Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 06:13 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
out to the top of the hill by my apartment
Old 07-21-12, 01:21 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Found an old, old road on my ride today but ran out of time to fully explore it.

Old 07-21-12, 05:34 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode around Portland, ME which is very bike friendly BTW...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Deering Oaks.jpg (102.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-21-12, 06:45 PM
Conan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://app.strava.com/rides/14061978
Old 07-21-12, 07:26 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Above Strawberry looking out at the Chrystal Range, Desolation Wilderness CA by djk762, on Flickr
Old 07-22-12, 05:58 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
I did one of my regular rides through the Adelaide Hills today and rode my Aussie custom built bike this time. I'm always finding another back road to ride on, anywhere is good around here.

Old 07-22-12, 06:14 AM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great place to ride...
Old 07-22-12, 06:46 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Thanks, it sure is.
Old 07-22-12, 09:19 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Found an old, old road on my ride today but ran out of time to fully explore it.

Note to self: get a mountain bike and outfit it with Nuovo Record triple...

Beautiful, Scott. I've got two weeks of leave coming and want to get out your way one of those days

DD
Old 07-22-12, 02:37 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
66 miles on a beautiful sunny day! 70s-80s, light wind. I rode to Chepachet and back.

corn it's coming!

pepe le pew, gone but not forgotten.

Gingerly rode 6 miles of dirt on the tubulars. No problem, felt good. Tires are so subjective, you hear so many conflicting views that it can be difficult to form an opinion. Yeah, the Rally I installed is slightly lumpy and a touch crooked, but it feels good on rough roads and dirt roads. You really notice its short comings on smooth, fast descents. The price was right. I'll probably upgrade to a Conti sprinter in a couple of months and regulate the Rally to spare duty. I had been riding some crappy Schwalbe tires on the De Rosa before in an attempt to use them up before they rotted away (and economize), so my standards aren't too high right now. I also want to see how the flat situation goes before I throw down $100 for a fancy tubular.

Old 07-22-12, 07:09 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
45 miles on the tandem today, 47 yesterday. The full story and pics here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Big-Adventure

Last edited by jimmuller; 07-22-12 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 07:17 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Note to self: get a mountain bike and outfit it with Nuovo Record triple...

Beautiful, Scott. I've got two weeks of leave coming and want to get out your way one of those days

DD
Please do, Jeff. We can even take the clipless pedals off the Klein and you can ride that. This was about 90 minutes into my ride.

Old 07-22-12, 08:39 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
I rode in the L'MAX Lake Fest Bike Tour beginning in in Culver, Indiana, around Lake Maxinkuckee and through the rolling hills of Marshall County farmland. I ran across a gentleman from Valparaiso, Indiana riding a minty 86 Paramount with a Columbus SLX frame, full Campy and a new set of handbuilt Mavic wheels. Sweet!
Old 07-22-12, 09:09 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Three Covered Bridges and Blair Tandem Project

Today I went for two rides. The first ride was a 35 mile loop which I rode on the Norman Rapide (man do I love that bike, BTW) and that I did with the Frederick Pedalers. I've not been on any of their rides before, and have been thinking about joining, but wanted to do a ride or two before I make a final decision. The ride was pretty laid back and out of 15 riders, I was the 5th one back, which is unusual for me given I normally tend to be at the back of the pack.

The second ride was on the Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem and was just a short 16 mile ride to Burkittsville and back to Brunswick. My stoker took the majority of the pictures as she's trying to learn the technique for shooting while moving. They turned out pretty well overall.

Three Covered Bridges Ride - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Three Covered Bridges Ride - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 5 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 7 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 8 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 10 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Blair Tandem Project - 11 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr
Old 07-22-12, 09:47 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Three hours on the mountain bike today in Harvard Forest (3500 acre research forest owned/operated by Harvard that abuts my parents' land in Central MA). Lots of doubletrack / dirt roads and some single track. Also some roads that show up on a map but fade away into the woods or dead end at swamps...

I've ridden out there a number of times over the years, but there is such a network of trails and roads that I always seem to get lost at least once. Today I headed out there with a good friend to mix things up since neither of us have been on our mountain bikes since spring. Ended up doing more hiking than we wanted and my legs are torn up from thorn bushes and razor grass, but the weather was perfect and we had a blast.

(click pics to enlarge. Didn't want to clutter the thread with full size pictures)

Here's my friend Shane. Riding my old Klein Attitude Comp

Grassy road gradually faded into a swamp... we could see the road pick up on the other side of the swamp so we hiked over a beaver dam to get there.

My (well it's on loan from a buddy actually but I don't plan on giving it back...) WTB Phoenix. And yours truly emerging from the swamp...

The map showed a road leading up to this fire tower...but it was basically a quarter mile vertical climb through some serious brush/thorn bushes. (no photos from the top. There was a fellow from the DCR up in the tower so we decided to heed the no trespassing signs)

Reward when we got home. Rib eye, grilled onions and horse radish on sourdough. Washed down by some blueberries from the back yard muddled with cranberry juice, seltzer and lime.

Old 07-22-12, 11:02 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I celebrated my 55th birthday this weekend by riding in the High Cascade 100 MTB race in Bend, Oregon.

https://highcascades100.com/race/

I have owned and occasionally ridden a vintage Yo Eddy MTB for years and never considered myself anything more than a casual rider, venturing out on relatively tame single track near my house a few times a year. Then I met some guys in Spin Class who put this crazy notion in my head that I should do this 100 mile bike race this summer. Crazy appeals to me so what the heck, it could be a character building experience if nothing else..

I've written before about putting a modern 80mm suspension fork on my bike to get it ready for this race. I rode the local trails with these jokers fairly often this spring so now it was a leap of faith in my fitness and stubbornness to see this through.

Here I am with my friends at the start line at 5:30am..

The ride started out with a few miles on pavement heading out of Bend. The course then headed into the woods for a gradual climb on dirt roads before going into nearly 80 miles of single track that circled Mt Bachelor. I do well on the climbs so the first third was a breeze. Aid stations were spaced about every 20 miles.

My achilles heel is descending on technical trails. In one section I crashed 4 times. Two of which were caused when I clipped trees going around corners. It happens so suddenly it's like the hand of God just rips you off the bike and you're bounding off trees wondering what just happened. I realized if I was going to finish this thing I'd have to pay closer attention to how I was riding. To me this is what sets MTB apart from road cycling: your mind is fully engaged and there is never a time where you aren't looking ahead for your line, knowing when to apply high energy to get over an obstacle. There is no rest, there were hard cutoffs at the aid stations where you'd get pull off if you hadn't reached the station my a certain time. At 55 miles I was 30 minutes from the cut off. I had a 2 hr the time cushion when I reached the last Aid station at Edison. I was relieved because I knew I would finish even if I was one of the last ones in. At many times I was in the woods by myself, the afternoon getting late having mixed feelings about wanting the singletrack to come to an end and the feeling of wonder of the flowy trail I had all to myself. Once I reached the road I spun up like a good roadie and finished the ride back into Bend around 7:30. One short trail thru the woods to the finish line and party. Every finisher is awarded a nifty growler which I took proudly back to my hotel room when the last of the finishers arrived and the party ended.

Here is my prize and my bike back at the room

I didn't make it any easier on myself by choosing to ride a vintage bike. The Yo Eddy was a fine bike in it's day - a lot of riders and mechanics at the aid stations complemented my bike but I am sure no one would have traded me for it that day… designs today are so much better. Most riders were on 29" suspension bikes with 4-5" of travel front and rear. If I ever decide to to this ride again it will defiantly on a bike like one of these. In the end, yea, I might have been slow but I finished and I am proud of that.

Last edited by northbend; 07-22-12 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 06:20 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Happy belated Birthday first of all Northbend!

You certainly aren't afraid of a little challenge, are you.

Congrats on your finish.

You bring up a great point about modern equipment though.

Most of us would be thrilled to have a nice Yo Eddy like yours, until we would actually have to make it perform off road like its modern counterparts.

We are doing the Rusty Ride in August, a weekend after the Dairyland Dare.

https://mnrustyride.com/

Most of the guys I will ride with are doing the 100.

I can't, so I am trying the 50 on a friend's Salsa El Mariachi.

Even 50 sounds tough to me, so I can't imagine how grueling your ride was for you.

Thankfully no injuries and a growler at the end.

Very nice work young man.
Old 07-23-12, 06:38 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Still getting to know the riding since moving here, but the English countryside is beautiful. Rode north from Oxford up to Chipping Norton (could there be a more English sounding town name?) and a bit further, to the Rollright Stones, a group of ~5,000 year old stone monuments at the edge of the Cotswolds.

The bike doesn't look very retro beside a 5,500 year old stone circle!

Admiring the view from a random bench by the road. The muddy wheels and fenders are from an ill-advised foray into Wychwood, where the trails were a mess of sticky mud:
Old 07-23-12, 02:06 PM
jeffpepperdine

Bikes: ‘79 witcomb, ‘84 billato, ‘86 tomasso

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had some beauty sunset rides along the ocean lately here in Victoria!
Attached Images
photo.jpg (100.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-25-12, 12:54 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Bookhouse on one of my favorite rides

This house is a new one to replace the one burned down in a fire 3yrs ago(no, it's not mine). This is on my standard ride of about 16-20 miles(depending on how I feel) through the foothills above Santa Barbara, ca, beautiful ocean views, hardly any traffic, good climbs and turns(sharpens bike handling skills). That's the Pacific seen over the top of the books. The owner is an artist/sculptor, has around 6 premium view acres and is a very creative guy(obviously!). The roof/bookcovers are copper and the siding/pages are brass($$$)!
The spines of each book in the stacks all have different titles placed on them like the one seen in the pic. Probably be seeing this in some architectural magazines before too long.

Brian
Attached Images
Copy of 7.19.12_B's 051.jpg (100.2 KB, 35 views)
Copy of 7.19.12_B's 046.jpg (103.0 KB, 29 views)
Copy of 7.19.12_B's 045.jpg (102.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by calstar; 07-25-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 01:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by robo
Rode north from Oxford up to Chipping Norton (could there be a more English sounding town name?)...
Chipping Cleghorn? Much Benham? St. Mary Mead?

The muddy wheels and fenders are from an ill-advised foray into Wychwood, where the trails were a mess of sticky mud:
Where they brew a very nice ale, if Im not mistaken.

(Nice pics!)
Old 07-25-12, 02:22 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Here's a pic of me and very little of my Mercian, taken by none other than the Colonel himself during a ride on Long Island a couple of weeks ago:

And during another segment of the ride, for which a Surly Pugsley would have been welcome:
Old 07-25-12, 04:50 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
It's monsoon season down here in the PHX metro area. We had a Haboob hit us on the 21st, and left us rather dusty. At dawn yesterday, we got a big downpour which really helped to improve the air quality. I was itching to ride, so I geared up after dinner for a night time excursion. Bear in mind, some of my route is unlit. Not desired from a safety standpoint. I made do with two LED lights, one flood for nearby, and a CREE projector to light the road ahead. The CREE puts out about 180 lumens, but the pitch black conditions meant they were only 'adequate'. I normally use them on lit streets where they are more than enough.

The ride started in darkness for 2.5 miles, I ran into a pair of riders on horseback on the road! I only realized when one of them was waving a flashlight.
A mile of lit streets followed, then back to unlit road for another mile. I stitched this to my regular local route which is lit and much safer.
The cleared air and humidity made for a very pleasant ride, I wasn't struggling to get air and my output was strong and steady. I put in 22 miles last night in total. Luckily I brought extra batts for the return leg. Boy was it dark! I will need to research and develop a more brighter set up.

2012-05-19-006 by WNG555, on Flickr
Old 07-25-12, 07:54 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Today, I woke up semi-early and rode from home to Middletown MD and back. I rode my favorite steed, the 1950 Norman Rapide and she performed flawlessly as usual. I can definitely say that the more I ride the Rapide, the more I like the bike. Since it first arrived at my door in February it has been ridden 386.7 miles, which outstrips the mileage of all the other bikes in my collection by a ratio of 3:1 or more.

Over the course of the ride I traveled 31.5 miles, climbed 1572 feet and averaged 13.7 MPH. The pace was not blistering by any means, but I know for a fact that hills I encountered and which I walked up about 3 weeks ago, I was able to ride up today. In any case, here are some obligatory shots... Nothing fancy because when I'm focused on riding I tend not to take too many pictures.

Norman Rapide - Middletown Breakfast Run - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Norman Rapide - Middletown Breakfast Run - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Norman Rapide - Middletown Breakfast Run - 3 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Norman Rapide - Middletown Breakfast Run - 4 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr
Old 07-25-12, 07:57 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Still getting to know the riding since moving here, but the English countryside is beautiful. Rode north from Oxford up to Chipping Norton (could there be a more English sounding town name?) and a bit further, to the Rollright Stones, a group of ~5,000 year old stone monuments at the edge of the Cotswolds.

The bike doesn't look very retro beside a 5,500 year old stone circle!

Admiring the view from a random bench by the road. The muddy wheels and fenders are from an ill-advised foray into Wychwood, where the trails were a mess of sticky mud:
That really appears to be some beautiful countryside there robo. What kind of bike were you riding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.