Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tweaked Bianchi Professional meets my grubby little cold-setting hands

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tweaked Bianchi Professional meets my grubby little cold-setting hands

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 10:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Well, I had success with this brute-force-and-massive-ignorance method -

The gory details are here. And cudak888's earlier photo displays exactly the right spot to pull on.
So it was you, rustystrings61! That's the photo that inspired me to try out the propeller shaft method. Thank you! I

Also, I see you're living up to your name

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Haha...well I need to burn a few holes in some scrapola frames before I melt down an almost-good Paramount - you at least convinced me of that!

I gotta admit as soon as you mentioned that nickname, I got an image in my head...a very bad image in my head, of a plumbing reference
Mike wasn't available last weekend, I'll probably see him on Monday and get you some scraps to practice with.

Given all the recreational smokeums in Colorado, "Crack Corrector" could have many other connotations

-Kurt

Old 01-09-23, 10:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Discarded rear axle shafts can be used as steel bars.
torsion bars as well.
https://gm.oempartsonline.com/oem-pa...hoCP3cQAvD_BwE
Old 01-10-23, 10:34 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

Mike wasn't available last weekend, I'll probably see him on Monday and get you some scraps to practice with.

Given all the recreational smokeums in Colorado, "Crack Corrector" could have many other connotations

-Kurt
Very kind of you sir. If you get a shipping quote on a box of this stuff, let me know and I'll cover it so you're not out anything! I've been doing lots of research, picking up some good tips. Lot's more to do.

Plenty of meanings depending on one's persuasion - hopefully the right one would be clear if we met face to face haha. In 6mo I'll probably be ready, and the Crack Corrector will be lighting up (a torch)
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-10-23, 10:36 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by dedhed
Well, now I know where the torsion bars from my B-body Plymouth are going if I (finally) swap those worn things out eventually. Prices have gone through the roof for them recently though ("Damn Superbirds!").

-Kurt

Old 01-10-23, 10:36 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Well, I had success with this brute-force-and-massive-ignorance method -

The gory details are here. And cudak888's earlier photo displays exactly the right spot to pull on.
This is completely awesome and I'm going to see if we have any large rooftop (HVAC) blower wheel shafts sitting around the warehouse that were returned that I could snag for this purpose in case I ever needed it. I think we have one back there right now, but It is probably too thick to slip through a 1" threaded size headtube.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-10-23, 11:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Sometimes you've just gotta caveman things.
Likes For himespau:
Old 01-10-23, 04:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by himespau
Sometimes you've just gotta caveman things.
Caveman crash require caveman repair.

And sometimes some finesse on the frame table. But usually caveman repair.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-10-23, 06:14 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I love threads like this. Moral of the story: Yes, lurker/noob/hobbyist/commuter/enthusiast, you can fix your own bicycle, and you should try it.

Sure, dedicated alignment tools in the right hands will always give more precise results, but that isn't always available to everyone, or at all times, increasingly less often with the old time bike shops disappearing. With a little ingenuity, maybe sometimes a bit of finesse, maybe sometimes a bit of brute force, you can get your bike back to an acceptable degree of performance and functionality.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-10-23, 06:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
A solid barbell bar might also serve well.

EDIT: ...seeing that Schweinhund already alluded...
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-14-23, 01:07 AM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 51 Posts
I clamped a bent sideways frame to a wooden workbench and heaved on the unsupported part hanging over the edge, Got it straight (I think it had been backed into in a garage) Some DIY wooden frame blocks and a tiny amount of filler and you would never have known. Steel is so forgiving...
Likes For Bergz:
Old 01-14-23, 12:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
No, no they're not.
Uh, yes, yes they are, unless my material science professor was lying to me 35 years ago.

Stiffness is the same on all steels (in case you don't believe me). Strength varies significantly within different steel alloys.
Old 01-14-23, 02:22 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Uh, yes, yes they are, unless my material science professor was lying to me 35 years ago.

Stiffness is the same on all steels (in case you don't believe me). Strength varies significantly within different steel alloys.
Steel is an alloy made of iron and any number of different metals (chromium, manganise, molyebdenum, vanadium, etc..). iron is stiff, and has the highest shear strength of any metal. iron is also brittle with a tendency to shatter. alloying agents are broght in in differing percentages to change the characteristics of the finished metal.
This is what my machine shop teacher taught us.
I think maybe you misunderstood your teacher.
Old 01-14-23, 02:55 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Steel is an alloy made of iron and any number of different metals (chromium, manganise, molyebdenum, vanadium, etc..). iron is stiff, and has the highest shear strength of any metal. iron is also brittle with a tendency to shatter. alloying agents are broght in in differing percentages to change the characteristics of the finished metal.
This is what my machine shop teacher taught us.
I think maybe you misunderstood your teacher.
BTW your statement that "steel is an alloy" is only true for alloy steel. Plain steel (which is most steel) has only iron and a small amount of carbon, no other metals needed.

Also your statement that iron is stiff is wrong. Young's modulus of gray cast iron is less than half that of steel.

Can you point out where gugie went wrong? If you are talking about his statement that all steels have the same stiffness, we can quibble about a few percent difference here and there, but as long as you add a "very nearly" in there, then it's true. The modulus does vary by about 10% among steels, but the difference is less than that among those commonly used on bicycles and most structures.

Stiffness doesn't change at all with cold-working or heat treating, and only a small amount with alloying or carbon content, excluding some weird or special-purpose steels. BTW stainless has a bit lower modulus, but it's generally considered a separate category among engineers and fabricators.

Do you disagree with that? If so, please try to show a reference.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 01-14-23, 09:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

^
Word to the wise: Metallurgy and the science of materials is wonderful.

...but if you just need to straighten your gaspipe, just go for the first solid rod that doesn't bend on you, and you should be good.

(Edit: I just read that ^ again and I'm now trying to keep a straight face. But that's another story).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-08-24 at 07:42 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-14-23, 10:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Kurt,
If you think this is fun, just come on over to the carbon fiber discussions on the golf shaft forums. It doesn't compare to the ones about steel tubes and the way they are made today. Frinstance, does the weld line create a spine in the tube and can it affect the way the tube works as a spring constant due to the weld temperatures. CF discussions go along the same path and the engineers and designers are rarely asked for opinions. TBH I think steel tubes do have a spring constant and it can influence the way a bike frame flexes during riding, but that is again a theoretical discussion. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-15-23 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-15-23, 06:34 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
BTW your statement that "steel is an alloy" is only true for alloy steel. Plain steel (which is most steel) has only iron and a small amount of carbon, no other metals needed.

Also your statement that iron is stiff is wrong. Young's modulus of gray cast iron is less than half that of steel.

Can you point out where gugie went wrong? If you are talking about his statement that all steels have the same stiffness, we can quibble about a few percent difference here and there, but as long as you add a "very nearly" in there, then it's true. The modulus does vary by about 10% among steels, but the difference is less than that among those commonly used on bicycles and most structures.

Stiffness doesn't change at all with cold-working or heat treating, and only a small amount with alloying or carbon content, excluding some weird or special-purpose steels. BTW stainless has a bit lower modulus, but it's generally considered a separate category among engineers and fabricators.

Do you disagree with that? If so, please try to show a reference.
Not going to argue, you are incorrect and it's not my job to correct you. Or would you like me to go all in and say that you are full of it?
Old 01-15-23, 11:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Not going to argue, you are incorrect and it's not my job to correct you. Or would you like me to go all in and say that you are full of it?
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

I'm 100% sure that I'll never be able to convince you that stiffness of steels is pretty much the same regardless of alloy, I'm just hoping that others that read this will have this is the takeaway.

Since you're not willing to have a reasonable argument outside of "my high school shop teacher told me so", the best option I think is just to put you on ignore.
Old 01-15-23, 11:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

PSA - how to put someone on ignore

Old 01-15-23, 01:08 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 198 Posts
I'll go on the record and say Gugie is right about Young's Modulus. I studied it at school, I've looked it up, I've seen the charts. But Young's Modulus is pretty strictly defined - a coupon of material is put into the machine, tension is applied and the change in length measured. Young's modulus identifies the change in length from where the material will still return to the coupon's original length. It measures elasticity up to the point of yield. Yield can mean several things - the coupon can deform (not return to its original shape) or it may do very little of that and just snap - tensile failure.

Where folks, myself included, get confused is equating this measurement of elasticity with stiffness. Most of us think of stiffness as resistance to bending, but that is not what stress-strain testing reveals. When we bend something it is more complicated, part of the material is under tension and a similar amount is being compressed. The shape of the sample can have more to do with stiffness than the material - with the same mass of material, a tube will be much stiffer than a rod. With a piece of flat bar it will be much "stiffer" when stressed in the plane of one side vs. the other. Taken to a logical extreme, if you fold a piece of paper correctly it becomes rigid enough to support a brick. It is easy to reach a conclusion that one steel is "stiffer" than another.

To return to this thread on cold-setting, which in itself implies that Young's Modulus is not involved since we are deliberately deflecting the material beyond the point where it will return to its original shape, what we are really talking about here is the yield strength of steel - which, unlike Young's Modulus, varies a lot according to alloy and post-treatment. Introducing a permanent change in shape of a mild steel bike frame will require tangibly less force than performing the same ritual on a 531 frame. The yield and tensile strengths are way different. This would be even more evident if the tube sections were identical, which they seldom are. The whole purpose of using high-strength tubing is so that less material can be used for an equally robust frame and weight can be dramatically reduced.

I apologize to those of you who already understand this very well, but given part of the exchange above it appeared that a re-visit was needed

Last edited by daka; 01-15-23 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added "deliberately" for clarity
Likes For daka:
Old 01-15-23, 01:59 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
LOL, finally something we can agree on!