Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So, what's up with the shortage of turbo trainers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 10:19 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

I thought there was a real shortage of bicycles in the industry this year when I was shopping for one, until I started shopping for a trainer.

First of all, the LBSs around sold all of their Tacx and Wahoo trainers and have pre-sold the ones they are expecting to receive in the first weeks of November. Customers who want to pre-order now are expected to receive their product in February 2021, which is 2-3 months into Winter and 2 months away from being able to ride outside again.

On their side, Merlin Cycle & CCC have removed some of their trainers for international buyers. No more Tacx or Wahoo can be purchased from Canada. Not sure if it's still an option for a buyer from the US of A.

I have a pretty good idea of what's going on (from both a logical and economical perspective), but I thought I'd open the discussion for others who would also be in my position.

There's one thing we can't refute: 2020 = the year where a lot of people started cycling.

Last edited by eduskator; 10-28-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 10:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
This time of year in general is when people in Quebec(Montreal area in my case) start to think about indoor training. I bought my Elite Drivo 3 years ago about this time. I would have bought a cheaper alternative but none were in stock. When I went to the shop to pick mine up, they had 5 other Drivos out in the showroom, all sold. This year trainers are even more in demand with gym closures and many older cyclists unable to go south for the winter. In fact, last Friday I was out for what could be my last road ride for awhile and ran into a friend of mine who was in exactly this situation. He had recently bought an Elite Suito to be able to train this winter. I just checked the Damco website(they are one of two local distributors for Elite products) and all their trainers are out of stock so it is unlikely that local stores will have any unless the other distributor(Cycles Marinoni) has anything available. You could give them a call and find out

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-28-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 12:30 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This time of year in general is when people in Quebec(Montreal area in my case) start to think about indoor training. I bought my Elite Drivo 3 years ago about this time. I would have bought a cheaper alternative but none were in stock. When I went to the shop to pick mine up, they had 5 other Drivos out in the showroom, all sold. This year trainers are even more in demand with gym closures and many older cyclists unable to go south for the winter. In fact, last Friday I was out for what could be my last road ride for awhile and ran into a friend of mine who was in exactly this situation. He had recently bought an Elite Suito to be able to train this winter. I just checked the Damco website(they are one of two local distributors for Elite products) and all their trainers are out of stock so it is unlikely that local stores will have any unless the other distributor(Cycles Marinoni) has anything available. You could give them a call and find out
Thanks! CCC has the Elite Drivo on sale right now at 1000$ available to Canadian customers.

How's your experience with the product? I'm buying a Flux 2 soon, but transaction is not done.
Old 10-28-20, 03:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Thanks! CCC has the Elite Drivo on sale right now at 1000$ available to Canadian customers.

How's your experience with the product? I'm buying a Flux 2 soon, but transaction is not done.
Good experience so far(3 years), including a few months my son borrowed it to train for the Mont Tremblant Iron Man. It came back none the worse for wear
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-28-20, 04:49 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Everyone is dealing with Covid and the cold weather. Buying a trainer is a good investment.
I look for a lot of the Peloton bikes to be on the market in the next year. As people get tried of spin classes and paying 50 bucks a month to do them. At least with a trainer you can actual ride indoors on many different apps.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 10-28-20, 04:51 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
People started buying them up in droves when lockdown hit and the supply has never really fully recovered.

I have a nice little stockpile...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-28-20, 04:58 PM
Skimax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The Kickr and reconditioned Kickr Core and Kickrs are in stock on wahoo's website.
Old 10-28-20, 06:35 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
Things appeared to be getting tight here in mid-Michigan a few weeks back...fall will do that...a friend of mine bought a kickr and for the first time, i was interested...have always avoided the hamster wheel, but I'm no racer.
I had to drive an hour to get a lightly used set of cycle ops rollers and I'm glad I did. Still not a fan but I'm using it, so maybe I can come out of winter with a little conditioning this time.
Old 10-28-20, 07:50 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I bought a used Kurt Kinetic trainer in late spring for a great price that looked like it had never been used. It doesn't pay to wait till the first cold day to buy a winter trainer.
Old 10-29-20, 08:25 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I was just lucky that I purchased my smart trainer before the pandemic hit. Best investment I ever made. I just sold two dumb trainers, Cyclops and Kurt Kinetic and they sold within 30 minutes of posting on Kijiji. The price was not pandemic pricing so that helped to sell them quickly. Toronto for reference.
Old 10-29-20, 08:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
People started buying them up in droves when lockdown hit and the supply has never really fully recovered.

I have a nice little stockpile...
Reported. Hoarding.
Old 10-29-20, 08:34 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
A lot of people bought bikes as a way to exercise without going to the gym. It's not really surprising that trainers are in high demand as we move into colder weather.

I'm hoping to get through this winter with my rollers and dumb trainer, and after we kick COVID in the nuts maybe I can find someone looking to offload a barely used Wahoo Kickr in the spring for a discount.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-29-20, 09:44 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Everyone is dealing with Covid and the cold weather. Buying a trainer is a good investment.
I look for a lot of the Peloton bikes to be on the market in the next year. As people get tried of spin classes and paying 50 bucks a month to do them. At least with a trainer you can actual ride indoors on many different apps.
More likely you’ll see more cheap commercial real estate on the market from gyms closing than cheap Peloton bikes, people are going to be working out at home with indoor bikes, smart mirrors, and online classes and not going back to the gym for many years, if ever.
Old 10-29-20, 10:26 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
People are happy to spend 60-90% of their time at the slopes sitting on a cold bench in the air to just ski/board down a hill but aren’t curious about learning to ride a road bike on winter roads.

I consider myself an ex-skier and a winter cyclist who sometimes rides when it’s not winter. Pearl Izumi AmFib pants rule.
Old 10-29-20, 10:29 AM
Bobsled

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but, like everything else, demand exceeded supply.

By the way, you should try rollers instead of trainers.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Likes For Bobsled:
Old 10-29-20, 10:35 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
The actual amount is $39.00 which works out to one regular spin session a month. Peloton has the highest customer retention numbers ever in the sports/fitness industry so not sure what you are basing your prediction on? These other apps you mention also have fees attached so the cost differential is minimal especially when taking into account all the features and services included in the Peloton ecosystem. I am not a Peloton user rather purchased a Kickr Bike however no need to denigrate a transformative product that has extremely high customer satisfaction levels.
Old 10-29-20, 11:44 AM
Ed Wiser

Originally Posted by velopig
The actual amount is $39.00 which works out to one regular spin session a month. Peloton has the highest customer retention numbers ever in the sports/fitness industry so not sure what you are basing your prediction on? These other apps you mention also have fees attached so the cost differential is minimal especially when taking into account all the features and services included in the Peloton ecosystem. I am not a Peloton user rather purchased a Kickr Bike however no need to denigrate a transformative product that has extremely high customer satisfaction levels.
I am in many other types of forums with people who are not “bike” and have purchased the Peloton due to Covid. Because they can not go to a gym. I have several friends who have had them for several years now and have drifted away from spin classes after being into it for a year. There has been a surge in all home exercise equipment. We will see a shake out in the market once the Covid situation passes and people will be able to go to gyms again.
I have always spent time in the winter riding indoors. People will spend 12 to 14 dollars a month on a cycling app. Bumping it up to 39 dollars a month. Will separate users when they can go back to gyms.
Old 10-29-20, 12:33 PM
msu2001la

It's funny to see people slamming the cost of Peloton a forum where $8k+ road bikes attached to $2000 trainers run through $15/mo Zwift are a common thing.

Pelotons + monthly membership aren't that expensive when you're simultaneously cancelling your monthly memberships at Equinox, Orange Theory, SoulCycle, PURE Barre and the yoga studio up the street. I don't think any of that stuff is coming back for a while.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-29-20, 12:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
It's funny to see people slamming the cost of Peloton a forum where $8k+ road bikes attached to $2000 trainers run through $15/mo Zwift are a common thing.

Pelotons + monthly membership aren't that expensive when you're simultaneously cancelling your monthly memberships at Equinox, Orange Theory, SoulCycle, PURE Barre and the yoga studio up the street. I don't think any of that stuff is coming back for a while.
The thing that hurts my sensibilities is when someone that doesn't have a nice bike buys a peloton. I guess that route is easier for the uninitiated, but you could get a trainer and a snazzy bike, that works inside and outside, for the same price. My clubmate was recently driven batty when his sister expressed interest in a Peloton and he couldn't talk her in to a real bike.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-29-20, 01:06 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The thing that hurts my sensibilities is when someone that doesn't have a nice bike buys a peloton. I guess that route is easier for the uninitiated, but you could get a trainer and a snazzy bike, that works inside and outside, for the same price. My clubmate was recently driven batty when his sister expressed interest in a Peloton and he couldn't talk her in to a real bike.
I'm with you... I would never buy a Peloton (or any other "smart bike") because I'd rather spend the money on an actual bike that I can also ride.

That said, I don't think road cyclists are the target demographic for Peloton sales. Most of the people I know who are into Peleton are women who have zero interest in serious road cycling, but really like high-intensity group workouts, and are tired of "the scene" at their gyms and/or spinning studios.
Old 10-29-20, 04:34 PM
Ed Wiser

This is a view that I was referring to.

This is not new and why people go to gyms is to get out of the house and all the distractions that trying to exercise at home does.
I am retired so I get up before my wife for a couple hours anyway. This allows me to get in a ride everyday. When this covid is over will add weight training to the mix to.
Old 10-29-20, 05:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by BillyD
Reported. Hoarding.
It's just a Hammer for me and an H3 for her... and a slightly-broken Stac... and a KKRM...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-29-20, 05:55 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by msu2001la

None of my bikes cost $8k, and I'm barely aware of any trainers that cost $2k. The most expensive semi-common one is the Tacx Neo at $1400, and more people use the Kickr at $1200 or the Hammer at $1000.

Really though, it comes to perceived value - cyclists don't perceive Peloton bikes as having much value. We're not the target market. And I pay $79/year for Rouvy. Zwift can DIAF.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-29-20, 07:11 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
None of my bikes cost $8k, and I'm barely aware of any trainers that cost $2k. The most expensive semi-common one is the Tacx Neo at $1400, and more people use the Kickr at $1200 or the Hammer at $1000.

Really though, it comes to perceived value - cyclists don't perceive Peloton bikes as having much value. We're not the target market. And I pay $79/year for Rouvy. Zwift can DIAF.

Okay, but even if you revise the numbers to $3,000 bikes and $1,000 trainers my point is that a $2200 Peloton and a $40/mo subscription is not an outrageously expensive purchase in the context of Road Cycling, which is a fairly expensive hobby.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-29-20, 07:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I got a cobwebbed Kinetic fluid trainer and riser block for free in May, at the beginning of good weather season in the PNW, because the woman giving it away had bought a Peloton. Hope she's finding their workout videos more compelling. She had to take down her Craigslist ad an hour after posting because she was inundated by emails from interested parties.

My wife uses the Kinetic. I use a reconditioned Kickr that I bought in March when Wahoo had them discounted, with the Kickr Climb, and a Kickr Mat that was actually the most difficult piece to acquire at the time. I'm pretty satisfied with the timing of my investments on the trainer front. I still ride outside when the weather is crap, because I've accumulated a lot of foul weather kit, but without a commute, I only do so if I feel like it. During the workweek, it's a lot less fuss to just hop on the trainer after dinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.