Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Intensity riding for older riders (70+)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Intensity riding for older riders (70+)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 09:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
At 75.5 I am trying to restrict my HR to <140 on long climbs with some peaks up to 150. Occasionally, if climbing at this HR for a long period 1.5-2 hrs my HR will jump to 160-165 on my monitor.
Definitely, this is not my actual HR. The monitor must be pickup occasion brief fast beats.
Furthermore, after and extended intense climbs as above, when resting, my HR will drop to 110-115 and stay there most likely indicating that I am over tired whereas after shorter climbs my HR will drop quickly to 90.
Maybe, the extended intense climb is causing a short arrhythmia.
As mentioned earlier, my cardiologist is against high intensity. Arterial pressure goes up with intensity, and that may cause serious problems. Of course, high intensity is relative for each rider, and everyone makes their own choices.
Since you have a cardiologist, some time when the season is right, see if they'll fit you with a Halter device (or whatever the modern gadget is) and wearing it, go do one of those long climbs as hard as is reasonable for you. That's the only way to know for sure what's going on and whether or not it has the potential to be dangerous. It doesn't sound like good news to me.

Google "rate of heart rate recovery".
Old 08-30-22, 10:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Since you have a cardiologist, some time when the season is right, see if they'll fit you with a Halter device (or whatever the modern gadget is) and wearing it, go do one of those long climbs as hard as is reasonable for you..
The cool new heart monitor gizmo is a Zio Patch. It sticks to your chest:

Wear it for 10 days, peel it off, mail it in.

The only problem is that it falls off when you sweat, so biking with it is problematic. After 8 days, mine fell off while I was climbing Mt. Hamilton. I fished a candy wrapper out of the garbage, shoved the Zio Patch inside, stuck it in my jersey pocket, and mailed it in when I got home.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-30-22 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-01-22, 09:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
What I've learned (only 64) is that if I don't, eventually I can't. My surgeon who put in my new aortic valve and shored up my aortic root 11 years ago told me, "no restrictions" but my cardiologist told me, "take it easy". I followed my surgeons recommendations and after a couple of years of regular visits to the cardiologist, he finally said, "Keep doing what you're doing." They need to do more studies on us gettin old farts.
Old 09-01-22, 11:34 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
What I've learned (only 64) is that if I don't, eventually I can't. My surgeon who put in my new aortic valve and shored up my aortic root 11 years ago told me, "no restrictions" but my cardiologist told me, "take it easy". I followed my surgeons recommendations and after a couple of years of regular visits to the cardiologist, he finally said, "Keep doing what you're doing." They need to do more studies on us gettin old farts.
My cardiologist seems to be on the conservative side recommending the avoidance of high intensity. Of course, high intensity is relative. High intensity meaning doing intervals at yr maxHR or 90% or lower of maxHR. I am avoiding intervals at maxHR, but knows if it really matters. Maybe you one can develop heart problems even at moderate intensity if you are prone to them.
Old 09-02-22, 12:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I think some older (context of thread: 70+) athletes have a cardiologist. And once one has one, we are in cardiologist hell. By that I mean tests, interpretation of tests, advice and treatment and unlike a bad back, heart matters are very stressful.

I started to feel extra heart beats, PACs in my late 20s, that seemed to be due to better fitness. I was running and cycling. I wore a heart rate monitor for a day, did a stress test and was told I was fine but had a heart murmur. I have been plagued by PACs off and on since then. A racing friend, who is the same age and an electro cardiologist, told me that since the arrhythmia has not killed me in 40 years it will probably not kill me in the future. That was comforting. Two other recent cardiologists, who were my doctors, said the PACs are benign and I have no “bad” rhythms. And I have less PACs than most, I just feel them.

My current cardiologist is monitoring the valve that was noted in 1980. It is stable but if it goes bad, I have to have it fixed. It has been stable for 40 years. She is a runner and treats mostly athletes - runners, triathletes and cyclists. She has reviewed my training. Yeah, she wanted to see my HR and power data. She likes my training plan. I get a lot of rest and take rest between the higher intensity intervals. I have a programmatic warmup, do the workout and then warm down and recovery ride. Then more recovery between training sessions. My heart gets a lot of recovery and it is not run for extended periods of time day after day. Although, I did a tour of Croatia, Italy and Greece last year and rode a lot. But even then, I have days of recovery between countries.

So here is the elephant in the room…what does this cardiologist think about AFib? She thinks that Afib, if affected by cycling, is driven by volume (not enough recovery) versus intensity. YMMV and sorry if that comment does not support your cycling goals.

I get a yearly echo and blood work and if I feel something change in the heart rhythm, I wear a Zio patch. My relationship with the doctor is very collaborative / monitoring.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-02-22, 04:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I think most older athletes have a cardiologist.
Shocking if true. What’s “older?”
Old 09-02-22, 05:46 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Shocking if true. What’s “older?”
I'm sure Hermes will respond in his own fashion. But I think you're question might be interpreted as : Who's an "athlete" ? Age being more related as we 'age'....
Athlete definition is quite soft/gray. Are you an athlete if you are training and competing in some sporting activity? I guess so. Are you an athlete if you participate in some sporting activity? I don;t consider so, that's a participant...
I don't really consider myself as an 'Athlete. Anymore. It's been 10 years since I rode any for competition and competitive goals, and 'trained' for such.
I am a lifelong 'participant' in cycling and some other sports and activities. I think 'serious' is the improper designation - I am 'Dedicated'.
so, a 'dedicated participant'. That means I do use 'training methods' to improve my current levels... also means there are goals... but a softer edge of achieving/performing. At least as to what was when competition was 'serious'.
so, Hermes is a 'competitor', as noted. He's an athlete. I'm on the soft/gray side as a 'participant'.
His observation for 'aging athletes', may appear to hold water.
Do as many aging 'participants' have cardiologists? ? ? ...
My prior, more youthful self is history, It does show the way to NOW, which is who I am.
As an aging participant, I have a cardiologist; and since I still wish to approach my boundaries, I'd rather not jump off the cliff... LOL
Whether 'Athlete' or 'Participant', how best to approach, and the tools needed, to bounce against our boundaries, is the crux of the aging mystery.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-03-22, 07:57 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm a little shy of the 70 if this thread and I have a Cardiologist. I guess I'm still an athlete, I still keep my USACycling license but rarely race anymore, I had intended to see if sub hour was possible for 40k but orthopedic issues got in the way of my heart.

I find that too much intensity causes timing problems for me (missing beats...PVC). I can do as much zone 1/2 riding as I want and not have any observed effect on my heart.

The best relevant study that I could find is a little annoying in describing the training of those males with higher risks of a-fib other than they raced more and did better in the races. Does that mean they did more or less HIIT?

For male skiers, the long-term incidence of atrial fibrillation was similar to that observed in male nonskiers; however, after adjusting for other diseases related to atrial fibrillation, skiers had a higher risk of atrial fibrillation. Furthermore, higher number of races and better performance were associated with a higher incidence of atrial fibrillation in male skiers. Skiers in general had a lower incidence of stroke, but skiers who developed atrial fibrillation had a considerably higher incidence of stroke than nonskiers without atrial fibrillation. Skiers diagnosed with atrial fibrillation had an almost halved mortality compared with nonskiers with atrial fibrillation.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full...AHA.118.039461
Old 09-03-22, 08:49 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
We live in a world of sound bites, captured expressions and edited narrative that takes information out of context for a purpose. So be it. I struggle with what to call older people that are still participating in a sport or activity. I find athlete a better description than old fart or other adjectives that embrace old age and stigmatize us.

The context of this thread is 70+ so one could assume that is what I meant. “Most” is probably too grand of a modifier. The lead in sentence is just that - a lead in. My heart health is very important to me and once it was compromised by heredity or environmental, I was now in hell. That is the point and I am sure that others are in their with me.

In my 7 decades, I have read many articles, books, studies, trials and etc. Some have turned out to be true and many, that seemed promising, walked back. Does that mean I ignore peer reviewed journal articles? No. I rely on my docs that I use to review the pertinent information and in connection with the cadre of patients they treat, provide me with the best medical care. I use general information available to me to stay informed but not make medical decisions about my heart health.

I have revised my introductory sentence of a rather lengthy post to be…more precise so that it can stand alone.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-03-22, 08:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I'm 71, ride both hard and easy; average 15 to 20 hours a week (other than winter). No cardiologist. I've been visiting my GP for a checkup about once every 5 years or so for a long time, though.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-03-22, 07:26 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
My 'longevity exercise cardiologist' told me to sell my power lawn mower and buy an old fashion rotary blade push mower. Works the whole body, has to be done regularly, cardio but not extreme, physical but not extreme. Less dangerous that rock climbing. Big lawn, in season. We all make fitness goals, decisions, actions from a slightly different point of view. I upgraded to an e-mower.

edit: Ride on.
REEL mower?
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 09-03-22, 09:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
REEL mower?
Yeah, real old.
Old 09-04-22, 08:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
71 here. Foothills east of Seattle.
Lucky to have hills that serve as intervals.
Almost every ride finishes with a 400' elevation gain over the last 1.75 mi.
I listen to my body.
It tells me to still ride hard, but after a hard ride take a day or two off the bike.
I ride fewer days but a bit longer. Now about 30mi 3 or 4 times per week, when 10 years ago I was riding 6/wk @ 20mi avg.

I'm just training to feel good every day. And to hike, bike, ski, et al....
I ride to increase my life's pleasures - sights, sounds, smells, activity, smiling, etc.
No electronics any more. No stats, charts, Joel Friedman (sp?). Been there.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
An analysis of the aero effects of Figon’s pony tail figured in his losing attempt to win the Tour de France showed that it created such drag, he lost to the very aero Greg LeMond. Not that you are out to win Le Tour, but thought it was a fun fact. Ride on!

Old 09-04-22, 09:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Maybe I should shave the head - not to go faster, but to reduce the intensity needed to achieve the same speed.
Maybe naked riding would help, too.
But we all set our limitations.
Mine to minimize others' lamentations.
Old 09-10-22, 04:39 PM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I'll be 78 in a few weeks and live in Florida where bike trails are mostly flat. I generally ride my Catrike 40 miles twice a week, averaging 12/13 mph with an occasional 14 MPH ride. My heart rate is unusually low, sometimes mid 30s in the morning and 40s/50 during the day. I gradually get it up to 120/140 on my rides. My annual checkup is coming up and I'm going to ask if I ought to take it easier. I hope I won't have to. I'm having fun.

Last edited by soloman; 09-10-22 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 10:51 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Hills will get the heart going no doubt. Getting too sweaty is not my thing.
I have never read 1 word in a book about heart rates. LOL. I have ZERO miles wearing a monitor. The doctors did hook me up a couple times because I fainted at work because of gallbladder stones giving me pains. Waste of time, I keep telling them fainting is of NO concern in my case.
10 years ago I was checking my pulse on 100 mile rides. It would stick around 110 I think.
Just the last 3.5 weeks I did 92.5, 100, 115 and 106 today. I sight see, do my miles, have a couple lunches, get tired and go home. LOL.
The other 6 months I sit on my computer chair. Maybe go out and shovel snow off the street. My new strength exercise is grabbing my 44 and 75 lb bikes by the seat tube and lifting them up for a minute. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-11-22 at 03:17 PM.