Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike frame material rankings!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike frame material rankings!

Old 11-15-22, 02:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Touring bikes are still made from steel, correct? There must be a reason for those bikes to not be made from CF.
​​​​​​Price.
Old 11-15-22, 02:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
When I said alarm, I meant security system. As long as the bugs, frogs, etc are making their noises, everything is safe. When they go silent, it means something's in the area.(you probably know that)

We had an adult on one trip that had a CPAP machine. You could hear that thing droning..........until the moisture in it froze. He had to sit by the fire the rest of the night.
Old 11-15-22, 02:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Price.
I actually thought it was because adding all of the fittings/eyelets for racks, alternative brakes, etc was more of an issue with CF. Same if the fittings broke/had issues.
Old 11-15-22, 03:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Price.
I actually thought it was because adding all of the fittings/eyelets for racks, alternative brakes, etc was more of an issue with CF. Same if the fittings broke/had issues.
It is definitely a lot easier to sprinkle mounts all over a steel frame for bottle cages, pumps, racks, etc.
Old 11-17-22, 11:51 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
so bamboo is right out?
How about nuts?
https://hackaday.com/2022/11/16/craz...t-of-147-nuts/
Old 11-18-22, 02:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I think it all depends on the person doing the evaluation and the exact model of bike. I've ridden plenty of lousy steel bikes to know that steel isn't a guarantee for anything. Though I have ridden two or three really great steel bikes. Still frame material is the least important. What's important is that the design and use of any material take advantage of the qualities and short comings of that material.
DING, DING, DING, DING!!!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!
Old 12-07-22, 08:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I love to see a BB cover and with I had a few of his tunes, but are we adding-in opinions about vinyl versus digits?

A lot of the thread is just opinion collected and in some cases prioritized, but no quantitative comparisons of say, weights, flexibilities, resistance to fracture, history of terminal non-repairable damage, or other "stuff" that might at least look concrete.

Or as in the lands north of Winterfell, maybe it's just that "winter is coming." God (and now the rest of you) knows I haven't done enough pedaling lately!

PS: "Go for a ride, RF!" reminder texts are very welcome! Also, "RF, stop reading and go finish spoking your wheels! These people need a laugh!"

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-07-22 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-07-22, 11:09 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Your forgot to mention the Reynolds 9 series of high end steel such as the reynolds 953 ,the Reynolds 931, the Reynolds 921 and the well known Reynolds 631 and Reynolds 853 being some of the highest grade steels on themarket,the 631 and 853 started to be very popular in mid 90's and had a much better durability,comfort and responsiveness than any carbon,aluminium or perhaps titanium frame .Merlin, Moots,Kona, Linskey and Litespeed used exclusively Reynolds Titanium Ti 3AL-2.5V tubing Reynolds Ti 3 Al 2.5V. Italians with Columbus have Columbus Omnicrom the base for HSS, Spirit, Life, Max, SL, SLX et CENTO rear triangle frameset tubes and they also have Columbus XCR a competitor of the Reynolds 931 but below in quality compared to the 953. Columbus was known to have introduced Nivacrom with the Genius series of tubes back in 1992 and Thermacrom with Foco and Ultrafoco in1996. Dedacciai is also an important player when it comes to steel tubing with the Dedacciai Dr Zero and Dr Zero 1. True temper a well known name in frame building exited the bike industry 6 years ago true temper's good bye to the bike industry . Slightly less known were french manufacturers of high grade steel tubes such as Excell (used exclusively by framebuilder Jean Marie Pilorget) and Vitus which proposed at the time high end steel for road and Mtb frames back then. Tange (japanese maker) is still present not as used as Reynolds, Columbus or Deda but still present with its series of tange series of tubes.Tange was popular in the 80's-90's in the MTB industry. Is h i t t a w a was also another japanese which produced high end steel tubes but which disappeared at the end of the 80's early 90's.
I have one of the Japanese Paramount OS frames that is made out of the Tange Prestige OS tubes. Noticeably lighter than my very slightly smaller Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with SLX. The Tange Prestige OS tubes seem to be noticeably stiffer than the SLX tubes. In most road-riding situations the Eddy Merckx offers a more plush ride, while the Paramount has a somewhat stiffer, snappier ride than the Eddy Merckx. They both ride great overall, and I can't see myself ever selling/getting rid of either of these 2 bikes.
Old 12-11-22, 03:38 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 898 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
I have one of the Japanese Paramount OS frames that is made out of the Tange Prestige OS tubes. Noticeably lighter than my very slightly smaller Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with SLX. The Tange Prestige OS tubes seem to be noticeably stiffer than the SLX tubes. In most road-riding situations the Eddy Merckx offers a more plush ride, while the Paramount has a somewhat stiffer, snappier ride than the Eddy Merckx. They both ride great overall, and I can't see myself ever selling/getting rid of either of these 2 bikes.
Never rode on a Tange frame and never rode on a SLX frame but rode back then on a Genius road bike which was slightly less stiff than any of my Reynolds but comfy. Problem is with Genius tubing if you are heavy rider it can be a problem over the long run, also if you buy a Genius second hand frame be aware of rust at the bottom bracket, check also that there is not cracks in the frame.
Old 12-11-22, 07:19 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
All I see out there are posers. I'm sure those rooftop/elevated tents are great............until it's below freezing and the wind is whistling under the bottom of it chilling you to the bone.
I have a rig like of which you speak and used to participate on forums dedicated to such activities. There were NOT many poseurs in those communities in my view. Very hands on people. The tent thing is always for the women, who are scared of things crawling. My rig is simple, a 4 x 8 plywood that is a sleeping shelf under which is storage. 5 inch lift, 35's, sliders, off road bumpers, 12,000 pound wench, etc.
Likes For GhostRider62: