Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 03-11-20, 08:07 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 913:

24F with a light wind. It got into the low 30s and rained for a good chunk of yesterday, so this morning it prompted this conversation:

Me staring out the window: "It looks pretty icy out there today."
Wife: "Thankfully you don't have far to go."
Me: "Yes, it's only about three feet to the ground."

Thankfully I went slow and made it with no incidents.
Old 03-11-20, 08:45 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Not being as robust as some here today is my first commute for the season, and the first commute on the third incarnation of my Raleigh International - this time as an internal-geared upright townie. Even though I've been doing weekend errands on my bike and a couple of longer rides in the 20-25 mile range, I was a bit out of breath with the morning headwinds adding to the small rollers in Central Park. But it sure feels good to ride to work and this may be the earliest start in recent years.
I don't think it's robustness as much as insanity?! That's a beautiful bike and reminds me how grateful I am that I can store my bike inside. I'd be worried all day about leaving mine locked outside. I don't mind rain when I'm prepared for it. There was 0% chance of rain this 40 degree morning, but there was a foggy, spitting drizzle that was a lot wetter than I expected... so didn't wear rain gear. YUCK!
Old 03-11-20, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
It's amazing how little it takes to make me happy while I'm riding a bike. Last night there was a heavy overcast, but it wasn't raining. I took a longer way home (DST, of course!) along a high-speed road. Just about the time I got off that road, there was a hole in the clouds and SUNSHINE!

This morning started out as more of the same way (minus heavy traffic). Halfway to work, the sun broke through. Slightly golden morning sun hitting the mist on the ridge to the west -- that was beautiful. I had a thought that if I were driving, the most it would have registered would have been, "Huh. Sunshine." Instead I had time to enjoy the light, the scenery, and of course the fresh (mostly dry) air.
Old 03-11-20, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
40F, dry, cool green flash in clouds above sunrise
Likes For HardyWeinberg:
Old 03-11-20, 05:13 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
Did commute after a long layoff. Had to do hard reboot on my pcs at the company.
Showers on early morning, so went after that and showers around noon and came home around 1 PM. My eyes are all itchy because of pollen nevertheless.
Old 03-12-20, 05:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Chain Snapped?!

During this morning's ride in, I felt what I thought was a stiff link. Friction shifting on my 1988 Fuji Saratoga tourer, I couldn't seem to adjust out the sensation of skipping or jumping. Weird. So I continued and "light pedaled" my way in.

About a mile and a half from my work site, the chain let go completely. The quick link was gone. Fortunately, the chain doesn't seem to be bent, and the derailleur is okay. I guess that quick links do fail, but I would have said rarely-to-never.
Old 03-12-20, 06:40 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Me staring out the window: "It looks pretty icy out there today."
Wife: "Thankfully you don't have far to go."
Me: "Yes, it's only about three feet to the ground."

About one-half mile from one intersection, I was noticing more cars than usual coming from the opposite direction. I guessed there was a detour for some reason. That reason was an vehicle accident of some sort. It was still mostly dark and I had to keep moving as a police officer was directing traffic. All I saw was a minivan with the passenger door open. I think maybe the driver's airbag had deployed.

Crazy about the NBA suspending their season. So many events, travel, etc. getting cancelled too.
Old 03-12-20, 10:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Just a nice sunny spring morning here.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-12-20, 08:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Rainy and solitary are how I'd describe the commute, both of them. Between tele-commuting and oversleeping I only got a couple of days bike commuting , which feels strange after never really missing a day for about 5 years. But you gotta take it as it comes I guess.

The company I'm contracting to is announcing flexible work from home for everyone who's concerned about coronavirus if their jobs allow, So I may have even fewer bike commutes in the near future. If the weather turns nice though I'm sure I'll be risking it.
Old 03-13-20, 07:37 AM
mgw4jc

The clouds did not agree with the forecast that said 0% chance or precipitation at 7am. Instead they continued to drizzle and sprinkle rain drops onto this commuter. A nice 66F though. Starting out, I thought I probably should have worn a jacket, but as I warmed up I'm glad I didn't. The wind was enough that I was pretty much dry even after 14 miles in the drizzle.
Old 03-13-20, 09:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Got a late start, but it worked out well since the rain had pretty much stopped by the time I got out on the bike.

Had to do a lap of the complex on the bike to find where I parked the car yesterday, in case I need it later today. Is that warped or what? (It's a bit over a mile and a quarter around the parking lot, FWIW.)
Old 03-13-20, 10:05 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Poor ride home yesterday. I was going to take my long MTB route but was feeling bum-tickery for the first half. By the second half when I felt better, I was running late and my morale was low, so I just got on the street and took it easy the rest of the way.
Old 03-13-20, 11:53 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
35F, snowing. 12 mile ride to MD appt and then to office. Last day of school for my daughter, her district closes indefinitely on Monday. Son home from college last night. His finals are online next week, then spring break, then we find out if they reopen or not.

Old 03-13-20, 03:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well...yesterday was my last commute for a while.

For some reason I decided to drive today (a really rare occurrence), only to learn that after this weekend, my office will be shut down for the next month. It was helpful to have the vehicle to pack up books...papers...clothes...and really everything I'll need to be productive from home for a while.

Take care y'all, and I'll see you on the other side...
Old 03-14-20, 09:45 AM
wphamilton

Ah, our CEO toned it down on the final announcement, the gist being if you felt like you really had to, and your managers sign off, you have some flexibility to work from home. I'd read the initial draft because I just finished with the COVID-19 Information site for the company - and that was a rush job, a week to develop and go live world wide; no pressure there. But my bike commuting is not so endangered I think
Old 03-14-20, 09:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I honestly expected the announcement to come when the markets closed, that's when they usually deliver bad news. But nothing. My kid is out of school (and we're not taking him or his sibs to daycare), and I'm adjusting my schedule, but work is still on.

Edit: just realized this means that I could bike again, since I'm not picking up the rugrats. Will have to sound out SWMBO

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-14-20 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 07:36 PM
CJ Str3tch

Bikes: GIANT Defy Advance Pro 1, Giant ToughRoad SL1,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So with this virus craze thing, my work is saying to stay home and not come in. This brings a hamper to my commuting. So, does that mean that if I ride from home early in the morning back home before working (or even after work) that it doesn't constitute a commute? I think I know the answer, but what the heck!!
Old 03-16-20, 04:47 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
A very pleasant but chilly temp was 25 f degrees in this morning with clear dark skies. I had in my head if it was 25 degrees I would ride but if it was 15 degrees I would not. Well it was 25 degrees by what my phone said, but the thermometer on the bank as I passed it this am read 21 degrees . I did not plan for the in between numbers and I was out riding anyway, so I enjoyed my ride.
Old 03-16-20, 07:10 AM
wphamilton

Really light traffic, partly because I left early and also fewer people going to offices here. I avoided the MUP this time; I just didn't feel like dealing with mud spots from the overnight precipitation, even though I have fenders and shoe covers.

Our corporate stance changed yet again over the weekend and we're actively encouraging work from home now, but I wanted to monitor how many people were coming to the office. Also wanted the commute since it's not raining.
Old 03-16-20, 07:14 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by CJ Str3tch
So with this virus craze thing, my work is saying to stay home and not come in. This brings a hamper to my commuting. So, does that mean that if I ride from home early in the morning back home before working (or even after work) that it doesn't constitute a commute? I think I know the answer, but what the heck!!
You must drive to the office, bike home, work, and then bike back to the office. Makes perfect sense!

My company has never allowed remote work except for those who travel. I had to pop in to the office over the weekend for about an hour. While here, the IT guy gave me instructions on how to work from home. I drove in today because I spent most of the weekend moving from one house to another and am a bit beat up so figured a day off from riding wouldn't hurt. I'm hearing the boss is trying to "thin out" the office which likely means I'll be working from home.

Guess I'll drive to the office and bike home like CJ to get my miles in.
Old 03-16-20, 07:42 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 816:

32F this morning with a light tail wind. The forecast said no precipitation today, but the whole ride to work had a drizzle that was right at the point where it couldn't decide if it wanted to be rain or sleet. Made for some slick spots on the pavement in places, so I just took it easy. I still rode my hybrid as it supposed to get into the mid-30s today so there shouldn't be any ice problems on the way home.

The client I'm working for right now has a possibility that they may have people start working from home. However with my employer there's pretty much a 0% chance they'll have us work from home so if the client makes the decision I'll just end up working remotely from our company office. But I guess I'll still be getting my commute miles in.

Put together my latest compilation of GoPro clips:
Old 03-16-20, 07:43 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I noticed less traffic on the trails last week but today it was really obvious on the roads. Dramatically less traffic - kinda spooky
Old 03-16-20, 08:14 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by arsprod
I noticed less traffic on the trails last week but today it was really obvious on the roads. Dramatically less traffic - kinda spooky
I noticed that as well this morning when I reached downtown. My first thought was that somehow I was running way late, but I looked at the clock and it was still prior to 8 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 09:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

After six weeks of dry, we now are in the middle of a solid ten days of rain. The ski resorts up the hill from here are crying into their syrupy craft beers - feet of powder and they are closed.

I could have ridden in principle, but after kicking off my fender two weeks back, I never reinstalled it, and had left it at work! And it's raining enough to get drenched, not showers. So I drove anyhow. I brought my bike and it's forecast to let up a bit around lunchtime so there might be a workout

Edit - week's forecast has shifted to cloudy the rest of the week, rain maybe coming back next weekend. It's irritating, we need the water more than I need to ride my bike and I had already kind of internalized it.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-16-20 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 06:10 AM
wphamilton

It's now "work from home" for the duration. Offices aren't "closed" locally but already in London, NY, California, and more continuing, We are "instructed to work from home", so it's no more bike commuting for a while

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.