Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference in DT Swiss hubs

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Difference in DT Swiss hubs

Old 02-01-23, 10:09 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
No idea. What’s the return policy? I bought in person so the mechanic showed me. You can check yourself and return if possible.
Old 02-02-23, 10:02 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I could not find 370 on DT Swiss's site under Hubs, so I messaged them. Here is the deal.
1. You can't buy 370's. You will find them ONLY in DT Swiss wheels.
2. In 2022 they started using "Ratchet LN" in them.
3. A 370 with Ratchet LN will clearly say Ratchet LN on it. But only on the freehub? That seems stupid, you won't see it after the cassette goes on. Pics here: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wh...-ln-technology
4. As of today 2/1/23, they've only used the Ratchet LN 370 in Mtn bike wheels. So any new road wheels you find out there with 370's, are 3-pawl.
5. Old 370's can be upgraded with a kit . The current kit will clearly say Ratchet LN. Pics at the link above. Others have posted links.
6. What about an old 370 that was upgraded with an older kit? Was there one? I don't know.

Some people say the 370 with 3-pawl is a good hub. See for example
But they don't build it that way any more, so what does that tell you?
It's also supposed to be very very loud.
Still, $269 for DT Swiss wheels (P1800/370 with 3-pawl) seems like a good deal.
They also have the next level up (PR1600/350 with ratchet) for $378.

However, the videos I've found all suggest regular maintenance. Clean and grease the ratchets, etc. I had Mavic's a few years ago with the stupid freehub bushing that would scream like a little girl if you didn't clean and lube it every 2K miles. I said "never again". I do road riding in good weather, I don't think I should have to maintain my hubs. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it?

Last edited by LarryMelman; 02-02-23 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-03-23, 12:55 PM
ratell

This isn't accurate. They are also available from other wheel manufacturers. Roval uses the 370 clearly marked as Rachet LN
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=30021-4500

The general idea is the same. The 370 is an OEM hub not for retail.
Old 02-03-23, 05:02 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell

This isn't accurate. They are also available from other wheel manufacturers. Roval uses the 370 clearly marked as Rachet LN
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=30021-4500

The general idea is the same. The 370 is an OEM hub not for retail.
Fair enough.
Here is exactly what the DT Swiss rep said.
The 370 hub only comes on complete wheels which is why it is not listed on its own on our site. Currently 370 LN hubs come with the LN ratchet system out of the box. These new 370 LN hubs are available on our current "1900" series mountain wheels. 370 LN hubs will have "Ratchet LN" clearly printed on the freehub body as shown here: (web site pic of M1900 wheel with Ratchet LN freehub)

A previous 370 3-pawl hub can be converted. Again, once the Ratchet LN system is installed, “Ratchet LN” will clearly be printed on the new freehub body.
Old 02-03-23, 05:40 PM
ratell

My bike came with a 3 pawl hub where the pawls got stuck in the factory grease making the bike unuseable. The bike shop took out all the grease and put in freehub oil which was definitely very loud. In the first year I broke one of the pawls. That was enough for me. I think it's worth paying for a more reliable system. That said lots of people are happily riding around on 3 pawl hubs, so there's not really an easy answer.
Old 02-04-23, 01:36 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
I have DT 240hubs on two of my mountain bikes laced to mavic XM 819 Rims with DT swiss spokes,very reliable and solidstuff. The guy in the video criticizes Mavic heavily but Mavic has been known for the quality of its hubs back in thelate 80's till early 00's. I still have my 1997 Mavic Cosmic Expert wheels which are working flawlessly.