Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 10:33 PM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree...a nice Stronglight set only adds to the bike's fucntion and looks. Ditch the HEAVY steel crank set. Simplex shifters were the factory issue....early 70's. Show us some close ups of the head tubing/lugs.

As far as the comment about the International....everyone I knew that bought one was disappointed. They were exepcting some high-end racer's edge bike and got a completely touring set up framewise. And unfortunately for the bikes themsleves, the Campy stuff was so high-end that people often robbed the gearing off the frames and put them on other bikes. In those days, everyone wanted the look/feel of the racer's edge in bikes....even if they never raced a lick.

As far as the saddles....just remember before you plunk down over $100 for a used Brooks...those seat designs were the virtual origin of compressed/flattened blood vessels and sterility in men. They look fantastic, but they did a lot of groin health damage.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 02:07 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
As far as the saddles....just remember before you plunk down over $100 for a used Brooks...those seat designs were the virtual origin of compressed/flattened blood vessels and sterility in men. They look fantastic, but they did a lot of groin health damage.

Kevin
Please show some documentation for this. I have less problems with my 5 Brooks than with any other saddle.
Old 07-24-17, 07:49 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Please show some documentation for this. I have less problems with my 5 Brooks than with any other saddle.
I don't have to. There have been any number of research studies done over the yrs that show the old-school racing saddles to be the cause of sterility in some men. Albeit the Brooks saddle is supposed to 'confrom' to your groin over time, it's the lack of padding, the actual shape, and the blood vessles that get compressed which feed your groin at stake here.

I challenge you instead to show me documentation to prove otherwise; that it's completely safe to use these type of saddles.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 08:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
I don't have to. There have been any number of research studies done over the yrs that show the old-school racing saddles to be the cause of sterility in some men. Albeit the Brooks saddle is supposed to 'confrom' to your groin over time, it's the lack of padding, the actual shape, and the blood vessles that get compressed which feed your groin at stake here.

I challenge you instead to show me documentation to prove otherwise; that it's completely safe to use these type of saddles.

Kevin
Cycling Doesn't Cause Male Infertility: Study
Old 07-24-17, 08:22 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
There have been any number of research studies done over the yrs that show the old-school racing saddles to be the cause of sterility in some men.

Kevin
So where can I find these studies?
Old 07-24-17, 09:20 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

If you'll read carefully, it's not a study that pits old-school saddles against the newer padded designs for men. It's a study that encompasses only the newer saddles and even mentions that the study was probably affected by the newer padded saddles.

We're talking about using vintage Brooks saddles here, not modern, orthopedically designed saddles.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 09:30 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
So where can I find these studies?
Google is your friend. I did my own research on this some yrs back. Even saw sonogram pics of compressed and oblong blood blood vessels leading to the reproductive tract. I'm not selling or distributing modern, padded men's bicycle seats. I have no dog in this fight. Just like in heart disease, people can eat the wrong foods all their lives and never get heart disease.....but you're extremely likely to get heart disease if you eat the wrong foods all your life.

Just consider my claim to be a point of view then and draw your own conclusions based on the evidence out there. I have two beautiful Brooks saddles to go on two bikes...I will probably use them, but I'm not a young man trying to start a family and riding like I used to when in college. In the past 15yrs, I've used specially designed saddles that are supposed to alleviate this issue...I prefer the ones that are most streamlined. But nothing looks like the Brooks type saddles for sure.

I would bet money that in the vast expanse of this bike forum, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 07-24-17 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 10:05 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
If you'll read carefully, it's not a study that pits old-school saddles against the newer padded designs for men. It's a study that encompasses only the newer saddles and even mentions that the study was probably affected by the newer padded saddles.

We're talking about using vintage Brooks saddles here, not modern, orthopedically designed saddles.

Kevin
Well, then, you'll have to find that study if you think it exists. Somehow I doubt the veracity of a test of old suspension leather saddle vs. modern-design saddle when it comes to fertility, an outcome that has myriad variables one would have to account for. Now, if it's about prostate health, that might be a different story. But fertility?

And my anecdote is that I rode Brooks leather saddles through my child-producing years (I'm 57 with two kids, ages 15 and 19). I'll continue to do so!
Old 07-24-17, 10:15 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
How did this thread get hijacked into a Brooks liability discussion? Show us your Super Course, great bikes, whatever saddle you prefer.
Old 07-24-17, 10:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would bet money that in the vast expanse of this bike forum, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
It hasn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-17, 10:27 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, then, you'll have to find that study if you think it exists. Somehow I doubt the veracity of a test of old suspension leather saddle vs. modern-design saddle when it comes to fertility, an outcome that has myriad variables one would have to account for. Now, if it's about prostate health, that might be a different story. But fertility?

And my anecdote is that I rode Brooks leather saddles through my child-producing years (I'm 57 with two kids, ages 15 and 19). I'll continue to do so!
No, as I said earlier the burden of proof is not on me. Unless of course you suspect that the infertility researchers were in bed with the new wave of bicycle seat designers/manufacturers.

Yes, there are a myriad of variables attached to this issue like; your particular groin configuration, your weight, how hard you ride and how hard you press your groin against the seat...etc, etc.

For me at my age, I'd be more concerned about rising PSA's and a possible link to prostate cancer. Anything that drives your PSA count up should be taken seriously....although PSA results are under fire (as of late) for being the end game test in prostate cancer.

To the poster who accuses me of "hijacking" this thread. I was discussing points on the poster's recent bronze SC purchase and threw in the part about older saddle design. Hardly hijacking and think whatever you want about the issue.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 10:34 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It hasn't.
Hmmm....I'm dumbfounded. Maybe it's been too long since the newer padded seats have come out.

BTW boys seem to have been be exempt from this issue.....so much is changing down there, that their hard riding seems to have no effect on fertility unless they continued as young men with the old seat design.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 10:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I contend that your assertion about leather saddles is untrue, and it might not have even been discussed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-24-17, 10:40 AM
lugsNleather58

Bikes: 1972 Chrome Paramount, 1974 Raleigh International, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1986 Trek 520

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
I agree...a nice Stronglight set only adds to the bike's fucntion and looks. Ditch the HEAVY steel crank set. Simplex shifters were the factory issue....early 70's. Show us some close ups of the head tubing/lugs.

As far as the comment about the International....everyone I knew that bought one was disappointed. They were exepcting some high-end racer's edge bike and got a completely touring set up framewise. And unfortunately for the bikes themsleves, the Campy stuff was so high-end that people often robbed the gearing off the frames and put them on other bikes. In those days, everyone wanted the look/feel of the racer's edge in bikes....even if they never raced a lick.

Kevin
I was only 14 and definitely not a racer (or a wannabe racer), so I'm sure the subtleties of International vs Professional would have eluded me. The Reynolds 531 DB and the Campy components were the main appeal to me. Truth be told, if I had the funds, I would have bought the Schwinn P15 Paramount, which listed about $100 less than the International.

As it was, the Super Course served me well for 14 years until it was replaced by a Trek 520 in the mid 80s. I bought and restored my current SC out of nostalgia, and I really enjoy riding it. I still have my Brooks B15 saddle from 1972, and I wouldn't trade it for anything -it still fits me perfectly.
Old 07-24-17, 10:52 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lugsNleather58
I was only 14 and definitely not a racer (or a wannabe racer), so I'm sure the subtleties of International vs Professional would have eluded me. The Reynolds 531 DB and the Campy components were the main appeal to me. Truth be told, if I had the funds, I would have bought the Schwinn P15 Paramount, which listed about $100 less than the International.

As it was, the Super Course served me well for 14 years until it was replaced by a Trek 520 in the mid 80s. I bought and restored my current SC out of nostalgia, and I really enjoy riding it. I still have my Brooks B15 saddle from 1972, and I wouldn't trade it for anything -it still fits me perfectly.
Well, in keeping with that thinking....I bought a super nice used Grand Prix from a bike shop in the early 70's. I put Sun Tour gearing on it almost immediately. I wanted an alloy crank set, but lacked the funds at the time. In my young ignorance (and I blame the bike shop as well), I never knew about lines above the GP. If I had, I would have eventually bought the Competition series (maybe higher) as I got a bit older. I might have raced bikes too given the opportunity, but that eluded me as a possibility. No Internet, didn't hang around bike shops, didn't pick up bike mags....just serious biking for lack of a car. Ignorance was bliss.

I came into this thread originally with a SC purchase. What I really wanted was a Competition GS, which so far had eluded me. Then I scored big with a local GS that was bone stock original, except for the seat...lol.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 11:13 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I contend that your assertion about leather saddles is untrue, and it might not have even been discussed.
I contend that you need to Google the past research on old-school leather saddle racing design with respect to health and groin issues and understand that these are not outlandish claims I've made up. I've said all I'm going to on the subject. Bury your head in the sand if you must....ride whatever you wish.

Kevin
Old 07-24-17, 11:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You made an assertion, and I need to google it to verify it? That's not how it works.

Old 07-25-17, 11:22 AM
IronDan

Bikes: My Bicycles. 1950's Dawes Unknown model, 1959 Triumph Palm beach tourist, 1960 Raleigh Trent tourist, 1967 Sun Snipe, 1976 Raleigh Scorpio (sold), 1980 Raleigh Transit, 1980 Carlton Grand Prix, 1983 Triumph team leader, 1984 Raleigh courier

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try again because my first attempt was all blurry

Old 07-25-17, 11:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by IronDan
I'll try again because my first attempt was all blurry
Pic assist

Old 07-26-17, 11:51 AM
IronDan

Bikes: My Bicycles. 1950's Dawes Unknown model, 1959 Triumph Palm beach tourist, 1960 Raleigh Trent tourist, 1967 Sun Snipe, 1976 Raleigh Scorpio (sold), 1980 Raleigh Transit, 1980 Carlton Grand Prix, 1983 Triumph team leader, 1984 Raleigh courier

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic assist

Thanks 😳
Old 07-29-17, 11:16 AM
356C

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1971 Super Course

Car and Bicycle bought in 1971, both used regularly today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2765.jpg (49.9 KB, 494 views)
Old 07-30-17, 08:53 PM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You made an assertion, and I need to google it to verify it? That's not how it works.
I made an assertion, yes. But I suggested you Goggle the research just like I did yrs ago. If the research is out there, why should I prove anything to you? I'm inviting you to draw your own conclusion based on past research. Your mind is already made up, ergo, you never had any issues yourself so there must not be a problem with the old-school saddles. That's how it doesn't work; a closed mind is a shut book.

Funny that you only see the the old-school leather saddles on retro bikes or restorations. Hmmmm....guess the bike saddle industry just figured everyone's butt needed a break.

Kevin
Old 07-30-17, 09:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

What I mean is that if you want me to believe something, tell me what you know. I'll listen. But I don't have to do your work to confirm or deny what you say. My unwillingness to do that is not the sign of a closed mind.

I see leather saddles on all kinds of bikes here. I see hundreds of bikes every day here in NYC in going about my day, without working in the industry.

Old 07-31-17, 12:58 AM
tonyoakes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I just got a 1973 Super Course that is my first project bike. I need to replace a broken fixed cup, worn adjustable cup and get new bearings. I am having trouble figuring out if this bike has 26 tpi cups or 24 tpi. What year did Raleigh make the change to the BCS threads? And I am also wondering if this bike was made by Carlton or if that is a series or something. Mine no longer has the decals but I have seen the decal under the seat online. Also what size seat post is used? Mine is too small and in rough shape. Thanks a lot.

Tony

Last edited by tonyoakes; 07-31-17 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 02:48 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My '73 Super Course has 1.37 x 24 BB cups, std English thread, but the fork steerer is 1 inch 26 tpi. Go figure. If its a '73, it should have the fancy Italian Capella lugs. Not sure but I think these were made by Carlton. My bike had no decals, but had been spray painted over when I found the frame. This paint is a new respray I had done. Not sure of seat post, but I'm thinking 26.2. Mine was damaged and I found one on ebay.
Attached Images
2017-05-06 11.09.14.jpg (90.4 KB, 452 views)
2017-07-09 15.12.15.jpg (86.8 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-31-17 at 02:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.