Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 07:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

I think it's starting to get crowded by this alien plant I can never remember the name of:

I think it has bells in the name.
Old 03-31-23, 08:27 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Wut
Forecast indicating a large tornado outbreak.

Unfortunately it is being verified in a bad way. Many large & violent tornados creating mass casualty events
Old 03-31-23, 08:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
today felt very springlike. after a moderately hard 50 yesterday, today i decided to do something new : an intentionally easy ride. i targeted an average of 150w instead of the usual 200-225w. it's amazing how much different 25% less is - i was literally not breathing hard at any point. heart rate under 100 99% of the time, average 88bmp. took a real camera, stopped many times to take pictures. it was actually super fun, i'm going to make a point of making every fourth or fifth ride like this from now on.

spring has sprung!!
My ride was a lot less fun. I just wanted to do a nice little 22 mile ride, ahead of the C&V ride tomorrow. I parked at Edgewood and Canada and headed toward Woodside.

About 2.5 miles in, I was going through a gravelly patch on the shoulder of Canada Rd, when I noticed the rear felt funny - not the bounciness of a low tire. Instead, the roughness of a flat tire. I didn't remember hitting anything. I pulled over to the side, and found a tree with a handy branch, hung the bike over it, and went to work.

I ran my hand all over the outside of the tire and found no cuts, no glass, nothing. I pulled the wheel and got the bead off the rim on one side, pulled out the tube and inspected the inside of the tire. I found nothing.

So I unzipped the saddle bag. First thing I discover is that I had inadvertently put a tube with a short valve stem in the saddle bag. Once I got the tube in the tire and the tire back into the rim, I couldn't get enough valve exposed for the pump head to grab. Crap! I was stuck with the holed tube.

SO! Off came the tire, out came the tube. I tried pumping up the holed tube and it wouldn't hold any air at all. SO I pinched off parts of the tube and finally found the hole. I look around it, and there's another one - Snakebit! I retrieved my Park patch kit, pulled out a patch, put it in place, put the tube back in, pulled the bead back over, put the wheel back in the dropouts, and started pumping. I pumped like mad, but got no inflation.

SO I took off the wheel, took off the tire, and took out the tube. I was able to find another pair of holes, so I patched those. Back went the tube into the tire, then the bead into the rim, then the wheel into the dropouts. I pump like mad again, and get the tire up closer to a good pressure, but in the time it took me to fold up the other tube and stuff it in my pocket, the tire had gone flat.

SO I took off the wheel, took the tire off the rim, took the tube out of the tire, and looked for the hole. Turns out there was ANOTHER pair of holes right next to the second pair. ANOTHER patch! This time I pumped up the tube and it held air well. I ran the whole thing past my face to feel any air leak and found none. SO, for the FOURTH TIME I put the tube back into the tire, the tire back onto the rim, and the wheel back into the dropouts, and pumped it up. This time it worked.

I rode the 2.5 miles back to the car. Total time elapsed for the ride - 1:07. Total time moving: 0:20. SO I spent about 45 minutes fixing the flat!!!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-31-23, 08:34 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
You're officially banned from pit crew.
They don't even use nozzles in racing.
Originally Posted by abshipp
Unfortunately it is being verified in a bad way. Many large & violent tornados creating mass casualty events
Doesn't look too bad here. #SafetyInTheHills

Old 03-31-23, 08:42 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8834 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
130 windy miles today.

I feel tired.
Reminds me of this.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-01-23 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-31-23, 08:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
There's only one tired song for me:

Last edited by BillyD; 04-01-23 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-31-23, 08:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
They don't even use nozzles in racing.
Cannonballin' from Brentwood, TN to Brentwood in the City of Angels we'll be pumping gas that way.
Old 03-31-23, 09:01 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
I think it's starting to get crowded by this alien plant I can never remember the name of:
Iphone has a function that will identify plants.
Old 03-31-23, 09:08 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
It's been an expensive day. Went to three outdoor store and one bike shop. Did splash out and buy a bikepacking handlebar setup. Now I actually need to use it. Time to finish the cup of tea and go swear at some Marathon Plus tyres.
Likes For gnome:
Old 03-31-23, 09:22 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
I have walked by this venue so many times. Hope everyone is OK

Roof Collapse in downtown Belvidere

Old 03-31-23, 09:51 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My ride was a lot less fun. I just wanted to do a nice little 22 mile ride, ahead of the C&V ride tomorrow. I parked at Edgewood and Canada and headed toward Woodside.

About 2.5 miles in, I was going through a gravelly patch on the shoulder of Canada Rd, when I noticed the rear felt funny - not the bounciness of a low tire. Instead, the roughness of a flat tire. I didn't remember hitting anything. I pulled over to the side, and found a tree with a handy branch, hung the bike over it, and went to work.

I ran my hand all over the outside of the tire and found no cuts, no glass, nothing. I pulled the wheel and got the bead off the rim on one side, pulled out the tube and inspected the inside of the tire. I found nothing.

So I unzipped the saddle bag. First thing I discover is that I had inadvertently put a tube with a short valve stem in the saddle bag. Once I got the tube in the tire and the tire back into the rim, I couldn't get enough valve exposed for the pump head to grab. Crap! I was stuck with the holed tube.

SO! Off came the tire, out came the tube. I tried pumping up the holed tube and it wouldn't hold any air at all. SO I pinched off parts of the tube and finally found the hole. I look around it, and there's another one - Snakebit! I retrieved my Park patch kit, pulled out a patch, put it in place, put the tube back in, pulled the bead back over, put the wheel back in the dropouts, and started pumping. I pumped like mad, but got no inflation.

SO I took off the wheel, took off the tire, and took out the tube. I was able to find another pair of holes, so I patched those. Back went the tube into the tire, then the bead into the rim, then the wheel into the dropouts. I pump like mad again, and get the tire up closer to a good pressure, but in the time it took me to fold up the other tube and stuff it in my pocket, the tire had gone flat.

SO I took off the wheel, took the tire off the rim, took the tube out of the tire, and looked for the hole. Turns out there was ANOTHER pair of holes right next to the second pair. ANOTHER patch! This time I pumped up the tube and it held air well. I ran the whole thing past my face to feel any air leak and found none. SO, for the FOURTH TIME I put the tube back into the tire, the tire back onto the rim, and the wheel back into the dropouts, and pumped it up. This time it worked.

I rode the 2.5 miles back to the car. Total time elapsed for the ride - 1:07. Total time moving: 0:20. SO I spent about 45 minutes fixing the flat!!!!
holy carp, you’re a way better man than i! my total would have been the first 2.5 miles, period, plus the uber home once that happened. do you run any of your bikes tubeless?

three snakebite flats at once ?!! you should buy some lottery tickets.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-31-23, 11:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

More "Get the Led out" news:

FUN FACT: It was over the week of March 29, 1975, when Led Zeppelin's entire album catalog to date--the six-LP run from LED ZEPPELIN (1969) through PHYSICAL GRAFFITI (1975)--charted on the Billboard 200 at the same time. No other artist had ever achieved such a feat.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-01-23, 12:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

holy carp, you’re a way better man than i! my total would have been the first 2.5 miles, period, plus the uber home once that happened. do you run any of your bikes tubeless?

My hypothesis is that I got ONE snakebite that flatted the tire and the other two from riding on the rim. Weird thing is, whenever I've snakebited before, I always remember the *WALLOP!* that did it. I just put a brand new tube in the tire (the 3x patched one being flat), so if there's a tire wire or invisible piece of glass it'll flat overnight. Maybe.

In any case, I put a brand spankin' new tube with a 60mm stem in my saddle bag - which will look damn peculiar if I have to use it tomorrow, since I'm riding the 1985 Centurion Ironman with low profile box-section rims.

Old 04-01-23, 12:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Also, I'd only have needed an Uber to go 2.5 miles.

Old 04-01-23, 04:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I sure hope so. How much climbing?
Not enough. Only about 8K.
Old 04-01-23, 04:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The end is near.
April Fools!!
Old 04-01-23, 04:43 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
The end is close at hand
Old 04-01-23, 04:47 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

And now back to the second round(yoga). I finally feel like I'm ready for this sport. My wife has been at it for her entire adult life
Old 04-01-23, 04:50 AM
seedsbelize2

In reality, the routine would be better served by reversing the coffee/shower sequence. A week or so ago I found myself on the bus heading to the city, having forgotten to drink any coffee. Cold shower ftw
Old 04-01-23, 04:58 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The rental has a coolant leak. Slight, but enough it flashed a light this morning, reservoir was low, topped it up with distilled water, and can see a few drops.

Rental cars are dumb. Flying and renting is dumb. I want mine.
This is the Tiguan yea? How do you like it otherwise? I’ve been potentially interested in one, but they seem gutless
Old 04-01-23, 04:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by genejockey
My hypothesis is that I got ONE snakebite that flatted the tire and the other two from riding on the rim. Weird thing is, whenever I've snakebited before, I always remember the *WALLOP!* that did it. I just put a brand new tube in the tire (the 3x patched one being flat), so if there's a tire wire or invisible piece of glass it'll flat overnight. Maybe.

In any case, I put a brand spankin' new tube with a 60mm stem in my saddle bag - which will look damn peculiar if I have to use it tomorrow, since I'm riding the 1985 Centurion Ironman with low profile box-section rims.
I have a valve extender in my repair bag. It weighs 3g and although I have never needed it, I have “saved” a couple club mates whose spare tubes come up short in valve length.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-01-23, 05:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

One thing I also have in my bag is a zip-tie. I really needed TWO on yesterdays ride when the main strap on my left shoe broke. One was not long enough. I made do until the convenience store where they let me borrow their roll of scotch tape, a few lengths of that around my instep worked well enough.

#hack/bodge
Old 04-01-23, 05:04 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts

New Bike Day! Wife surprised me when I came home. Had to throw those pants away.
Old 04-01-23, 05:05 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

New Bike Day! Wife surprised me when I came home. Had to throw those pants away.
Whoa…
Nice
Old 04-01-23, 05:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This is the Tiguan yea? How do you like it otherwise? I’ve been potentially interested in one, but they seem gutless
It is comfortable and stable - like I said earlier, it reminds me of the GTI in terms of handling and feel, so if you like the VWAG characteristics it'll deliver that. Gutless is... I mean, that old Civic I talk about had 105hp and loooong gears for fuel economy. It's faster than that, and even with the turbo doesn't feel laggy. However, there was one time from a stoplight a QX50 ran off so hard even AG commented on it, and that has I think an extra 80hp. That of course is also the VWAG experience - the GTI had 200 vs the Mazdaspeed3 with 268 and the Focus ST with however much and so on. I don't know about modern turbos, but back when I had the GTI all the kids would pull another 50+ hp out of them with some mods. No idea if you're into that.

I won't stump for it of course, but it's not bad. Right now I'm salty about the coolant, even though it's at almost 35k miles of rental with Florida tags in California, so I assume it's had a long hard life for a rental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.