Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 02:42 PM
oldster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Kcarbon
Funny how times change. As a teenager my buddies and I had plain basic stiff-soled bike shoes and we rode strapped into clips (that was in Europe), but in the seventies, when I started riding again at 40+ (in California), I went to the biggest LBS in the SF bay area to buy a pair of bike shoes. They offered me a single pair of overpriced Italian shoes, one size only (5 sizes too large for me), and I had to go home empty handed. Most shops never heard of bike shoes, let alone stock any. Now they act as if you would die without them! How times change - they discovered Latte and bike shoes!
I use whatever shoe will fit into my toe clips and straps,makes it harder to join club tombay and certianly cheaper.and my Italian Gianni Motta does not notice
Bud
Bud
Old 05-25-12, 01:29 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
7 weeks into my retirement and how do you all find time to ride?

Gardening- house maintenance- Campavan to sort out (Take that as a complete rebuild) Grandchildren to mind- Mates bikes to sort out---etc.

I am riding more and getting some of my lost fitness back and I am up to between 100 and 150 miles a week depending on weather and how I feel.

I'll be honest and tell you that if I knew how busy retirement was going to be-I would not have gone for it. The non working bit is fine- it's all the other jobs that go with it.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-25-12, 01:30 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Double post so sorry.BF or my fingers messing about--Or the brain

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-25-12 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 06:24 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
7 weeks into my retirement and how do you all find time to ride?

Gardening- house maintenance- Campavan to sort out (Take that as a complete rebuild) Grandchildren to mind- Mates bikes to sort out---etc.
Here's how I do it.
Gardening: My wife does some, I do some, and the yard service does the big stuff.
House maintenance: We had our whole house remodeled in 2010 so not a worry.
Campavan: Not sure what that is but we only own two cars and gave up camping many, many years ago. If we go on vacation we stay in a hotel or B&B.
Grandchildren: They all live in Florida, New York, South Carolina and Brazil.
Mates bikes to sort out: Not many people in my neighborhood ride a bike. The few that do ride are still working and ride after work and/or on the weekend.

Glad you're riding more.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-25-12, 09:09 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No garden, and I hate gardening, and use a lawn service.

No grandchildren

Stay in motels, etc.

But, spend an inordinate amount of time enriching the medical and dental professions in regards to my wife's pain, etc.

Spend mucho time on my state and national advocacy work.
Old 05-25-12, 03:54 PM
Andy Stanton

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost 62 and my wife is 66. I'd love to get her into biking and I'm trying to subtly (maybe not so subtly) get her to realize what a great, satisfying activity it is. She's resisting but I'm hoping if I keep trying she'll agree to give it a whirl. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-12, 04:10 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andy Stanton
I'm almost 62 and my wife is 66. I'd love to get her into biking and I'm trying to subtly (maybe not so subtly) get her to realize what a great, satisfying activity it is. She's resisting but I'm hoping if I keep trying she'll agree to give it a whirl. Any suggestions?
It has to be her decision. If she does, ride at her speed, distance, and include a stop like a treat or a park where you share food, etc.

My wife is almost 75. We did a great 8 mile ride today, BUT ON HER TERMS. I find it best to follow her and let her lead (she does not feel safe side by side).

Never push her for faster or longer or more. She will be doing the best she can, and will immediately turn off if she thinks you are criticizing her by giving her advice she doesn't want. And, praise, praise, praise.

Make sure her bike is easy to handle.
Old 05-25-12, 04:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My wife was cycling as her means of transport before me. I had a car- she didn't.

But a neighbour of mine showed an interest in cycling. Not for cycling as a sport but he saw how fit myself and a couple of other riders were and it was the fitness he wanted---not the cycling. I set a bike up for him and told him to collect it any time from the shed. Took a year before he was cajoled into taking it out and that was when another neighbour bought a bike to get fit and came out with me a few times.Cut a long story short and he took the bike out and just rode the local mup. Flat smooth route and he struggled. I took him out one evening and found he was going too fast- in the wrong gear and I bought him a pint after 5 miles. Ride back was better and he continued riding. 4 months later he bought his own bike and I have been trying to catch him ever since.

The problem is getting that first ride. Find a girl friend of hers-or yours- that rides and get her to suggest a ride one day. May take a while but you know if she does give it a try then it can go one of two ways. She will either love it once the butt ache gets overcome- or she will throw the bike at you.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-25-12, 04:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My wife said that if we lived in Florida or some place flat she'd give it a try.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-27-12, 05:58 PM
Jawihan

Bikes: too many to list mostly 3 speeds and road bikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello everyone. I figure I should drop in and introduce myself to all the other "mature" cyclists on here. I started cycling two years ago (I am now 68). I hadn't done any cycling since I was a kid. I now ride my road bike (a vintage 12 speed Velo Sport) 3 to 4 times a week. Today I completed my first metric century as a preparation for a Share The Road Ride next week. I had to make sure I could do it as it would have been embarrassing to have to quit part way through. I'm sure the aches and stiffness I feel now will probably feel worse in the morning, but I am happy to know that I will be able to complete the ride.
Around here I see a lot more senior road cyclists than I noticed when I started a couple of years ago and that is a good sign. Thanks for letting me bend your ears.
James
Old 05-27-12, 06:01 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Good effort James.

I take a couple of aspirins after hard rides.

Helps me get a good nights sleep.

Old 05-27-12, 06:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Jawihan
Hello everyone. I figure I should drop in and introduce myself to all the other "mature" cyclists on here. I started cycling two years ago (I am now 68). I hadn't done any cycling since I was a kid. I now ride my road bike (a vintage 12 speed Velo Sport) 3 to 4 times a week. Today I completed my first metric century as a preparation for a Share The Road Ride next week. I had to make sure I could do it as it would have been embarrassing to have to quit part way through. I'm sure the aches and stiffness I feel now will probably feel worse in the morning, but I am happy to know that I will be able to complete the ride.
Around here I see a lot more senior road cyclists than I noticed when I started a couple of years ago and that is a good sign. Thanks for letting me bend your ears.
James
Hi and welcome

A metric century is a real accomplishment, and congratulations - especially on a 12 speed older and heavier bike.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-28-12, 06:59 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Here's how I do it.
Gardening: My wife does some, I do some, and the yard service does the big stuff.
House maintenance: We had our whole house remodeled in 2010 so not a worry.
Campavan: Not sure what that is but we only own two cars and gave up camping many, many years ago. If we go on vacation we stay in a hotel or B&B.
Grandchildren: They all live in Florida, New York, South Carolina and Brazil.
Mates bikes to sort out: Not many people in my neighborhood ride a bike. The few that do ride are still working and ride after work and/or on the weekend.

Glad you're riding more.

Won't be good for long stays but with an Awning attached it will give us the freedom that camping gives over Hotels.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-12, 07:09 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Won't be good for long stays but with an Awning attached it will give us the freedom that camping gives over Hotels.
And that is a classic!!
Old 05-28-12, 08:43 AM
Andy Stanton

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It has to be her decision. If she does, ride at her speed, distance, and include a stop like a treat or a park where you share food, etc.

My wife is almost 75. We did a great 8 mile ride today, BUT ON HER TERMS. I find it best to follow her and let her lead (she does not feel safe side by side).

Never push her for faster or longer or more. She will be doing the best she can, and will immediately turn off if she thinks you are criticizing her by giving her advice she doesn't want. And, praise, praise, praise.

Make sure her bike is easy to handle.
Great advice. She mentioned to me again, this morning, about possibly getting a bike. I'm going to take it slow and easy and not pressure her. I think she's coming around but, as you mentioned, it will have to be on her terms.
Old 05-28-12, 09:08 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Great advice. She mentioned to me again, this morning, about possibly getting a bike. I'm going to take it slow and easy and not pressure her. I think she's coming around but, as you mentioned, it will have to be on her terms.
Let her choose HER bike (ownership and all that) - and also that way you don't get blamed
Old 05-28-12, 09:38 AM
vanwormer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The idea of a short ride with a nice stop halfway through is great! Lunch, or an ice cream cone, or just a rest in a peaceful park is a wonderful reward for a new rider. Pick a quiet route on a day when most others are at work, and it'll be even more enjoyable for her.
Old 05-28-12, 10:55 AM
DeadTiredDavid

Bikes: 1986 Trek 720, 1986 Trek 520, two sets of plumbing pipes on wheels assembled somewhere in China by Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Hellen Keller.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I'm retired, I don't know how I found time for a career.
Old 06-01-12, 11:19 PM
aja8888

Bikes: Giant Escape 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new here. I rode bikes long ago. Today, I bought my 32 year old daughter a Giant Hybrid (I think) for her birthday. After being in that bike shop with all that neat hardware, I have an itch to get a bike for me and start peddling again. I used to be a long distance runner so I know what being in good shape is (but that's not me today at almost 69). Any suggestions on a bike for suburban roads and flat trails (no hills here)?
Old 06-02-12, 05:35 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by aja8888
I am new here. I rode bikes long ago. Today, I bought my 32 year old daughter a Giant Hybrid (I think) for her birthday. After being in that bike shop with all that neat hardware, I have an itch to get a bike for me and start peddling again. I used to be a long distance runner so I know what being in good shape is (but that's not me today at almost 69). Any suggestions on a bike for suburban roads and flat trails (no hills here)?
Welcome.

Start by reading the "sticky" for a newbie rider above.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...0-newbie-rider

Almost any bike can ride trails.
Old 06-02-12, 09:33 AM
3Kcarbon

Bikes: own builds on 3K frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aja8888
Hi, aja888 - and welcome back to bicycles! Why don't you take a look at mine!
Old 06-02-12, 11:02 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Have you thought of trying a tandem?
Old 06-02-12, 11:08 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts

Congrats on your retirement, Stapfam. Get someone else to do the things you don't like doing, like gardening, and get out more on your bikes and your VW RV (Recreational Vehicle. Nice. Many many years ago, when the boys were in their early teens, we had a RV on a Ford Transit base and enjoyed many weeks and miles in the UK and on the Continent in it). How do you carry your bike on the RV?
Old 06-02-12, 12:36 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be having my 66th birthday on June 23rd. These last 3years have really taken a toll on the health that I had been enjoying for solong. I can still ride around the neighborhood a few blocks but that's aboutit.
Old 06-02-12, 12:39 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And that is a classic!!
Not even close. This is what a real classic looks like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.