Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 08:22 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by geohero513
i really like the look of your bike. subdued and serious.
Old 09-09-14, 08:23 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Here's my commuter, a 1991 Stumpjumter drop bar conversion. Only things original are the headset and rear hub. Except for the rims and dynamo hub on front everything else was from my parts bin, so a pretty inexpensive build (bought the bike for $150. Was in great shape, but the back half had been painted with a rattle can. I had it powder coated and used parts for two High Sierra builds for my boys). I'm posting the pics mostly to illustrate the locking scheme I've arrived at. Sorry about the non drive side pics, especially since they don't show off my favorite derailleurs (Suntour Cyclone MkII, also on my 1985 Miyata Six Ten).

Old 09-09-14, 08:43 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Here's my commuter, a 1991 Stumpjumter drop bar conversion. Only thing original is the headset and rear hub. Except for the rims and dynamo hub on front everything else was from my parts bin, so a pretty inexpensive build (bought the bike for $150. Was in great shape, but the back half had been painted with a rattle can. I had it powder coated and used parts for two High Sierra builds for my boys). I'm posting the pics mostly to illustrate the locking scheme I've arrived at. Sorry about the non drive side pic, especially since it doesn't show off my favorite derailleurs (Suntour Cyclone MkII, also on my 1985 Miyata Six Ten).

needs more locks
Old 09-09-14, 09:03 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I purchased this 2014 Jamis Nova Sport this Spring for my 30 mile round trip commute. "The Gray Phantom" has served me very well. The first picture is the bike fully loaded before ride, the second is it locked at work. I also took advantaged of the before mentioned Thule panniers sale.

Are you able to keep an eye on your bike from inside while it's out there? I would use a couple more locks if I were you, to secure the front wheel to the frame and also the saddle. As it is now, someone could easily make off with your front wheel and saddle/post.
Old 09-09-14, 09:37 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Nice bike! If I ever find an old Trek Antelope in my size and in good condition I plan to set it up about like that. That's about how I lock my bike too, except I use a cable for the front wheel instead of a U-lock, and a thinner cable for the saddle. I don't have to lock my bike outside during the work day though.

Originally Posted by revcp
Here's my commuter, a 1991 Stumpjumter drop bar conversion. Only things original are the headset and rear hub. Except for the rims and dynamo hub on front everything else was from my parts bin, so a pretty inexpensive build (bought the bike for $150. Was in great shape, but the back half had been painted with a rattle can. I had it powder coated and used parts for two High Sierra builds for my boys). I'm posting the pics mostly to illustrate the locking scheme I've arrived at. Sorry about the non drive side pics, especially since they don't show off my favorite derailleurs (Suntour Cyclone MkII, also on my 1985 Miyata Six Ten).

Old 09-09-14, 11:37 AM
geohero513

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Are you able to keep an eye on your bike from inside while it's out there? I would use a couple more locks if I were you, to secure the front wheel to the frame and also the saddle. As it is now, someone could easily make off with your front wheel and saddle/post.
I work in a secluded suburban business park and the only real traffic is from my co-workers. Having said that, I am still somewhat concerned about security. I replaced my front wheel quick release skewers with security hex style ones, but I'll still get another lock anyway. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-11-14, 09:05 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
My commuter on a recreational ride in Newport, RI. I only wish I had views like this on my commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140909_095510_1000x1300.jpg (98.3 KB, 419 views)
Old 09-11-14, 07:15 PM
jacobinchina

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moved from the other side of the world. I bought a used Surly Pacer thinking I could put fenders and a rack on it, but I got worried about upcoming snow and somebody put the silly idea of trying cyclocross in my head. Hence the CAADX on the bottom. Let's just agree not to tell the wife that the CAADX is new.
Attached Images
IMG_0036.jpg (95.1 KB, 407 views)
Old 09-11-14, 07:39 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by killian21
Here's my newest:

2014 Kona Dr. Good:

Only had it a few months, loving it so far. Removed the basket and it rides much better. Need to add rear panniers and new lights.

{Other bike clipped**
I love how this bike looks . . .
Old 09-11-14, 08:26 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
@revcp
Locks are one thing, the pole choice is the other. Those poles are usually just shoved into the dirt. Not good.
Old 09-12-14, 11:19 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
It's finally ready and I love it.
Everything replace except frame, fork, stem, crank, bb (extracted, cleaned, lubed, and re-installed though)

Attached Images
Photo Sep 12, 1 13 47 PM.jpg (92.1 KB, 453 views)
Old 09-12-14, 11:30 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestMass
Everything replace except frame, fork, stem, crank, bb (extracted, cleaned, lubed, and re-installed though)

Simple, clean an nice. I like it. What do you teach?
Old 09-12-14, 11:49 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
7th grade - human evolution & ancient civilizations!

Yeah I love the simplicity of it. The stem-mounted bell sounds great too.

I find that I ride a lot faster when riding singlespeed vs. riding a geared bike when commuting.
Old 09-12-14, 12:31 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestMass

Looks good, though you took a picture of the wrong side. Need drive side pictures!
Old 09-14-14, 01:22 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
An updated photo of Tilly. Beautiful, sunny day today, after raining Friday night and all day Saturday.

I couldn't ride today, so I got out the bikes and cleaned them up a bit. Don't mind the messy garage, going out to clean it up in a few minutes.
Attached Images
recent Tilly.jpg (98.0 KB, 371 views)
Old 09-15-14, 02:00 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailer Commuter

2007 Fisher Nirvana hybrid with Burley D'Lite.

Got the trailer originally for the kids but it's turned out to be good for commuting now that they're bigger and on their own bikes.
It does slow me down 2-3 mph (MUCH worse with a headwind), but I like being able to carry all my gym gear, lunch, and work clothes with me and still be able to stop off for groceries on the way home. I also have a pretty extensive bike emergency kit including spare tubes for everything the family rides, tools, and a floor pump, plus a first aid kit. The other plus is, when I do get to ride my road bike, it feels like a rocket

First thing I always do with a bike is destroy the rear wheel. The OEM rear wheel lasted about a year, then I had a local wheel builder lace a Salsa rim to the original hub. That was good for about 6 years. This is now my third rear wheel; Velocity Dyad rim, 36 spokes, new Deore XL hub. Hopefully this will be as good or better than the Salsa.
New tires, too - Continental Touring Plus Reflex. They ride great and the reflective strip is BRIGHT. Hopefully will give good wear and puncture resistance.
Also just put the fenders on Saturday, now it looks like I will have a chance to try them out on my way home as we are in for a rain storm.

Went for the 'two cheap flashlights' front lighting solution, and it's working fine for me so far. The smaller one has a strobe mode, and the longer one has 2 AAs to last a bit longer and seems to throw the beam farther. Between the two of them I think I am pretty visible and can see plenty well enough. Best of all the whole thing runs on cheap rechargeable AAs. Also have a couple of red flashers on the back of the trailer, and tons of reflective stuff on me and the bike.
The bike came with a mix of Alivio and Deore, no problems with any of it so far.
I do like the bar ends just for another position to put my hands in.
The grips are deteriorating pretty badly and I'd like to replace them at some point.
Also incredi-Bell (state law requirement) and cateye wirelss computer

Love my PowerGrips - next best thing to clipless pedals. These have been on the bike 5+ years.

AWESOME security staff in my office set aside this stairwell for staff bicycle parking.
Is there some kind of bike commuter friendly award I can nominate them for?
Attached Images
bikeNtrailerONbridge.jpg (101.9 KB, 382 views)
fenderNwheel.jpg (110.3 KB, 341 views)
barsNgear.jpg (108.2 KB, 343 views)
pedalsWpowergrips.jpg (93.4 KB, 344 views)
parkingSpot.jpg (96.3 KB, 356 views)
Old 09-15-14, 02:08 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
2007 Fisher Nirvana hybrid with Burley D'Lite.

Is there some kind of bike commuter friendly award I can nominate them for?
That is one comprehensive set up you have going. You have not forgotten tubes for the trailer have you? That happened to us one, everyone was covered but the trailer.

I like the flashlight testimonial; I have been trying to determine what my next light set up will be. I just feel that I need to up my light game and those have crossed my mind.

The security staff does need a kudos.
Old 09-15-14, 02:25 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
That is one comprehensive set up you have going. You have not forgotten tubes for the trailer have you? That happened to us one, everyone was covered but the trailer.
Yes, I have several sizes of tubes so the emergency kit looks like someone held up a bike store and got stuck in the tubes section. My wife's bike and this one use the same tubes, so a couple of those. Plus my daughter's bike and my son's bike (another size), and my other daughter and the trailer (third size). Plus a patch kit just in case ;-)

We've always commuted as a family for short trips in good weather, so a lot of this gear just kind of congealed over the years. This Summer things kind of reached a critical mass where my bike became a more convenient and enjoyable way to get to work (or I just suddenly realized this) thus prompting the lights and fenders.
Old 09-16-14, 08:39 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast1966
This is my favorite way to go to work, or almost anywhere for that matter. My 2009 Kona Dew Drop.
Welcome to Bike Forums.

Very nice bike.

Old 09-16-14, 10:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I like the flashlight testimonial; I have been trying to determine what my next light set up will be. I just feel that I need to up my light game and those have crossed my mind.
I use a "regular" flashlight, attached to the handlebars with two interlocking hose clamps (cranked down with a socket wrench). A couple of pics...

It is super bright -- advertised at I think 1600 lumens, probably a bit less in reality, but essentially like a car headlight, I can ride in pitch black, no streetlights, and see the road just fine. You can see I've got it angled down a fair bit, and the sliding head allows to set the beamwidth, I can get a good-width spot at a good distance in front of me, which doesn't go up into eyes or bounce off street signs. For a similar light, search eBay for "cree xml-t6 zoomable", and expect to pay under $20 for a package including light, charger and 18650 batteries. Also expect the batteries to be crap and last only a few months, so plan to buy a better pair of 18650s from a trusted US-based source (I spent $10 at batteryjunction.com for a 2600mAh pair that lets me charge weekly).
Old 09-16-14, 11:20 AM
geohero513

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased this 2014 Jamis Nova Sport this Spring for my 30 mile round trip commute. "The Gray Phantom" has served me very well. The first picture is the bike fully loaded before ride, the second is it locked at work. I also took advantaged of the before mentioned Thule panniers sale.

Thule Commuter Pannier set

Some have asked what I think of my new Thule panniers. Let me just say that I am thoroughly in love with these bags! Prior to these, I had the Axiom Lasalles, which I also like, but the Thule bags seem to be of better quality and look so much better to me. Their functionality both on and off the bike is unmatched. The Thule bags are too narrow for distance touring, but are perfect for my daily commute. I can fit several books, a laptop, and a change of clothes, and my lunch. Depending on your bike and type of rack, some may have an issue with foot clearance. My rack is far enough back that this is not an issue for me. All in all, I would highly recommend them at twice the price I paid at bikebagshop.com.

Good Luck!
Old 09-16-14, 02:38 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Still enjoying these hazy days of summer and for the most part, have been running light... did some wheel / tyre swapping on the DBR which lightened things up a little more.

Old 09-16-14, 06:06 PM
trevordj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thule Commuter Pannier set

Some have asked what I think of my new Thule panniers. Let me just say that I am thoroughly in love with these bags! Prior to these, I had the Axiom Lasalles, which I also like, but the Thule bags seem to be of better quality and look so much better to me. Their functionality both on and off the bike is unmatched. The Thule bags are too narrow for distance touring, but are perfect for my daily commute. I can fit several books, a laptop, and a change of clothes, and my lunch. Depending on your bike and type of rack, some may have an issue with foot clearance. My rack is far enough back that this is not an issue for me. All in all, I would highly recommend them at twice the price I paid at bikebagshop.com.

Good Luck!
Agreed, I have fit a similar amount of gear in my two bags. I have used them for a few weeks now and they are a good deal at twice the price. In fact, I saw these exact bags at performance bike the other day for $120... a piece! Anyone on the fence about those bags should jump on it before they are gone.
@brooklyn I tried to respond to your PM but I cannot write PMs on this forum until I have 50 posts! Hopefully you see this reply. The magnet system works like a charm and was super easy to install on my rack. I made the mistake of purchasing the universal mount magnet in addition to the bags thinking it wasn't included, it is. The bags come with everything you need to get them setup on most racks. They even come with an extra set of plastic tube mounts in case you have larger diameter tubing on your rack.
Old 09-16-14, 07:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
What Surly is that? And also, point me toward those brake mounted shifters. I like the bar ends on my cross check, but i'd consider switching to those for the convenience if they work well (and better?) i'm interested to hear a review of them.
Old 09-16-14, 09:16 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
mmmm.... Gevenalle (nee RevoShift) levers.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.