Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crashing techniques and styles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crashing techniques and styles

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 12:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've been riding bikes for about 55 years, and riding seriously (and sometimes not so seriously ) for about twenty years, and have crashed several times. None of my crashes have been caused by the things you guys are arguing about. And of my friends who've crashed, I can't recall any incidents in which faster braking or swerving would've made a difference.
Now tell us about all the incidents in which fast braking avoided a crash.

Because that would be relevant.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-19-22, 12:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I've been riding bikes for about 55 years, and riding seriously (and sometimes not so seriously ) for about twenty years, and have crashed several times. None of my crashes have been caused by the things you guys are arguing about. And of my friends who've crashed, I can't recall any incidents in which faster braking or swerving would've made a difference.

By all means, though, keep arguing about it.
I can think of several instances in which swerving prevented me from getting hit by cars that suddenly swerved or turned directly in front of me. I'm usually around them before I figured out what I did.
Old 07-19-22, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
How about your friends who DIDN'T crash? Aren't they more relevant to this discussion?
Nobody's saying proper emergency braking technique would prevent all crashes. But it probably prevents some of them.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Now tell us about all the incidents in which fast braking avoided a crash.
Because that would be relevant.

It's Sherlock Holmes' dog that didn't bark!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-19-22, 12:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
How about your friends who DIDN'T crash? Aren't they more relevant to this discussion?

Nobody's saying proper emergency braking technique would prevent all crashes. But it probably prevents some of them.
That's a fair point. Even so, I can't recall any instances in which I needed to really lay on the brakes in order to avoid a crash -- nor can I recall any friends being in that circumstance. While I do some urban commuting, I have learned how to avoid giving motorists opportunities to cut me off and force me into emergency braking.

I won't pretend that my experience (n=1) is universal, the way some posters believe that. But I have had the basics down cold for some time now, and so my crashes have been weird, one-off events: an unseen pothole, turning too sharply on gravel, getting blown sideways (welcome to the Great Plains!)...Heck, I've even forgotten to unclip in time as recently as a couple years ago. But none of those crashes involved crashing INTO something, and I can't recall any "near misses" that involved potentially crashing into something. (Damn you all. Now I'll probably crash into something when riding home from the taproom this Friday.)
Old 07-19-22, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's a fair point....
Sorry, nothing to say in response to the post, just that your sig line keeps cracking me up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-19-22, 12:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
That's a fair point. Even so, I can't recall any instances in which I needed to really lay on the brakes in order to avoid a crash -- nor can I recall any friends being in that circumstance. While I do some urban commuting, I have learned how to avoid giving motorists opportunities to cut me off and force me into emergency braking.
If you can brake at/near the limit, you'll also be able to brake hard (if not actually "really laying on the brakes") confidently.

Most novice cyclists are reluctant to use the front brake as much as they should be. That's where most cyclists start out. Should they just learn to do better on their own?
Old 07-19-22, 12:58 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
A valuable skill, which is why an emergency turn is also something taught in a bike skills class.

For good reason, as is not intuitive. When confronted with an oncoming hazard, an unskilled cyclist will steer away from the hazard.

This is the opposite of what should be done, which is to steer sharply towards the hazard.
would you mind expanding on what you said, or linking an article or video? I like to think I know how to swerve, but understanding the mechanics might be useful.
Old 07-19-22, 01:01 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, nothing to say in response to the post, just that your sig line keeps cracking me up.
Me too!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-19-22, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
would you mind expanding on what you said, or linking an article or video?

Google countersteering bicycle and you'll find a whole bunch of sources claiming that it's absolutely necessary and an equal number claiming it's total hogwash.

This is one of those perennial arguments on BF.
Old 07-19-22, 01:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

would you mind expanding on what you said, or linking an article or video? I like to think I know how to swerve, but understanding the mechanics might be useful.
Here’s a video of riders practicing the "quick turn maneuver":

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-19-22 at 05:46 PM. Reason: formatting
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-19-22, 01:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts

I won't pretend that my experience (n=1) is universal, the way some posters believe that. But I have had the basics down cold for some time now, and so my crashes have been weird, one-off events: an unseen pothole, turning too sharply on gravel, getting blown sideways (welcome to the Great Plains!)...Heck, I've even forgotten to unclip in time as recently as a couple years ago. But none of those crashes involved crashing INTO something, and I can't recall any "near misses" that involved potentially crashing into something. (Damn you all. Now I'll probably crash into something when riding home from the taproom this Friday.)
That one is definitely a worry here at times. I've been able to determine which of my bikes is most and least susceptible to crosswinds and I avoid the former on windy days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-19-22, 01:25 PM
Koyote

That one is definitely a worry here at times. I've been able to determine which of my bikes is most and least susceptible to crosswinds and I avoid the former on windy days.
I had foolishly taken both hands off the bar in order to extract something from a jersey pocket -- so it only took one big crosswind gust to pitch me askew, then it was ass-over-teacups right in the middle of the road. Learned my lesson.
Old 07-19-22, 01:29 PM
LarrySellerz

I stand up without hands on the bars to test the stability of bikes
Old 07-19-22, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Here’s a video of riders practicing the “quick turn”.
that's nice. I'd like to see a version where someone is firing dodgeballs at them
Old 07-19-22, 01:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Here’s a video of riders practicing the “quick turn”.
None of those turns were quick, they were deliberately trying to counter steer which looked awkward and it wasn't done at speed so like why even bother trying to show it? Also the riders were wearing facemasks, its a clown fiesta all around. Telling someone to "steer right" to "turn left" is silly, people dont think about it when they turn. That being said a few fixed gear riders ive seen corner much better than me I wonder whats up with that.

Ive noticed countersteering when riding on the very far right of the road and being unable to drift left without falling off of the road. Took a little bit for me to figure out what was going on it was a weird feeling. Countersteering is a motorcycling thing, cyclists do it naturally. Our bikes do it naturally for us tbh.
Old 07-19-22, 01:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Ride down Polhemus from Ralston to De Anza on a really windy day without braking. You'll find the crosswind-susceptible bikes. Trust me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-19-22, 01:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I'm guessing the force of the impact and the grade of the resulting concussion tells you how stable the bike is ...
Old 07-19-22, 01:51 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm guessing the force of the impact and the grade of the resulting concussion tells you how stable the bike is ...
Youd be surprised at how good of a test it is for stability, its like riding without hands but harder. An unstable bike will be very angry while a perfect bike is easy. I saw a kid doing it and thought it was super cool and then realized that I understand how my bikes behave better from doing it
Old 07-19-22, 05:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

None of those turns were quick, they were deliberately trying to counter steer which looked awkward and it wasn't done at speed so like why even bother trying to show it? Also the riders were wearing facemasks, its a clown fiesta all around. Telling someone to "steer right" to "turn left" is silly, people dont think about it when they turn.
Once again, this is an emergency turn that needs to be learned. Experienced cyclists do it instinctively. Novice cyclists turn the wrong way when they are startled. That is why the emergency (or "quick") turn is part of a bike skills course.

There is only one way to turn quickly, which is to steer away from the direction you want to go.

Old 07-20-22, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
55 years of bicycling, and I've never managed to skid the rear wheel except with coaster brakes (we did that for fun when I was a kid)
It is extremely difficult to lock the rear wheel sufficiently to produce a skid with rim brakes. Somebody actually managing to do it with discs?
What you talkin’ about, Willis! It’s easy to skid a rear wheel on a single bicycle with any brake. If you want a long skid, just move your weight forward and slide away. It wears tires out rather quickly, however. And, since I’m paying for the tires now and skidding doesn’t impress girls as much as we used to think it did, I don’t do it a lot.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-20-22 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-20-22, 08:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
What you talkin’ about, Willis! It’s easy to skid a rear wheel on a single bicycle with any brake. If you want a long skid, just move your weight forward and slide away. It wears tires out rather quickly, however. And, since I’m paying for the tires now and skidding doesn’t impress girls as much as we used to think it did, I don’t do it a lot.

I already addressed this (post 180)--I meant to say "inadvertently" and my word choice was bad.
I honestly don't know what it would take for me to produce a significant skid with rim brakes as I've never actually tried to do it because I'm a grownup. The allure of the skid mark faded pretty much at the same time I graduated from coaster brakes.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-20-22 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 04:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I already addressed this (post 180)--I meant to say "inadvertently" and my word choice was bad.
I honestly don't know what it would take for me to produce a significant skid with rim brakes as I've never actually tried to do it because I'm a grownup. The allure of the skid mark faded pretty much at the same time I graduated from coaster brakes.
Even inadvertently, I’ve skidded with rim brakes while mountain biking…where skidding is just part of the experience…and on road bikes. That includes both cantilever and linear brakes on mountain bikes as well as side pull (single and dual pivot) as well as cantilevers on road bikes. My go fast road bike is somewhat more prone to skidding because of the much shorter wheelbase than any of my other bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!