Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 08:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How do you explain cyclists who have never even rode a fixed gear or singlespeed bike in their whole life, and who still end up with knee problems and some even need knee replacement ?..
Saddle too high/low, knee alignment issues, genetics, etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-20-23, 08:37 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ah, but would Peter Sagan actually want to be riding a crappy bike?
He is on a Specialized so I think we know the answer to that
Old 01-20-23, 08:39 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Hermes
Moderation note: The thread topic is about the high cost of bikes and not knees. Please return to topic. Thank you.
Does any troll thread stay on topic by page 27? Sorry, that was OT too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-20-23, 08:40 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
He is on a Specialized so I think we know the answer to that
I don't actually? Are you implying Specialized high-end bikes are crap?
Old 01-20-23, 08:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've been riding fixed gear (no SS for me) since I was 13, in 1964,
I rotate between FG and SS and don't limit myself to one particular one. The gear ratio on my bikes is also quite low compared to what I see and hear other people using. I don't race or participate in any form of competition. I am 53 years old and so far never experienced any form of knee discomfort from cycling as yet. I just hope that. I can continue riding that way.
Old 01-20-23, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Moderation note: The thread topic is about the high cost of bikes and not knees. Please return to topic. Thank you.

Would I be out of line to suggest that the original topic has been exhausted by this and another nearly identical thread, had degenerated into an insult-festival, and should be closed?

The nearly identical thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-000-bike.html
Old 01-20-23, 09:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't actually? Are you implying Specialized high-end bikes are crap?
It was tongue in cheek
Old 01-20-23, 09:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
EDITED:
Oh, okay. Let's get off our knees.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 01-20-23 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 09:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Read a few of the speculative posts concerning knee pain above this post. In my case, the knee pain definitely resulted from fixed-gear riding. Bike riding is my only exercise. No stretching, no weights, no running.
Sorry, conclusion not supported by facts in evidence.

You have no idea why your knees wore out, or if doing some other activity they would have worn out sooner or not ... or if riding a geared bike you would have had exactly the same issues ...

But here is the Real flaw in your "argument": It is HOW a tool is used, that determines the outcome.

if you didn't take care of your knees, that is on You, not the style of bike.

If you abused your knees by riding in such a away as to overload them, that is All You. Not the bike. You could have ridden more carefully, zig-zagged up hills, taken alternate routes, used a bike with two gears on a flippable hub .... or walked when the pressure on the knees go t too great. You chose not to. Now you suffer ... but you blame the bike.

That is like saying, "I cut my hand off with a knife so knives are bad."

Lots of people lift weights ... some into their 80s and beyond. Is weightlifting thus proven safe? But some folks hurt themselves lifting weights. Does this prove weightlifting is dangerous.

User error .... take responsibility. If you had listened when your knees complained, and adjusted your riding style, you might be enjoying pain-free SS or FG miles to this day.

Is it Easier to hurt yourself riding FG or SS? Depends. is it impossible to ride SS or FG for an entire lifetime without knee injury. of course.

Stop blaming the bike for the rider.

On a related note .... some people grind, and some others claim their knees will kneesplode. Not if they stay within their individual limits, though.

I cannot do an aerial or a backflip. If I did I would likely get really hurt, possibly crippled. Therefore, backflips and aerials are dangerous ... well, yes. Even a gymnast or dancer can get hurt (lots do.) People also get hurt typing on keyboards.

Blame everything. Ban everything.

Being alive inevitably leads to death, so obviously we need to stop life ... for the sake of safety.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-20-23, 09:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not SS. Very low cadence at very high power over an extended period.
Nope ... close but not right.

Exceeding personal limits has consequences.

There it is.

Nothing is inherently, inevitably damaging except intentional damage. if you are careful to stay within your capacities and abilities, nothing is inherently damaging. If @Livedarklion's knees like grinding, and mine don't ... well so what?

Low cadence and high load ... Nope. Just High Load. Cadence is not the issue, it is Load. The confusion is that when riding single speed or fixed, and climbing hills, low cadence and high load often go together .... but it isn't the cadence, it is the load. Try squatting 100 pounds once a day, and then try squatting 1000 pounds once a day. You likely won't benefit from the former, nor survive the latter ... you will be lying under the bar in your garage with a whole host of broken bones.

Load beyond what the system can bear is what causes system failure. Not the number of gears on the bike, nor even how fast they spin.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-20-23, 09:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Would I be out of line to suggest that the original topic has been exhausted by this and another nearly identical thread, had degenerated into an insult-festival, and should be closed?

The nearly identical thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-000-bike.html
Not at all, I think this thread has run its course - long ago. Quite frankly, I was waiting for someone to complain. I find it pretty boring at this point.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-20-23, 09:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Probably a good time to close it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-20-23, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Nope ... close but not right.

Exceeding personal limits has consequences.

There it is.

Nothing is inherently, inevitably damaging except intentional damage. if you are careful to stay within your capacities and abilities, nothing is inherently damaging. If @Livedarklion's knees like grinding, and mine don't ... well so what?

Low cadence and high load ... Nope. Just High Load. Cadence is not the issue, it is Load. The confusion is that when riding single speed or fixed, and climbing hills, low cadence and high load often go together .... but it isn't the cadence, it is the load. Try squatting 100 pounds once a day, and then try squatting 1000 pounds once a day. You likely won't benefit from the former, nor survive the latter ... you will be lying under the bar in your garage with a whole host of broken bones.

Load beyond what the system can bear is what causes system failure. Not the number of gears on the bike, nor even how fast they spin.
So, if you want to reduce the load at a given speed, power, and incline, you can increase your cadence by using a lower gear.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-20-23, 09:45 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Thread closed.
Likes For Hermes: