Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Skipping problem continues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Skipping problem continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 03:13 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please fix the bike and let us know...
Old 02-20-13, 03:40 PM
Giant40

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airburst
No, we did explain why you needed a new chain. Chains elongate as they wear, which accellerates wear to your rear sprocket. That's the "why". Your chain is worn to the point where riding the bike has destroyed your cassette and probably your chainrings. What else would you like to know? I promise to explain it civilly and calmly.
But the questions I asked afterward were met with hostility; questions about how the wear happened so much quicker than on my other bikes, and how to avoid it in the future. I don't think those kinds of questions are so unreasonable. If you think so, then you and anyone who agrees with you obviously don't understand the purpose of a discussion forum
Old 02-20-13, 03:41 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jebus-weeps.jpg (16.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-20-13, 03:44 PM
Giant40

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
Speechless, Cranky?

Last edited by Giant40; 02-20-13 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 04:01 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant40
But the questions I asked afterward were met with hostility; questions about how the wear happened so much quicker than on my other bikes, and how to avoid it in the future.
Contango did answer that question by saying that unless you've got some serious mileage on the other bikes, that chain didn't wear that much quicker than the others.

Originally Posted by contango
7 years is about 2,500 days, and if you're talking about two miles per day then that's about 5000 miles on the chain.
Anyway, a wet weather bike will usually go through chains faster anyway, because water splashing up from the road gets on the chain and carries dirt into it, where it accelerates wear.
Old 02-20-13, 04:22 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
But the questions I asked afterward were met with hostility; questions about how the wear happened so much quicker than on my other bikes, and how to avoid it in the future. I don't think those kinds of questions are so unreasonable. If you think so, then you and anyone who agrees with you obviously don't understand the purpose of a discussion forum
As I posted many of the answers and probably most of the text, and have read again every response I will post once more after all. You are flat out wrong in your characterization of the responses to your question about why it happened (post 42). The following posts answered your question about cause with little if anything one could characterize as hostility: 43 45 48 54 55 63. You did receive some posts that most likely reflected frustration or even anger - emotions somewhat understandable when it took you til post 42 to begrudgingly acknowledge what you knew almost a year ago, and witheld both that and other relevent information. On top of it you were ready to cast aside everything that had been said when you came up with your own explanation in post 66.

Maybe some of the responses were less than graceful, but in the entire thread I saw very little openness to learning or correcting mistaken beliefs on your part, barely any gratitude and absolutely no apology. Instead you accuse others of attacking you.

This subforum's function is primarily to ask for and give advice and opinions, not merely to discuss. I can discuss dozens of reasons for chain skip and you could pick one at random that you like. If that's the approach you want try the Bicycletutor.com forums. The moderators are openly hostile to anyone who suggests taking the bike to a shop and the participants are overly generous in providing "it happened to me once and it was ___________ "solutions."

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-20-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 04:54 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quit getting all worked up every time I ask a question. Man, you sound like some bully supervisor at a job who wants people to do exactly what he says and doesn't care if the employee understands why. Don't you think some people come here to learn stuff, and not just to be told what to do? You don't seem to understand that at all.
I've really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt throughout this thread but seriously, listen to what people are saying.

Your chain is trashed, your cassette is almost certainly trashed and your chainrings may be trashed. Replace the chain and cassette, and be prepared to replace the chinrings. If you're not going to take the advice of people who can see textbook examples of trashed chains from the description why do you bother asking for advice?

If you can't afford it, you've got too much stuff. Ride another bike, or sell one bike so you can afford to maintain the others. But do something, otherwise you're just going to end up with multiple bikes that all have trashed drivetrains and you won't be able to ride any of them. You'll also struggle to sell any of them because anyone taking a test ride will soon realise that the first thing they'll have to do is drop some extra cash on the maintenance you should have done.

If your tyres are bald you replace the tyres. It's as easy as that. You don't argue that you can't afford new tyres so hunt in desperation for some other cheaper fix that might help, you either replace the tyres now or stop riding until you can afford new tyres. It's the same with your chain. Wrap it up any way you want, if it's extended by 4% it's ruined. Look at the picture of the cassette you posted, and look how the teeth on the largest sprocket compare to the teeth two sprockets in. If you really want, go buy a replacement cassette and you'll be able to see the difference if you hold the two side by side.

Seriously when my chain was 1% extended I could see the difference between my cassette and a new one and I had no idea what I was looking for. Your chain is four times as extended as mine was.
Old 02-20-13, 05:07 PM
FMB42

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see...knowledgeable people in here tell you that you need at least a new chain and cassette. Your local bike shop tells you the same. Others in here wisely suggest that you need a new chain, a new cassette, and new chainrings.

Yet, you still don't seem to "get it" or, you complain about the cost.

Next, you defect the obvious by wondering how this chain/cassette/chainring wear occurred in such "a short time" (in comparison to your other bikes). Well, I can tell you that you can, and will, experience accelerated drive-drain wear if you're riding on rain soaked and/or salted/sandy roads.

At this point you can either change the above mentioned parts and be done with it. Otherwise, you can continue to ignore and/or disagree with what should be obvious to you by now.

Btw, there are many free online bicycle maintenance/repair guides that can both help you with this particular problem and aid you in avoiding such troubles in the future. Below are just 2 such bicycle maint/repair guide links:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

https://sheldonbrown.com/repair/index.html

Again, your reluctance to accept what many in here have mentioned suggests that you might just be fishing.

The fact is that many of us in here have grown weary of attempting to answer "my tire is flat...what should I do?" questions and other "easy to resource" issues that anyone should be able to figure out by simply doing a little research.

But then again, many of us in here learned how to maintain/repair various bicycle types when we were just kids (long before there was an Internet). Some of us even managed to learn how to completely disassemble various types of bicycles before we reached our teens. This level of experience can sometimes come across as a form of arrogance. But believe me, many (if not most) of us are only try to help.

Anyway, I'd like to think that you'll take the time to make use of the above maint/repair links...
Old 02-20-13, 05:10 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude the guy just dont get it, if he wants to fix his bike the way he wants to, then good for him but this thread is really getting many out of their nerves hehehe
Old 02-20-13, 05:12 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Dude the guy just dont get it, if he wants to fix his bike the way he wants to, then good for him but this thread is really getting many out of their nerves hehehe
I've been helping a friend get an old bike back on the road - he hasn't got the spare cash to buy a new one. One of his tyres was completely destroyed, the rubber had perished. For some reason replacing the chain didn't work, but it was cheaper than buying a new tyre.
Old 02-20-13, 05:17 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
I've been helping a friend get an old bike back on the road - he hasn't got the spare cash to buy a new one. One of his tyres was completely destroyed, the rubber had perished. For some reason replacing the chain didn't work, but it was cheaper than buying a new tyre.
Was that chain air-dried or was the tire over inflated?
Old 02-20-13, 05:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
It wasn't hostility it was frustration.

The folks who post here aren't paid. They do this in a sincere effort to help those less experienced than they are. It's totally FREE from the goodness of their own hearts. I don't speak for others, but I never actually care if folks take my advice, I live by the concept that I should provide water, but it's strictly up to the horse whether to actually drink it. That said, when the horse repeatedly asks for water, and I repeatedly pump it from the well, then he should either drink or stop asking.

You've gotten plenty of advice and you can take or leave it, but don't expect unlimited patience from those who's prior advice you refuse to accept. And if you don't like the advice and choose to ignore it, don't blame those who've given up for quitting.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-20-13, 05:19 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KLiNCK
Was that chain air-dried or was the tire over inflated?
No idea, it was a random chain I found in a drawer of old junk. Maybe I should have cleaned it first. That'll fix the tyre problem, I'll let him know.
Old 02-20-13, 05:34 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
No idea, it was a random chain I found in a drawer of old junk. Maybe I should have cleaned it first. That'll fix the tyre problem, I'll let him know.
Thanks for the "heads-up!"
Old 02-20-13, 05:43 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hahahahaha... 3 stooges stuff eh?

Old 02-20-13, 06:48 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I've seen this before. Assert that because the parts aren't broken, they can't be the problem. One of my ride buddies is this way. "If it ain't broke, it ain't the problem". I don't care how much you explain or argue, it's still not the problem. The only cure is to let them make several trips to the LBS. There's nothing else you can do. bk
Old 02-20-13, 09:14 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IMO, those asking for free advice on a topic and not taking it, are exhibiting no better or worse judgement than those persistent in giving it...

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-20-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 10:28 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-20-13, 10:47 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously? that movie was not bad at all Was funny
Old 02-20-13, 11:07 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a movie? No wonder the pic is in color!

Was it Around The World In A Daze? I saw that when I was a kid!
Old 02-21-13, 12:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Beatings will continue until Crew Morale improves..
Old 02-21-13, 06:54 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
With that, I believe pretty much everything that can be said has been said now. Closing the thread. Any questions, please PM me.

--Juha, a Forum Mod

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines