Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 10:52 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ Killing 2 birds w/one stone: register cyclists & get them helmet-ed.
Old 11-15-14, 04:32 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Here's an "idea" (new helmet concept):
smart-hat
I really hope this is satire or that the helmet is much smarter than it looks, because on first glance it's a quite horrible contraption that massively amplifies the normal safety issues of bicycle helmets.
Old 11-20-14, 08:59 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Bono's Serious Injuries Due to Riding Without Helmet in NYC Bike Crash
Proposed NYC Bike Helmet Law Defeated in 2012
By TheImproper Staff, November 20th, 2014

U2 frontman Bono suffered far more serious injuries in his “bike spill” in New York City’s Central Park largely because he was riding without a helmet, according to a source familiar with the accident.
Old 11-20-14, 09:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx

U2 frontman Bono suffered far more serious injuries in his “bike spill” in New York City’s Central Park largely because he was riding without a helmet, according to a source familiar with the accident.
What did a "source" from the National Enquirer have to "report" on the nature of the injuries and helmet wear?
Old 11-20-14, 09:16 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What did a "source" from the National Enquirer have to "report" on the nature of the injuries and helmet wear?
You could always click through to The Improper link I posted and find out for yourself, but here is the injury report from a sidebar of that article:

"1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.
2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.
3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces.He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.
4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.
He will require intensive and progressive therapy, however a full recovery is expected."
Old 11-20-14, 09:54 AM
JimmyH

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Paramount, 2001 Litespeed Vortex, 2007 Moots Moto-X YBB, Surly 1x1, Nagasawa fixed gear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always click through to The Improper link I posted and find out for yourself, but here is the injury report from a sidebar of that article:

"1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.
2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.
3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces.He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.
4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.
He will require intensive and progressive therapy, however a full recovery is expected."
Wow, he must have been haulin' freight. I took a spill sans helmet at 21mph, landed on the area between my shoulder & scapula. Broke my collar bone, smacked the side of my noggin into the asphalt. Made a believer out of me as far as wearing a helmet is concerned. Anyway, I've read since then that the scapula is a very thick and tough bone, not easily broken. From the extent of his injuries I'm wondering if he was going down hill, what he impacted against ? Tough break. (no pun)
Old 11-20-14, 10:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I did and the hack article provided no credible evidence that helmet wear would have made the slightest difference to the shoulder and compound arm fractures suffered by Mr. Bono, and scant evidence that a helmet would have made any significant difference on the facial fracture.

I suppose my sarcastic reference to helmet "reports" from the National Enquirer and the similarity in "reporting" technique to your source did not stimulate you to reexamine the integrity of your source on helmet injury prevention info.
Old 11-20-14, 10:30 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
...did not stimulate you to reexamine the integrity of your source on helmet injury prevention info.
Where did I make any claims regarding the integrity of the information? Where did I claim the article is a source of helmet injury prevention info?
Old 11-20-14, 11:00 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Where did I make any claims regarding the integrity of the information? Where did I claim the article is a source of helmet injury prevention info?
Slacker...
Old 11-20-14, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You didn't, the goofball article that YOU posted did.
Old 11-20-14, 05:03 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari
I really hope this is satire or that the helmet is much smarter than it looks, because on first glance it's a quite horrible contraption that massively amplifies the normal safety issues of bicycle helmets.
Imagine what it's going to do to your spine if you go rolling down the asphalt with that thing catching every half-turn.
Old 11-20-14, 11:19 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

One of the fun things about being a helmeteer (and no, mconlonx is not in that category) is that no matter the outcome of a bicycle accident, you get to be right.

Scenario #1: Bare-headed cyclist is injured. Helmeteer response: "A helmet would have prevented those injuries". Even if, as appears to be the case re. Bono, the helmet doesn't actually cover the injured areas.

Scenario #2: Bare-headed cyclist is killed. Helmeteer response: "A helmet would have saved his life".*

Scenario #3: Helmeted cyclist is injured. Helmeteer response: "His helmet saved is life!"

Scenario #4: Helmeted cyclist is killed. Helmeteer response: "Well, at least he was a responsible rider and did everything he could."

And let's not forget the incredibly common scenario #5: Bare-headed cyclist doesn't crash and doesn't hit his head. Helmeteer response: "Well, you're incredibly lucky and it's only a matter of time before it catches up with you. Unless you're superman or something."

*I'm being polite here. The usual helmeteer response to a dead bare-header is poorly concealed glee.

Last edited by Six jours; 11-20-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 07:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The anti helmet crowd always seem disappointed when a persons lives after an accident while wearing a helmet. And the reverse of that is they seem to be more than happy to report when a person dies while wearing a helmet. Sad!!!!!
Old 11-21-14, 08:20 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The anti helmet crowd always seem disappointed when a persons lives after an accident while wearing a helmet. And the reverse of that is they seem to be more than happy to report when a person dies while wearing a helmet. Sad!!!!!
Exactly, they use the numbers to their advantage... Most people survive after an acident thus no need for a helmet. But if you die, then a helmet didn't help you anyways so a helmet is useless...
Old 11-21-14, 09:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Flawed logic on your part. The survivors WERE wearing a helmet, and there are far more of them.
Old 11-21-14, 10:08 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Well I did have a few beers and may have to re-visit this thread tomorrow... But what I meant was that most falls don't result in a head trauma so you don't need to wear a helmet anyways from the non helmet wearers point of view... As I understand it...
Old 11-22-14, 05:19 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Imagine what it's going to do to your spine if you go rolling down the asphalt with that thing catching every half-turn.
OTOH the helmet will film the whole thing and post it on Facebook for you, and if necessary will change your status to "Wasted"
Old 11-22-14, 06:28 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
God knows you've said some ridiculous things in the past but this one takes the cake. Can you you cite a specific instance where a member of the "anti helmet" crowd was disappointed when a person lived after an accident?

If not, you need to apologize.
Old 11-22-14, 10:18 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Apparently I should have trademarked my post. But then, you could have claimed that with your added dose of stupidity, you made it your own.
Old 11-22-14, 11:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

six

Stupidity is a group of people that for some reason tries to convince others that they do not need to wear helments.
Old 11-22-14, 11:12 PM
rydabent
Banned

zman

The people that need to apologize are the people that try to convince others not to wear helmets. Any injury prevented by a helmet is a good thing.
Old 11-22-14, 11:38 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
zman

The people that need to apologize are the people that try to convince others not to wear helmets. Any injury prevented by a helmet is a good thing.
Don't try to change the subject. What you said is insulting and way out of line.
Old 11-23-14, 01:09 AM
broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zman

And you wear a helmet and body armour all the time as any injury prevented is a good thing.
Old 11-23-14, 08:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

zman

Only insulting to people that try to talk others out of wearing a helmet, when it could prevent injury. They are way out of line. I do not apologize to the irresponsible!! Therefore I have NOTHING to apologize for.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-24-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 08:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

broadway

List the mfg of cycling body armour, I might check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.