Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Old 06-22-22, 08:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Disc brakes are not better than rim brakes because they’re newer. They’re better because work better.
Old 06-22-22, 08:10 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
The latest carbon fiber is not objectively better than a 1974 Schwinn Paramount.

ATTENTION DISC BRAKE HATERS!!!

Bike Forums has a Classic and Vintage section you can hang out in to discuss your love of rim brakes until the end of time.

Last edited by prj71; 06-22-22 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-22-22, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
ATTENTION DISC BRAKE HATERS!!!
This argument (in this thread and others) about rim brakes vs. disc brakes keeps reminding me of Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson singing Mammas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys, and the line in that song“…he ain’t wrong, he’s just different.” If I’ve been misunderstood, I just want to make clear that I don’t “hate” disc brakes (on bicycles). I just think they’re ‘different’…one not always “better” than the other.

Dan
Old 06-22-22, 08:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
You probably own and use a few tin cans with strings and a rotary dial phone.
Oooooh, that’s a clever comeback!
Old 06-22-22, 09:30 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Oooooh, that’s a clever comeback!
And with that I predict a quick and painless death of this thread.
Old 06-22-22, 09:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
You probably own and use a few tin cans with strings and a rotary dial phone.
No batteries to recharge.
No expensive batteries to replace.
Simple and bombproof.
Easy to repair.
Rotary phones were good enough for Eddie.
Old 06-22-22, 09:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Science can and does make changes in technology. But what science cannot do is create an objective value for these changes. Creating value is the domain of each individual human; value is subjective; what constitutes progress is subjective. There is no telling how a particular individual will experience these pictures; there is no telling what that individual wants in his cycling experience. The latest carbon fiber is not objectively better than a 1974 Schwinn Paramount.
While I may not agree with your premise I do appreciate your injection of Objectivism into this debate. Since Objectivism relies on full, pure, uncontrolled, unregulated laissez-faire capitalism I guess we will let the market decide. This brings us back to the question posed by the OP and effectively answers it.
Old 06-22-22, 10:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Not to belabor the point (but I guess I am), but I think the worship of science as objective is misplaced. One of the most famous books on the theory of science by Thomas Kuhn is The Structure of Scientific Revolutons. Here's a description of his argument:
"the notion of scientific truth, at any given moment, cannot be established solely by objective criteria but is defined by a consensus of a scientific community. Competing paradigms are frequently incommensurable; that is, they are competing and irreconcilable accounts of reality. Thus, our comprehension of science can never rely wholly upon "objectivity" alone. Science must account for subjective perspectives as well, since all objective conclusions are ultimately founded upon the subjective conditioning/worldview of its researchers and participants."
So our idea of what is objectively valuable is occasioned by our, subjective, world view. I think I would argue that our world view includes the idea that change is progress, that complexity is better than simplicity, that world history is a linear road of everything getting better. These are subjective notions that seem like objective truth to those steeped in our world view.

In the world of cycling, the latest invention is the e-bike. Is that objective progress that everyone should now embrace, just like disc brakes? What if they invent a way to shift gears with a simple mental act with no physical movement; would that be objective progress with all previous gear-shifting mechanisms relegated to the category of nostalgia? To claim that the latest invention is objectively better seems like a rhetorical way to impose one's values on everyone else. To say that everyone else is motivated merely by nostalgia is patronizing.
Following your thought; you would probably prefer a car with all drum brakes because they work just fine. I bet you drive a car with disc brakes.

As far as e-bikes, they are getting a whole demographic off their sofas out into the outdoors where they are getting a little exercise which can possibly benefit their health and terrorizing the rest of us. As I have said before, my wife who was an avid road biker, but developed advanced RA, now has an e-bike so she can again enjoy the feeling of being on the road with the wind in her face. It does wonders for her mental health. I personally know another woman road biker who rode from Washington state to San Diego who also has RA that can now only ride an e-bike, so they do provide a service to die-hards who might otherwise be permanently be side-lined.

And you are right, not all the old-tech devotees are not motivated by nostalgia, some love the beauty of the classics or just don’t have the coin to spring for newer tech that costs many thousands of dollars since the classics get them around just fine.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-22-22, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
The Mona Lisa was painted with obsolete paint, brushes, and techniques. Every aspect of oil painting is hyper-technically advanced today compared to when the Mona Lisa was painted. Far greater realism can be obtained today with computers.

Which is considered fine art, a cultural icon and priceless?
Sorry, but a false equivalency. Lets talk apples to apples.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-22-22, 10:19 AM
tomato coupe

Every aspect of oil painting is hyper-technically advanced today compared to when the Mona Lisa was painted.
I think you pegged the ridiculous meter with that statement. It would be difficult to find something that has changed as little as oil painting supplies have in the last 500 years.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-22-22, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
If I had the choice to own an F4U1-D Corsair or an F/A-18, I know what I’d choose. Modern features not withstanding, I’d much rather run our 1941 steam locomotive than the diesel. Some of man’s inventions are timeless.
Ah, but not if you owned a freight railroad trying to make payroll and a profit.

Looking back at the history, it is astonishing how quickly steam locomotives went from being the undisputed king of the rails to being only valuable as scrap. Less than 20 years between the time the Pennsylvania Railroad introduced the beautiful, streamlined, massive S1, the future of passenger steam locomotives, and the late 50s, when railfans were out with movie cameras documenting the end of steam.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-22-22, 11:18 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by genejockey
Looking back at the history, it is astonishing how quickly steam locomotives went from being the undisputed king of the rails to being only valuable as scrap. Less than 20 years between the time the Pennsylvania Railroad introduced the beautiful, streamlined, massive S1, the future of passenger steam locomotives, and the late 50s, when railfans were out with movie cameras documenting the end of steam.
If the railroad industry wasn't so susceptible to marketing pitches, steam would still be king.
Old 06-22-22, 11:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
The composition of the oil paint and the construction of the brushes is FAR different today. The “technology” is different.
Bad comparison. There’s really nothing special about paint brushes or paints. You might think things like air brushes…but even the ancients used an airbrush technique. Among my hobbies, I also a paint (Note: I don’t consider myself an artist, and I’m only self-trained. If you care to view my work, you can see it all here — https://paintingsbydanforce.blogspot.com/). I have basic brushes and tools that I use to apply basic paints to basic canvases. I think that’s the same process(es) that the likes of da Vinci used. I have a fried who actually makes a living as a painter using the same processes. There’s really no “technology” involved.
Sorry…I digress. Back to the brakes discussion.

Dan
Old 06-22-22, 11:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If the railroad industry wasn't so susceptible to marketing pitches, steam would still be king.
That's Big Diesel for ya.
Old 06-22-22, 11:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's Big Diesel for ya.
Beat me to it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-22-22, 11:39 AM
Jv_247

Bikes: Nishiki Trim Master 1989, Torpado MTB ? 1991 , Peugeot PGN-10 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If we talk competitiveness, the new bike is objectively better. if we talk about durability, serviceability, simplicity, maybe not.

That's what bothers me in this debate, is that people take it for granted that there are 40-year-old bikes that are still ridden today.
What about in 2062? Are there bicycles, that are bought in 2022, still in use then? Proprietary parts, integrated cockpits etc... Where get spare parts if manufacturer stopped making bikes 20 years ago?
Old bikes had standard parts that were easy to find and replace and bikes were simple to service. Thats the reason why there are still 40 year old bikes that people still rides.
Old 06-22-22, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

De gustibus non est disputandum, but here we are, 14 pages later.

Old 06-22-22, 12:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Jv_247
If we talk competitiveness, the new bike is objectively better. if we talk about durability, serviceability, simplicity, maybe not.

That's what bothers me in this debate, is that people take it for granted that there are 40-year-old bikes that are still ridden today.
What about in 2062? Are there bicycles, that are bought in 2022, still in use then? Proprietary parts, integrated cockpits etc... Where get spare parts if manufacturer stopped making bikes 20 years ago?
Old bikes had standard parts that were easy to find and replace and bikes were simple to service. Thats the reason why there are still 40 year old bikes that people still rides.
A LOT of the threads on the C&V forum involve people looking for parts that are still in working order to replace parts that have worn out. 40 year old bikes today are kept alive by cannibalizing other 40 year old bikes and parts. For example, I needed to replace the Dura Ace 7200 crankset on the Lotus Supreme I bought, and I found one on Ebay, which had to have been taken off another 40 year old bike.

Old 06-22-22, 12:43 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
A LOT of the threads on the C&V forum involve people looking for parts that are still in working order to replace parts that have worn out. 40 year old bikes today are kept alive by cannibalizing other 40 year old bikes and parts. For example, I needed to replace the Dura Ace 7200 crankset on the Lotus Supreme I bought, and I found one on Ebay, which had to have been taken off another 40 year old bike.
FC-7200 is a fairly standard square-taper crank, you only "had to" use a forty-year-old part because you decided to use an exact period replacement. Most bikes in the 40-year-old range are still extremely well supported in the new-stock replacement part market.
Old 06-22-22, 01:33 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
FC-7200 is a fairly standard square-taper crank, you only "had to" use a forty-year-old part because you decided to use an exact period replacement. Most bikes in the 40-year-old range are still extremely well supported in the new-stock replacement part market.
But they're not really..

===read rant below====

I just pulled a bunch of modern cranks w/CK bottom brackets in favor of modern square taper and it cost me many hundreds of dollars per bike. UN300 and origin 8 bottom brackets are cheap but available in minimum lengths while I'm sure they are quality products (read I dunno) they're not available in all lengths which is fine since they probably hit a vast majority of common sizes. The problem comes in special sizes and/or higher quality, there isn't anything outside of campy that's in between the $20-$30 Shimano/Origin 8 and boutique $150-$250 SKF/WI/Phil/TA. There is NOS and used but those are going to become or have become fairly rare which moves the cost of rebuilding an old bike right buy a great deal. My bike spending habits aren't particularly price sensitive, after all I've pulled two modern CK bottom brackets in favor of TA Ti spindled BB, a WI BB, and an SKF BB simply because the other options NOS or cheap. Bringing this back on subject Shimano (peace be upon them) the eliminated any high-end cable brakes in their most recent generations that leaves SRAM and Campagnolo while both are better IMHO they're harder to get in the states regardless of price.

I'm a guy that has strong opinions, I'm also a guy that's going to be left in a lurch because fairly soon I won't be able to buy modern cable pulled brakes, I like all my über high end/boutique Paul brakes I have both their disc and rim brakes so when push comes to shove my I'll probably be alt whether that be Gevenalle or flats.

====
To the guy that comment on ebikes being objectively better...I own three utility bikes or 15k in bikes that aren't built to be fast, they're built to be car replacements. I'm reasonably fit, I commute ~20 miles round trip, I grocery shop on my bike, basically my bike is my car 5 days a week. Most oldsters to include my 74yo FIL have moved to e-bikes, depending on my next duty station I will switch to an e-cargo bike since they are objectively better if you are a utility cyclist. They extend my reasonable commute range, they increase my reasonable carrying capacity, in every measure that's relevant they are objectively better. to quote RaM " F you I won't do what you tell me". The American cycling community needs to decide what they want; is it more cyclists no matter the bike or more purists..do you want protected bike lanes or not?
Old 06-22-22, 01:50 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
And with that I predict a quick and painless death of this thread.
Nah, we’ll probably see post #400, unless the moderators intervene. Great fun arguing new vs old, or different.
Tim
Old 06-22-22, 02:28 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
UN300 and origin 8 bottom brackets are cheap but available in minimum lengths while I'm sure they are quality products (read I dunno) they're not available in all lengths which is fine since they probably hit a vast majority of common sizes. The problem comes in special sizes and/or higher quality there isn't anything outside of campy that's in between the $20-$30 Shimano/Origin 8 and boutique $150-$250 SKF/WI/Phil/TA.
Have you actually looked very hard? Tange makes a variety of BBs under multiple brands (i.e. IRD) and at multiple quality tiers, for instance.

I'd also question whether a lack of intermediate-tier would actually contradict my point about legacy support, since even the $30-ish products are pretty good. They're often lighter than a 40-year-old adjustable bracket that's being replaced, and they tend to enjoy many years of smooth function with no maintenance.
Old 06-22-22, 02:33 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
The problem comes in special sizes and/or higher quality, there isn't anything outside of campy that's in between the $20-$30 Shimano/Origin 8 and boutique $150-$250 SKF/WI/Phil/TA.
I just bought a 122.5 mm Tange square taper cartridge BB for $36, and a Velo Orange 124mm for $40. Both seem to be of excellent quality.
Old 06-22-22, 03:22 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Have you actually looked very hard? Tange makes a variety of BBs under multiple brands (i.e. IRD) and at multiple quality tiers, for instance.

I'd also question whether a lack of intermediate-tier would actually contradict my point about legacy support, since even the $30-ish products are pretty good. They're often lighter than a 40-year-old adjustable bracket that's being replaced, and they tend to enjoy many years of smooth function with no maintenance.
There is nothing made in the last couple years that wouldn't be better than a 40yo cup and cone. The question is would you take that fairly good new BB and pair it with you ~$400 crank? IMHO you have a decent cartridge BB to pair with pretty great modern square tapers none of which are in any measure high end.

Originally Posted by Rolla
I just bought a 122.5 mm Tange square taper cartridge BB for $36, and a Velo Orange 124mm for $40. Both seem to be of excellent quality.
VO stuff is generally pretty great but again they're as niche as anything I've brought up without the track record. I guess I've probably shouldn't have ignored them since they make a BB with every conceivable configuration
Old 06-22-22, 03:35 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
That's only true if someone is determined to keep their old bike bone stock. Then sure, you have to poke around on eBay looking for good used or NOS parts. But if you just wanted a good square-taper crankset, you probably have more choices now than you did when the bike was new. Did you even look at offerings from Sugino, for Velo Orange, for example? Same thing with square taper bottom brackets. There are PLENTY of choices, from budget to boutique - more choices now than we had back then.

All of my bikes are over 30 years old and I have had no trouble sourcing parts for any of them, whether that be a freewheel, rim brakes, derailleurs and shifters, square taper BBs and cranks, quill stems, you name it. In almost all categories, I think we have more choices now than at any other time. The one exception I can think of is 27" tires - we don't have more choices but those that are still many excellent choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.