Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Old 04-18-22, 12:21 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
This sounds like fun and my wife has decided she needs another bike but I wonder if you will allow us to call the pictured bike Classic or Vintage for the purpose of the contest?

Old 04-18-22, 12:32 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I haven't had much time to fool around with the Centurion, and I probably won't for a couple of weeks, but this morning I was looking at the front derailleur. It's a top-normal SunTour NSL model, and I thought I'd toss the bike in the work stand and see how it shifted. The first time I tried to shift into the small ring, the chain popped to the outside of the derailleur!

So, I looked closer. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this work. I might be able to get it to shift down, but shifting up is going to be a problem.

(Must be one of those new "shadow" derailleurs I've read about.)
Old 04-18-22, 12:54 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I haven't had much time to fool around with the Centurion, and I probably won't for a couple of weeks, but this morning I was looking at the front derailleur. It's a top-normal SunTour NSL model, and I thought I'd toss the bike in the work stand and see how it shifted. The first time I tried to shift into the small ring, the chain popped to the outside of the derailleur!

So, I looked closer. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this work. I might be able to get it to shift down, but shifting up is going to be a problem.

(Must be one of those new "shadow" derailleurs I've read about.)
That’s not gonna work….let me know if you need a loaner.

I should get in on this since I have my recently found free MTB that has cost me some time, soap and about 1/4 can of Tri-flow. $2 total? I just need some brake pads and seat time…
Old 04-18-22, 01:16 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
That’s not gonna work….let me know if you need a loaner.
I appreciate the offer, but I've got a bin full of front derailleurs, mostly various SunTour models, to choose from. I'll need to see where the budget goes to decide which one I can use. I have one or two that I think I could argue have negative value.
Old 04-18-22, 01:25 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
I appreciate the offer, but I've got a bin full of front derailleurs, mostly various SunTour models, to choose from. I'll need to see where the budget goes to decide which one I can use. I have one or two that I think I could argue have negative value.
If not, there's always scrap metal, pop rivets, and JB weld.

In other words, that'll buff right out, really.

This year's challenge has me semi-searching for an appropriate POS after my DNF last year.
I'm not finding the right combination of cheap and crappy. Though, there is a clapped out department store BSO at my old place that was 100% free.
Hmmm...
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-18-22, 02:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
I realize that my other potential entry is this Raleigh Sports, which I picked up over the winter for $60 (shown as found). It’s my size, and those original tires would likely hold out for another 100k—hopefully. I do have a set of replacement tires, but they might exceed the budget.

Old 04-18-22, 04:42 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts
Dang I missed out on this bike out in Coquitlam. I told the seller I will come by tomorrow morning but someone else came by and bought it today. Grrrr. It kind of looked odd to me. The fork doesn't look like it belonged to a hybrid but the tires look way too wide for a road bike, and of course the handlebars aren't drop bars... I would have thought a touring bike if it had drops. I should've just transferred payment now and picked up later. Oh well.

So I guess the only progress I've made today is I've wiped the grime off the wheel I got yesterday.

Old 04-18-22, 05:26 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I’m in…

In May last year I bought this Motobecane Grand Record for $80.

I had actually posted it in the “eBay / craigslist finds” thread (see original post #61303 on page 2453) when it was listed for sale at $150. I thought it was neat, and it was my size, but I was about to go to Europe for work for a few months and didn’t need another project sitting in the garage while I was overseas. A few days later the seller dropped the price the price to $80 and I couldn’t resist.

I bought some parts for it while I was away including a Stronglight 105 crank and Cinelli bar and stem but I will leave them off for now and rebuild it in accordance with the rules.

One thing I bought that I will use are the Kool Stop Weinmann X pads. To save cap space I am only going to replace the fronts. I paid $24 for the 4-pack, so $12 for a pair.

I have brake and shift cables bought in bulk at some point in the past. I’ll say they were $1 each because I don’t remember. I saved the original cable housings when I disassembled the bike and will try to reuse them.

The bike came with the original Motobecane saddle, but I don’t know where I put it, maybe the garbage. The Charge saddle in the pictures came from my parts bin and is too expensive for the challenge. I have a castoff from my ‘87 High Sierra (not pictured) worth $5 tops that I will use instead.

Complete bike $80
2 brake pads $12
4 cables $4
Saddle $5

Total cost so far = $101

Wheelset, Rigida 27” aluminum rims, 1 original Michelin Elan tire, 1 Spesh Armadillo.

Maillard 700 hubs. I don’t know yet if they are French thread.

SR Apex crankset with non-original 54t big ring.

First gen Cyclone GT derailleurs.

Suntour Power ratcheting DT shifters and Motobecane (Stronglight?) headset.

Original bars showing holes for brake lever mounting as found on many Motos of this era. The levers themselves have been retrofitted with normal clamps. Kool Stop Weinmann pads. Philippe stem, 25.4 clamp, marked 110 but measured differently than Cinelli and noticeably longer. Maybe too big for me to use long term.

SR bottom bracket with 35x1 cup and nutted spindle, yuck.

Vitus 172 fork blades. Steerer is Nervor gas pipe 🙄

Remnants of Vitus seat tube decal. Chain stays are stamped V. 172.
Old 04-18-22, 05:51 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
The color on this bike does look like it was probably very nice once. Also, by an odd coincidence, it looks fairly similar to the color of the bike I had when I was in high school (though that one wasn't nearly this nice).................... The vintage-centurion.com site won't let me share their picture here (despite it being copied from a scan on velobase), but here's a link to a page that has the catalog picture for this bike: Centurion Elite RS/Super
My Norton security gave a "privacy error" on your link, did a search & found this:
The 2nd illustration down has lugs just like yours, I think you have a "Super Elite", So even more of a bargain! Good find. Don edit: turns out its same link but won't let me use it most times, I'm just too old for this computer stuff but you get my point

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-18-22 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-18-22, 06:10 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I took my Super Course out for the first ride yesterday, 7.39 miles. When I got home I made a couple adjustments, it is a nice riding bike.

Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 04-18-22, 06:25 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
My Norton security gave a "privacy error" on your link, did a search & found this:
The 2nd illustration down has lugs just like yours, I think you have a "Super Elite", So even more of a bargain! Good find. Don edit: turns out its same link but won't let me use it most times, I'm just too old for this computer stuff but you get my point
The labeling of the images is confusing on their page. The second one down is the 1979 Elite. The page goes like this:

1979 Super Elite
(picture)
1979 Elite
(picture)
Super Elite
(picture)
etc.

The "maroon" one is what I have. I think my link is probably giving you a security error because your browser is trying to use "https" and their site gets rid of the 's'. I guess that's not secure.
Old 04-18-22, 06:27 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by C9H13N

SR Apex crankset with non-original 54t big ring.

First gen Cyclone GT derailleurs.

These components seem to turn up on a lot of mid-level bikes in the late 70's and early 80's. My Takara last year had them and my Centurion this year has them. I was really impressed with how they worked on the Takara, so I'm not surprised they were a common choice.
Old 04-18-22, 07:39 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Thanks Andy. Also just noticed they are labeled Elite or Super Elite on the DS chain stay, I like the look of your head lugs better.
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 04-19-22, 10:30 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
For Your Consideration...

Originally Posted by DWSURATT
I would love to join the challenge but I can never find larger framed bikes for sale except expensive ones. But I love looking at all the bikes posted.
I've no idea where you are in the Twilight Zone State of South Carolina, but here's a Klunker Candidate possibility?

No Photos in Ad, and I've no connection to the Seller.

"

10 speed vintage road bike +free bike - $75 (Charlotte)

Posted 2022-04-19 00:46

"10 speeds

Puch Pathfinder

The good:

+working gears and brakes
+large frame for tall rider

The bad:
-decals are not pretty
-needs some cleaning but can ride.
-tires have low tread but hold air

Have any questions?

bicycles, drop, tall

bicycle frame material: other/unknown

bicycle type: road
frame size: 64 cm 25 in
make / manufacturer: Puch
model name / number: Pathfinder
wheel size: 27 in"

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik...473046379.html
Old 04-19-22, 10:39 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by DWSURATT
I would love to join the challenge but I can never find larger framed bikes for sale except expensive ones. But I love looking at all the bikes posted.
How far are you from Greenwood? I have a 23-in 1986 Univega Arrowpace that would go really cheap - as in, since I would swap out the saddle, it would be FREE.

Last edited by rustystrings61; 04-19-22 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added photo
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 04-19-22, 08:44 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Well, I passed on crusty and instead came home with a (you can't make this stuff up), a 1976-ish Motorbacon Grand Touring Fixed gear conversion. I chatted with the fellow I got it from and his story of how this came to be involved a rush to not be late for class at UVA one day and totally blowing a shift, an exploding drivetrain and a college student's tight budget. It's a tad tall for me at 23", and despite wanting to put it back to a worthy tourer (which I may do anyway), I lack a double crankset that does not involve heavy steel and cotter pins. But Hey! it was 50 bucks and it came with a perfectly functional U-lock and mount. It won't make budget, as the only free 27" wheels I have are made with some neat steel Schothorst rims that were on the Hetchins that I got about a dozen years back. Not that they're particularly valuable, but rationalizing the budget for this contest would make my head hurt a bit more than I care to consider.

What I think I'm going to do instead is make a proper frankenbike from the 50s(?) Robin Hood that I picked up at an Antique Mall in Florence, KY four years ago for $76.50.

The biggest challenge will be wheels. Fortunately, Kurt was kind enough to send me remnants he had come across, and I have enough left from that to make a 3-speed coaster
brake rear, and if I can sweet talk the fork into spreading a bit, can also rebuild a front with a dyno-hub. Otherwise, it's going to inherit the front off a little purple Raleigh Sports that
was made free for purposes of this contest for having been in a twofer deal five years back for $55.00. I slapped $30.00 of tires and tubes on the other bike (another fixie) and was able to sell it for $90.00
in one of my very few positive flips ever.

I have a couple things in mind to further dress up the Robin Hood, so it should be fun.

I'm also going to have fun making a respectable Touring rig out of today's catch once I work out a couple details.

So now that I have worked things out here, it's off to bed. I have a wheel to build tomorrow.
Old 04-19-22, 09:27 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Poor pictures at the time of purchase (and they were a wee bit off with the date estimation): Got a 10% discount for paying cash.

Here's most of what Kurt sent me a couple years back for the price of shipping. A substantial amount has already filtered about the Roanoke area.

Last edited by USAZorro; 04-20-22 at 03:32 PM. Reason: adding a picture
Old 04-20-22, 12:46 AM
Andy_K 

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Whenever I'm stripping down a bike, I keep a cardboard box full of everything I take off. For clunkers, it usually looks something like this:

But tonight I finished stripping down my Centurion Elite, and the box looks like this. Keep in mind, this is before I've cleaned any of it.

(Bonus points for anyone who knows what was originally in that box.)

Not a bad start. So why does a pretty decent mid-level bike sit on Craigslist for three weeks with an asking price under $100? This. This is why.

But, as they say, that'll buff right out.

One cool thing though, when I pulled the fork I got definitive evidence of the original frame color, confirming the identification as a 1979 Centurion Elite.

The fork is actually in relatively good shape, thus demonstrating that chrome does have some rust deterring capability.

Stripped down like this the frame weighs about 5.5 pounds, plus another 1.8 for the fork. Not light, but it's two pounds lighter than my Nishiki clunker from the 2020 Challenge.
Old 04-20-22, 04:46 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts

(Bonus points for anyone who knows what was originally in that box.)
Brooks saddle, I’d guess, though I’m not sure of the model #.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-20-22, 08:43 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Brooks saddle, I’d guess, though I’m not sure of the model #.
Five points for @nlerner.
Old 04-20-22, 09:41 AM
Andy_K 

While I slept, CitriStrip was hard at work.

Old 04-20-22, 11:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Five points for @nlerner.
Damn, I had that one. I need to set my alarm for 3am to check Bike Forums to account for Neal's time difference advantage.

Points are hard to come by nowadays with all those supply chain issues.
Old 04-20-22, 06:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Well got some work done on the Stone Grinder turns out most of the drive train and brake levers were a no go got it pieced together with some additional parts and rolling for a short ride. So i'm in $50 for the start pile and about $25 additional junk parts bars stem brake levers and swag crank arms and negative value freewheel place holder. So about 5 miles in on the challenge and have $30 or so budget to get things sorted out and another 95 miles to go.

It looks like to get this one running good and complete the challenge in budget I may have to go with ugh single grip shifter for a strait 7speed rear.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-20-22 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 07:39 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Question for Glorious Fearless Leader Narhay:

Is the Raleigh Eclipse build that I failed to complete last year a candidate to enter for this year?

haven't touched it since I gave up on it.

Last edited by RandolphCarter; 04-20-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 08:03 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
Do you do anything special to get it working so well?

While I slept, CitriStrip was hard at work.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.