2001 Caribou, and I just pulled my 1st metric century on it! (sans panniers).
Old 10-15-08, 04:43 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid-'80s Raleigh USA Grand Prix at the start of the Baton Rouge Cycling Club's fall century.

Let's see, Stronglight/Shimano 105 frankenheadset; Nitto bars and stem; Dura-Ace aero brake levers; Veloce front brake; two layers of cloth handlebar tape with an innertube underneath and two coats of shellac on top; Velox plugs; Phil front hub with Mavic rim (I forget the model); Phil bottom bracket; Suntour GPX cranks; Time pedals; Chorus seatpost; Brooks B-17, laced; Nashbar flip-flop rear hub with a track cog on one side and freewheel on the other, laced to a Mavic MA3. Frame is Reynolds 531 (main tubes) and is powdercoated after being repaired. Fast and comfy.

Last edited by spider-man; 10-15-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 08:28 AM
red sox junkie
lurking. . . lurking. . .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one of my long distance bikes. The frame is a cheapo Scattante XRL cross that I have been very happy with. Set up as a fireroad/dirtroad bike but I have another set of wheels that I swap in for road use. Cheap old rear rack modified to reach around the canti brakes. I recenetly added fenders for a 135 mile towpath ride during foul weather and it was one of the best purchases I have made! I have used this bike for many long distance rides, most of them being mixed surface or completely dirt roads. It also doubles as my commuter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
scattante.jpg (39.3 KB, 388 views)
Old 11-04-08, 03:04 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My rando bikes

A teaser:

All my bikes here.
Old 11-04-08, 05:08 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beaut Randochap!

I like your site too, great stories.
Old 11-04-08, 05:57 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Hocam; glad you like my little velo home.

Now I've got a start on the commuter hub, next project is the touring section. Stay tuned.
Old 11-05-08, 06:49 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
RC
Beautiful.
Somewhat self defensively, I didn't any (much) change when I flicked over your home page child picture and the recent one.....
Stay youthful. I will time myself on route with my mid-ride expresso.
Old 11-05-08, 02:33 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The secret of good health

Cheers, SBP.

The bicycle certainly is the best "time machine."

I've survived two battles with cancer; both times the bike has pulled me back to health. Yes, pulled, because sometimes I don't know whether I'm pushing the bike along, or it's taking me on a journey.
Old 11-06-08, 07:22 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
RC, sounds like a great and mutual relationship. Maybe this perspective makes your web site so appealing.

Speaking of personification, I just dragged my recumbent out (like getting my 14 year old out of bed in time for school), gave my diamond frames deserved rest, and rode to Cambridge (next to Boston). My last recumbent ride more than a few miles was in the PMC cancer research fundraiser. It is a combination of somber, good cause and mardi gras life celebration. Riding the recumbent reminds me to put life in perspective; that we are, as your bike wisely reminds, " on a journey".

As we got closer the MIT college campus, the 'bent picked up steam and pulled me, like ET going home; where fixties and recumbents are the norm. We both got excited. Gosh, it's nice to be out riding!
Old 11-06-08, 11:26 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the Bleriot is like that for me. It seems to demand a different approach -- more relaxed somehow. Not that it's not fast, because it can be, but it encourages a smell-the-roses (or, lately, decomposing leaves!) approach -- probably because I ride it on trails a lot.

I did that yesterday; just a short 20k fresh air outing against the flu.

I'm impressed to hear of your fundrasing ride. We have one that runs the length of Vancouver Island, which I plan to join, next year.
Old 11-09-08, 01:01 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another cross bike set up for road...2006 kona JTS.

Done 2 self-supported imperials and about a dozen metrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.