Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hints and tricks thread

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hints and tricks thread

Old 02-08-09, 02:31 AM
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've levered a stubborn tire on the rim and are about to inflate it when you notice the tube is misaligned so the valve stem is canted over at an angle -- and grabbing and pulling on the tire doesn't seem to help.

Put the wheel back on the bike completely deflated, spin it up by hand as fast as you can in the direction the valve is pointed, then grab the brakes so the wheel stops suddenly. Repeat a few times and the valve will be aligned.
Old 02-10-09, 08:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by zzyzx_xyzzy
You've levered a stubborn tire on the rim and are about to inflate it when you notice the tube is misaligned so the valve stem is canted over at an angle -- and grabbing and pulling on the tire doesn't seem to help.

Put the wheel back on the bike completely deflated, spin it up by hand as fast as you can in the direction the valve is pointed, then grab the brakes so the wheel stops suddenly. Repeat a few times and the valve will be aligned.
Works best if you remembered to use talc on the tire/tube before installation.
Old 02-13-09, 11:04 PM
nigelbison
thanks Karl Von Draise

Bikes: 2004 giant iguana, 1993 Custom Steel Mikkelesen frame w/Campagnolo C-record, 2009 Trek Soho

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
dont throw anthing away before you know you can get are placement
Old 03-22-09, 02:14 PM
gavtatu

Bikes: lowracer, highracer, moving bottom bracket, 2 tall bikesl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont tell the wife this, but as most of what i use is from the scrapyard, i chuck all bits i can fit, in the dishwasher!
Old 03-26-09, 10:12 AM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To cut brake and der. cables:

Use a Hammer and a sharp chisel. Lay the cable on another hammer/piece of hard metal. etc. Hold chisel where you want it cut and ...wackkkk with the hammer. This actually cuts the cable very well!
Old 03-26-09, 03:25 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
To cut brake and der. cables:

Use a Hammer and a sharp chisel. Lay the cable on another hammer/piece of hard metal. etc. Hold chisel where you want it cut and ...wackkkk with the hammer. This actually cuts the cable very well!
I do most of my cable cutting with the cable in the housing on the bike. Can I use the frame as a back stop for the chisel?
Old 03-30-09, 05:26 AM
bonaparlare

Bikes: GT, Rockhopper & Orbit Silver Medal (brit)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding using the frame as a back stop when cable cutting with a hammer and chisel, I once drilled an extra hole in a mudguard (fender?) with everything in situ and put the bloody drill straight through the tyre. Such stupidity isn't within the grasp of everybody.
Old 04-06-09, 09:32 PM
pac819

Bikes: colnago master olympic, fondriest tf1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol in the dishwasher haha!
Old 04-17-09, 06:47 AM
lusterwand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
double duty

That splined BB remover can be held in place with the threaded driver from your chain tool.
Check thread compatibility first, wont work with short chaindriver / axle combos.
It doesnt grab deep but a couple of turns is all you need to hold it on and allow purchase on those stubborn (particularly drive side) fixed cups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fallingdale.jpg (90.6 KB, 355 views)
Old 04-20-09, 06:01 AM
bonaparlare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lusterwand
That splined BB remover can be held in place with the threaded driver from your chain tool.
Check thread compatibility first, wont work with short chaindriver / axle combos.
It doesnt grab deep but a couple of turns is all you need to hold it on and allow purchase on those stubborn (particularly drive side) fixed cups.
Am I missing something here? Surely, once you have the cranks off, all you need do is hold the bb tool in place by loosely reattaching the crank bolts? You have to keep loosening the bolt as the bb tool moves the bottom bracket out.
Old 04-20-09, 06:57 PM
lusterwand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the BB tool shown, crank bolts arent long enough reach the axle.
Old 04-22-09, 01:22 AM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use your fingers to get nuts and bolts started, then use the wrench to tighten. Works every time.
Old 05-11-09, 09:38 PM
arguscanis

Bikes: Bianchis, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Lemon (or any of the other flavors) Pledge sprayed on a cleanish rag for a quik bike cleanup. It will clean as it protects.
I also use it on my fishing rods several times a year.
Old 05-13-09, 11:36 AM
RyStan

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale R500 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My trunk rack (for three bikes) doubles as a repair stand
Old 05-20-09, 05:15 PM
tbrtbx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lusterwand
Here's another way : You can also use a QR skewer + a washer to hold it in place, putting it all the way thru the axle! Also a G-Clamp works well but not everyone has one of these.
Old 05-29-09, 03:05 PM
0speedbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little trick that I found handy when fix'n friends' bikes that required tools that I didn't need for my family's bikes was to buy them- not from my LBS - but from one of those faceless corporate uber stores w/ a no-questions-asked return policy. That way, when I'm done with the tool, I just return it for my $ back or trade it for an other tool that I need for an other freind's bike.
Old 05-30-09, 12:03 PM
Geordi Laforge
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 0speedbike
A little trick that I found handy when fix'n friends' bikes that required tools that I didn't need for my family's bikes was to buy them- not from my LBS - but from one of those faceless corporate uber stores w/ a no-questions-asked return policy. That way, when I'm done with the tool, I just return it for my $ back or trade it for an other tool that I need for an other freind's bike.
more often than not, when a customer returns an item to a big chain store, the item is shipped across the country to a service hub where the item is inspected or refurbished and then shipped back to a store. But more often, the item is simply disposed of "properly" at the service hub to avoid liability or QC problems. So, by returning that $15 chain whip that you think you'll only use once, it gets shipped all around wasting fuel and then destroyed and thrown into a dumpster bound for a landfill.

Seems awfully wasteful when you could just purchase the tool once and add to your collection and not have to run around scamming retail stores to save a few bucks.
Old 05-30-09, 12:09 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge
Seems awfully wasteful when you could just purchase the tool once and
add to your collection and not have to run around scamming retail stores to save a few bucks.
Well said.
Old 06-01-09, 07:35 AM
bonaparlare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scamming retail stores to save a few bucks. Quite sad, really, although I imagine the morality issue is of no concern to someone mean enough to "peel a fart", as my grandfather used to say.
Old 06-01-09, 08:44 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a strong suspicion that such tools are not reinspected, given the quality of the products in the first place.
Old 06-04-09, 06:34 PM
Chop61

Bikes: Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When trying to pinpoint noise when the bike is on a repair stand, I'll use the empty spool from a roll of paper towels. I'll hold it up to my ear and point the other end to the part on the bike where I think the noise is coming from. It really does help, though it seems pretty stupid after typing it up here.
Old 06-05-09, 08:22 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chop61
When trying to pinpoint noise when the bike is on a repair stand, I'll use the empty spool from a roll of paper towels. I'll hold it up to my ear and point the other end to the part on the bike where I think the noise is coming from. It really does help, though it seems pretty stupid after typing it up here.
Not stupid; it's an excellent trick. I use it ferreting out sounds in a high-noise environment, like when adjusting solid lifter valves on cars (remember those?). On bikes, though, I haven't found much need.

I wonder could it be adapted somehow for those only-when-riding noises? Maybe tape it to the end of a bearing stethoscope? Hmm. Now that I think about it, my bearing stethoscope has a diaphragm above the probe that is just about the same size as a paper towel tube.

Dibs on the patent!

- Will Rogers
Old 06-08-09, 07:10 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dibs on the paAWWW.
Old 06-13-09, 01:54 AM
micmat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have concerted several vertical drop out bikes very successfully to ss---be a tiny bit flexible with your ratio AND buy the magical half link !!
Old 06-21-09, 12:30 AM
jackklas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TECHNIQUES

Youtube has "how to" videos on almost every aspect of bicycle mechanics. Great resource!

Respectfully
Jack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.