Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 04:51 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
What Size did you order?

Posting the same thing in TWO Threads becomes confusing to those that answer.

Old 07-10-21, 04:53 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
54cm
sorry, rookie mistake
won’t happen again
Old 07-10-21, 04:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Many Happy Safe Miles ahead for you.

Old 07-10-21, 04:57 AM
Jtmav

Key word there is Safe, had one spill last year so I am conscious of falling, but still try and get a good workout in when I ride.
thanks for the kind thoughts
Jim
Old 07-10-21, 05:02 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Jtmav
Key word there is Safe, had one spill last year so I am conscious of falling, but still try and get a good workout in when I ride.
thanks for the kind thoughts
Jim
Please use the Largest Size tires your bike will take.
I hit a crack and Crashed at 16 Mph onto my Helmeted Head w 700 x 23 tires.
Caused a Brain Bleed and emergency surgery to Stop the bleed. 72 y/o old at the time.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-10-21, 08:29 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Have really fallen in love with the sport and still compete with myself as far as times go.
I ran for many years up into my late 50's with a similar result, knees and back trouble to this day, now 70. I would strongly recommend a professional fit and go so far as to say some shops do a sorta get you going fit and some will better help your particular physical condition and age so asking around might be worth your while.
Old 07-11-21, 04:53 AM
Jtmav

I had to wait 24 hrs before I could reply according to the rules here. The LBS I ordered the bike from is a long term fixture here. They offer three different levels of fitting services and I have already put in my request. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-12-21, 03:25 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Friend of mine, younger than me (he is 69), is opposed to getting the vax whereas I've had both jabs and everyone else I know has as well and does not regret it. Not sure how many people believe as I do as I saw many wearing masks on bicycle rides when it was not necessary even during the early part of the pandemic but, I rarely see people wearing masks on bike rides now so I assume they're all vaccinated. My feeling is, everyone should have the choice unless their job puts them in contact with fragile persons who cannot get vaccinated. Fears of the vax seem mostly to be based on misinformation and outright negative fear-mongering propaganda, the latest example of which I noticed was an article based on research that had been retracted as it had misinterpreted the data in a Norwegian database incorrectly and came to erroneous conclusions that were not supported by the data nor the science. My guess is, all the cyclists in the Tour de France are vaccinated or many certainly will come down with covid-19 with all the people standing on the side of the road shouting and sometimes, actually screaming within inches of the faces of riders as they pass by. I enjoy watching the TDF and the current one has been the best of'm all but most of the fans that line the roads seem like idiots to me but then, I'm nearing 72 so to them I guess I'm just a grumpy albeit open-minded old man on wheels with common sense and appreciation for science. Seems odd to me though that after a stage, participants will be interviewed and they'll be wearing masks despite all that they've been exposed to for hours beforehand. If all of the cyclists have been vaccinated I wish they would publicize that fact as it might help overcome the vaccine hesitancy among those in the population who are concerned about getting immunized.

Last edited by McBTC; 07-12-21 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For McBTC:
Old 07-12-21, 05:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Seems odd to me though that after a stage, participants will be interviewed and they'll be wearing masks despite all that they've been exposed to for hours beforehand. If all of the cyclists have been vaccinated I wish they would publicize that fact as it might help overcome the vaccine hesitancy among those in the population who are concerned about getting immunized.
I don't know about the "vaccine hesitancy" in Europe or among those in the European population who attend or eagerly watch the TDF or closely follow such races, or what might influence such people to overcome that hesitancy.
I suspect that most of the U.S. based population that is vocal (and often proud) about its so-called "vaccine hesitancy" couldn't care less about the TDF, the participants or what cyclists anywhere might say or do about COVID 19.
Old 07-15-21, 10:03 AM
McBTC

Given back-to-back wins of the two toughest mountain stages, there should be calls to restore the first 2 of Lance Armstrong's 7 TDF wins if Tadej Pogačar takes 2 TDF wins in a row which is starting to look more than likely.
Old 07-15-21, 10:14 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Given back-to-back wins of the two toughest mountain stages, there should be calls to restore the first 2 of Lance Armstrong's 7 TDF wins if Tadej Pogačar takes 2 TDF wins in a row which is starting to look more than likely.

Why? Give us a logical reason for that.
BTW "they all cheat and dope" wouldn't be the right one.
Old 07-16-21, 10:16 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Why? Give us a logical reason for that.
BTW "they all cheat and dope" wouldn't be the right one.
Google, 'doping Slovenia,' and you get a lot of hits like for example, this from a March 2019 Cycling News--
Erzen has worked with a large number of professional riders from his native Slovenia, including Giro d’Italia race favourite Primoz Roglic, who raced for Eržen’s Adria Mobil Continental team between 2013 and 2015.
Lot of articles about doping in Slovenian hockey.

No such rumors concerning LA back in '99 or '00...

The doping pros are always a step ahead of the anti-doping authorities. I suppose we'll all know in a few years looking back but, looking back now to 1999/2000, there's zero evidence LA doped back then. Who's to say he wasn't clean such that his entire professional career should be erased as if it never existed.

I guess we know what UAE's stand on alcohol use would be but how seriously does it take doping. I have no clue. I Googled it and saw this about a UAE team failing an out of season doping test...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uae-team-colombia-shut-operations-after-doping-positive/
​​​​​​

The invasion of the Bahrain team's privacy yesterday by TdF officials, accompanied by the police, apparently was in response to allegations in the French press. They didn't find anything. So, what if Bahrain's team was this year's winner and was caught doing drugs in a TdF 5 years from now-- should disqualification include canceling wins 5 years earlier even tho there was no evidence of drug use then?

The 1998 TdF win by Pantani was not stripped. Rather than saying it should have been stripped, I am questioning whether earlier wins by LA should be stripped even tho there's was no evidence of doping.

Googled this (found in an article about Tadej Pogačar's coach)--

Given the era he rode in, [Allan] Peiper was at the sharp end of doping, a subject he is non-judgemental about. He frequently offers the excuse that the problem is two-fold: first, drugs have always been part of the sport; second, there is so much pressure on riders that it's inevitable that they dope. Of his own experience with doping he says "I tried to ride clean, most of the time."

Last edited by McBTC; 07-17-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-21, 06:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
IDK ... I don't hear many Covid-19 anti-vaxxers arguing that schools can't mandate vaccines against measles, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, polio (and whatever else has been added since 1978 when my kid started school). And we see extremely high percentages of dying and hospitalized people (at very high cost ) coming from the unvaccinated population. My bet is that a lot of today's Covid-19 anti-vaxxers will get jabbed, especially if it's publicized that some of the Covid-19-is-fake leadership got themselves vaxxed.

I'm writing about double standards and hypocrisy hear, not about politics.
Old 07-19-21, 02:55 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
IDK ... I don't hear many Covid-19 anti-vaxxers arguing that schools can't mandate vaccines against measles, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, polio (and whatever else has been added since 1978 when my kid started school). And we see extremely high percentages of dying and hospitalized people (at very high cost ) coming from the unvaccinated population. My bet is that a lot of today's Covid-19 anti-vaxxers will get jabbed, especially if it's publicized that some of the Covid-19-is-fake leadership got themselves vaxxed.

I'm writing about double standards and hypocrisy hear, not about politics.
How are double standards and hypocrisy not politics?
Old 07-19-21, 07:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
How is discussion of minutia about pro cycling's and pro cyclists' doping issues as well as TDF results relevant to this subforum and/or sticky thread?

Is this an indication that the 65-85 thread is a Foo-like thread for old timers?
Old 07-19-21, 10:18 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How is discussion of minutia about pro cycling's and pro cyclists' doping issues as well as TDF results relevant to this subforum and/or sticky thread?

Is this an indication that the 65-85 thread is a Foo-like thread for old timers?
Very nostalgic even if one only competed in group races at the local level.
Old 07-19-21, 10:42 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

.........................................................Glad to say I am still improving but of course that’s from a pretty slow base. Look forward to spending a little time here learning from some of the wisdom that seems to be present, especially with this group.

Jim
I got back to the "pack" in a bigger way last year, at 75 I was determined that even old fools can fool around.
Just as our XC skiing venue was forced to close down because of Covid19 I allowed myself a couple of weeks before switching over to cycling.
Our Rail Trail opened back in Sept 2018; maximum grade that my bike computer indicates <2%. At first my attitude was "meh" too flat, but I soon learned that it was the cat's meow to add kilometres and have a consistent base to compare to.
Total for last years outdoors season 3120km, that also included one day a week heading for the hilly road courses around here.

cheers

HJ

P:S The side benefit was minimal start-up ramp to get to the previous season's rhythm and speed on the snow, this despite the 1200m elevation difference between the valley bottom and the mountain where we ski.

Last edited by OldRailfan; 07-19-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-20-21, 03:09 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Very nostalgic even if one only competed in group races at the local level.
Phil Liggett is 77, Bobke is only 61 but Eddy Merckx is 76... if he hadn't died, Paul Sherwin would be 65. This latest Tour was the best I've seen and I've been following it since the '90s and having it unfold live is fairly exceptional, I think but... I'm old now so little things amaze me.

Last edited by McBTC; 07-20-21 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 10:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
I like Phil & Bobke & company.
but it is kinda lightweight stuff for the American market., but given the hours to talk away - highlighting a French ASO video feed, they get the job done with Chris & Christian.
Thank you NBCSN.
Old 07-24-21, 06:00 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

Yes.

Old 07-25-21, 06:39 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Yes.

... and a cigar is not bad after a ride...
Old 07-30-21, 02:50 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I like Phil & Bobke & company.
but it is kinda lightweight stuff for the American market., but given the hours to talk away - highlighting a French ASO video feed, they get the job done with Chris & Christian.
Thank you NBCSN.
The Pecock feed didn't have commercials but the announcers and the production values were poor quality. Great tidbits of info on the NBC main feed, and with Phil announcing it feels like a Grand Tour. Only problem is that he can't keep riders straight, can't watch the feed and comment at the same time and he can't get out a clear sentence if something exciting happens. I thought the guy on the motorbike did a MUCH better job this year than last. I miss Jens Voigt and note he's now at Eurosport. With the pending demise of NBC Sports (moving everything to the USA Network and Peacock) the big days of cycling on network TV in the US are probably over. Another reason to ditch DirectTV and just go with a hodgepodge of subscriptions over the internet.
Likes For Terex:
Old 07-30-21, 04:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
... and a cigar is not bad after a ride...
Wine and cigar after a ride?
(especially a red with no legs)
oh, pshaw --

After pounding 25 or more miles give me - beer, joint, beer and probably a cooling shower.

But not just any beer.
Luminous at 10% alc/vol, for a starter

Tart IPA w strawberry and coconut overtones.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-30-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 07:25 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Merrimac
Boomers are those born after WWII. In 1946. People who are now 75. This thread seems to have little relevance to cycling. Sorry I signed up for it,
Check your math, you quoted Retro's post from 2008 which would make a Boomer only 62.
Old 08-02-21, 09:27 AM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Check your math, you quoted Retro's post from 2008 which would make a Boomer only 62.
My apologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.