Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Material Preference Poll

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Frame Material Preference
Carbon Fiber
31.25%
Aluminum
7.81%
Steel
47.66%
Titanium
13.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Frame Material Preference Poll

Old 11-10-22, 12:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I was wondering where that concept of heavy touring came from.

The comment was made to illustrate the point that the OP did not specify the type of frame they are looking for, or the intended purpose of said frame. Without that criteria, there is no way anyone can answer the question. In other words, it is a garbage pole with no chance of compiling any accurate results. It is completely pointless without knowing the frame's intended use.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-10-22, 12:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ommuter-2.html

Here. Read these 6 pages. This guy got titanium, Alfine11 with hydo disc brakes and belt drive.
Lots of discussion about my fave drum brakes.

Hey, Bob .... IF and when I see anybody going 20 miles with a 5 lb grocery bag on both sides of a CF racer handlebar, then I'll consider them not useless. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-10-22 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-10-22, 12:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
I think frame materials are great especially ones that can build a frame that does what you want it to do. Some frames are made of different materials so you can have a choice of materials and frames. If you like frame materials you should get a frame built from those materials so you can ride it. Riding on frames made of materials is the best : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-10-22, 12:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,033 Times in 3,800 Posts
Of the 7 bikes currently in my stable. 5 are CF, 1 is steel, and 1 is aluminum. Of those, the bikes I ride most are CF, largely because they are the newest, lightest, and excite me the most.

What I have suits the way I ride, and my personal preferences, which may not be anything like your preferences and the way you ride.
Old 11-10-22, 01:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
The comment was made to illustrate the point that the OP did not specify the type of frame they are looking for, or the intended purpose of said frame. Without that criteria, there is no way anyone can answer the question. In other words, it is a garbage pole with no chance of compiling any accurate results. It is completely pointless without knowing the frame's intended use.
This was posted in the General Forum. So, yes, it covers just about everything.

Had it been put in a specific subforum, then it would have led the answers better.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-10-22, 03:53 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Steel. For aesthetic reasons mostly, but affordability (vs CF) and other reasons too.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-10-22, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It depends on the type of riding and a couple dozen other factors.
That's what I like most about my steel frames. They're suitable for any type of riding. Gravel riding, longer distance road riding, singletrack and mountain bike trails, bikepacking, loaded touring, commuting and utility riding, recreational riding, steel frames can do it all and they are a lot more durable than carbon or aluminum.
Old 11-10-22, 05:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
You didn't say what kind of bike the frame material was for. If a road bike, I have had all sorts of frame material, and steel was the best, and I still have several steel bikes. That was until I got a titanium bike, that bike rides like it's on air...fine, not like it's on air but it is noticeably smoother than steel.

But it does depend on how the bike is going to be used. In 2019 I bought a steel touring bike, why steel if I love TI so much? due to cost for one, but when a steel touring bike is loaded up, along with its larger tires, it rides very smoothly, so there is no need to go with a TI touring bike.

If you're going to be racing a road bike above CAT 3 you probably want a CF bike because it's lighter and responsive, but having said that if you're going to be road racing CAT 3 or below, I would only use an aluminum frame bike because crashes happen a lot in racing, and more so in the beginning categories, and an AL frame is a lot less expensive to replace vs a CF frame. Also, above CAT 3 levels you usually get at least a huge discount on bikes, but most of the time you will get a free bike, so a CF bike is the way to go then.

Let me clear the air because I know how people get when it comes to frames, these are just my thoughts, nothing political going on with my response.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-10-22, 05:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I carved my frame from a big block of soap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-10-22, 05:56 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Self cleaning?
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-10-22, 07:35 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Best in a cool, dry climate I'd guess.
Old 11-10-22, 07:42 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
It depends on what you already own. If you have the itch then buy a frame material you don't currently have to try it out they all have their pros and cons.
Old 11-10-22, 07:56 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I've ridden all four types and I found neither made me more or less comfortable riding on the beat-up streets of LA, so I stick with brazed steel bikes because I like how they look.
Likes For Vinnems:
Old 11-10-22, 08:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
My favorite bike ATM is a 32 lbs Al 29er with a chromoly fork.
This has more to do with it being a flatbar upright and very comfortable since my last crash that aggravated rotator cuff injuries.

My favorite bike before that was an 853 steel crit bike I crashed on (great ride quality).
My favorite bike before that was a fully carbon dropbar endurance bike (light/responsive).

It is the sum of the components, frame/fork materials, and fit with me and current injury status that decides my preferences.
Old 11-10-22, 08:03 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Now why didn't I think of that..... hmmm
Old 11-10-22, 08:22 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by phughes
Then give us a hint. What kind of frame are you looking for? What will it be used for? Is it a bent? Is it a BMX bike? Will it be bigger than a breadbox?
I've been doing so much research into frame materials that I actually forgot why I was looking in the first place, sorry. I'm looking for the holy grail of bikes. In other words, the single one that says, "Hey, you don't need those others." And that would make my DW very happy. She encourages me (I'm 73 btw) to do good in the neighborhood which is why I fix other people's bikes, cars, trailers, and whatever is needed. But she is now encouraging me to begin downsizing the herd. I'm looking for an endurance style bike that I can put full fenders on in the winter, ride strictly roads/mups. Don't need to fit anything wider than 28mm tires. And last, but definitely not least, not weigh as much as the iron I currently own. I've already donated several bikes to the local charity and I still have 2 sheds full. (They're small sheds) I need to get down to one though so the DW can have the other for a potting shed. My fave right now is an aluminum with carbon fork, but it's a racing geometry and after 30 miles I feel done in but love the speed and quickness of it. My second fave is vintage steel and so comfortable I can go all day on it, just much slower. I contemplated upgrading it to brifters and 700c wheels a while back, but that won't make it any lighter. The other's in the stable are mostly alloys with low end components that I never ride anymore. Carbon was my first choice, but then I started thinking maybe titanium. However, like I said earlier, my current fave is alum, so maybe just find an alum endurance bike with drop bars. Lots of nice ones out there. Too many options really. Just thought I would filter through what others thought and why. Thanks for all the input. Smokey
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-10-22, 08:29 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Attilio
It depends on what you already own. If you have the itch then buy a frame material you don't currently have to try it out they all have their pros and cons.
I don't currently have a full carbon or a titanium, so maybe I need 2 more bikes is what you're saying? haha Oh yeah, the DW will be pulling out those divorce papers by morning haha. She would rather I buy another Harley than another pedal bike, but I've convinced her that I am working toward getting down to just one, and she's happy about that, so I better follow through. Huh?
Old 11-10-22, 08:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
Perhaps we should reframe the question. What would be the best frame material for a sub 700 gram frame? What. Would be the most comfortable endurance bike sub 1,000 grams. What is the most durable 2,000 gram frame set. In reality carbon would be superior in each category. Tell me any material other than carbon which could hit sub 700 grams remain reliable at mass market pricing. How about comfort, no way any titanium frame is as comfortable as a Roubaix or Domane. Carbons amazing weight to strength ratio as well as total flexibility regarding layup means it is unbeatable in any cycling related arena.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-10-22, 08:38 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps we should reframe the question. What would be the best frame material for a sub 700 gram frame? What. Would be the most comfortable endurance bike sub 1,000 grams. What is the most durable 2,000 gram frame set. In reality carbon would be superior in each category. Tell me any material other than carbon which could hit sub 700 grams remain reliable at mass market pricing. How about comfort, no way any titanium frame is as comfortable as a Roubaix or Domane. Carbons amazing weight to strength ratio as well as total flexibility regarding layup means it is unbeatable in any cycling related arena.
Now that's the kind of argument I was looking for. Thank you. So far I am leaning in the direction of carbon since I'm not even looking at steel. I just know there are a lot of steel disciples out there. But I haven't ruled out alum or titanium yet either.
Old 11-10-22, 09:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8257 Post(s)
Liked 8,977 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ommuter-2.html

Here. Read these 6 pages. This guy got titanium, Alfine11 with hydo disc brakes and belt drive.
Lots of discussion about my fave drum brakes.

Hey, Bob .... IF and when I see anybody going 20 miles with a 5 lb grocery bag on both sides of a CF racer handlebar, then I'll consider them not useless. LOL.
You're always so dogmatic and hard-ass about this stuff. Lots of people enjoy riding CF bikes, racing, fun rides, and even touring. A group of us did a 6 day tour and one of the CF bikes towed a B.O.B. trailer and 3 of the others used seat post racks with panniers and even backpacks.

I ride with 2 road clubs. 500 members in one and about half that in the other. The vast majority of the members ride CF bikes. Never seen drum brakes except on tandems. Don't recall ever seeing an IGH. edit: I remembered there was a guy with an IGH on an old Trek CF bike a few weeks ago. He also had flat bars and he passed me on a 3 mile climb. He was about 70 pounds lighter than I am, I'm guessing.

Last edited by big john; 11-11-22 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-10-22, 09:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8257 Post(s)
Liked 8,977 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Now that's the kind of argument I was looking for. Thank you. So far I am leaning in the direction of carbon since I'm not even looking at steel. I just know there are a lot of steel disciples out there. But I haven't ruled out alum or titanium yet either.
Titanium frames can ride soft or harsh. I have a Seven which is on the harsh side. I've put over 50K miles on it and it is durable but it feels like a CAAD5 I used to have.
I rode a friend's Moots Vamoots and it felt like a spring compared to my Seven.
I've had a number of steel frames and still have one. Steel can be extremely harsh or very soft. I have broken 3 steel frames.
The only full CF bike I've had is my mtb.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-10-22, 09:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Probably true, except when one desires a custom-built frame. (But very few riders truly need a custom frame for anything other than novelty or vanity.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-11-22, 04:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Probably true, except when one desires a custom-built frame. (But very few riders truly need a custom frame for anything other than novelty or vanity.)
You can have a custom built carbon frame too. I've noticed the "boutique" market is inevitably heading in that direction at the top end.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-11-22, 04:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's what I like most about my steel frames. They're suitable for any type of riding. Gravel riding, longer distance road riding, singletrack and mountain bike trails, bikepacking, loaded touring, commuting and utility riding, recreational riding, steel frames can do it all and they are a lot more durable than carbon or aluminum.
I would put good money on it that you have never even ridden a carbon bike (or probably anything else other steel). You don't even appear to have discovered gears yet.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-11-22, 07:12 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would put good money on it that you have never even ridden a carbon bike (or probably anything else other steel). You don't even appear to have discovered gears yet.

I have no desire to try carbon because I believe it's inferior to steel it terms of toughness and durability. And I also have an old aluminum MTB with a rigid steel fork which is holding up great after many years of hard riding. The only issue with aluminum frame is a bit of galvanic corrosion on the lower chainstay bridge and that is the result of road salt corroding a steel bolt and reacting with aluminum. My steel frames had rustroofing oil sprayed inside tubes and there is no rust even after many years of winter riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.