Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Old 08-07-10, 08:27 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.
seems like a major overreaction then
Old 08-07-10, 08:28 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.
No this thread has thus far remained civil.

Why even argue about it? I really don't get why you and few others here bother with the "Others". You aren't going to change their minds, you aren't going to win so what's the point?
Old 08-07-10, 08:29 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah I know this thread is a good one. That was the first point that I made.

The only thing I have against it is that (perhaps only due to the title) it reinforces the "41 vs 33" myth.
Old 08-07-10, 08:31 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
seems like a major overreaction then
Don't believe it's one thing but the accumulation of many. There are at least 3 mods I could name that are way too overly sensitive to have mod powers. This, combined with the overly sensitive nature of the 41 (proven by the "they don't wave at me" "roadies are arrogant snobs' threads) I'm sure the constant whining that some adult male had his feelings hurt has finally reached a point where Tom has just had enough. I don't blame him, I would have shut this place (BF) down months ago.
Old 08-07-10, 08:34 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if I were the boss...

Old 08-07-10, 08:36 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
My spidey senses have kept me out of that "Addiction" thread.

Good to know they are still keen.

But we digress.

Old 08-07-10, 08:40 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
My spidey senses have kept me out of that "Addiction" thread.

Good to know they are still keen.
You and me both brotha. My 41 breaking point came when I had to spend over a page defending my saddle/bar drop to the self proclaimed fit expert in the 41 (he called me a liar). The original thread question got so derailed that I just gave up and haven't really been back since...there have been several threads that I could have lent first hand experience too but I really don't see the point in engaging in a discussion that is 90% wrong and the 10% that isn't gets lost in the 'argument'.
Old 08-07-10, 08:44 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I frequent both forums. The 41 is for self-entertainment mostly these days, and to occasionally exercise my need to *****-slap the morans. But here, it's read-only out of respect.

IMO, there was more than one over there egging on the useless idiot: several that would be no surprise, and perhaps one that would. It appears to me that some of the cross-forum conflicts are old beefs carried over, and some are just self-indulgent versions of "lets you and him fight".

Regardless, I think the mods have done the right thing by reacting quickly. Back to lurking...

Cheers!
Old 08-07-10, 08:48 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
I frequent both forums. The 41 is for self-entertainment mostly these days, and to occasionally exercise my need to *****-slap the morans. But here, it's read-only out of respect.

IMO, there was more than one over there egging on the useless idiot: several that would be no surprise, and perhaps one that would. It appears to me that some of the cross-forum conflicts are old beefs carried over, and some are just self-indulgent versions of "lets you and him fight".

Regardless, I think the mods have done the right thing by reacting quickly. Back to lurking...

Cheers!
this is part of the problem.
Old 08-07-10, 08:55 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread should be renamed. Something along the lines of "The Non-Racer Questions Thread"
Old 08-07-10, 09:08 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
+1 edr

It goes both ways guys. It isn't like the complainers don't have a point. There is simply no need for any of it. Don't like something click out of it. If it's over a line then report it. But the ceaseless back and forth simply harshes on everyone's enjoyment of the forum.
Old 08-07-10, 09:16 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I race my bike, and post somewhat frequently in the 33. Because thats where my interest lies...
This issue has been building for a while...no surprise. Lets not pretend there isnt particular 33ers who like to argue, and/or brow-beat people in the 41 who may be less experienced or knowledgeable...I brought this up a few weeks back in the twitter thread, we all know how "varied" the discussions can be over there, but its come to be commonplace to come back to this side and complain about it. Pretty stupid really.
Old 08-07-10, 09:22 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
This thread should be renamed. Something along the lines of "The Non-Racer Questions Thread"

Problem solved. If this thread remains as civil and informative as it has been then it will be a great option for those who have legitimate questions and are interested in different opinions without the thread devolving into nonsense, this is something the 41 lacks which is why I rarely ask anything there.
Old 08-07-10, 09:56 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doggus
My ass hurts. We're going on five years. Specifically the inner thigh where the nerves and vessels start heading down the leg. Oh yeah, and when I go to the poor man aerobars position (or whatever it's called) I last about 1 minute before everything is completely numb. I know no one can help me with this...I just want to share.

Really, has anyone used the MTB saddle - Phenom, to train and race with, on the road? I switched to the Romin (from the Toupe) about 6 months ago. Its turning out to be another fail. Toupe is the closest to no pain I've ridden, till it starts to sag. I'm hoping the Phenom, which is similar shape, is a little more sturdy and will stay solid without the bend that drives me to the brink.

- signed, tired of buying saddles.

any opinons refugees?
I have a similar problem; have not been able to get comfy on the saddle this year. No matter how many tiny fwd/aft adjustments I make.

Then I realized, it's not just about the relationship to the pedal / BB. The hips and the entire power deliver chain are interconnected, so for example if I'm out of whack in my psoas, that affects my hammy tightness.

I need to get back into yoga classes.

Also, I'm a fan of the now discontinued E3 saddle. Anybody have any laying around they don't need?
Old 08-07-10, 10:19 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
I'm sorry if Tom's sticky was not clear. Apparently some of you are so busy doing your thing - staying above the fray - that you didn't notice (or got accustomed to) all of the sniping and pot shots that have been going on all summer between the 41 and the 33. Well that's a good thing . . . staying above the fray, that is. The sniping is not.

For examples, if you wish not to look in the 41 then just look in the 33's Twitter thread. Virtually every day one or more individuals has to speak up about how "stupid" the 41 is. Routinely. Every day. And it breeds resentment and anger and feuds . . . and it has to stop. In BOTH directions.

It doesn't matter who started it. It's gotten out of hand after simmering all summer and it has to stop. It's a bad image for the forums in general, it's harassing, it's trolling, and it's high maintenance. Enough with all this. It's unnecessary. If you just cannot ignore a "stupid" post without speaking out on it then you may find yourself in trouble. Infractions will be issued for violations. You can THINK derisively about anyone and anything you want, but the verbal bashing of other people and other groups will no longer be tolerated.

Sorry I had to be the heavy, just trying to answer some questions.

This thread, per se, is not the problem, although a name change wouldn't hurt. There's no need to close it.
Old 08-07-10, 10:37 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I thought the fire was out in the Addiction thread. Hopefully, I'm right. That thread in and of itself is fine. The silliness with one young poster is over, though nothing stays truly over.

A name change might be a fine idea. I know some of you have already brought it up and seconded it, so to speak. If the idea hs legs post here or PM me. Changing the title is a small matter.
Old 08-07-10, 10:46 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Why the hell are we talking about some stupid number feud? The more posts we have about it here the more this thread will become a magnet for the very thing it has avoided thus far!

Let's drop it and return to our regular scheduled programming.

Old 08-07-10, 10:59 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?
Old 08-07-10, 11:14 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?
Old 08-07-10, 11:15 AM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?
Most likely worn out. I have the same issue with mine. It seems to be very flexable now and it just bruises my sit bones.
Old 08-07-10, 11:17 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I'm sorry if Tom's sticky was not clear. Apparently some of you are so busy doing your thing - staying above the fray - that you didn't notice (or got accustomed to) all of the sniping and pot shots that have been going on all summer between the 41 and the 33. Well that's a good thing . . . staying above the fray, that is. The sniping is not.

For examples, if you wish not to look in the 41 then just look in the 33's Twitter thread. Virtually every day one or more individuals has to speak up about how "stupid" the 41 is. Routinely. Every day. And it breeds resentment and anger and feuds . . . and it has to stop. In BOTH directions.

It doesn't matter who started it. It's gotten out of hand after simmering all summer and it has to stop. It's a bad image for the forums in general, it's harassing, it's trolling, and it's high maintenance. Enough with all this. It's unnecessary. If you just cannot ignore a "stupid" post without speaking out on it then you may find yourself in trouble. Infractions will be issued for violations. You can THINK derisively about anyone and anything you want, but the verbal bashing of other people and other groups will no longer be tolerated.

Sorry I had to be the heavy, just trying to answer some questions.

This thread, per se, is not the problem, although a name change wouldn't hurt. There's no need to close it.
lighten up, francis.
Old 08-07-10, 11:17 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
dehydrated most likely. Are you just drinking water, or do you have some electrolytes?

When I have a headache after a ride I'll eat a pickle (I do this anyway...) and take an endurolyte pill and I'm good to go.
Old 08-07-10, 11:20 AM
Velo Gator

Originally Posted by Flatballer
dehydrated most likely. Are you just drinking water, or do you have some electrolytes?

When I have a headache after a ride I'll eat a pickle (I do this anyway...) and take an endurolyte pill and I'm good to go.
I eat a clif bar before, bottle of water with one scoop of G2 powder an hour, and a Gu packet. I had always thought it was the heat, but I got out early today and still have a brutal headache.
Old 08-07-10, 11:26 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ijen0311
possibly dehydration. drink more. add some endurolytes to your bottles too, the heat has been killer the last three months and you could be just suffering the effects. I use the hammer enduralytes, I break open one cap per bottle and mix it in.

edited to add: saw your follow-up, how long was your ride? even though it's been "cooler" in the mornings, the humidity has been so fecking high (at least here a whopping 70 miles west of you) that I'm going through ~2 bottles in 90 minutes right now.
Old 08-07-10, 11:31 AM
Velo Gator

Originally Posted by kensuf
possibly dehydration. drink more. add some endurolytes to your bottles too, the heat has been killer the last three months and you could be just suffering the effects. I use the hammer enduralytes, I break open one cap per bottle and mix it in.

edited to add: saw your follow-up, how long was your ride? even though it's been "cooler" in the mornings, the humidity has been so fecking high (at least here a whopping 70 miles west of you) that I'm going through ~2 bottles in 90 minutes right now.
I only rode 28 miles, at a steady pace. I was out for about 1:45 total, with stops and all. I don't add as much G2 powder as the tub suggests, but maybe I'll start mixing it with a higher concentration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.