Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 08:19 PM
Joe Padilla

Bikes: Trek 520 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my bike all ready now. Yesterday I got my drive train replaced. Got a new crank, cassette, and rear derailleur. Got a new chain, some new handlebar tape, new cables, new brakes, and a set of full fenders.
I'll be getting my new tires next week! 22 more days!

Oh yeah I hit 2000 miles in 3 months today!

Old 05-28-12, 09:14 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Padilla

So far this is the least loaded rig I've seen in this thread.
Old 05-29-12, 01:42 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Here is my 1980 Schwinn Voyageur loaded for a short trip in northern Michigan. I recently upgraded this bike to 700cc wheelset and modern freehub and triple crank drivetrain. I was quite pleased how well the bike performed well under load.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.jpg (101.4 KB, 532 views)
023.jpg (98.3 KB, 446 views)
013.jpg (101.9 KB, 419 views)
Old 05-30-12, 12:12 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Here is my 1980 Schwinn Voyageur loaded for a short trip in northern Michigan. I recently upgraded this bike to 700cc wheelset and modern freehub and triple crank drivetrain. I was quite pleased how well the bike performed well under load.

Where did you ride in the U.P.? Next year I'm looking at riding from Roscommon to Newberry in the U.P. on the old rail trail.
Old 05-30-12, 01:20 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djyak
Where did you ride in the U.P.? Next year I'm looking at riding from Roscommon to Newberry in the U.P. on the old rail trail.
I rode from Topinabee to Wilderness State Park. I camped and then returned the next day. The rail trail you are referring to goes from Gaylord to Mackinaw City. It goes through Topinabee. You cannot ride across the Mackinac Bridge. However, I have read that for $5 a bridge employee will drive you and your bike across. Apparently, there is a phone on the south end that you can call and request a ride. (The toll booths are on the north side).
Old 06-05-12, 08:39 PM
Six jours

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Old 06-06-12, 12:19 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I rode from Topinabee to Wilderness State Park. I camped and then returned the next day. The rail trail you are referring to goes from Gaylord to Mackinaw City. It goes through Topinabee. You cannot ride across the Mackinac Bridge. However, I have read that for $5 a bridge employee will drive you and your bike across. Apparently, there is a phone on the south end that you can call and request a ride. (The toll booths are on the north side).

Yeah, there are apparently a lot of people who can't drive across the bridge, too scary. My mother-inlaw is one of them! I didn't know about them taking cyclists across though, I just figured on the ferry. The Michigan Cyclists website showed some great pics along with a link to some homes that welcome in cyclists like B & B's.
Old 06-08-12, 10:29 AM
Greenshredman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
German bike tour 2008 130.jpg (96.6 KB, 524 views)
Old 06-08-12, 11:33 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours

oh, nice! How dare you post such a pic without specs!
Old 06-08-12, 05:46 PM
Six jours

I was drunk at the time.

Homemade frame cribbed from a 1938 Reyhand, lots of Velo-Orange parts (cranks, bars, rack, main bearings, rims, fenders), mostly Shimano drivetrain (still don't why they make 9 and 10 speed indexed DT levers; I've got to be the only one buying them), Tektro cantilevers with 50 year old Mafac levers, a gigantic sofa of a saddle from Brooks (B33) and my all-time favorite tires; the 650b 42 mm Grand Bois Hetre.

The Carradice bag is temporary; just a placeholder until the Berthoud panniers arrive next week. Still not really a "loaded" touring bike, but the closest thing I've got.

Glad you like it!
Old 06-08-12, 06:11 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homemade frame cribbed from a 1938 Reyhand
That really is a really a classy looking bike but can you elaborate. I guess I am showing my age but what does "cribbed" mean. I actually thought it was a GT frame due to the way the stays meet the TT. Did you really build it?
Old 06-08-12, 06:52 PM
Six jours

"Copied". I build frames as a hobby and mostly steal old French designs of the 1930s and 40s.

And yeah, everybody assumes it's a GT, which kind of bums me out, but oh well. The "triple triangle" design has been around for at least a hundred years and was used on some of the finest cyclotouring bikes ever built, way back in the day.

Last edited by Six jours; 06-08-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:48 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Copied". I build frames as a hobby and mostly steal old French designs of the 1930s and 40s.

And yeah, everybody assumes it's a GT, which kind of bums me out, but oh well. The "triple triangle" design has been around for at least a hundred years and was used on some of the finest cyclotouring bikes aver built, way back in the day.

that looks nothing like a GT.
but, i can see where some folks would think that...

nice rig, nice work.
you are honing that craft, for sure.
Old 06-08-12, 08:13 PM
Six jours

Good to see you around, Mike. Hope the family's doing well. Our oldest will be five soon, which is kind of hard to believe.

I rode the bike at one of the local club events and the owner of the host shop - a "guru" according to some - said "Nice GT". I said "Actually, I built the frame myself" and he replied "I know a GT when I see one." I asked something along the lines of "So GT built touring frames with Henry James lugs, eh?" and he just repeated his belief that he "knows a GT when he sees one". Which kind of reinforced my opinion about "gurus" in the SoCal bike scene. But yeah, most folks just see the triple triangle and make the assumption. C'est la vie...
Old 06-08-12, 08:59 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Family is good. Oldest 4 1/2 now. Youngest almost 1 year.
Little riding for me. Lots of brevet organizing and dreaming of a day when I can rack up the miles again. Soon, I hope. Looking forward to a 3 - 4 day dirt tour. Just have to put it on the calendar.

Really nice looking bikes you've posted up. Regardless of what a guru thinks.
Old 06-09-12, 10:10 PM
Joe Padilla

Bikes: Trek 520 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got my trans american bicycle route map set in the mail. Got the new tires on ( schwalbe marathon mondial's), got a rear view mirror, and I got one more week till I leave! Nothing like a new adventure. For me its whats life's all about!

Old 06-09-12, 11:01 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And yeah, everybody assumes it's a GT, which kind of bums me out, but oh well. The "triple triangle" design has been around for at least a hundred years and was used on some of the finest cyclotouring bikes ever built, way back in the day.
Thanks for that and I hope no offense was taken. Thinking it was a GT was only my initial reaction but it's way to classy to be confused with one upon a closer look. I had no idea that the triple triangle design has been around that long and that really says something about the design. I always thought it made sense and wondered why other manufacturers don't do the same. Probably because they don't want their bikes to be confused with being a GT!
Old 06-10-12, 12:17 AM
Six jours

No offense at all. I'm flattered that you like the bike!
Old 06-11-12, 12:26 AM
sgnl2nz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my recently acquired and modified 1990ish Univega Via Carisma on her first real shakedown ride today to the Oakland hills before doing some seeerious bike camping next weekend in the Santa Cruz mountains. Nothing fell off. Nothing blew up. I nearly did both.
Attached Images
P1030470.jpg (101.5 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by sgnl2nz; 06-11-12 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 11:56 AM
dabrucru

Bikes: cube sl road comp, canyon neuron, GFM city bike with child seat attached, peugeot 80's city bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Joe Padilla;14161338]Yeah thats a light mount, I ride to work everyday and its dark on the way home, and with my new handlebar bag I had to mount my light somewere. I tried to mount to the bottom of my front fork but it sat to low for the other cars to see my light and my rim blocked some of the light so I took it to the car shop next to my work and the rigged it up with some tubing and zip cords! Its on there tight too!
[/QUO

very nice neighbour hood
Old 06-11-12, 01:44 PM
chekmx

Bikes: Brompton,Electric KMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mobile deck chair

My Bacchetta Bellandare at the start of an overnight trip.
Attached Images
Bacchetta.jpg (95.2 KB, 356 views)
Old 06-12-12, 07:36 PM
Six jours

Just a slight update to show the cute little Berthoud panniers which arrived this afternoon. Almost embarrassing to post this as a "loaded" touring bike...

Old 06-12-12, 08:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
cute little is right, kinda funny being so small, but certainly add to the whole period look dont they? Didnt say before, but that really is a nice looking bike.
question-can you describe how the multi-coiled Brooks feels like riding, it looks like it would be moving all over the place and would feel very strange. Just curious.
Old 06-12-12, 09:42 PM
Six jours

The panniers hold a spare tire, a tube, a patch kit, tire levers, C02 inflator, Allen wrench set, and a compact binocular. I could probably cram in a rain jacket or something similar, but that's it. So they're not the most useful panniers I've ever heard of, but they do meet my needs at this point. They're not going to cut it for extended touring, if it ever comes to that.

The saddle moves all over the place and feels very strange. I'm getting used to it, but it's a very odd feeling right now. It is comfortable, though.
Old 06-12-12, 10:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but my first impression of the bike and saddle, completely from.an aesthetics angle, is that all the coils front, back and below- is too much, and doesn't seem to suit the bike. I could see it on an older looking bike, but I could see a rear sprung model being less "present" visually, as well as fitting more with the (as I perceive) the 50s look, as opposed to an earlier look that that type saddle seems to me.

Again, not criticizing, just voicing my thoughts upon seeing it each.time.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.