Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fork Lifespan?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Fork Lifespan?

Old 11-14-22, 07:50 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Stollen

Sadly, the original Baby Bike Bolts thread is locked so you have to look for it.
and my Google fu sux.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 11-14-22, 07:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
and my Google fu sux.

Here is the thread, for those who want a trip down memory lane:

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ng-temper.html
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-14-22, 08:00 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Here is the thread, for those who want a trip down memory lane:

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ng-temper.html

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 11-19-22, 05:11 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
I have a 2008 time carbon fork on my 1993 peugeot prestige road bike with a steel steering pivot, never had a problem with it
Old 11-20-22, 08:17 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rchan
I've recently purchased a new road bike to replace my old all steel one. I was a bit wary about getting this one because it had a carbon fork instead of a steel one, but I got it anyway, because I figured I can get the info about the average lifespan of this type of material on the Internet.

Well, since I am writing here, you can probably guess I couldn't find anything useful at all. Occasionally I'd find something about how many cycles a carbon fork would last, but that isn't very useful since I don't know how many cycles a fork will go through in one of my typical rides, and usually the info is about a specific brand and model.

Does anybody know what is the average life of a carbon fork in terms of years or distance? I average about 1800 miles a year, pretty low milage in the grand scheme of things. Normally I wouldn't be so concered if it weren't for the fact that unlike steel, which usually bends when it fails, carbon tends to snap. Or is my concern outdated? Do recent carbon forks have something in them that will keep them from failing catostrophically?

Any info or web site referrals will be greatly appreciated.

I've got a bike with a 32 year old ALUMINUM fork and I have no fear of dying because of it. You should be fine for the next several hundred years with that carbon fork.

Go out and ride!
Old 11-28-22, 11:04 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I just took my 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli (steel, with carbon fork) on a metric century last month. Cranked up 2k feet so I could bomb down the other side - IIRC, Strava said I nearly hit 50mph on that run, with an average on that descent of over 27mph. And then I got to go up 2k ft again, and bomb down the same road that I climbed up at the beginning of the day - nearly a dozen hairpins that required some hard braking. The fork (and the whole bike) did fine.

There's a small chip in the clear coat by the crown (which is alloy, I think) from an argument with a bike rack early in the bike's life, but she was my main bike for 14 years, and certainly has mileage in the 5-figure range.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 11-29-22, 03:00 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I just took my 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli (steel, with carbon fork) on a metric century last month. Cranked up 2k feet so I could bomb down the other side - IIRC, Strava said I nearly hit 50mph on that run, with an average on that descent of over 27mph. And then I got to go up 2k ft again, and bomb down the same road that I climbed up at the beginning of the day - nearly a dozen hairpins that required some hard braking. The fork (and the whole bike) did fine.

There's a small chip in the clear coat by the crown (which is alloy, I think) from an argument with a bike rack early in the bike's life, but she was my main bike for 14 years, and certainly has mileage in the 5-figure range.
Those 2000 era Bianchis (Vigorelli, Veloce and Eros) are great bikes. Almost got the Veloce… still looking for it on Craigslist.
Old 11-29-22, 04:32 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Wait till he finds out commercial jets use lots of carbon fiber and composites for frames and fuselages that are subjected to harsher conditions than a typical road bike frame.
They don't get hammers droped on them every ride though.
Old 11-29-22, 06:09 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I would expect the carbon fork to last you the lifetime of your bike. I've had full carbon bikes that were 20+ years old and had no issues...

Any bike can be destroyed due to misuse, no matter the material.

My carbon fork (from 2009 BMC bike) has suffered minor damage from a pebble getting lodged in between the tire and fork. It is missing the paint on that spot, and perhaps a little bit of the resin has been chipped off. This caused me some concern at first. But I've since ridden it for another 5 or 10 000 km with no issues.

Honestly I cannot believe how many threads on this forum are made up of discussions on carbon fiber and whether or not it is safe/ prone to failure / better or worse than steel or alloy.

Last edited by maartendc; 11-29-22 at 06:14 AM.
Likes For maartendc:
Old 11-29-22, 09:20 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
...Honestly I cannot believe how many threads on this forum are made up of discussions on carbon fiber and whether or not it is safe/ prone to failure / better or worse than steel or alloy.
Agree, I think it is a result of the much more graphic/explicit nature of the photos one sees of failures or damage (assplode photos) as opposed to steel or aluminum which are often just dents. True Temper, Deda, Kestrel, Columbus, Look, Reynolds, Easton forks have no life limit unless damaged.
Old 11-29-22, 09:55 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Those 2000 era Bianchis (Vigorelli, Veloce and Eros) are great bikes. Almost got the Veloce… still looking for it on Craigslist.
I love mine. She's not quite as fast as my Lynskey, but she's ridiculously fun and for me, handles telepathically. And that's even with the original carbon fork, which is noticeably flexy after riding it back-to-back with the Enve fork equipped Lynskey. Maybe like comparing a 911 to a Miata (or in my personal experience, a 335i to a Honda Prelude)- Sure, one will be faster every time, but the other one will almost certainly put a smile on your face.

For an eventual n+1, I've considered just taking my Bianchi into a custom frame builder and asking for identical geometry, with modern adjustments such as disc brakes and clearance for 30mm. Actually, I'm pretty sure her frame can clear much wider than the 25mm I have on her, just not sure about the brake calipers...
Old 12-02-22, 07:25 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I miss that show. Thanks to the woke morons, it is gone.
Not a big supporter of cancel culture, but even before the woke mob arrived, it was still generally frowned upon to punch out your colleagues
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-06-22, 09:49 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My wife was not happy about my interest in expanding my stable, because she thought I'd be paying >$1000/bike. When she learned how little a C&V bike costs - TO BUY - she essentially gave me free rein. .
C&V, or just old bikes?
Old 12-06-22, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
C&V, or just old bikes?
C&V is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it means bikes well beyond "Department Store" level, the ones you'd have had to find an actual bike shop for, with at least some pretense of performance.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: