Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

War

Old 02-26-22, 01:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Wait until they cannot get gas at any price, like it sometimes was in '73 (good grief, I'm old!) People were coming out to find holes had been punched in their gas tanks so people could steal the gas. Lines at the stations were miles long, with many cars running out of gas in line. The owners would push them up to the station, only to see them put out the "NO GAS" sign. Things got ugly. A friend of mine worked at a gas station then, and his job was to sit on the trunk of the last car in line they figured they had enough gas for with the NO GAS sign. (BTW, you were only allowed 5 gallons at a time, and could only buy it on even or odd days, depending on the last number of your license plate. They were regulary stolen, too.) He was assaulted on more than one occasion. Eventually, he would hide 'his lil' friend' behind the sign, if you get the Scarface analogy.
I was there. It was quite the story, and played a role in elections, but we still drove everywhere we needed to drive. My parents weren't buying bicycles; that thought is hilarious. My dad indeed would have murdered the neighbors for gasoline before buying a bike, I expect. Perhaps that's a stretch, but perhaps not.

I don't think America is going away from car culture anytime soon. We can run them on gasoline, diesel, CNG, LPG, and now with EVs from a wider variety of energy sources from coal to wind and solar.
Old 02-27-22, 01:03 AM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I was there. It was quite the story, and played a role in elections, but we still drove everywhere we needed to drive. My parents weren't buying bicycles; that thought is hilarious. My dad indeed would have murdered the neighbors for gasoline before buying a bike, I expect. Perhaps that's a stretch, but perhaps not.

I don't think America is going away from car culture anytime soon. We can run them on gasoline, diesel, CNG, LPG, and now with EVs from a wider variety of energy sources from coal to wind and solar.
Unfortunately not. It'll get more entrenched before it fades away, if anything
Likes For rybin:
Old 02-27-22, 01:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Yeah, during the first gas crisis gas got up to 30 cents a gallon. The lines for gas and even/odd days probably were worse than the price shock. But even with the ridiculous vehicles people are driving nowadays, the gas mileage they are getting is quite a bit better than back then, when an economy car might get low teens miles/gallon. It did kick off the bike boom though.

I just filled my car, a plug-in hybrid. $40 isn't much when the main concern is that it will go bad in the tank because it's not being used.

I'm sure a significant increase in gas prices will cause some to start cycling. It would be a good time for bike advocacy groups to give out lights/reflective gear
Old 02-27-22, 07:16 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
The lines were caused by the rationing and price controls.
No macro economic decision is made without major knock on effects.

Old 02-28-22, 10:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
I am car lite enough that the current rise in gas prices is a non-factor for me. Unfortunately, though, I am no going to make my goal of averaging fewer than 3,000 miles/year since I got the Forester at the beginning of July, 2016, because I have to work in my NJ office at least twice/week. I have been thinking about reviving my bike-train-bike commute once the weather improves, but we moved to a different office building complex and I am not sure there is a safe way to get there.
Old 02-28-22, 02:29 PM
HookUp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I drive a lifted Jeep Wrangler. Did not buy it for its stellar fuel economy.

So the short answer is no.
Old 02-28-22, 08:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by HookUp
I drive a lifted Jeep Wrangler. Did not buy it for its stellar fuel economy.

So the short answer is no.
Short being the operative word. Did you expect an invasion of a European country of 44M ppl this year? If nukes drop anywhere on the planet, the PRICE of gas won't be the issue. Whether or not civilians will be allowed to BUY gas at all will.
Old 02-28-22, 09:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
P&R is dead. Long live P&R
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-28-22, 09:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Gas prices were in the same range a decade ago, so it isn't a huge shock to most of the public. Prices will have to go substantially higher to change behavior.
Old 02-28-22, 10:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
P&R is dead. Long live P&R
The Living Car Free list has been staggering towards death for years. This thread is clear evidence that it is tottering over an open grave site.
Old 03-04-22, 03:19 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Gas just hit $6.00 a gallon in CA! OUCH! Just saying.
Old 03-04-22, 05:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Gas just hit $6.00 a gallon in CA! OUCH! Just saying.
Rona over, new crisis needed.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-05-22, 05:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Gas just hit $6.00 a gallon in CA! OUCH!
worth every penny to resist that lying, cheating POS puny putin & all his lying, cheating supporters, both foreign & domestic. but of course I wish it wasn't happening, because the domino effect will affect so much else. I remember in 1979, the year I got a job as a short order cook & front desk clerk at a small resort on the cape. the sign out front read: $22 for 2. my 1st week, the GM told me, if business doesn't pick up we won't be able to keep you on. fortunately July 4th weekend came & ppl got in there cars for vacation as usual. I forget what the price of gas was in NY at the time, I want to say 49 cents a gallon & there were lines. the cheapest places had the longest lines. I went to the more expensive stations because there was no line or a shorter line. a friend working at one asked me why & I said, your gas isn't much more expensive & I'm only paying another dollar for the full tank. as shocking as high prices are I try not to look at the total bill when I fill up, I just fill up. like every financial crisis it affects those that are the least able to pay. been driving 4 cylinders since gas hit $4 back in 2006? 2007? for my 44 mile round trip commute, electric bikes are looking more attractive these days!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-05-22, 06:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
A schadenfreuden wet dream for the greens.

I filled my home heating oil tanks up in November of 2020 for $1.59/Gal, $3.09 in December 2021 and now it is $4.64/gal to heat.

I shut it off and am burning wood.
Old 03-05-22, 06:19 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
The LBS is offering me a 80's Fixed Gear bicycle for long range commuting. (I have to go over Denver every now and then.18+ miles one way.) Boy, is that tempting! Should I start thinking long range about Gas prices? It's over $4.00+ here in Colorado and going up fast!
Old 03-05-22, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
The LBS is offering me a 80's Fixed Gear bicycle for long range commuting. (I have to go over Denver every now and then.18+ miles one way.) Boy, is that tempting! Should I start thinking long range about Gas prices? It's over $4.00+ here in Colorado and going up fast!
A fixed gear bicycle is not a good choice for long range commuting unless no other kind of bicycle is available, no matter what the price of gasoline.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-05-22, 04:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

So did we switch from Eastasia to Eurasia?

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
worth every penny to resist that lying, cheating POS puny putin & all his lying, cheating supporters, both foreign & domestic.
Let me paraphrase “ Bah. 4 legs good, 2 legs better.”
Old 03-06-22, 08:38 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
ALL the world governments AND our wants of convenience have contributed to the current world situations....

This is an opportunity for me to make more inclusive reasoning to take my bike longer, further, and into more inclement weather. Gotta fight war profiteering the best I can!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-06-22, 04:46 PM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
ALL the world governments AND our wants of convenience have contributed to the current world situations....

This is an opportunity for me to make more inclusive reasoning to take my bike longer, further, and into more inclement weather. Gotta fight war profiteering the best I can!
I'm with you. I'm strongly anti-war so I'll be making whatever sacrifices it takes to live my values
Likes For rybin:
Old 03-09-22, 07:14 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I would like to be entirely "car fee," but live too far away to commute every day so I am "car lite." I am in the category of folks that will commute more by bike and public transportation the higher fuel costs get. If gas hits $10/gal, I intend to drive very little.

I am seriously considering ditching the car and getting a very fuel efficient motorcycle. The Honda NC700X gets 60-70 MPG.
Old 03-10-22, 01:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
II am seriously considering ditching the car and getting a very fuel efficient motorcycle. The Honda NC700X gets 60-70 MPG.
Wouldn't it SUCK to be sideswiped at 55mph on the turnpike and have to number two in a plastic bag taped to your thigh for the rest of your life? Don't do it. And I say this as someone who had GREAT fun on a sportbike until I dropped it at over 55mph one summer afternoon in 1976.
Old 03-10-22, 07:59 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Oh OK.... I will take what you say below, and my 35 years of motorcycle riding experience into consideration.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Wouldn't it SUCK to be sideswiped at 55mph on the turnpike and have to number two in a plastic bag taped to your thigh for the rest of your life? Don't do it. And I say this as someone who had GREAT fun on a sportbike until I dropped it at over 55mph one summer afternoon in 1976.
Likes For timdow:
Old 03-10-22, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

wanted a mini bike when I was a kid cuz some other kinds in the neighborhood had them. Dad said there was no good place to ride them, so no. caught a cpl rides w/ friends, including as an adult on bigger bikes. never made the jump, mostly due to parking issues. Wifey's cousin had a mid-life change of heart (not crisis) & got a bike. sold it after he dumped it. no injuries that I heard about. colleague at worked got rear-end sitting at a stop light. busted a bunch of stuff & 2 years later is still recovering but he's back on his bicycle! just got married & bought a house. did not get another motorcycle. another colleague lost her Son when he crashed his motorcycle in NH. they are big on no helmets up there. every year I read about several that screw-the-pooch & wind up 6 feet under. the there's buddies like my late Jim R. who rode al his life. saw him flip a cute little Honda 250 over a chain blocking the school parking lot. got up brushed him self off & parked it. one tough SOB. a great pal that passed due to lung cancer. just couldn't give up the Marlboro reds. knowing me, I'd get studded tires on a motorcycle & dump it in the woods somewhere

juvenile love

the bikes on my block were not this nice
Old 03-10-22, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by timdow
I would like to be entirely "car fee," but live too far away to commute every day so I am "car lite." I am in the category of folks that will commute more by bike and public transportation the higher fuel costs get. If gas hits $10/gal, I intend to drive very little.

I am seriously considering ditching the car and getting a very fuel efficient motorcycle. The Honda NC700X gets 60-70 MPG.
I would consider a big scooter with an automatic transmission I think. if I can ride a bicycle to work, I can ride this street scooter to work

https://powersports.honda.com/street/scooter
Old 03-10-22, 10:36 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

I have commuted by motorcycle for almost 20 years to Coronado before giving it up a few years ago. I had been considering my options even before the conflict, but not driving as much or at all is now at the forefront for me.

I would like to use one of my standard bicycles to commute more, but the downside is the time it takes. Because I can't get on the freeway, I have to ride a ferry to work. Waiting for and riding the ferry costs me an extra 30 minutes per trip, or an extra hour per day in addition to the 2.5 to 3 hours it takes to do the 35 mile round trip. An E-bike would be faster, but still have to do the ferry, and I am not sure that an E-bike would be safer than a motorcycle, and also not sure the TCO of an E-bike would be that much less than a decent used motorcycle. I would love to live closer, but moving closer to work in not an option in "the least affordable city in the US."

For now, I have decided to use the standard bike combined with a trips home on public transportation. I may take the E-bike or motorcycle plunge if fuel costs stay high.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.