Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In praise of the ding ding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

In praise of the ding ding

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 07:29 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
In this area, the only reason you'd need one is if you were making it a habit of bombing the MUPs - if they're in that big of a hurry, they need to be a big boy/girl and take their ass to the road.
^THIS^

&#%* I hate pathletes. Atlanta has a very popular "belt line" that's usually crowded - runners, walkers, strollers, dogs... And every time I'm there (walking), several pathletes fly by. Neat - you can ride 20mph on a dead flat trail. MUPs, MUTs, Paths, etc. are for walkers, runners, and "bicyclists". If you're a "cyclist" just stop it. Okay, maybe you're just "using the trail to connect to your real route". Fine. But ride like a you're a visitor. Slow the $&@# down.

I don't have a bell.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 10-14-22, 09:06 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I have the old-fashioned ring-ring bells on all my bikes. Pedestrians regularly get a kick out of hearing this kind of bell and the sound carries well. Many pedestrians thank me for ringing it, some wave as I go, rarely do they seem startled. It's a sound that unmistakably signal a bicycle approaching.
Old 10-14-22, 09:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22574 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
^THIS^

&#%* I hate pathletes. Atlanta has a very popular "belt line" that's usually crowded - runners, walkers, strollers, dogs... And every time I'm there (walking), several pathletes fly by. Neat - you can ride 20mph on a dead flat trail. MUPs, MUTs, Paths, etc. are for walkers, runners, and "bicyclists". If you're a "cyclist" just stop it. Okay, maybe you're just "using the trail to connect to your real route". Fine. But ride like a you're a visitor. Slow the $&@# down.

I don't have a bell.
Pathletes, I like it. I usually call them MUP Racers. There are other names that are even more appropriate (like the French word for shower), but I can't say them here.
Old 10-14-22, 09:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I was hoping the thread was about these. I usually had one in my school lunchbox. Thanks mom.

https://www.hostesscakes.com/product...ngs/chocolate/
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-14-22, 09:29 AM
seypat

I think this is the "official" way to alert traffic in front of you. However, you must also wear a cycling jersey with vertical black/white stripes for it to be effective.
Old 10-14-22, 11:53 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Pathletes, I like it. I usually call them MUP Racers. There are other names that are even more appropriate (like the French word for shower), but I can't say them here.
I agree. They're Frenchshowerbags.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 10-14-22, 12:56 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I like the term as well. I ride mostly paths because its an easy way for me to get 20 to as far as 65 miles after work depending on the time of year and some people look like they are in a time trial or something.

I also will hustle along on them pretty fast in some (empty) spots. There are areas where its really congested and I am very courteous as to speed and using my bell.

In the open spaces I will go as fast as I can and since you can see a long way ahead I feel like its pretty safe. The trail I use is quite wide in a lot of spaces as well.

Just like most things common sense and courtesy go a long way. FWIW I like the Knog OI bike bell. Takes up very little room and has a nice loud chime to it.
Old 10-14-22, 07:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Whenever I see a cyclist, in my area, with a whistle in their mouth, which is (thankfully) infrequent, I immediately assume that they're a dbag. In this area, the only reason you'd need one is if you were making it a habit of bombing the MUPs - if they're in that big of a hurry, they need to be a big boy/girl and take their ass to the road. When I lived in NYC, there were (literally) a few times that one would have come in handy, but... yeah, still a "no, thanks."
I assume theyre trying to be like Voodoo from Quicksilver with Kevin Bacon
Old 10-15-22, 11:10 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The only correct way to alert other MUP users that you are coming:

Approved by clan McGrew
Old 10-18-22, 06:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I don’t ride bike paths or MUP any more but I do use a bell on the road. It really does work when overtaking or coming up behind someone. Last weekend I was on a rural road that goes through a few miles of citrus orchards. A woma on a beacc cruiser was “noodling” along at a fairly slow pace , no cars around. I rang twice and she immediately straightened out so I could pass.
Old 10-18-22, 08:11 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don’t ride bike paths or MUP any more but I do use a bell on the road. It really does work when overtaking or coming up behind someone. Last weekend I was on a rural road that goes through a few miles of citrus orchards. A woma on a beacc cruiser was “noodling” along at a fairly slow pace , no cars around. I rang twice and she immediately straightened out so I could pass.
She might have thought you were a postman going to get some.
Old 10-18-22, 08:38 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
apparently, my bells sound like the text message alert on cell phones, and pedestrians disregard it.
Old 10-18-22, 08:49 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Bells are awesome on MUP's. Someone gave me this one as a gift and I like it a lot - takes up very little handlebar space and makes a pleasing ding sound.

Oi Luxe Bike Bell | Style & Tone | Knog

40 bux?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 10-19-22, 01:38 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
40 bux?
I suppose that's possible, but probably not.

Old 10-19-22, 01:58 PM
FreddyMercury

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackb
I have the old-fashioned ring-ring bells on all my bikes. Pedestrians regularly get a kick out of hearing this kind of bell and the sound carries well. Many pedestrians thank me for ringing it, some wave as I go, rarely do they seem startled. It's a sound that unmistakably signal a bicycle approaching.
Totally agree! Almost nobody is annoyed when hearing a good old "Bycicle Race" - like Ring-a-ding.

Old 10-19-22, 04:53 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

i suppose that's possible, but probably not.

ok $39.95

67'er
Old 10-19-22, 06:22 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
ok $39.95

we should totally argue about the cost of a bike bell (that someone gave me as a gift).
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-19-22, 08:01 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

we should totally argue about the cost of a bike bell (that someone gave me as a gift).
i think it’s great that someone thought enough of you to gift you that bell.

I was just commenting that it seems a bit expensive,

67'er
Old 10-19-22, 10:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The only time I use a bell is on the MUP, which I don't ride often. I like the Timber mountain bike bell because it can be flipped on to ring continuously. Sounds like a friendly ice cream truck. Works well, other than with folks using earbuds or headphones. And I can keep my hands on the bar.

I got the version with the rubber band strap and can find a place to fit it on all of my bikes. Tilting it roughly controls the ringing frequency and volume. Tilt it a bit more for smooth pavement, so even minor ripples will jiggle the bell clapper enough to be effective.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-20-22, 07:53 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Same here.... And this is after buying and testing one of the expensive boutique bells that get recommended here frequently (which I eventually returned for a refund). The old-fashioned bell is much louder and I am always amazed how far in advance I can ring it and people still apparently hear it. The only downside is that it rattles over bumps.
Old 10-24-22, 09:49 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Finally found a good spot for the bell

I primarily ride on the hoods and in the drops. This placement of the bell allows me to easily ring the bell with my pinky while braking and doesn't interfere with my normal hand positions. Not the most aero, but for a recreational rider like me it works. I swear I used it 20 times tonight to alert walkers who were all over the road. It was very effective. I even got a few friendly waves.
Old 10-27-22, 10:52 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think this is the "official" way to alert traffic in front of you. However, you must also wear a cycling jersey with vertical black/white stripes for it to be effective.
Better choice - finger-grip whistle
Likes For drewguy:
Old 11-02-22, 10:45 PM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
apparently, my bells sound like the text message alert on cell phones, and pedestrians disregard it.
Try a Spurcycle. I have one on all my bikes. More times than not it is heard and reacted to in a positive manner.
Old 11-11-22, 08:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
Yep, I have a bell. Works well for the people who are not distracted walkers/runners/cyclists.
Also requires a fairly quiet environment. Unfortunately for me, almost all of my MUP riding is alongside expressways or busy through streets so the bell can't be heard. Otherwise i ride on the road.