Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What year did Campagnolo become Shimano?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What year did Campagnolo become Shimano?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 07:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Thank you for the positive feedback.
Corrected, I was wrong and being a blowhard.
Old 01-09-23, 07:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Looks like a melted bar of soap that doesn't even match the finish or contours of its chainrings. Previous cranks had sharp, pro edges. So did DA 7400. This just looks like:

Personally 10-sp aluminum Record cranks remind me more of 9-speed Ultegra and 105 cranks than those Suntour cranks.

I happen love the looks of those Record cranks and 6500/5500 also.
Old 01-09-23, 08:09 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This is Bike Forums, so we are all acting like blowhards. But I agree with your assessment when applied to my 1982 Peugeot. I ride the Peugeot a few times a year just to remember how much better my newer bikes (all of them) are. And I put Dura Ace 7800 brakes and modern wheels with a 9 speed cluster on the Peugeot, because I like to stop and I like to go.
Old 01-09-23, 08:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
It's a beautiful bike, but it reflects an era of even greater homogeneity (in regards to appearance) than today.
Bikes in general have lost the aesthetics from decades ago. Same with automobiles. Every SUV, sedan or pickup shares the same shape as the other brand. Take the logo off the car and it's hard to tell what car it is. Dare I say even BMW's look like some of the Korean imports?

Same with bikes. Carbon and aluminum rule as does the industrial clean no nonsense design. Bikes in one group, say carbon, all seem to display the same look. Heck many of the bikes sold today are made in one of two plants (Maxway and Giant). Those companies build bikes for many brands. That's why they all look alike.

Do I miss the flowing lines of old Campy? Yes. Do I like the look of some of the new bikes and components? Yes. I own both and enjoy both. I will tell you this though, my dream bike is not a $10,000 carbon wonderbike. My dream bike is a Colnago Arabesque with a full new old stock (NOS) Campy Super Record group.

This is a bicycle when form is married to function...

I'm not talking racing. I'm talking pure riding enjoyment.

Old 01-09-23, 08:22 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
We're all blowhards here at times. Yes, I like my vintage look and craftsmanship. That craftsmanship is still alive today in the high end bikes, It's the "look" of the new bikes that doesn't appeal to me. They elicit no emotion in me, except maybe the new Pinarello Dogma F. It has flowing smooth lines, It looks like its moving even when it's standing still, like a track sprinter in the blocks. I might be talked in to one of those if I hit the Powerball.
Old 01-09-23, 09:05 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
…They are still around by the tens of thousands and virtually indistinguishable from each other in both build quality or ride. I get the romantic attachment to an item or product lusted for in your youth but to say the current bikes are generic or dull is unfounded.
QFT. remove the nostalgia and it’s hard to make a case for that being aesthetically superior, let alone functionally.

simpler, more standardized, and easier to maintain, yes.
Old 01-09-23, 10:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider
nope
artichoke
Old 01-10-23, 12:08 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
2) on the mechanical front derailleur, the two clicks are to trim the derailleur position, not one for up, two for down.
There is no half click 'trim click' with the Campy FD's. Every click is the same, so you do have to click twice to change up or down. Whereas on Shimano, you click once (full click) to change. Or you can do a half click to do a half step trim.

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
3) Hollowtech cranks NEVER fail at the bonded joint...My 5 arm crank from around 2011 has the Hirth Joint and it works, and it allows me to preload the bearings by shimming the bottom bracket cups. It is in no way shape or form a "copy" of the Shimano crank. And I like the way it looks; no clamp at the spindle.
Shimano has a problem with the glued-together cranks. The solid aluminum ones (ie. 105 and below) are totally fine. And the Hollowtech II design with the hollow axle and external BB is entirely successful. Look at how many other company copy that general idea- only changing the diameters and some minor details. How many other companies copy the Hirth joint thing? Hardly anyone. So that tells you which one is the better solution. In any event, Shimano came up with the external bottom bracket idea, and Campy's UT was just their attempt at copying Shimano but making it fussier. And using wavy washers to take up slack is just a bad idea period.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 01-10-23 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-10-23, 07:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
...I get the romantic attachment to an item or product lusted for in your youth but to say the current bikes are generic or dull is unfounded.
I appreciate your opinion. As a retired mechanical engineer I have no romantic attachment to lugged steel but do find today's carbon fiber dull. Hard to clearly state but maybe understood in these very different approaches:
and https://officinabattaglin.com/the-man-of-steel/
Old 01-10-23, 08:03 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
There is no half click 'trim click' with the Campy FD's. Every click is the same, so you do have to click twice to change up or down. Whereas on Shimano, you click once (full click) to change. Or you can do a half click to do a half step trim.
So you haven’t ridden Campy have you?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-10-23, 08:45 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
Modern cassettes have twelve gears. Modern audio requires 12 speakers. Coincidence?

It's just a matter of time before a 13th is required for both!
Old 01-10-23, 08:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Modern cassettes have twelve gears. Modern audio requires 12 speakers. Coincidence?

It's just a matter of time before a 13th is required for both!
What the upper limit on volume? Is it at 10 or a number about that?
Old 01-10-23, 09:04 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Sounds like some of you spend more time looking at your bike than riding it. I could care less what the components look like.
Old 01-10-23, 10:26 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I appreciate your opinion. As a retired mechanical engineer I have no romantic attachment to lugged steel but do find today's carbon fiber dull. Hard to clearly state but maybe understood in these very different approaches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKkueqcKmQ and https://officinabattaglin.com/the-man-of-steel/
The actuality can be quite different without the editing and a romantic narrative. The reality of the batch-produced Italian frames of the ’70s and ’80s is not noble or romantic. They were bulk produced in standard sizes by production welders and metal workers. It was why any bike shop dealing with these bikes at any scale had the beautiful Campagnolo Tool kit in its resplendent wooden case. It was required to face all the surfaces, chase and clean up the threads, align the dropouts etc. There is nothing special about the skills required to build bicycle frames, especially once batch production has been established. Lastly, just because more manual labour was involved does not correlate with higher quality, better-performing products. Take a video of an old speed shop rebuilding performance motors by hand and compare that with the shop which builds Porsche or BMW M series motors. The speed shop may be more artisanal, but the performance, reliability, and consistency do not even come close.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-10-23, 11:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
There was the 11s Athena silver group, which was maybe the last of the classic looking Campy.

I've long wished I would have picked up a couple of sets of that in Triples. I have 10 speed triples that I like, but I believe the Athena increased the max cog size on the rear form 29T to 32T and there are times when those extra 3T would be nice as I get "more experienced".
Old 01-10-23, 01:35 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
My dream bike is a Colnago Arabesque with a full new old stock (NOS) Campy Super Record group.

This is a bicycle when form is married to function...
With a coat of paint and a chrome dork disc the size of a pie plate, that bike would look almost exactly like the old Sears Free Spirit 10-speed I rode for about a decade...
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-10-23, 04:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
With a coat of paint and a chrome dork disc the size of a pie plate, that bike would look almost exactly like the old Sears Free Spirit 10-speed I rode for about a decade...
You just made me throw up a little. Clearly you missed the pictures or something. Sears did not ever use Glico tubing with nice lugs. I guess if you so thickly coated it in paint that the tubes and lugs were well hidden under deep layers of paint it might be slightly similar in that yes a lot of bikes have a similar shape throughout the history of bikes.
Old 01-10-23, 08:51 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Yes, I agree if you can not distinguish or differentiate.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-11-23, 06:54 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I think aesthetically they peaked with the 10 speed Record and Chorus that featured the aluminum levers and crank.
Agree. The four arm + hidden bolt aluminum Record crank of the 9s-10s era is a thing of beauty. There used to be a fan site called "Campy Only," and the web master shut it down when the record group started looking more or less like the Shimano stuff. I'll freely state that I think modern four arm cranks are eyesores. They aren't the sort of thing I'd want to see on a Richard Sachs for instance.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 04-06-23 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 07:37 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The exact year would be 2014 when they came out with this 4-arm crankset to copy Shimano:
Is the right answer.

Another key moment was when they got rid of Athena and replaced it with Potenza.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 01-11-23, 10:43 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
I started using Record components in the early 80’s. They worked well, you could order small components if something broke, and the finish was extremely durable. It was quite difficult to scratch or mar the coating on crank arms, brake calipers, and derailleurs.

Recently I have been running Dura Ace 9200 components, and I am surprised how fragile the finish is. The crank set shows more scratches and wear marks in a few months that my old Record parts showed after a few years. Perhaps it’s a marketing strategy to make things look worn more quickly in order to get people to replace or upgrade them more often.
Old 01-11-23, 11:39 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I started using Record components in the early 80’s. They worked well, you could order small components if something broke, and the finish was extremely durable. It was quite difficult to scratch or mar the coating on crank arms, brake calipers, and derailleurs.

Recently I have been running Dura Ace 9200 components, and I am surprised how fragile the finish is. The crank set shows more scratches and wear marks in a few months that my old Record parts showed after a few years. Perhaps it’s a marketing strategy to make things look worn more quickly in order to get people to replace or upgrade them more often.
that’s my only complaint about my current DA 9200 gear; the finish is scuffed off completely in two spots on the crank arm. from my shoes. otherwise it still looks fantastic, incredibly reliable and quick and smooth.
Old 01-12-23, 12:07 AM
stan01

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
The one on the left was a Pro-Ject debut carbon since given to my dotter and replaced with a Thorens TD124, the one on the right is a VPI HW19.

Vase is gone lamps have been replaced with cooler ones, I need light on that side of the Mancave.

Sweet setup. Is that a vintage Thorens or a newer model? And how is it setup?
Old 01-12-23, 08:38 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Mmmmm....Yummy.

Old 01-12-23, 11:29 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Is the right answer.

Another key moment was when they got rid of Athena and replaced it with Potenza.
+2 that was it for me. Paying Campag levels of coin for something that looks like the lid of compost recycling bin. Campag should be functional AND aesthetically pleasing, that looks like it fell out of the ugly tree, smashing its face on every branch on the way down.

And Shimano don't hold any high ground on the looks as they've not made a half decent looking crank for 20 years, since the 7800 era, and its wheelie bin styling with all their modern stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.