Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water bottle cages or waist pack.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Water bottle cages or waist pack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 08:56 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Plenty of options out there for extremely secure ways to add a bottle cage the bike. 2Fish, and Minion both come to mind. But if you are not willing to spend any money on it then it is a moot point.

I always use a hydration backpack for mountain biking. Works great. A very convenient way to drink.

But I use bottles and cages on the road/gravel bikes. I usually just stop to drink.
It's not that I'm not willing to spend any money. There's no point in throwing money at it if I'm not going to be happy with it.
Spend once and be happy is my logic.
So, money would probably be best spent on a hydration pack.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-23-22, 09:59 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
That's where my waist pack comes from. My MTB days. It holds 2 bottles and can hold quite a bit in the bag.
I'm not a "roadie". I ride a vintage Raleigh 10 speed for exercise and fun rides. It'll work for my needs I guess.
No spending any money on bottle cage mounts and bottle holders.
I have a range of motion issue with my right shoulder so technically I can only use the left side when riding.

After thinking about it, A hydration pack may be the best solution for my situation.
It could be the right solution, I use to carry 3 bottles and a 70-ounce CamelBak Rogue when I lived in the desert; however, on a tour I would NOT want to wear a hydration pack on my back, because even after a short 3 hour to 4 hour ride my back would be aching, not bad, but uncomfortably so, meaning on a ride in excess of 4 hours I would be in misery with that thing on my back, and that was the smallest CamelBak I could find, anything larger would have been a big issue. That is my back, your back may not have an issue riding 5 to 8 hours on a tour with the weight of water back there; and keep in mind that on a tour you'll be going for days on end with that water weight on your back, something to consider...maybe??
Old 04-23-22, 10:30 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
It could be the right solution, I use to carry 3 bottles and a 70-ounce CamelBak Rogue when I lived in the desert; however, on a tour I would NOT want to wear a hydration pack on my back, because even after a short 3 hour to 4 hour ride my back would be aching, not bad, but uncomfortably so, meaning on a ride in excess of 4 hours I would be in misery with that thing on my back, and that was the smallest CamelBak I could find, anything larger would have been a big issue. That is my back, your back may not have an issue riding 5 to 8 hours on a tour with the weight of water back there; and keep in mind that on a tour you'll be going for days on end with that water weight on your back, something to consider...maybe??
Do you have an injury that makes small backpacks uncomfortable?

I’ve definitely done plenty of 8-12 hour days with my 3L backpack + food, jacket, and repair stuff. While I wouldn’t call it the lap of luxury, in the scope of everything else I was doing to my body at the time, it wasn’t really a problem.

I think my pack, fully packed and with water is 12lbs. Probably closer to 4lbs by the end of the day.

My right shoulder is 2-3” lower than my left and slopes down oddly. I’m also skin and bones. If I can wear a pack, I feel like anyone can.

Back to the OP. One thing nobody mentioned is just putting your bottle in the back of your jersey. This isn’t so bad for one bottle. It’s pretty miserable for 2-3. So if you are doing something that 22oz can get you home, try that.
Old 04-23-22, 11:43 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Do you have an injury that makes small backpacks uncomfortable?
I've never been comfortable with backpacks while riding a bike, not sure why, I didn't have any injuries at the time that would have caused an issue, but I know I'm not the only person that is uncomfortable with wearing stuff on your back while riding, I ran into a lot of those types of people in desert, and read about them on touring forums, so I'm not an exception, but like you demonstrated, not everyone is uncomfortable with stuff on their backs while riding.
Old 04-23-22, 06:24 PM
matrosov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have clamps and straps setups. that are pretty secure, should be fine on a metal bike, carbon might not be so fine. And dedicated hydration pack like camelback is pretty low profile doesn't slosh around too much I take them for day rides with kids. Other than that since we do trails we have decent size rack bags on all our bikes anyway, for first aid kits phones, snacks pedialytes etc so extra water goes in there.