Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 08:56 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Virtus
I have enough posts to add pics now. Really enjoying the FX.

LOVE the red!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 02-20-22, 08:56 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
haha so all that and you are dumping the FastRoad??!? I'm still hating on the FX 6 my kid forced me to buy for her. The entire design is made for Bontrager accessories and really, no kick stand?!? I'm half considering writing a full thread on installing the rack and fenders, and even a CF kickstand.
Old 02-20-22, 08:57 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonchat

Still has original grease on it
Not really a "Tubes" fan but She's a Beauty!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 02-20-22, 09:05 AM
Masonchat

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
haha so all that and you are dumping the FastRoad??!?
Now your putting words in my mouth sardines 🤣 , I'm after ending up with enough Tyres to last 20 years 😆,

I haven't a clue what to do is the truth, I might use trek for those more off the main road cycles and wet conditions as the fastroad really is a pain in the backside dirt wise in wet

The jury's still out , I'm waiting for 32mm gp5000 how I get on with them will tell a lot.

I'd probably get the same if I sold fastroad now or in a year I'd magine .
Old 02-20-22, 09:48 AM
Masonchat

haha so all that and you are dumping the FastRoad??!? I'm still hating on the FX 6 my kid forced me to buy for her. The entire design is made for Bontrager accessories and really, no kick stand?!? I'm half considering writing a full thread on installing the rack and fenders, and even a CF kickstand.
My spidey senses are detecting that you may not be treks biggest fan 😆, I would guess the reasoning is if someone plays for a light bike it almost feels wrong to add weight on it, but people should certainly have the option.

I'm wondering what the hunts would be like on the trek 😄
Old 02-20-22, 11:56 AM
Sardines

My spidey senses are detecting that you may not be treks biggest fan 😆, I would guess the reasoning is if someone plays for a light bike it almost feels wrong to add weight on it, but people should certainly have the option.

I'm wondering what the hunts would be like on the trek 😄
You like what you like. But I'm not brand centric, just very critical of some things. And yes, those problems are what my kid has made "daddy" have to deal with. I threw out the Isozone handlebar, put in an old CF flatbar that's 580mm, threw out those heavy low end wheels, and changed to 1.7kg old wheels I had lying around, put on Marathon Supreme OneStar 32c f and 35c r, my personal stash since they don't seem to make them anymore! I went tubeless in the rear with just 30ml of Panaracer sealant. And now that bike rides like a magic carpet (my kid's words, not mine). That tire setup is also on my daily rider. The nightmare issues were installing a rack for her panniers and fitting fenders that have the clearance for the 35c rears.

I do think the GP5000 is a mistake for deeper mud. It's essentially a slick road race tire. I use them on my Dogma. You will need something with good nibs or treads to handle the mud. The Trek FX comes with hybrid tires, which are wider and treaded, which is why it handles better. As I mentioned in the other thread, if you wander into wet dirt often, the Gravel Kings are a great steal. I'll be trying out the Schwalbe G1s soon, as I'm running out of Marathon Supreme TLEs, so trying to find a replacement has been VERY difficult.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-20-22, 01:49 PM
Masonchat

You like what you like. But I'm not brand centric, just very critical of some things. And yes, those problems are what my kid has made "daddy" have to deal with. I threw out the Isozone handlebar, put in an old CF flatbar that's 580mm, threw out those heavy low end wheels, and changed to 1.7kg old wheels I had lying around, put on Marathon Supreme OneStar 32c f and 35c r, my personal stash since they don't seem to make them anymore! I went tubeless in the rear with just 30ml of Panaracer sealant. And now that bike rides like a magic carpet (my kid's words, not mine). That tire setup is also on my daily rider. The nightmare issues were installing a rack for her panniers and fitting fenders that have the clearance for the 35c rears.

I do think the GP5000 is a mistake for deeper mud. It's essentially a slick road race tire. I use them on my Dogma. You will need something with good nibs or treads to handle the mud. The Trek FX comes with hybrid tires, which are wider and treaded, which is why it handles better. As I mentioned in the other thread, if you wander into wet dirt often, the Gravel Kings are a great steal. I'll be trying out the Schwalbe G1s soon, as I'm running out of Marathon Supreme TLEs, so trying to find a replacement has been VERY difficult.
I
I use to drool at the FX s6 ,
Before I stumbled upon the FX 2 I just got, I had decided the 28mm weren't for me , I wouldn't encounter mud too often but would frequently be on secondary roads and found out fast it's not an option with those tyres.

So I then got a pair of Bontrager 32 mm hard case ultimate , but they are over 600g each , did allow me on those secondary roads but feel sluggish after gp5000

So I thought I'll run too sets, put hard case on giant stock wheels for harder routes and wet days , get another cassette and brake rotors .
And get 32mm gp5000 for hunt wheels for the longer cycles on main roads.

Then I happened across the FX 2 and couldn't resist. 🥴
Now I'm like 🤯😆
Sold the 28s for little over half , will return cassette and rotors.

But not sure what to do with 32 gp5000 , don't know whether to take the risk with them or return ,

Last edited by Masonchat; 02-20-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-20-22, 08:55 PM
Sardines

Since I've been spending a lot of your money through this forum, I would think save the GP5000TLR for longer rides, and dump the Bontragers. The Gravel King series are just better, with decent durability, good protection and excellent lightweight, a perfect match for the Hunts. If anything, go tubeless and save more weight and gain better ride comfort.
And speaking of the FX, it's the little things I find lazy in the design, unlike the Domane etc, or even your FastRoad. The "internal cabling" is one sided, so there's a pull on the front, which makes parking it a little more difficult. The front brake cable isn't internal.Had I known all the issues I'd face upgrading the FX6, I'd have overruled my kid and bought the Cube or Canyon. The "lower end models" are actually better since they come with practicalities.

I
I use to drool at the FX s6 ,
Before I stumbled upon the FX 2 I just got, I had decided the 28mm weren't for me , I wouldn't encounter mud too often but would frequently be on secondary roads and found out fast it's not an option with those tyres.

So I then got a pair of Bontrager 32 mm hard case ultimate , but they are over 600g each , did allow me on those secondary roads but feel sluggish after gp5000

So I thought I'll run too sets, put hard case on giant stock wheels for harder routes and wet days , get another cassette and brake rotors .
And get 32mm gp5000 for hunt wheels for the longer cycles on main roads.

Then I happened across the FX 2 and couldn't resist. 🥴
Now I'm like 🤯😆
Sold the 28s for little over half , will return cassette and rotors.

But not sure what to do with 32 gp5000 , don't know whether to take the risk with them or return ,
Old 02-21-22, 04:18 AM
Masonchat

Since I've been spending a lot of your money through this forum, I would think save the GP5000TLR for longer rides, and dump the Bontragers. The Gravel King series are just better, with decent durability, good protection and excellent lightweight, a perfect match for the Hunts. If anything, go tubeless and save more weight and gain better ride comfort.
And speaking of the FX, it's the little things I find lazy in the design, unlike the Domane etc, or even your FastRoad. The "internal cabling" is one sided, so there's a pull on the front, which makes parking it a little more difficult. The front brake cable isn't internal.Had I known all the issues I'd face upgrading the FX6, I'd have overruled my kid and bought the Cube or Canyon. The "lower end models" are actually better since they come with practicalities.
If you want a tire that you can truly rely on for 000's of puncture free rides miles , never seems to wear out , roll's well but not road tyre obviously , the Bontrager H2 hardcase ultimate is it , haven't had a flat in 5 years ( now that may a years cycling for many)
But when you tried GP and go back , they are so heavy.

Last night I went looking for reviews on gp5000 and gravel king's,
And seems to be far too many complaints on side wall blowouts and lack of durability on both , especially the GP 5000
I'm torn now, pardon the pun 😄
Old 02-21-22, 07:17 AM
Sardines

Well the idea is compromising. I love the Marathon Supremes. which were my touring/commute tires since 2007 and over 160k miles. Never had a flat, even though I ride on highways, city roads and paths. Each iteration changed a little and it hit zenith with the OneStar compound, which made it softer and less durable, but faster and more comfortable. They also seated easier than previous generations in tubeless setups. Then the latest was the Addix Tour compound, which is soft also but not as grippy, and longer lasting. I immediately went out and bought as many OneStars as I could.
Same for the GK Slick+ and SK+, they are good, fast and value driven gravel tires. And my wife and kids love the alternate colors it brings. The Pirelli Cinturato G is nice and grippy in all conditions but gets destroyed so easily in the dry, that it's not worth it. Maybe for the wetlands of Ireland, it may do better.
Likes For Sardines:
Old 02-21-22, 07:40 AM
Masonchat

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the Gk's the GP's were great on great roads , but I've realised I spend more time on secondary roads , and really 70 - 100 km is more than enough for me I think , so you have tipped the scales yet again sardines 🤣
Old 02-21-22, 02:40 PM
Sardines

I would also check out the Pirelli CInturato and the Conti Terra Speed, especially for muddier roads.
Old 02-21-22, 03:00 PM
Masonchat

I would also check out the Pirelli CInturato and the Conti Terra Speed, especially for muddier roads.
I've ordered the gravel king's and if I order another pair of tyres my partner has permission to have me committed 😆
Old 02-21-22, 03:06 PM
Virtus

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
What is the general opinion of the Bontrager H2 Comps that come as stock on the FX?
Old 02-21-22, 03:25 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by Virtus
What is the general opinion of the Bontrager H2 Comps that come as stock on the FX?
I found them fine , I'd say little lighter and maybe little less puncture protection than H2 hardcase ultimate . but never got a flat on them ,
For me very sold all rounder fine for 60km ish trips , but as you may have gathered at moment I'm on a quest trying to find a lighter faster tyre , with same comfort and durability and I may just fail .
depends very much on priorities Ive found
Old 02-22-22, 01:14 AM
Sardines

The FX6 came with R2 Hard case and I had them installed tubeless. It rode pretty well, not grippy and the "splash test" showed the need for a pretty wide fender. They are cheap though so can't expect too much. The Affinity TLR wheel is just a clunker and heavy. The rim tape did spring a leak early, so I sent it back to the LBS to get it replaced. I just put an old pair of Paradigm Comps on with the Marathon Supremes, which are faster and more comfortable. Can't compare puncture resistance for now but 67 vs 60 TPI of the R2 on paper makes it better. Most significantly, the Marathon Supremes OneStar are faster and more comfortable, so they bring out the CF nature of the FX6 a lot better. My kid now loves the FX6 with the Supremes, but they are about 20% more money and the OneStar is almost extinct.
Old 02-22-22, 07:23 AM
Masonchat

The FX6 came with R2 Hard case and I had them installed tubeless. It rode pretty well, not grippy and the "splash test" showed the need for a pretty wide fender. They are cheap though so can't expect too much. The Affinity TLR wheel is just a clunker and heavy. The rim tape did spring a leak early, so I sent it back to the LBS to get it replaced. I just put an old pair of Paradigm Comps on with the Marathon Supremes, which are faster and more comfortable. Can't compare puncture resistance for now but 67 vs 60 TPI of the R2 on paper makes it better. Most significantly, the Marathon Supremes OneStar are faster and more comfortable, so they bring out the CF nature of the FX6 a lot better. My kid now loves the FX6 with the Supremes, but they are about 20% more money and the OneStar is almost extinct.
Hi sardines at the risk of being committed 🤣, would you recommend the scheable marathon racer over the gravel king's ? I've just been looking them up ( had looked when U first mentioned but was looking for one star)

On a side note this is exact same ride , first one with 28mm gp5000 second with Bontrager 32mm hardcase ultimate
Big difference alright in terms of speed, may have been 10km/hr less wind at my back on Bontrager also
Old 02-22-22, 09:00 AM
Sardines

I use the Marathon Supreme One Star TLE, which I assume has now been superceded by the Marathon Supreme Addix Tour, and no longer tubeless compatible. The Marathon Racer, as far as I remember, is a wired tire that I never considered because I only use folding tires. If you have wet weather alot, consider the Continental Terra Speed, GK SK+ or Cinturatos, Those I've tried and are nice but not something I'd use regularly. GK Slick and Supremes are what I use regularly. When I do touring in places like Ladahk etc, where the roads can be just dirt, then I use the Almotion in 38c. Sorry.
Old 02-22-22, 09:11 AM
Masonchat

I use the Marathon Supreme One Star TLE, which I assume has now been superceded by the Marathon Supreme Addix Tour, and no longer tubeless compatible. The Marathon Racer, as far as I remember, is a wired tire that I never considered because I only use folding tires. If you have wet weather alot, consider the Continental Terra Speed, GK SK+ or Cinturatos, Those I've tried and are nice but not something I'd use regularly. GK Slick and Supremes are what I use regularly. When I do touring in places like Ladahk etc, where the roads can be just dirt, then I use the Almotion in 38c. Sorry.
No it's great thanks you are an well of cycling knowledge,
The scheable racer seem to have great reviews, but I think I'll stick with the Gk slick I've ordered
Old 02-22-22, 09:28 AM
Sardines

No it's great thanks you are an well of cycling knowledge,
The scheable racer seem to have great reviews, but I think I'll stick with the Gk slick I've ordered
The slick may be too "slick" for your muddy situations.
Old 02-22-22, 09:44 AM
Masonchat

The slick may be too "slick" for your muddy situations.
I'll either be running 2 bikes or 2 sets of wheels
Old 02-22-22, 10:42 AM
Sardines

I'll either be running 2 bikes or 2 sets of wheels
THAT... you can't blame me for! haha
Old 02-22-22, 11:07 AM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by sardines
that... You can't blame me for! Haha
🤣🤣
Old 04-08-22, 08:39 AM
Causual_Cyclist

Bikes: -Trek FX 7.1 2011, heavily upgraded and modified for comfort and durability.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, newish user here! Testing image perms. This is my current set up for my Trek FX 7.1 2011. Upgraded stock bars for a knockoff of the Jungle Runner bars from Crust, added front rack, fenders and kickstand for commuting. Glorious sunset, taken a few weeks ago.

This is the latest addition, a sweet little messager bag. Spacious and sturdy, able to hold my laptop, bottle and a few books and files.
Likes For Causual_Cyclist:
Old 04-08-22, 12:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Can you show us some more pictures of your handlebar setup? It looks like an interesting handlebar. https://crustbikes.com/products/jungle-runner-bar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.