Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-03-23, 07:51 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts

Budget in mind - 500+\-, found examples of both.

Aluminum for both choices -

Hunt 34mm deep at 1500 grams

vs

Bontrager 50mm deep aluminum/carbon mix at 1900 grams, floor model and 60% off.

Replacing heavy stock Emonda ALR 5 wheels. The lighter set with tubeless tires will take 1.5 pounds off the bike. But I am 195, so it’s a very small # of the total system weight.

Most of my riding is on flat terrain, will do some mountain riding.

Leaning towards the aero wheels… not sure what would be better overall.
Old 02-03-23, 09:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Since you ride the flats, the 50s make more sense unless you live in a windy area.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-03-23, 10:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Aero trumps weight…when it comes to speed.

Lightweight feels good, but is an illusion.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-04-23, 12:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Aero trumps weight…when it comes to speed.

Lightweight feels good, but is an illusion.
Unless you’re a climber. Aero doesn’t help at typical climbing speeds. Dropping weight helps.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 12:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,829 Times in 3,709 Posts
Once you are up to speed and rolling along, the 50mm wheel will benefit you more. However, the more you have to accelerate the wheel (stop lights, turns, climbs, etc.) aero benefits start to fade, and a lighter wheel’s benefits increase.

All that said, deeper wheels look sexier.
Old 02-04-23, 01:35 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I've gone both ways. Enve 7.8's on DT180's (ultimate aero at OEM weight) v/s 957 gram Stans Grail CB7's, & Berd spokes laced to Extralite hubs (ultimate weight at box section, non-aero OEM shape)...What changes more than anything from one extreme to another is the feel of the bike.

Yeah, some super heavy OEM package with garbage OEM rubber & thorn resistant tubes is gonna roll like dookie & no one is going to dispute that. But it's very much worth noting that it's the rubber more than the rims. Garbage tires are a drag. Literally.

I'm thoroughly convinced that rim weight or aero (in isolation) is hardly important from a strictly performance perspective for the speeds & distances average enthusiasts tend to ride. Not that either is a non-factor or is unimportant. It's just that neither is as important as the industry hype would lead you to believe.

For performance: Good high quality tires & the lowest possible rolling resistance will be the most significant factors no matter the rim or wheelset weight.
For feel: It's hard to beat a nice light weight wheelset to make the bike feel like you can make it dance.
Fortunatly you can have both with the 1500gram wheelset.

I'm not saying you wouldn't benefit from a deep section rims. On the contrary: Deep section aero rims are cool AF. I'm only cautioning you against the placebo effect & tempering expectations of miraculous performance based on one wheelset vs any other. They're cool. But if you are not laser mind focused on all TT, all the time, their biggest benefit may be appearances & group identity signaling moreso than clock time on a segment. Realistically speaking Barometric pressure & wind direction/speed, or how you hold the handlebars, or one kind of shoe cover vs another or clothing choice on a given day will have a far more significant effect on supposed aero benefits than rim shape/depth.

The lowest, low hanging fruit is good tires, of appropriate width at an appropriate pressure, run tubeless. You can then feel good about installing them on whatever wheels suit your budget.

I'd get the light wheels.

Last edited by base2; 02-04-23 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 02:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Unless you’re a climber. Aero doesn’t help at typical climbing speeds. Dropping weight helps.
Possibly, yes, if all you ride is uphill at speeds under 10mph.

But who does that?

Aero gains are so much more significant than weight savings that, even on an out-n-back route of a climb like that, the descent would be enough to advantage aero wheels.

There have been lots of studies and tests on this matter, from FLO to SwissSide to GCN, and aero trumps weight in all but the most extreme cases, most of which are only attainable by pro level cyclists. In other words, aero is even more advantageous to the typical, amateur cyclist than to pros ( in terms of time saved).

Here’s a link to the more recent SwissSide study; pay-walled, but Reader-view on Safari browser makes it accessible if you don’t want to do the email signup:

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...els/#_reg-wall
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-04-23, 04:08 AM
Jughed

Thanks everyone- few more things.

the aero wheels are clearance items, one set only. Just noticed the inner rim is only 17mm and the outer is 21. Would they require 23/25mm tires in order to avoid the mushroom effect?

The 34 hunts are wide rims, can easily take 28’s.

And yes on the tires. Currently on stock wheels that weight a ton, and riding 28mm armadillo winter tires. A pair of tubeless or latex tube Conti’s will be mounted to the new wheels.

Plus a lighter cassette and brake discs.

with that setup, the Hunt wheels will be 2.5#’s lighter than what I’m running now, Bontrager’s 1.9#s.

Both decent weight savings.

Tire width may be the deciding factor here.
Old 02-04-23, 08:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
If you buy a bike that has disc brakes, they come with rims that are lighter, stronger, and more aero.
Old 02-04-23, 08:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Thanks everyone- few more things.

the aero wheels are clearance items, one set only. Just noticed the inner rim is only 17mm and the outer is 21. Would they require 23/25mm tires in order to avoid the mushroom effect?

The 34 hunts are wide rims, can easily take 28’s.

And yes on the tires. Currently on stock wheels that weight a ton, and riding 28mm armadillo winter tires. A pair of tubeless or latex tube Conti’s will be mounted to the new wheels.

Plus a lighter cassette and brake discs.

with that setup, the Hunt wheels will be 2.5#’s lighter than what I’m running now, Bontrager’s 1.9#s.

Both decent weight savings.

Tire width may be the deciding factor here.
I was going to mention rim width. I would go with the wider rims to take full advantage of modern wider tyres. The 17 mm rims will work with 28 mm tyres, but the resultant mushroom profile is not ideal. For me that trumps everything else.
Old 02-04-23, 09:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Aero for solo riding.

Light weight for pack riding.

Sew-ups for nostagia trips.
Old 02-04-23, 09:58 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Both of those wheels are aero. Hunt actually gives aero data on theirs but there may not be any on the Bontrager so hard to compare. The difference could only be a few watts.
also depends on the speed that you ride, 15 mph will not make much difference, 30 mph much more difference. Personally I like wheels that are light and went with 30mm carbon wheels with no regrets but I am light and ride hills. At 195lbs wheels with 20/24 spokes maybe under built for you.
24/28 would be more appropriate.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 02-04-23, 10:43 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Budget in mind - 500+\-, found examples of both.Aluminum for both choices -Hunt 34mm deep at 1500 gramsvsBontrager 50mm deep aluminum/carbon mix at 1900 grams, floor model and 60% off.
Replacing heavy stock Emonda ALR 5 wheels. The lighter set with tubeless tires will take 1.5 pounds off the bike. But I am 195, so it’s a very small # of the total system weight.Most of my riding is on flat terrain, will do some mountain riding.Leaning towards the aero wheels… not sure what would be better overall.
Why are you getting new wheels at all? Are your current ones broken? And why do you need higher performance wheels? Pros who make a living at riding have their livelihood depending on having all t he marginal gains, but they mean zero for the average rider, or is there someone you ride with regularly you can not keep up with? . If you can not enjoy riding with out having expensive equipment that makes no practical difference, then that is the problem you have to solve, not how heavy your bike is.
Likes For beng1:
Old 02-04-23, 11:55 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I chose the new Zipp 303s wheels. Decent weight, with a good warranty. I like the 23mm internal width hookless rims, which allows for lower tire pressure. I also Have BTLOS wheels with 25mm internal width, hookless and require no rim tape. They're well made and considerably cheaper. I run even lower tire pressure with the BTLOS wheels.

https://btlos.com/ar-clincher-hook-less-carbon-wheels
Old 02-04-23, 12:02 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

But who does that?
I do, for the most part. I ride uphill under 10 mph quite a bit, and I don't care much about the stuff in between.

On a typical climbing ride, I'll spend 75% or more of the time going uphill. It makes sense for me to optimize the bike for going uphill.

Another point: For most people, the climbs are where they are tested to their limits, so making climbing easier is the most sensible thing to optimize first.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 12:14 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Why are you getting new wheels at all? Are your current ones broken? And why do you need higher performance wheels? Pros who make a living at riding have their livelihood depending on having all t he marginal gains, but they mean zero for the average rider, or is there someone you ride with regularly you can not keep up with? . If you can not enjoy riding with out having expensive equipment that makes no practical difference, then that is the problem you have to solve, not how heavy your bike is.
Seriously, what’s the problem with having the best, highest quality stuff you can afford? Personally, I get far more enjoyment having the highest quality parts on a top end frame than I would riding the cheapest crap. We get that you don’t care for high quality. Stop trying to tell others that cheap is the only way to go.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-04-23, 12:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts

But who does that?

Aero gains are so much more significant than weight savings that, even on an out-n-back route of a climb like that, the descent would be enough to advantage aero wheels.

There have been lots of studies and tests on this matter, from FLO to SwissSide to GCN, and aero trumps weight in all but the most extreme cases, most of which are only attainable by pro level cyclists. In other words, aero is even more advantageous to the typical, amateur cyclist than to pros ( in terms of time saved).

Here’s a link to the more recent SwissSide study; pay-walled, but Reader-view on Safari browser makes it accessible if you don’t want to do the email signup:

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...els/#_reg-wall
Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

In November I purchased Hunt 60MM carbon wheels with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires and they have made a noticeable difference in average speed and cruising ease. I was rather stunned at how well they performed. I was running 32MM carbons before which were good, but not this good. On climbs, I am not getting the PRs now like I am on the flats, but I also have not been doing much hill work due to slippery conditions on descents and debris on the shoulders where I usually ride when vehicles want to pass. But full disclosure, as in my “Cadence, who needs it?” Thread, I am also spinning at 90+ RPM on the flats and 100 on the climbs, where before I averaged 82 and 90 respectively. Don’t know if or how much that factors in.

In my experience, go for the deep section rims.

Old 02-04-23, 12:35 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Budget in mind - 500+\-, found examples of both.
Something to consider are the carbon wheels from Light Bicycle. They have "Quick Buy" wheelsets for rim brakes or disc brakes that start around $500.

There's a pretty long BF thread about Light Bicycle Wheels.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 12:46 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I do, for the most part. I ride uphill under 10 mph quite a bit, and I don't care much about the stuff in between.

On a typical climbing ride, I'll spend 75% or more of the time going uphill. It makes sense for me to optimize the bike for going uphill.

Another point: For most people, the climbs are where they are tested to their limits, so making climbing easier is the most sensible thing to optimize first.
If you climb and are a weight weenie, you absolutely should also be a Crr weenie. Even on pretty steep climbs, small improvements in Crr can trump fair-sized decreases in weight.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-04-23, 01:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Neither choice. I learned that it's a waste to compromise -- you should shop around to get wheels that are deep, light, and wide.

At my lightest riding weight of 61kg I bought 1.5kg Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels to replace my 2kg Giant OEM wheels. The improved PoE made more of a difference to ride quality than dropping the weight. Sure, the Hunts felt lighter, but if anything using them slowed down most of my rides because while everyone talks about how lighter wheels accelerate faster, they forget that lighter wheels also decelerate faster. When I upgraded to a 50mm/56mm Light Bicycle wheelset, I finally realized what a meaningful wheel upgrade felt like. Lighter than my Hunts so no penalty for climbing, wicked maintainable speed on flat terrain. I absolutely hate being on shallow rims on my current rain bike, where I don't even bother with the Hunts as the OEM DT Swiss wheels are only slightly heavier but much wider and stabler.
Likes For surak:
Old 02-04-23, 01:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by RChung
If you climb and are a weight weenie, you absolutely should also be a Crr weenie. Even on pretty steep climbs, small improvements in Crr can trump fair-sized decreases in weight.
Preach! Self-identified weight and rolling resistance (Crr) weenie here.

At the low speeds of climbing, rolling resistance is bigger than aero drag:

Source: wikiwand

My current setup: GP 5000 with Vittoria latex tubes, inflated per the SILCA inflation calculator.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 01:35 PM
Jughed

Originally Posted by beng1

So I guess you ride a Huffy? If not, why?
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-04-23, 02:08 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Yup. Even for steep gradients, small improvements in Crr can be "worth" several hundred grams in mass. That means if you regularly climb OLH or Tunitas Creek, you really want the right tires/tubes/inflation pressure. For not so steep gradients, better Crr is a slam dunk.

Likes For RChung:
Old 02-04-23, 02:28 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
34 is still deeper than a box section rim. Not by much but we’re not comparing squares to torpedoes here.

I’d get the lighter one then ride the heavy wheels you already have most of the time.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-04-23, 04:26 PM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Which wheel set has the widest internal width and is tubeless? That's the best option.
Likes For Spandex_fairy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.