Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Roller Cam Brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Roller Cam Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 04:13 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Is yours an 87? I have an 88 KOM same colors and yes it has cantilevers in front u brake in rear. Great bike.
My frame is definitely June 1988 fabrication (see serial number), but it was replaced under warranty for the original owner. I thought there were only a total of 2K KOM-10s made, spanning 1988 and 1989, but I suppose the original frame and fork might have been made in 1987, in preparation for the 1988 model year. Since the fork is original, I suspect Schwinn abandoned the RollerCam early in the production run, in favor of the more conventional cantis. It is indeed a great bike -- mine gets a lot of good use.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-19-22, 07:38 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
While we're on the subject is there anything I can do to line mine up better? I tore them completely apart to clean them and they work great but they're a little cockeyed.
Loosen the mounting screw for the arm (I’d adjust the one on your drive side fork blade). Put an open end wrench on the flats of the rust colored piece between the arm and the mounting screw. Turn it a little (the tension spring is inside) and then re-tighten the mounting screw while holding the wrench in position. It might take a few tries to get the tension even on both sides, but once you do, the cam will center and both arms will look the same.

HTH
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 10-19-22, 09:55 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
I've had them on a few bikes. Roller cams and U-brakes have a lot of similarities. They both have a tendency to allow debris to interfere with braking, especially if they're on the underside of the chainstay. Cantis allowed for a lot more open space around the brakes, thus preventing debris from collecting, which is why they're a much better choice if you're actually taking a bike off road. Roller cams and U brakes are very good for commuters/tourers though. Low profile brakes prevent interference between the brake and panniers, as well as stopping heel strike, especially if they're located under the chainstay. The wide arms all the early canti had to get the braking power needed is the problem I think these brakes were trying to fix. Unfortunately, about the same time these brakes came along they were already making cantilever brakes low profile with v-brakes just around the corner.
Old 10-20-22, 03:00 AM
Imazagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I think the upper one (with the holes drilled through) is the XC power model, while the one below (with the dimples) is the XC pro. XC power was more expensive.
I can't post links yet, but google suntour museum mombatbicycles.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Does anyone know when this version (vis-a-vis the version on the Schwinn below) was out? And/or, what bikes it was typically found on? It definitely has the upper hand in the "looks like beautiful old bridge architecture" department. Not sure how the spring adjustment/balance works with this version.

Smoke that chrome! Looks like a clone of mine (confession - I have two....).

Even after releasing the cam? Never had that experience myself, even with 26x2s. Sometimes one of the arms swings all the way open as I remove the wheel; it's never thrown it out of adjustment, however.
Likes For Imazagi:
Old 10-20-22, 06:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Imazagi
I think the upper one (with the holes drilled through) is the XC power model, while the one below (with the dimples) is the XC pro. XC power was more expensive.
I can't post links yet, but google suntour museum mombatbicycles.
I think you're correct about the drilled ones. I think those may be actually Cunningham/WTB manufactured ones- rather than Maeda manufactured ones.

The brakes in my picture are not marked- but are paired with XC Sport levers- which would be sort of on par with the Deore (just plain "Deore") shifters and derailleurs that came specced on the bike.

Generally speaking- XC, XC 9000 and XC Pro are the top of the line in their respective time periods. (Because Suntour's naming convention was a mess and changed from (seemingly) year to year. XC Pro didn't come around until 1989/90, and I think roller cams had died by then.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-20-22, 07:13 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Good feedback, thanks gents. I’m always looking for unusual bits and I was thinking these might be a good choice for my early mountain bike even though cantis work fine.
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Here's a thread to start you off:
I totally didn't send the link to the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...il-brakes.html

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.