Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It just doesnt make any sense

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It just doesnt make any sense

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 05:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Triples were never used on racing bikes. 99% statement and saying triples will never come back to racing bikes is a specious argument.
Isn't that what I just stated to the other poster? Are you just looking for an argument for the sake of it? I think so.

Women, old men, touring cyclists, trikes, recumbents, and velomobile riders could take advantage of a sub 20 inch gear on steep hills
Why do these guys need a triple to get low gearing? Oh sorry I forgot, they also need a 50 mph+ top end gear.

Again, Shimano makes high quality triple cranksets. They are sold for instance in Germany like at Bike24. Try to buy and ship to the USA. Shimano will not allow it. This is not the market making the decision, it is Marketing forcing choices upon us.
So what has that got to do with anything I wrote?

I am not sure what faster shifting has to do with anything. Some would dispute whether electronic shifting is actually faster. I did not see 11s etap as especially fast. I understand 12s AXS is faster but I have not installed mine yet, need the chain and cassette to complete the group.
I meant rear shifts are faster than front shifts. Or have I got that wrong too?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 05:19 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Again, in the US, triples on a hybrid were very common, and for the most part that seemed to be a marketing gimmick to list 21 gears instead of 14.
For sure I'll bet there are a LOT of triples out there with completely showroom fresh unused outer chainrings. In the MTB world triples eventually led to the double+bash market for those who realised that the outer ring was a waste of time off-road.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 05:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
@rydabent threw out some incorrect and biased crap and we have been standing in crap flinging it around for six pages .......We all know all this stuff ... There is nothing to debate except how much each of us wants to debate .... And of course, My level contentiousness is correct .... Everyone else’s is insufficient or excessive.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-21, 05:29 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs
@rydabent threw out some incorrect and biased crap and we have been standing in crap flinging it around for six pages .......We all know all this stuff ... There is nothing to debate except how much each of us wants to debate .... And of course, My level contentiousness is correct .... Everyone else’s is insufficient or excessive.
Yep was thinking exactly the same. Time to press eject on this pointless thread.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 05:31 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Start at the top and work your way down the gears:

For 3x9: 14 gears in sequence
46 x 12 , 14 , 16 , 18 , 21 , 24 (then shift to middle ring and back one gear on the cassette)
36 x 21 , 24 , 28 , 32 (then shift to small ring and back 2 gears on the cassette)
26 x 24 , 28 , 32 , 36

For 2x12: 15 gears in sequence
43 x 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 15 , 17 , 19 , 21 , 24 , 28 (then shift to small ring and back 2 gears on the cassette)
30 x 21 , 24 , 28 , 32 , 36

The unused gears don't offer gear ratios that are significantly different than those in the sequence, and you'd have to double shift to get to them.

On edit:
The last triple setup I had was a 52/39/26 with a 10 Spd 12-23 cassette. It had an average step size of only 7%, and 21 non-redundant gears. It was very nice with one big exception -- you had to shift back 4 to 6 gears on the cassette when you shifted to a different chain ring. Ugh.
Thanks for explaining that. I see how you are coming up with the numbers 14 and 15 now, but I think we're comparing different things. See what Maelochs said. I am a special-needs rider.
Old 11-02-21, 05:32 AM
PeteHski

1. There never was a mainstream market for triples but there was a loyal, albeit small market for them

2. 1X only makes sense for gravel and Mtb

3. 1X tooth jumps is too high for road use and the gaps are annoying and it only solves the problem of cyclists too lazy to learn to shift.
True to your arrogant form right there.
Old 11-02-21, 06:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Saaaaayyyy, did I mention I also use laced cycling shoes? No BOAs or velcro straps for me. I don't need that new fangled tech. I can't seem to find many high end laced models. Big Bike trying to limit my choices.

I also wear cycling socks with 1" cuffs. The longer cuffs are for posers and people with chicken legs that need definition.

Last edited by seypat; 11-02-21 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-02-21, 06:30 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Saaaaayyyy, did I mention I also use laced cycling shoes? No BOAs or velcro straps for me. I don't need that new fangled tech. I can't seem to find many high end laced models. Big Bike trying to limit my choices.

I also wear cycling socks with 1" length. The longer lengths are for posers and people with chicken legs that need definition.
Good attempt, but I guess you haven't looked for laced cycling shoes very recently. In the last few years, there has been quite a proliferation of laced shoes, from the likes of Specialized, Giro, Pearl Izumi, Mavic, Scott, Rapha, etc. with models up to the $400 price range, which I'd consider high end.
Old 11-02-21, 06:44 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by nslckevin
...Anyway, blah, blah, blah. Every use case has it’s specific needs, but it seems like they could make a 2x setup that might fit your bill if they wanted to. But I’m guessing that they don’t feel there is a market to sell it to anyway. Also, I can imagine that needing to recharge derailleur batteries on a long back country tour could be problematic. Oh, and the group will run you $2k…
Assuming you could find the parts, you could put together a decent touring 3x9 for around $500.
Old 11-02-21, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Thanks for explaining that. I see how you are coming up with the numbers 14 and 15 now, but I think we're comparing different things. See what Maelochs said. I am a special-needs rider.
My gear use is insanely different than "normal" for completely different reasons, so I can relate to how trying to explain why something works for you is generally seen by people as an invitation to argue. I think you and Maelochs could explain to me until you were blue in the face why overlapping closely spaced and/or identical gear ratios are good things for you, and I'll never really understand because I can't relate to how your legs feel. At some point, I just have to take your word on that, which I definitely do.

As a history buff, though, I find it interesting that people's version of the "triple story" absolutely ignores hybrids, which were a huge portion of the bicycles being marketed and sold for a couple of decades, and which very frequently sported triples despite being basically useless off-road (see, especially, the unfortunately labeled "comfort bikes"). I think what's happened is that the hybrid designation has gone down the memory hole so people are ignoring the thing that probably accounted for most of the triple sales for several years.
Old 11-02-21, 07:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
hybrids were around for closer to 20 years and they all had triples iirc. those riders have been shuttled into e-bikes
Old 11-02-21, 07:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
"Hybrids" or whatever people choose to call them (as far as I recall) came about After MTBs became mainstream--and MTBs took up triples very early on---way before suspension---because off-road riders realized they needed really low gears to climb steep hills but still wanted to hammer on the flats. 48-38-28 morphed into 42-32-22 as I recall (having owned one of each) ... with the 42 thing coming in around the same time as suspension.

Then manufacturers realized that a lot of people were buying MTBs and riding them on the road---probably because they were flat-bar bikes, which a lot of people wanted. Eventually "hybrids" or "city bikes" or whatever were offered--slightly more road-oriented, less robust and less heavy MTB-style bikes with narrower tires, tread but no knobs, and more road-oriented gearing (48-38-28) and with lighter, smaller-diameter short-travel front forks (back when 80 mm was a lot of travel.)

Hybrids are still about the only lace where triples are offered. However, most people who are buying hybrids are not "serious" riders, in that they never intend to use the equipment anywhere near its limits .... and those folks aren't interested in what tier of components they have. They aren't about to pay another several thousand dollars for Ultegra or whatever .... they are fine with the low-tier components which work well enough for the lower-stress applications.

You can find lots of brand-new "Shimano-equipped" hybrids with triples, but they are all lower-end parts.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-21, 07:32 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by PeteHski
No argument with this. But I think the need for both super-low and super-high gearing simultaneously is actually a rare requirement. I expect a modern 2x11 or 2x12 would suit most guys looking for a Touring setup eg. Shimano GRX. The only small sacrifice is a bit of top end gearing that most people would never use anyway. 2x12 gives you a lot of gears to play with over a pretty wide range. 3x12 gives you even more of course, but who really needs that much resolution? People on this thread lamenting the passing of 3x drivetrains are mostly talking about older 3x9 setups, where a triple still made some sense over a 2x9.
I don't see anyone asking for a 3x12. Just that modern 2x and 1x systems don't work as well for touring as the 3x9's we already have. I play around with gearing calculators a lot and haven't found one that has both the range and spacing that would work for me as well as my current setup.
Likes For kingston:
Old 11-02-21, 07:37 AM
GhostRider62

True to your arrogant form right there.
It is true. It solves no problem other than the misperception that shifting a front derailleur is difficult.

Your opinions also come off as all knowing.
Old 11-02-21, 07:39 AM
GhostRider62

Maybe you need to ponder a little bit more. Better still try a bike with a 1x setup for yourself.
Ponder that one
Old 11-02-21, 07:41 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Where I live, where I ride, and at my age, weight, and level of fitness, I need both derailleurs. I just don't need three chainrings.
The Bay Area? I dunno. Some years ao I rented a bike and went for a ride with a guy I know. He took me on a route that went west from San Anselmo, going up toward the saddle near Muir Woods. The road had a section that must have been, I dunno, 22%? I was sure glad that the rented bike had a triple - otherwise I would have fallen over.

Here in Minnesota, which has more hills than people might imagine, a double is just fine for me, and in truth, I seldom use the small chain ring on some of my bikes.
Old 11-02-21, 07:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs
"Hybrids" or whatever people choose to call them (as far as I recall) came about After MTBs became mainstream--and MTBs took up triples very early on---way before suspension---because off-road riders realized they needed really low gears to climb steep hills but still wanted to hammer on the flats. 48-38-28 morphed into 42-32-22 as I recall (having owned one of each) ... with the 42 thing coming in around the same time as suspension.

Then manufacturers realized that a lot of people were buying MTBs and riding them on the road---probably because they were flat-bar bikes, which a lot of people wanted. Eventually "hybrids" or "city bikes" or whatever were offered--slightly more road-oriented, less robust and less heavy MTB-style bikes with narrower tires, tread but no knobs, and more road-oriented gearing (48-38-28) and with lighter, smaller-diameter short-travel front forks (back when 80 mm was a lot of travel.)

Hybrids are still about the only lace where triples are offered. However, most people who are buying hybrids are not "serious" riders, in that they never intend to use the equipment anywhere near its limits .... and those folks aren't interested in what tier of components they have. They aren't about to pay another several thousand dollars for Ultegra or whatever .... they are fine with the low-tier components which work well enough for the lower-stress applications.

You can find lots of brand-new "Shimano-equipped" hybrids with triples, but they are all lower-end parts.
Yeah we had a handful of MTBs with triples from the early 2000s. They were standard issue on MTBs at the time. The last triple I had was on a 2004 full-suss trail bike and I later converted that to a double. Then 1x took over from 2014 onward when I replaced that bike. MTBs improved dramatically during that period and not just because of gearing.
Old 11-02-21, 07:45 AM
AlanO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Did you not read the original post? The question it posed was "Why get rid of the triple?" Just because you don't need one is not a valid reason to get rid of them.
Did you not read my comment? I said if I needed one I would have one. This whole discussion is stupid. No gearing is right for everyone, use what works for you.
Old 11-02-21, 07:45 AM
PeteHski

It is true. It solves no problem other than the misperception that shifting a front derailleur is difficult.

Your opinions also come off as all knowing.
Coming from you of all people! LOL!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-02-21, 07:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Good attempt, but I guess you haven't looked for laced cycling shoes very recently. In the last few years, there has been quite a proliferation of laced shoes, from the likes of Specialized, Giro, Pearl Izumi, Mavic, Scott, Rapha, etc. with models up to the $400 price range, which I'd consider high end.
Just moving it down the tracks some more. Chuga chuga!
Old 11-02-21, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
I don't see anyone asking for a 3x12. Just that modern 2x and 1x systems don't work as well for touring as the 3x9's we already have. I play around with gearing calculators a lot and haven't found one that has both the range and spacing that would work for me as well as my current setup.
Yeah. One of the most unpleasant aspects of touring for me is being caught between gears, especially on a long climb. I know what I like and what works for me for the type of touring I do. Why change if I don't have to? Maybe the day will come when I can no longer get parts for my 3x9 and I will have to make a change. No intention of doing so unless and until that happens.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-02-21, 08:51 AM
PeteHski

Why not something like this 2x11? Or even closer 2x12
Attached Images

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-02-21 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-02-21, 08:56 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
This whole thread is nothing but a online version of cockfighting. The experienced long time member OP knew exactly what the result would be and the usual suspects jump in. Classic is the idiot who throws in “The Alpes aren’t steep” comment. A vast majority of this forum are nothing but trolling threads to debate known contentious issues. I mean really, 3x9 drivetrains are something anyone other than some nostalgic old timer is looking for? With that I am out, maybe will check into the forum in a few months or so but time to move on. Nothing to see here.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-02-21, 08:57 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Why not something like this 2x11?
It'd be better with 12-14-16-18, but yeah, that would work ok. Who makes it?
Old 11-02-21, 09:10 AM
PeteHski

It'd be better with 12-14-16-18, but yeah, that would work ok. Who makes it?
I added the latest Shimano 2x12.
BTW I'm not saying you should ditch your 3x9. I'm just showing that you can achieve the same thing with a modern 2x setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.