Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-22, 09:29 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Long weekend this weekend. Went for an enjoyable hike on Saturday. Crook with a cold yesterday and today. there go the plans I had.
Likes For gnome:
Old 10-23-22, 09:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I wonder why this never became widespread...

Old 10-23-22, 10:48 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
today was one of those days. had a good (hard) ride yesterday in the hills, but was feeling the Sunday blues this afternoon and decided hey, I’ll do my 30 minute loop to get some air. beautiful evening.

25 minutes in, came as close to being hit by a car as I ever have. T intersection. I’m on the dead end leg of the T approaching the intersection. three way stop. my road is one lane each way, the through road is two lanes each way with a wide painted median that is a turn lane in places, but not here since, well, you’d be turning into a curb/park in that direction. i slowed as I approached the intersection, seeing that there was an idling bus on the nearest lane (no driver) and a car next to them slowing to a stop. I did not come to a complete stop, but rolled through at maybe 5, accelerating into the intersection. a car appears in the intersection from behind the slowing/now stopped car in the left lane, driving in the middle median/turn lane (which is not a lane in this direction) and blasts through the intersection at 35+. I wasn’t going particularly fast but had already entered the intersection. panic stop and turn left to avoid getting t-boned ar high speed. missed by what felt like inches but was probably feet, leaving me shaken and of course pointing right at the stopped car next to the bus.

partially my fault for not coming to a complete stop, although I still would not have been able to see around the bus and stopped car to see a car at high speed not even in a proper lane. at least I would have been going slower and slightly later, which would have been better but only by chance. the car that came to a complete stop thankfully stayed stopped, and the driver yelled “holy ****!” at my panic stop/turn/slide almost into them, but no contact was made either with them or the ground.

still a bit shaken. had I been 5 feet further into the intersection when they ran the stop sign i can’t imagine surviving getting broadsided by a car at that speed. in 10,000 miles this year and last that’s the only truly close call I’ve ever had, but it makes me wonder about the odds. I should have been more cautious since I couldn’t see too far around the bus, but I’ve made that turn hundreds of times and have never seen anyone drive in the non-lane or totally ignore the stop sign. on reflection, I’m guessing the driver couldn’t see the stop sign through the bus OR painted on the road since they weren’t in an actual lane with STOP painted on it like the two real lanes.

Last edited by mschwett; 10-23-22 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-24-22, 04:22 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I went with SRAM this time (I've had eTap before) for the simplicity of the system. Only one lever per shifter is nice in the winter with heavy gloves on. The only real downside is the short charge life. One has to be very vigilant or carry a spare like I do.
I’m considering SRAM as an upgrade at some point. Like the 12s 48/35 with a 10 cog low end. But the thing I don’t like is it requires a new BB and 2 new freehub bodies to go along with it- at which point even Rival is now the same price as 105 Di2.
Old 10-24-22, 05:47 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
today was one of those days. had a good (hard) ride yesterday in the hills, but was feeling the Sunday blues this afternoon and decided hey, I’ll do my 30 minute loop to get some air. beautiful evening.

25 minutes in, came as close to being hit by a car as I ever have. T intersection. I’m on the dead end leg of the T approaching the intersection. three way stop. my road is one lane each way, the through road is two lanes each way with a wide painted median that is a turn lane in places, but not here since, well, you’d be turning into a curb/park in that direction. i slowed as I approached the intersection, seeing that there was an idling bus on the nearest lane (no driver) and a car next to them slowing to a stop. I did not come to a complete stop, but rolled through at maybe 5, accelerating into the intersection. a car appears in the intersection from behind the slowing/now stopped car in the left lane, driving in the middle median/turn lane (which is not a lane in this direction) and blasts through the intersection at 35+. I wasn’t going particularly fast but had already entered the intersection. panic stop and turn left to avoid getting t-boned ar high speed. missed by what felt like inches but was probably feet, leaving me shaken and of course pointing right at the stopped car next to the bus.

partially my fault for not coming to a complete stop, although I still would not have been able to see around the bus and stopped car to see a car at high speed not even in a proper lane. at least I would have been going slower and slightly later, which would have been better but only by chance. the car that came to a complete stop thankfully stayed stopped, and the driver yelled “holy ****!” at my panic stop/turn/slide almost into them, but no contact was made either with them or the ground.

still a bit shaken. had I been 5 feet further into the intersection when they ran the stop sign i can’t imagine surviving getting broadsided by a car at that speed. in 10,000 miles this year and last that’s the only truly close call I’ve ever had, but it makes me wonder about the odds. I should have been more cautious since I couldn’t see too far around the bus, but I’ve made that turn hundreds of times and have never seen anyone drive in the non-lane or totally ignore the stop sign. on reflection, I’m guessing the driver couldn’t see the stop sign through the bus OR painted on the road since they weren’t in an actual lane with STOP painted on it like the two real lanes.

In the car, last evening, I turned in front of a bicycle I never saw. At a stop sign, fortunately. Further on in the trip a local blew a stop sign 50 meters ahead of me. There is no relaxing out on the road anymore. Those days are gone.
This in tiny Mexican towns. I can't imagine what it's like in real traffic. We do share one thing; everybody's in a hurry.
Old 10-24-22, 06:11 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts

Sorry, man. I guess that could have been inattention, but the civic virtues are taking a big hit these days.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-24-22, 06:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
The caffeine awakens the head but not the body.
Sure it does!. It increases basal metabolic rate, mobilizes fatty acids from adipose tissue, and other stuff I don't know about.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-24-22, 06:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Sure it does!. It increases basal metabolic rate, mobilizes fatty acids from adipose tissue, and other stuff I don't know about.
I will drink to that!
Old 10-24-22, 06:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

The place we stayed in Charlottesville had a French Press but it was made not of glass (nor crabon or Ti) but stainless steel, and apparently vacuum-sealed double walled SS. So it kept the brew a smidge hotter than my glass unit (which I prewarm with boiling water). It was possibly a better brew than my homemade. Must investigate this further.

#steelisrealgoodforcoffee
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-24-22, 08:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
The place we stayed in Charlottesville had a French Press but it was made not of glass (nor crabon or Ti) but stainless steel, and apparently vacuum-sealed double walled SS. So it kept the brew a smidge hotter than my glass unit (which I prewarm with boiling water). It was possibly a better brew than my homemade. Must investigate this further.

#steelisrealgoodforcoffee
What's the recommendation for polycarbonate?
Old 10-24-22, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by moalpha
sure it does!. It increases basal metabolic rate, mobilizes fatty acids from adipose tissue, often stimulates the bowels, and other stuff i don't know about.
fify
Old 10-24-22, 08:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

What's the recommendation for polycarbonate?
No idea. I am quite adept at our glass one, although I am sure I will break it one day. Looks like the SS ones are a bit pricier but maybe I can ask for one for my next year.
Old 10-24-22, 08:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts

Yikes! Glad it was a miss you could write about the next day!

I had something similar happen last month. I was at the North end of Canada, at 92. I pushed the button for the left turn light and waited. I saw the cars on 92 slowing for the stop, and then the light changed. I started rolling, but had some difficulty getting my right foot clipped in, so I was rolling at a snail's pace when a red Camaro blows through the intersection right in front of me at 50 mph. I was probably no more than halfway across the other lane, but if I'd been clipped in sooner, I might have been right in front of him. I never start rolling there till I see the cars at least slowing for the stop, so this was a real surprise.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-24-22, 08:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

No idea. I am quite adept at our glass one, although I am sure I will break it one day. Looks like the SS ones are a bit pricier but maybe I can ask for one for my next year.
Years ago, Mrs. GJ and I went camping with the local Mothers Club (the boys were in single digits then), and I made sure to bring our French Press and coffee. I guess everyone else either had instant, or had not brought any coffee, because the smell of the first round got us a bunch of coffee-thirsty friends. So I got A CUP, then had to go off to the little boy's room. When I came back Mrs. GJ was all apologetic, because she'd been trying to clean the FP and had assumed that the grounds would just fall out if she gave it a good thump, so she tapped it against the side of the garbage can and *crash*.
No more coffee that weekend.

Last edited by genejockey; 10-24-22 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-24-22, 09:07 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
fify
That I knew about.
Old 10-24-22, 09:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have broken and glued the handle on the plastic FP we use on the boat at least once. A guy brought a double-wall SS FP on an ocean race I was on and it was wonderful as long as someone else made the coffee.
Old 10-24-22, 09:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Today I turned on the heat for the first time this Fall. It's in the high 40s out, so it's time. It looks like we'll get through October without another heatwave, so it's probably time to dismantle the jury-rigged whole house/attic fan for another year(a box fan stuck in the attic hatch).

Then we'll get one of the rare-but-not-unheard-of Nvember heatwaves, if my luck works as it usually does.

Old 10-24-22, 10:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I have broken and glued the handle on the plastic FP we use on the boat at least once. A guy brought a double-wall SS FP on an ocean race I was on and it was wonderful as long as someone else made the coffee.
The coffee is usually better when someone else makes it. Mrs datlas tells me I make great coffee but I suspect she simply prefers me to make it for her.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-24-22, 11:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

The coffee is usually better when someone else makes it.
Especially when the kitchen is sloping 20º and bouncing around.
Old 10-24-22, 11:04 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Huh? Whaddayaknow?
I just learned about variable heart rate, this morning. Here I've been concerned about my quite variable heart rate. I can relax a bit more now.
Old 10-24-22, 11:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Huh? Whaddayaknow?
I just learned about variable heart rate, this morning. Here I've been concerned about my quite variable heart rate. I can relax a bit more now.
Old 10-24-22, 11:09 AM
seedsbelize2

The coffee is usually better when someone else makes it. Mrs datlas tells me I make great coffee but I suspect she simply prefers me to make it for her.
That's the case in our house.
Old 10-24-22, 11:37 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13712 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 2,505 Posts
If I'm out in the world early, I buy coffee from my favorite local coffee shop. I was out early today but, alas, FLCS is closed on Mondays.
Old 10-24-22, 11:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by rjones28
If I'm out in the world early, I buy coffee from my favorite local coffee shop. I was out early today but, alas, FLCS is closed on Mondays.
FLCS?!?

I initially read it as FLDS.
Old 10-24-22, 11:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
FLCS?!?

I initially read it as FLDS.
I'm about due for a visit to FLDS country. I drove through it a couple weeks ago, but I'd like to spend a couple of nights. Unfortunately my favorite cheap motel (converted FLDS compound) in Hildale went out of business during Covid, so I'll have to search around for alternatives. Big news is there's a brewery in Colorado City now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.