Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 06-24-17, 12:00 AM
Perrinsf

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes!

Originally Posted by castmasterflash
Anyone change there factory provided 700x30 blackbelt tires to a 700x28 tire and have comments they'd like to share on performance/feel they noticed?

(pics make it better)

I went from 30 to 28 tire. I'm a big guy at 250 pounds so did not want to go any smaller. Feels more efficient without sacrificing much comfort.
Old 06-24-17, 11:14 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I bought a set of 30mm Specialized All Condition Elite Armadillos, to replace the 28mm Specialized All Condition Elite Armadillos I had on my Sirrus. Felt slower and heavier, so put the 28s back on! The 28s have a max press of 115-125#(recommended), while the 30s max out at 85-95#(recommended) PSI.

Didn't feel any more comfortable, just felt heavier and slower.

I like the 28s on my Sirrus, just like I like the 35s and 40s on my Crosstrail. Now, the 28s and 30s are a no go on the Crosstrail. Really feel harsh.

Completely different bikes, different tires.
Old 06-24-17, 11:21 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RLSinGS
Posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here...

UPDATE: Finally made it to my LBS. Rode the Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon and the Giant Fastroad Comax 1. Both excellent bikes indeed. I liked the "fit and feel" of the Specialized best but liked the upgraded components and the narrower tire size (30mm on Specialized, 25mm on the Giant). For what it's worth, while the Giant had a supposedly "softer" frame (carbon composite vs. full carbon on the Specialized), I thought the Giant had a "stiffer" feel to it. Perhaps is was the narrower tires but I'm not really sure. I ended up ordering the Specialized Sirrus Expert Carbon (in red), which is basically the Sirrus Comp Carbon with the component level of the Giant Fastroad Comax 1. I'll probably have the LBS swap out the 30mm tires for 25's or maybe 28's.

Ordered my wife the Sirrus Vita Comp Carbon (in blue).

My LBS made me great on ordering both. Scheduled for fitting and pickup in a week. Very anxious to start putting some miles on these new rides.

Many thanks for all the comments, insight and recommendations - very much appreciated.

RLS
Nice choices - color me jealous!
Old 06-25-17, 09:41 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scurrier
You said later in the thread that those are the plug and play fenders, but to my knowledge the fenders only fit 30mm width tires and your stock bike came with 32mm. Can you provide any insight on this apparent conflict? I've been trying to figure out how wide of a tire I can run with fenders on the Sirrus.

Note that there seems to be a v2 version of the fenders and that is the one that I saw had 30mm requirement. Maybe yours are v1 or something?
Not sure how to reply bc the fenders were installed by the bike shop before I picked the bike up. But my understanding is that the Specialized P&P fenders will fit on any specialized hybrid. (They did on mine at least).
Old 06-26-17, 07:12 PM
Nimbuslove

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can anyone tell me if the sirrus disc is worth it im buying my first bike and decided to go cheap and get a all around bike so I can get used to riding and not spend too much so I can upgrade next year,then ill buy a ""better'' bike when I decide what type of bike I want to ride
Old 06-26-17, 07:41 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you want your first bike, buy a gravel road/adventure bike. Later, if you feel like it, you can add a fitness bike like the Sirrus to your stable.
Old 06-27-17, 01:41 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nimbuslove
can anyone tell me if the sirrus disc is worth it im buying my first bike and decided to go cheap and get a all around bike so I can get used to riding and not spend too much so I can upgrade next year,then ill buy a ""better'' bike when I decide what type of bike I want to ride
Well, the Sirrus is a great platform and there's no reason to believe the current 'Disc' is any different. People will have different opinions on various components included in the package but nothing that I can see is "bad".

Having said that, it's still a $600 bike which is a lot of money. If you're planning on spending more in 12 months have you considered looking for a second hand bike first? Or, depending on how much you ride, you might even get away with a basic $300 bike (new) for the first 12 months?
Old 06-27-17, 12:48 PM
scurrier

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone commonly do any of these at medium/high speeds:
-hit heaved sidewalk slabs (2")
-hit roots growing under trails that cause sudden bumps
-ride over lots of sidewalk / road transitions
-ride over 50 feet of grass or slightly bumpy dirt and gravel

What size tires do you have and how does the Sirrus hold up? Do you get flats or damaged wheels? I'm concerned that it may be too much to do an occasional 32 mile round trip commute that features these kinds of problems along the route.
Old 06-27-17, 01:57 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scurrier
Also, does anyone know if there are any fenders available that fit cleanly on this bike at tire sizes larger than 30? I'm not sure what tire size I'd want, but with a limestone path near me for recreational riding I might need to go bigger than the 30 that the Specialized plug and play fenders can fit. I'm also interested in semi-slick tires for occasional corner cutting on grass between two sidewalks.
Most after-market fenders, like Planet Bike or SKS should fit fine. There are attachment points front and rear to mount them.

I have Sirrus Sport (32mm tire) and plan on mounting SKS 45 fenders.
Old 07-07-17, 01:31 PM
Donsell

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Scott Sportster 55

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great information about the Sirrus.

Has anyone picked the Sirrus after riding a Diverge? I'd be interested in people's thoughts after comparing both and why they went with the Sirrus.
Old 07-07-17, 03:00 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Donsell
Great information about the Sirrus.

Has anyone picked the Sirrus after riding a Diverge? I'd be interested in people's thoughts after comparing both and why they went with the Sirrus.
Pretty straightforward, I think.

The two bikes, currently (e.g. 2017) are pretty similar: all-rounder disc-braked road bikes with decent tire clearance, one with geometry for flat bars (Sirrus) and one for drops (Diverge).

The '18 Diverge has been redesigned -- with some changes/improvements to my mind -- and I expect the Sirrus will follow, possibly even with the 'future shock' on the top one or two versions, either this year or next.

Choose your preferred bar type -- purchase accordingly. Of the two, I'd go with the Sirrus (my main bike is a 2010) because I prefer flat bars/bar ends for road cycling. If I preferred drops -- Diverge.
Old 07-17-17, 01:51 PM
demetri_j

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon Disc or 2017 Sirrus Sport Carbon

Hi All,

I know nothing about bikes but am interested in getting one for exercise etc. I can get a lightly used 2015 elite carbon disc or a new 2017 sport carbon for a $100 more. Which is the better bike? Thanks.
Old 07-17-17, 02:05 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by demetri_j
Hi All,

I know nothing about bikes but am interested in getting one for exercise etc. I can get a lightly used 2015 elite carbon disc or a new 2017 sport carbon for a $100 more. Which is the better bike? Thanks.
They are for all practical purposes the same bike. If you can buy new for $100 more than the used '15, and if buying new have access to a range of sizes so you can be fit correctly (are you absolutely sure the used '15 is your size?), go new.

That's leaving aside any prospective issues arising from buying a used bike (possible frame damage, etc.).
Old 07-17-17, 02:14 PM
demetri_j

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok thanks, the used is a medium and I assume that is my size as I am 5'9''. I do like the color on the 2015 better. How common/easy is it spray paint parts of a bike like the part that says Specialized in huge letters? I dont like that. I was thinking I can tape off the area
Old 07-17-17, 11:08 PM
Mack3601

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disk, Genesis GS29

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2016 Specialized Sirrus, 2017 Specialized Vita

My bicycles
Attached Images
Old 07-18-17, 01:33 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ now two is just greedy!
Old 07-19-17, 08:09 AM
Mack3601

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disk, Genesis GS29

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2016 Sirrus Sport Disk. I has 4800 miles on it now. I have had a slight amount of trouble with the rear shifter ever sine I got it. The LBS has never gotten it shifting exactly right. I am a big guy and have ridden in every sort of Pacific Northwest weather. I've replaced and upgraded the rear dereailleur, crank and now the wheelset. (Rear wheel broke in four places.)
Attached Images
Old 07-19-17, 12:26 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
still loving my '16 sirrus elite

Old 07-27-17, 05:40 PM
troutbum50

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydraulic brake issue

Two things where I could use an opinion :

-My LBS (not a Specialized dealer) re-cabled the hydraulic discs on my '16 Elite Carbon. I guess they didn't test ride, as the front (less) and rear (more) brakes squeal like an angry pig , and could be heard from blocks away.
The weird thing is the noise is coming from within the frame itself, and not the rotors. I'll be returning it, but any idea what's going on in case they're stumped?

also,

-I'll be upgrading the wheelset in the offseason. Originally was going to go down from the stock 30's to 28, closer to what I've been riding for decades. But after riding an urban rental with fat tires I was amazed at the ride comfort, and will go up in width, considering our crummy chip/seal roads and the occasional dirt/gravel on my recreational riding. Anyone know the max width for that bike? I'm thinking of 32's-- I've been told I could feel a difference. Also think I'll go tubeless as recommended for lighter weight and fewer punctures.
Old 07-27-17, 06:33 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My '16 Expert Carbon has 32mm tyres. the 35mm Specialized "Plug & Play" fender set also fits so you might be able to fit 35mm tyres in there (without fenders).

Carbon fibre transmits sounds like nothing else - if your pads are making the noise then they're making the noise irrespective of where you can hear it. There's nothing mechanical in the frame itself. Brake pad squeal is usually because the surface between the rear of the pad and the caliper is not seated our lubed properly.
Old 07-27-17, 07:15 PM
troutbum50

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Carbon fibre transmits sounds like nothing else - if your pads are making the noise then they're making the noise irrespective of where you can hear it. There's nothing mechanical in the frame itself. Brake pad squeal is usually because the surface between the rear of the pad and the caliper is not seated our lubed properly.
Thanks for that. I couldn't figure out how the sound could be coming from within the frame! Hopefully the shop will know the fix. Looks like Stan's Grail Comp disc for me with 32 tires.
Old 07-27-17, 08:37 PM
s2000zr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
My '16 Expert Carbon has 32mm tyres. the 35mm Specialized "Plug & Play" fender set also fits so you might be able to fit 35mm tyres in there (without fenders).

I just got a carbon X1. My first carbon bike. Before the purchase I read how people rave about how carbon absorb road noise and bump. But this bike is noisy, I can hear the tires rolling over the road.
Old 07-28-17, 10:46 AM
Edo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I going to convert my Sirrus to drop bars, and repaint it. It is a sacrilege?
Old 07-30-17, 10:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Sirrus Carbon Comp. She has had some ergonomic issues that we have tried to address through a variety of means (swapping out parts, fitting, etc), but she still has some issues.

I am hoping that someone might have some suggestions.

Primarily, she gets back pain when going uphill, and gets hand numbness. (Her hands are comparatively small and a bit weakened from arthritis, and she has hip/back arthritis issues. Age 55).

To address these (and other) issues, I have made the following modifications:

(1) Replaced stock ass-hatchet with B17 woman's saddle

(2) Replaced handlebars with a carbon version (Easton EC70 Handlebar, High-Riser 31.8 720mm, trimmed to 650 mm).

(3) Azonic 420 flat pedals (she won't ride clip-ins)

(4) Replaced Stem with a Ritchey ±30° adjustable stem -- net effect to raise the bars and shorten the reach somewhat

(5) Replaced the 12-30T stock cassette with an 11-36T cassette (and cranked in the B-screw), primarily to make it easier on her back when climbing eg. 10% grades (our flattest local ride is 100ft of climbing per mile).

(6) Optimized positioning of Tektro brake levers -- thinking about replacing with XT for the reach adjustment knob and better braking (I already replaced the rotors with XT).

(7) Swapped out stock tires for ones that are more compliant and comfortable (120 TPI Clement Stradas).

I'm kind of at a loss for what else to try. I feel like I replaced 1/3 of the bike already.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-30-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 10:28 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
My wife has a 2015 Sirrus Carbon Comp. She has had some ergonomic issues that we have tried to address through a variety of means (swapping out parts, fitting, etc), but she still has some issues.

I am hoping that someone might have some suggestions.

Primarily, she gets back pain when going uphill, and gets hand numbness. (Her hands are comparatively small and a bit weakened from arthritis, and she has hip/back arthritis issues. Age 55).

To address these (and other) issues, I have made the following modifications:

(1) Replaced stock ass-hatchet with B17 woman's saddle

(2) Replaced handlebars with a carbon version (Easton EC70 Handlebar, High-Riser 31.8 720mm, trimmed to 650 mm).

(3) Azonic 420 flat pedals (she won't ride clip-ins)

(4) Replaced Stem with a Ritchey ±30° adjustable stem -- net effect to raise the bars and shorten the reach somewhat

(5) Replaced the 12-30T stock cassette with an 11-36T cassette (and cranked in the B-screw), primarily to make it easier on her back when climbing eg. 10% grades (our flattest local ride is 100ft of climbing per mile).

(6) Optimized positioning of Tektro brake levers -- thinking about replacing with XT for the reach adjustment knob and better braking (I already replaced the rotors with XT).

(7) Swapped out stock tires for ones that are more compliant and comfortable (120 TPI Clement Stradas).

I'm kind of at a loss for what else to try. I feel like I replaced 1/3 of the bike already.

What handgrips are on her bike?

Ergon grips for the win.

She may also benefit from long bar ends that get positioned more in the middle of the handlebar, so that she can grab on to these at times for different hand positions.

You can wrap these bars in handlebar tape, but you may need to go back to an alloy handlebar to make the bar ends able to be tightened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.