Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Old 09-06-22, 07:14 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I am a metallurgist and ride titanium. This head tube has already failed. It's not maybe going to fail, it has. Titanium is a tough material, so you have to ask yourself why? I don't see any blunt force evidence, so it is likely to be a stress crack or crevice crack corrosion. If it's a stress crack, welding will likely fix it, If its crevice crack corrosion, welding will likely not fix it. The head tube and frame are safety critical items so let's do a risk assessment

Are the medical deductibles and possible lost time with those associated costs cheaper than the repair or scraping the bike. Make no mistake about it, the head tube has already failed, and no life-threatening accident has occurred. smd4 has already point out that this is likely the result but that gift of discovering the failure before injury has already occurred. I put the probability of injury due to catastrophic failure at 10-20%. Now if you continue to ride the bike, please bear in mind that you are doing what we call self-insuring. Keep in mind it will fail further, no question in my mind. You are betting the medical deductibles, and lost function to be an acceptable risk against the cost of repairs.

Me, I would likely replace the head tube or scrap the bike. My deductibles are $7,000 worth of self-insurance plus lost money because of hiring stuff done. Insurance would cover the funeral costs. That hardly seem worth it against a possible $200-$600 repair bill. $600/$12000 is 5% and I put the injury probability at 10-20%. My client says pass.

Last edited by KPREN; 09-06-22 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 07:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Seven pages. Seven...pages.

And my initial question still hasn't been answered in any serious way (Although someone mis-interpreted that question into "advice"). We've got lots of predictions of end-result catastrophic failure, hoped-for good dental insurance, impending death...But no theories about the actual process of frame failure that will lead to all of this.

Seven pages.

"Crack, crash." Uh huh.

What do you think that means? Do you think the crack will propagate the entire length of the head tube? If so, will it then roll open? Or will the front end get so wobbly that the rider will then deicide to stop? Will the crack stop at the reinforcing ring at the top?

Lots of fear mongering. Not much actual thought.

(Why should I be surprised? People still think my rims are going to explode at 140 psi).

Tell you what--you run the experiment that shows that the complete failure of the head tube while riding isn't by definition a really bad thing. Knock yourself out--literally.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-22, 07:31 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Tell you what--you run the experiment that shows that the complete failure of the head tube while riding isn't by definition a really bad thing. Knock yourself out--literally.
Added to the list of non-answers to my question.
Old 09-06-22, 07:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I think my favorite is from Ms. Raqball,...
Why am I not surprised by a misogynistic attempt at insult by this clown?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-06-22, 07:38 AM
smd4

The first one was without repair. That second one was with a clamp on it. No contradiction there at all. You're a damn liar by omission.
A "liar by omission?" Didn't even know there was such a thing!
Old 09-06-22, 07:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
You just can't explain to me what this "catastrophic failure" will look like? How is asking this question "trolling?" You can't describe it. Not even a guess. Amazing. Even I wrote down some examples. Why don't you just grab one I wrote and suggest it?
Prove the crack wont lead to catastrophic failure.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-06-22, 08:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by jad3675
Hey, I never said 'high school'; again though, there's nothing magical about welding Ti.
I was not referring to you.

But I will add that, while there is indeed "nothing magical about welding Ti," it must be handled rather differently than other metals. Very differently, in fact.
Old 09-06-22, 08:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
A "liar by omission?" Didn't even know there was such a thing!
We'll add that to the list of obvious, well-known things that you don't know.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-06-22, 08:10 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Prove the crack wont lead to catastrophic failure.
Only after you prove that it will.
Old 09-06-22, 08:11 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Why am I not surprised by a misogynistic attempt at insult by this clown?
I actually didn't even know he insulted me like that until I saw your quote. I have him on block, he knows he is blocked by me yet he keeps posting Q's to me and now insults.. Flippin' stalking weirdo...

Meh, welcome to the internet... Hands down one of the worse BF members I've encountered in my 9 years here..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-06-22, 08:11 AM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Answering a question with a question is obviously evasive.
Likes For amazinmets73:
Old 09-06-22, 08:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I actually didn't even know he insulted me like that until I saw your quote. I have him on block, he knows he is blocked by me yet he keeps posting Q's to me and now insults.. Flippin' stalking weirdo...

Meh, welcome to the internet... Hands down one of the worse BF members I've encountered in my 9 years here..
I'd report him. It may not help, bit it cannot hurt.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-22, 08:29 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'd report him. It may not help, bit it cannot hurt.
I unhide that post to see what else he said and he is not a very trustworthy person. He partially quoted what I said to intentionally take it out of context and make it sound like I was ok with someone riding that bike.

Sadly some people are just like that.. Luckily members like him are in the extreme minority here at BF. Most members here are, and always have been, very friendly and and extremely helpful.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-06-22, 09:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73

I've opted to keep it... So, is this safe to ride? Not interested in spending money on repair.

...you have convinced me. At this point, I'm OK with you riding it.
Old 09-06-22, 09:29 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...what's weird to me, in this thread, is that this sort of stress cracking in a bicycle head tube is a relatively common occurrence on steel frames. Frame guys who work on/with steel see it all the time, and the proper repair is invariably to replace the failed head tube. That's the sort of repair you can stand behind with a guarantee. Even in a material as easily welded as steel, I know of nobody who does this professionally who would just run a weld bead on a head tube that has already failed once, and call it good.

I had a very tiny crack in the bottom of the lower head lug on a Raleigh Pro once. It was on a fairly nice early one, that I wanted to repaint, and did not involve the tube, only the lug into which it was inserted. You could barely see it, but it was definitely cracked there. That was repaired with a weld, but not without first cutting a small V, to insure full cleaning and penetration to the bottom of the crack.

Certainly that frame is repairable. As already recommended, either the original company, or another bicycle frame person who regularly works with this metal will replace the failed tube for you. But unlike the best things in life, it's not free.
Old 09-06-22, 09:49 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 357 Posts
I just had the following exchange with seller:

"Was the crack due to the headset installation?"

"Yes. Like I indicated earlier and according to what the Lynskey manufacturer said the Chris King headset tolerances are a smidge off."
This is nonsense, and I think the fact that they knowingly sold a cracked bike without disclosing it says enough about their credibility that I wouldn’t bother asking them any more questions.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 09-06-22, 10:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Added to the list of non-answers to my question.

You've been given the same answer in several forms--once a critical part fails catastrophically while the bike is in motion, we really don't know what might happen because a whole bunch of different parts are going to be subjected to forces they were never designed for. We aren't stupid enough to try this experimentally so you're demanding a specificity that's impossible. Plus, the question is obviously not being asked in good faith because you know this.

All this because you're still mad most people think you're over-inflating your tires? Get over it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-22, 10:18 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The following morning I discovered the reason for the too-good-to-be-true asking price: The frame is cracked around the headtube. I contacted the seller and he replied: "That does not compromise the structure of the head tube, according to the manufacturer. If it completely cracks, which will not, I’ll refund you the money, or you are welcome to return it. Your call"
It is very, very unlikely that the manufacturer would say this.

I just had the following exchange with seller:

"Was the crack due to the headset installation?"

"Yes. Like I indicated earlier and according to what the Lynskey manufacturer said the Chris King headset tolerances are a smidge off."
More BS. You should ask Lynskey themselves.

Was not disclosed.
Given this, what basis do you have to believe the nonsense the seller is telling you?

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-06-22 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Y'know, I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that the extraordinary claim that needs to meet a burden of proof is the idea that a cracked frame is safe to ride.
Old 09-06-22, 10:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

(Why should I be surprised? People still think my rims are going to explode at 140 psi).
...first, the proper usage for this is "you people still think..." , not "people still think..." It's a classic "you people !!" situation, and you ought to take advantage of it.

Second, but less importantly, I regularly ride Vittoria tyres, pumped to the max inflation on the sidewall of 130psi, with no adverse results. I do this because I am quite a large person, and heavy as a result. Also, it helps me to go marginally faster on my typical riding surfaces. AS I slow due to aging, I need some kind of belief in that tiny trick, to make me feel better about the whole situation.

But really, try the "you people !!" thing. I think you'll find it fits with your general style and demeanor here.
Old 09-06-22, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Answering a question with a question is obviously evasive.

You, on the other hand, answer an answer with an insult.
That's obviously obnoxious.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-22, 10:30 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Y'know, I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that the extraordinary claim that needs to meet a burden of proof is the idea that a cracked frame is safe to ride.
...you don't need to go out on the limb to be at risk. Failure modes are variable.

Old 09-06-22, 10:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Closed for moderator review