Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Old 01-14-23, 10:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Here is a picture of the bike being discussed. The main features are the frame, Roval wheels and E-tap group set. What I find interesting is that it is marketed as a UCI compliant 6.8 kg bike. This bike is not necessarily the lightest a rode bike can be but due to disc brakes and 50 mm Roval wheels and 28 mm tires, 6.8Kg as sold may be excellent. I have the 50 mm Roval wheels and really like them. They are fast, smooth and excellent on windy descents. I have the E-tap electronic shifting and prefer it to the Dura Ace electronic.

Old 01-14-23, 10:15 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
big john You beat me by a few minutes posting the pic. I found it interesting that in over page after page of discussion, no one talks about the bike very much or posts a pic.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-14-23, 10:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If I showed you a $5000 bike and a $14000 bike could you tell the difference between them???
Yes. Easily.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-14-23, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If I showed you a $5000 bike and a $14000 bike could you tell the difference between them???
Maybe not by looking at a picture. However if you let me ride them I probably could. The cheaper Specialized Tarmac I bought is probably 2½ - 3 lbs heavier than the S-Works Tarmac that was out at the same time.

If you were to suddenly give me that S-Works model that was $12,0000 back then, I'd be busting all the personal KOM's I have along the routes I ride. So yes I could tell just by that alone. However I expect the road feel will be different too with better wheels that give a better feel of the road which would likely give me more confidence to take turns at even higher speeds than I do now.

Most of whether a 14,0000 dollar bike is worth it or not will depend quite a bit on the type of riding one does. If we all just rode our bikes leisurely around the block once a week, probably not worth it except for the wow factor to others.
Old 01-14-23, 10:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I just read here, that Tesla is selling all their cars at a 20% discount right now. So you can now buy a base model Y, and get $13,000 off.
That will just about cover the price of a $14,000 Specialized wonderbike. So all things are possible in this, the best of all possible worlds.
Great idea. Only problem is then you'd be a Tesla owner.

And that's a deal breaker.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-14-23, 10:55 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm
One can get a Rodriguez custom steel ultralight frame that weighs 2.6 pounds for $3800.
Steel is Real.
If I were to go big spender on a bike, even with handpicked parts, brand new, and not on sale the price would be far below $14.

That Rodriguez would be near the top of my list for road. If I were to go gravel without a budget, it would probably be the Ritte Satyr in titanium.

Either one, spec’d with Campy EPS for the road and Ekar for gravel, would probably undershoot the price target by $3-4k.

I believe that there are $4-5k wheelsets available that could dramatically pump the price up. I also think that those do not come on a “stock” bike at any price.

$14k seems inflated to me. Im not the target market and I’m not offended by the price. I can’t see what it offers that $10k doesn’t though.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-14-23, 11:09 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 292 Posts
The idea that a 16 pound racing bicycle is worth $14,000 is ludicrous.
If so, the manufacturers won't sell any. The old racing expression is "Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?" I don't see how bikes are any different. When you get to a certain point, every gram, or every 10th of a MPH/KPH increases the cost of the equipment by a factor. So if you're a piker, like me, a bike that improves your pace from 17mph to 18mph might only cost you a couple grand. But if you're competing at a high level, it might cost you that same couple grand to improve from 25.1mph to 25.2mph.
Originally Posted by greatscott
Besides, the bike doesn't make the rider, the rider makes the bike, so other than having a very expensive bike, it won't do anything for a person's speed.
This is a true statement. However, a good rider on a good bike will still be faster than the same good rider on a crappy bike. In my triathlons, I've passed people on high end Felt and Canyon bikes, but I've also been passed by better riders on older Lemonds and Schwinns.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-14-23, 11:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Hermes
Here is a picture of the bike being discussed. The main features are the frame, Roval wheels and E-tap group set. What I find interesting is that it is marketed as a UCI compliant 6.8 kg bike. This bike is not necessarily the lightest a rode bike can be but due to disc brakes and 50 mm Roval wheels and 28 mm tires, 6.8Kg as sold may be excellent.
Are there still any sub-UCI limit bikes from the major manufacturers?

Yes, you can get below the limit with some component swaps. But as shipped?

OK, I found one--just barely below the limit: Scott Addict RC Ultimate, 6.7 kg, $15,999.99.

Still heavier than my 2011 Addict, which was 6.5 kg as shipped (and less than half the price). With some component swaps (wheels, cranks), it was easy to get mine below 6.3 kg (even after adding power pedals).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-14-23, 11:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How can a $53,000 car possibly be worth the money?
...this is the exact question all the people who bought them before the discounts kicked in are asking.
Old 01-14-23, 11:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Yes, you can get below the limit with some component swaps. But as shipped?

OK, I found one--just barely below the limit: Scott Addict RC Ultimate, 6.7 kg, $15,999.99.

Still heavier than my 2011 Addict, which was 6.5 kg as shipped (and less than half the price). With some component swaps (wheels, cranks), it was easy to get mine below 6.3 kg (even after adding power pedals).

It's all fun and games until the armed UCI agents start pounding down your door.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-14-23, 11:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Tarmac? TCR?
Old 01-14-23, 11:46 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You realize that #1 doesn't actually answer op's largely meaningless question, right? All you've done is push the question back another level to "why are people willing to pay for Dura-Ace and the labor for internal cabling?".
Guess what? There are objective reasons for why Dura Ace costs that much. Shimano used to publish a chart showing the materials used in each groupset, and you can see exactly how your money went towards titanium parts, forged aluminum parts, ball bearings instead of brass bushings, etc. And you can also see the additionally matching done to lighten the cranks and brake calipers, the 2-piece bonded hollow crank arm, carbon reinforced hollow chain rings, etc. So it’s not just ‘yeah, that’s what people will pay. What’s it to you?’
And sorry, but why the hell is subsidizing a team an argument " for" paying the money?
At no point was I justifying paying for this bike. I was explaining why the bike costs so much.

And if $5000 (about 35%) of the cost of a Tarmac is the Dura-Ace, calling that "handmade in the USA" is a bizarre redefining of handmade.
Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Obviously ‘made in USA’ applies to the parts made by Specialized.

Show your math for #2, that's a bunch of assertion masquerading as a question.
Feel free to rebut that assertion. You go ahead and count the parts count for a motorcycle and compare it with a bicycle.
Anyone who has worked on both motorcycles and bikes knows that motorcycles are vastly more complex with much more engineering and machining on every part. The much vaunted disc brakes on bikes is roughly at the 1975 level for motorcycles. The Di2 brains is rudimentary compared to the engine/traction control/speed shifting ECUs on the Motorcycles.

Anyways feel free to debate that premise. That would be an interesting debate. Whereas ‘it is what it is’ is not an interesting topic for debate.
Old 01-14-23, 11:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Tarmac? TCR?
Specialized advertises the Tarmac as "barely UCI legal".

About their Aethos, Specialized brags "we broke those sacred UCI rules too...The lightest disc road frame ever produced with builds as light as 5.9kg".

So there's another UCI-illegal bike.

Old 01-14-23, 12:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts

About their Aethos, Specialized brags "we broke those sacred UCI rules too...The lightest disc road frame ever produced with builds as light as 5.9kg".

So there's another UCI-illegal bike.
2 riders in my club have the Aethos. I don't know how much they spent but neither went full weight-weenie. They both say they love the bike and I believe them.
Old 01-14-23, 12:03 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I show up on my old bikes they are still nice to me and they even wait for my old ass after the climbs.
one of your old bikes is a Seven ? Seven is a sweet bike

some of the original Merlin people started Seven and continue to this day
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
The Global Cycling Network boys have put out some great You Tube videos comparing cheap bikes to expensive bikes, check them out.

Last edited by A350driver; 01-14-23 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add video
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Some Tarmac are at 6.7. Aethos seemed obvious, so I didn't mention it. Also Canyon Ultimate CFR.
Old 01-14-23, 12:06 PM
kcinnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They simply are not worth $14k in materials, no where near that. What is good about those bleeding edge bikes is that those features that don't cost a lot in materials will make their way down to lower and lower level bikes and will help everyone. I see motoGP bikes are brought up a lot in this thread, and well, the same thing happens in motorcycles. Now you have $10k bikes coming with IMUs with cornering ABS that use to only be in prototype form on $150k+ professional bikes. So even though that bike isn't worth the materials, and isn't worth it to the vast majority of the people on planet earth, that bike existing is good for all of us.
Old 01-14-23, 12:09 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

advanced engineering and materials have associated costs

one part on an advanced combat aircraft engine can cost $ 1 million

one part
Old 01-14-23, 12:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
one of your old bikes is a Seven ? Seven is a sweet bike

some of the original Merlin people started Seven and continue to this day
Yep. I bought it used and don't know what year it was made but I've had it almost 11 years and have put over 50K miles on it. Lots of parts have been replaced and some need to be replaced now.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-14-23, 12:27 PM
big john

Originally Posted by kcinnick
They simply are not worth $14k in materials, no where near that. What is good about those bleeding edge bikes is that those features that don't cost a lot in materials will make their way down to lower and lower level bikes and will help everyone. I see motoGP bikes are brought up a lot in this thread, and well, the same thing happens in motorcycles. Now you have $10k bikes coming with IMUs with cornering ABS that use to only be in prototype form on $150k+ professional bikes. So even though that bike isn't worth the materials, and isn't worth it to the vast majority of the people on planet earth, that bike existing is good for all of us.
I've followed motocross and supercross off and on since about 1971. The Japanese manufacturers started getting involved about then and they would hire the best riders and then build bikes for them. These "works" bikes were said to cost $150K each when stock bikes were around $2K. There were teams of high paid engineers designing and building the works bikes and their work eventually trickled down to production bikes.

I was at the USGP in Carlsbad one year when a rider won (I think it was Ake Jonsson) on a stock Maico. They sold the bike after the race to prove it was stock. Someone got it for $1800. Roger DeCoster was a Suzuki works rider that day and he had a crash and was not a factor.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-14-23, 12:34 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by big john
Yep. I bought it used and don't know what year it was made but I've had it almost 11 years and have put over 50K miles on it. Lots of parts have been replaced and some need to be replaced now.
that Seven is a keeper

reminds me of a friend that drives the Lexus top LS models - LS400 - LS430 - LS460 ...

he purchases them used at a good price / with a lot of miles (100K +) but in great shape and then doubles the mileage before passing the car to kid / relative and then moving on to the next LS

he had one LS with well over 200K miles - passed it on to his youngest kid - that kid drove it from PA to the west coast (UCLA) and it has made at least one trip back to PA
Old 01-14-23, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Good job. You are a wise man.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Guess what? There are objective reasons for why Dura Ace costs that much. Shimano used to publish a chart showing the materials used in each groupset, and you can see exactly how your money went towards titanium parts, forged aluminum parts, ball bearings instead of brass bushings, etc. And you can also see the additionally matching done to lighten the cranks and brake calipers, the 2-piece bonded hollow crank arm, carbon reinforced hollow chain rings, etc. So it’s not just ‘yeah, that’s what people will pay. What’s it to you?’

At no point was I justifying paying for this bike. I was explaining why the bike costs so much.

Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Obviously ‘made in USA’ applies to the parts made by Specialized.

Feel free to rebut that assertion. You go ahead and count the parts count for a motorcycle and compare it with a bicycle.
Anyone who has worked on both motorcycles and bikes knows that motorcycles are vastly more complex with much more engineering and machining on every part. The much vaunted disc brakes on bikes is roughly at the 1975 level for motorcycles. The Di2 brains is rudimentary compared to the engine/traction control/speed shifting ECUs on the Motorcycles.

Anyways feel free to debate that premise. That would be an interesting debate. Whereas ‘it is what it is’ is not an interesting topic for debate.

You know what's not an interesting topic for debate? Whether a bicycle can "possibly" be worth $14,000.
Since "worth" is a subjective value, that really is arguing for the sake of arguing.

You've so obviously deliberately distorted everything I said that I'm not going to bother addressing all your pointless quibbles and just make the following two rather obvious points:
1. The value of an object may have absolutely nothing to do with the costs of its individual components. For example, a few dollars worth of paint and canvas can be used to create a work of art for which someone will pay 10s of millions of dollars.
2. The fact that Shimano Dura-Ace costs so much because it's made of x is still not any kind of answer as to why it is or isn't "worth it" especially when there's a lot of very good somewhat cheaper alternatives.

As to your assertions regarding the comparison between motorcycles and bicycles, counting numbers of parts is really besides the point. You made a bunch of claims about costs per unit and numbers of units sold that I seriously doubt originated from anywhere outside of your butt. And again, even if they are true, it really has nothing to do with whether a $14,000 bicycle is worth $9,000 more than a $5000 bicycle. Just because OP wants to pretend it does is no reason to play along.

If we want to have a real discussion about how we determine value for ourselves, that might make sense and even broaden our perspectives, but setting up yet another snob vs. slob argument is really pointless.
Not everything has to be a debate.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-14-23, 02:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
A 14K bike may well be "worth it" to someone else for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons, but if a bike is too precious for me to use as intended, it defeats the purpose; I don't ever want a bike I'd be compelled to baby.

I'm perfectly willing to pay $3 - 4K, but that's about it. Others will find that range absurd, as is their prerogative, but I've found it to be kind of a sweet spot for a quality bike that will get ridden a lot.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-14-23, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
A 14K bike may well be "worth it" to someone else for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons, but if a bike is too precious for me to use as intended, it defeats the purpose; I don't ever want a bike I'd be compelled to baby.

I'm perfectly willing to pay $3 - 4K, but that's about it. Others will find that range absurd, as is their prerogative, but I've found it to be kind of a sweet spot for a quality bike that will get ridden a lot.

I'm pretty much the same way except I'm cheaper so my sweet spot is lower. If I have to worry about losing too much value in the bike riding it and locking it up as I want to, it's really making my riding less enjoyable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.