Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else receive their Jack the Bike Rack?!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else receive their Jack the Bike Rack?!

Old 11-22-22, 03:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I fail to see how a Wald rack which is a well regarded U.S. made product is not an alternative in this situation. Wald racks might be steel and heavy but they are well built well used racks/baskets and have been for a long long long long long time (1905 actually). I fail to see why they are a poor solution or not an alternative to a random bicycle rack from crowdfunding.

The beach chair was funny I laughed because well it is kinda true and good to have some sense of humor.
You grouchy scolder! How dare you have an opinion that doesn’t square with the happy praiser! How many posts do you have? I’ll bet it’s a lot [inserrt random comma here before some snark].
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-22, 05:22 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I fail to see how a Wald rack which is a well regarded U.S. made product is not an alternative in this situation. Wald racks might be steel and heavy but they are well built well used racks/baskets and have been for a long long long long long time (1905 actually). I fail to see why they are a poor solution or not an alternative to a random bicycle rack from crowdfunding.

The beach chair was funny I laughed because well it is kinda true and good to have some sense of humor.
Originally Posted by Koyote
Honest question: have you ever used one?
Yes I was a paperboy back in the early 70' and used one daily (except Sundays) But that is not what this rack is, but you already know that.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You grouchy scolder! How dare you have an opinion that doesn’t square with the happy praiser! How many posts do you have? I’ll bet it’s a lot [inserrt random comma here before some snark].
"the usual crew as they congratulate each other over the expected and unimaginative smart-ass comments"
Old 11-22-22, 05:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,925 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Yes I was a paperboy back in the early 70' and used one daily (except Sundays) But that is not what this rack is, but you already know that.
I’m not sure what this means. We’re talking about devices for carrying stuff around on a bike. And if you’ve used a Wald basket, you should know how well it works.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-22-22, 08:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Atlas Shrugged You can feed the trolls, but having no shame, they just get more bloated and drunk seeing their names on the screen. They are worthless elements, not worth the consideration of those capable of such a thing. Thank you, though, for the thoughtful comments!
Old 11-22-22, 08:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Oh, and Atlas Shrugged , on the matter of Wald baskets, you are of course correct they’re not at all the same thing as the JACK. You have to zoom like crazy, but in the following pic you’ll see a ‘73 Schwinn Collegiate 5spd I had in the fleet for almost 20 years and to which I affixed a Wald basket; it’s hanging in the rafters in the upper right of the pic. I still own it, but it’s on indefinite loan to a friend, and yeah, I’d need to be suffering some kind of mental deficiency to seriously consider bolting one of those Wald things on the Rally.

Old 11-22-22, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Not trolling or anything like that throwing legitimate praise at the Wald baskets and racks. I don't see why Wald cannot be listed with another rack as if this Jack thing is something so crazily different.

Having differing racks is not a bad thing. In the case of this vs that the Wald baskets can mount on the handlebars as well but they have a second place of contact at the dropouts or mid fork, the Jack the Beach Chair does not have that same set up it hangs on the bars like the Wald and then uses hook and loop straps on the head tube . It doesn't mean that Jack is bad it just is a different thing. And yes I was saying Jack the Beach Chair as a joke to laugh about not some hate on the product or some odd conspiracy as maybe someone random might try and infer. I enjoy laughing it is good for you and it is an internet bike forum no need to be serious all the time?!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-22-22, 10:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
...and yeah, I’d need to be suffering some kind of mental deficiency to seriously consider bolting one of those Wald things on the Rally.
It's a $750 steel frame bike with a 1x8 Claris drivetrain. Why is it so outlandish to use a Wald rack on that bike?

I am considering tossing a Wald rack on my commute/errand bike. Ive hesitated because I don't love the look and think I would like a demi-porteur style rack more, but I certainly don't think I have a mental deficiency for seriously considering a Wald rack.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-23-22, 12:15 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
If aesthetics take a back seat to function, Wald baskets do the job. I put a Wald 520 rear basket set on the Xebec, and I actually expected it to rattle, but it never has, even at speed down a steep little hill bouncing over broken pavement. I've loaded it up with groceries and it just works.
Old 11-23-22, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by chaadster
Atlas Shrugged You can feed the trolls, but having no shame, they just get more bloated and drunk seeing their names on the screen. They are worthless elements, not worth the consideration of those capable of such a thing. Thank you, though, for the thoughtful comments!
“Funny. I was thinking the same thing.”—Jules Winfield
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-22, 05:11 AM
indyfabz

When you need something functional and nice looking.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-22, 05:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's an alternative with a lower weight limit.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Hang-...A2N8IR65CAZMH8
Old 11-23-22, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rollagain
If aesthetics take a back seat to function, Wald baskets do the job.
I find functionality to be attractive, and so my errand bike’s basket looks good to me. It carries a larger load than the Jack Rack, doesn’t rock or sway, and takes about five minutes to install. I have an old waterproof canvas tote bag that I load up and drop into the basket — works brilliantly and with no fuss.
Old 11-23-22, 09:24 AM
Koyote

Decals half worn off, anodizing worn off from the bottle cages, lots of scuffing on the crank arms. That’s my kind of bike — the kind that gets used hard. In some ways, I find that even sexier than your ti Super Fly machine. But I suspect the OP would never be caught dead on it.
Old 11-23-22, 09:26 AM
seypat

Those racks are in it for the long hau!l
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-23-22, 09:29 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...Why is it so outlandish to use a Wald rack on that bike?...
To me and perhaps others, the only Tern I have seen in the flesh was as nicely built as my customs, with welding and paint/decals done by craftsmen who clearly cares, lovely polished fenders and rims and to my taste very nice leather grips, as opposed to my LeMond Zurich with weld splatter under the paint. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Wald rack and one can not beat it for being useful and economical, a benefit to the majority of cyclists. However, splurging on a very nice pricey rack for the Tern is something I can appreciate.
Old 11-23-22, 10:09 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
Those racks are in it for the long hau!l
They are 12.5 years old and still work and look great. Nickel plated steel is real.
Old 11-23-22, 10:12 AM
seypat

They are 12.5 years old and still work and look great. Nickel plated steel is real.
And still trucking.

All of the adventures they've taken with you - priceless.
Old 11-23-22, 10:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Decals half worn off, anodizing worn off from the bottle cages, lots of scuffing on the crank arms. That’s my kind of bike — the kind that gets used hard. In some ways, I find that even sexier than your ti Super Fly machine. But I suspect the OP would never be caught dead on it.
Heh. That thing has probably averaged at least 1,000 touring miles/year since I got it in 2011. That's not mention the commuting/transportation miles. The decals are mostly the victim of locking the bike to racks and poles. IIRC, they are completely worn off now. (Maybe I should start a thread about making a bike less attractive to prevent theft. ) I think I replaced the cages with new red ones after one of them finally broke. Still have the crank arms, but the chain rings are now black.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-22, 10:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's a $750 steel frame bike with a 1x8 Claris drivetrain. Why is it so outlandish to use a Wald rack on that bike?

I am considering tossing a Wald rack on my commute/errand bike. Ive hesitated because I don't love the look and think I would like a demi-porteur style rack more, but I certainly don't think I have a mental deficiency for seriously considering a Wald rack.
Didn't you know if you squint hard enough Claris is the new Dura Ace. So long as you don't use it and keep squinting it will always be true.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-23-22, 10:52 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I like exploring various options for bike cargo, but I don't think I'd use something like this Jack thing-a-ma-jig.

Here's why:

For less money and easier installation, you can get a bag that simply straps onto the handlebar. Boom. Done. And it doubles as a purse/fanny pack when you get to where you're going. Easily moves between bikes. Keeps your stuff protected from the weather. Keeps your stuff secure from falling off. (Not to say you can't secure things to a rack, but it's more complicated and time consuming than throwing them in a bag and closing the zipper.)

If you want to carry stuff that's bulkier or heavier than a handlebar bag can take, get a proper rack, with support struts that secure it to the fork down low. Ideally, these would attach to threaded bosses, but some bikes will require "P" clamps. This will handle much more weight with no concerns about strength/security.

When you consider the physics involved (really just geometry), there's a huge disadvantage to anything that attaches only at the top. Because leverage. I have a semi-rigid bag from Ortlieb with the same problem. Its pros include super easy and fast attachment/removal after the mounting bracket is initially installed; tough, waterproof, and very secure compartment; some nice features like magnetic top flap closure, zippered internal pouch, and key clip; and top quality materials and construction. One con is that it can't be shared between multiple bikes unless you spend additional money for more mounting brackets. Also, the bracket that remains installed on the bike is kind of chunky. The biggest con, in my opinion, is that it really doesn't carry much weight. This is entirely because of the leverage involved--a few vertical struts would make a world of difference.

I might sound like a hypocrite for saying I favor either a soft bag or a "proper" rack, and then saying I use an Ortlieb semi-rigid bag. But there are some applications where it's nice to have something in the niche between these extremes. The Ortlieb overlaps a bit into the realm of smaller and lighter bags and a bit into the realm of rigid racks. Although it requires some compromises, it offers the best of both worlds. A rack that attaches only to the bar and stem and is still just a rack (no enclosure built into it) involves too many compromises, for me. I see it as having the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by Broctoon; 11-23-22 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-23-22, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I like exploring various options for bike cargo, but I don't think I'd use something like this Jack thing-a-ma-jig.
Prepare to be branded a grumpy troll thingamajig, or whatever, especially since you pointed out the issues with the OP's contraption.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-22, 12:07 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Prepare to be branded a grumpy troll thingamajig, or whatever, especially since you pointed out the issues with the OP's contraption.
I prefer the term you coined above: Grouchy Scolder. Could be straight out of Dickens; has a nice, descriptive ring to it, like 'Artful Dodger' or 'M'Choakumchild.'
I, for one, would be quite happy being referred to as a Grouchy Scolder.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-23-22, 01:02 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I don't mean to criticize anyone for his choices in bike gear. Folks can use whatever works well for them, or whatever looks cool and appeals to them. My preferences lean toward the practical and efficient, usually.

I often chime in with an opinion on others' choices, for the sake of a meaningful discussion. As you note, this can rub some people the wrong way.

Last edited by Broctoon; 11-23-22 at 01:24 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-23-22, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by badger1
I prefer the term you coined above: Grouchy Scolder. Could be straight out of Dickens; has a nice, descriptive ring to it, like 'Artful Dodger' or 'M'Choakumchild.'
I, for one, would be quite happy being referred to as a Grouchy Scolder.
*Poof!*

You’re a Grouchy Scolder.

Yours truly,

Crabby McCrabface
Likes For indyfabz: