Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 10:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With the advent of disc brakes this question becomes moot. It is like asking if white or brown horses pull the wagon better.
Old 11-16-22, 11:09 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
I don't remember any centerpull or cantilevers fondly. I replace canti's without hesitation and have been doing so since linears came into being. Just yesterday I put a set of mini-V's on the Fantom Cross. Works for me.
Old 11-16-22, 11:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
With the advent of disc brakes this question becomes moot. It is like asking if white or brown horses pull the wagon better.
Not really. The existence of disc brakes has not eliminated the existence of other types of brakes.
Old 11-16-22, 11:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
A. Not so humble brag

B OP shaming

C It’s just the truth and I am happy that everyone now knows it.

D All of the above

E None of the above
He's making the point that if you use your brakes correctly you won't go "flying over the bars".
Likes For big john:
Old 11-16-22, 11:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
An advantage of linear pull brakes is that the braking response is linear over the life of the pads. Thus the name. With cantilevers, response varies with pad wear. If, as the OP said, you shorten the cable or move the yoke up the cable, braking power lessens. Keeping cantilevers adjusted correctly takes a little more work. But keeping BSO linear brakes adjusted takes more work, too.
Sorry but no. “Linear” brakes are called that because the cable pulls linearly across the brake arms instead of vertically like almost all other cable actuated brakes. Shimano made some brakes that moved kept the pads oriented in the same plane as the rim but those never caught one. Likely because they were too flexible and squealed horribly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-16-22, 11:34 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
An advantage of linear pull brakes is that the braking response is linear over the life of the pads. Thus the name. With cantilevers, response varies with pad wear. If, as the OP said, you shorten the cable or move the yoke up the cable, braking power lessens. Keeping cantilevers adjusted correctly takes a little more work. But keeping BSO linear brakes adjusted takes more work, too.
Wrong.
Old 11-16-22, 11:49 AM
big john

I've had vee brakes on a mountain bike and 2 of my ex's mountain bikes. Even the cheaper ones can work pretty well with good pads, as long as they aren't those super flexy things. Seems to me the OP should be able to get them working acceptably with good pads and careful set-up. If not, better vee brakes are relatively cheap. Probably even used stuff out there.
Old 11-16-22, 03:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Not really. The existence of disc brakes has not eliminated the existence of other types of brakes.
Give them time.
Old 11-16-22, 03:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Give them time.
Hmmm...It's been 40+ years since single-pivot caliper brakes were current technology on new bicycles. Yet, they are still in existence, and are still used on many thousands of bikes. Other brake types (besides discs) will still exist long after both of us are gone.
Old 11-16-22, 03:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You won't go 'flying over the bars' if you know how to use your brakes. Do you lock up the rear and skid every time you use the rear brake? Millions of people use linear pull brakes and don't go over the bars. Millions of people use disc brakes and don't go flying over the bars. What is with this irrational fear of front brakes?
I believe this fear is based on either bad experiences as a kid riding a bike and going over the bars or just never learning how to apply brakes correctly. It's like anything else, you have to learn. But many people are still inherently fearful of their front brake regardless of brake type.
Old 11-16-22, 03:52 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
V-brakes offer more power and better modulation over center-pull/cantilever brakes, and also contain fewer parts. V-brakes do require more frequent adjustment, which takes no time once you get used to them. Higher quality v-brakes offer light lever pressure, and great stopping power with only one or two fingers.

The only adjustments required are the tension screws, which maintain the pad gap and equalize the levers, and occasional cable adjustments as the pads wear. Good levers and cables make the brakes themselves work better.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-16-22, 04:14 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
V-brakes offer more power and better modulation over center-pull/cantilever brakes, and also contain fewer parts. V-brakes do require more frequent adjustment, which takes no time once you get used to them. Higher quality v-brakes offer light lever pressure, and great stopping power with only one or two fingers.

The only adjustments required are the tension screws, which maintain the pad gap and equalize the levers, and occasional cable adjustments as the pads wear. Good levers and cables make the brakes themselves work better.
And you have to adjust pad position as they wear helically. They don't wear flat unless you have XTR/XT brakes w/ the linkage.
Old 11-16-22, 04:47 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Centerpulls were popular in the 90s?...where, Cambodia?
I bet there were still millions of bikes with centerpulls being rode and/or being sold (for a song) that were totally serviceable. I admit this far into the 21st century those bikes are a little more rare, but I still see them on craigslist everyday. Of course on new bikes they have been extinct for 30 plus years.
Old 11-16-22, 04:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
With the advent of disc brakes this question becomes moot.
Except it isn't moot at all. The "advent" was about 1992, when the first mass-produced mountain bike with disc brakes was introduced. Thirty years later, we still have coaster brakes, cantilever brakes, U-brakes, hydraulic rim brakes, V-brakes, and caliper brakes, and bikes that use these brakes continue to be produced by the thousands.

Give them time
We have.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-16-22, 04:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I bet there were still millions of bikes with centerpulls being rode and/or being sold (for a song) that were totally serviceable. I admit this far into the 21st century those bikes are a little more rare, but I still see them on craigslist everyday. Of course on new bikes they have been extinct for 30 plus years.
Good lord, an obvious throw away joking post gets this much pushback. Classic Bikeforums.
Of course there were a bunch of bikes with centerpull brakes being ridden in the 90s.
But no, that wasn't a popular style of brake in the 90s.

Cantilever brakes? Popularly used.
Side pull? Popularly used.
Vbrake? Popularly used.

Centerpulls were not the standard in the 90s, contrary to the OP'S comment and your response.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-16-22, 05:02 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good lord, an obvious throw away joking post gets this much pushback. Classic Bikeforums.
Of course there were a bunch of bikes with centerpull brakes being ridden in the 90s.
But no, that wasn't a popular style of brake in the 90s.

Cantilever brakes? Popularly used.
Side pull? Popularly used.
Vbrake? Popularly used.

Centerpulls were not the standard in the 90s, contrary to the OP'S comment and your response.
Sorry about that, that did go swoosh right over my head. I should have said used bikes in my response. You are absolutely correct that centerpulls were not standard in the nineties. I only commented because I see sometimes that younger people might have a skewed sense of history and I just wanted to clear that up a little. Being a geezer I tend to do that sometimes. Again my apologies.
Old 11-16-22, 06:08 PM
walterbyrd

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You have what is most likely the worst 'linear pull' brakes on the planet. They are nearly impossible to keep adjusted properly. Get some decent brakes and they'll be much better. You won't go 'flying over the bars' if you know how to use your brakes. Do you lock up the rear and skid every time you use the rear brake? Millions of people use linear pull brakes and don't go over the bars. Millions of people use disc brakes and don't go flying over the bars. What is with this irrational fear of front brakes?
I am just saying: you only need so much stopping power. Center pull brakes seemed to give me all the stopping power I needed, without the headache of V-brakes.
Old 11-16-22, 06:11 PM
walterbyrd

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And as far as removing a wheel, it's quite easy to undo the V-brakes to allow you to take the wheel out, and hook them back up once you've replaced it.
Yes, but these brakes seem to need to be re-adjusted if I look at the wrong. I never had that issue with center-pull brakes.
Old 11-16-22, 07:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by walterbyrd
I am just saying: you only need so much stopping power. Center pull brakes seemed to give me all the stopping power I needed, without the headache of V-brakes.
We still aren’t sure if you are talking about center pull brakes or cantilever brakes. If you want cantilevers on your current bike, it’s not impossible to swap them. You’ll need short pull levers, a way to hang the cables on the front and rear, and the brakes. Alternatively, I’d suggest just replacing the current crappy brakes with better ones. You can find Avid Single Digits for cheap on Ebay or buy TRP new ones for about $25 per pair. It’d be cheaper to go that route.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-16-22, 08:53 PM
walterbyrd

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling

> The only adjustments required are the tension screws

I have found that adjustment to be tricky. If it is not done exactly right, the brakes will not center correctly after releasing, and one pad will rub against the rim. That is a problem that I did not have, even with the cheapest center-pull brakes.

With center-pull, there is one spring pulling the pads apart. No need to synchronize two separate spring tensions, and get each one pulling with just the right amount of tension.

With my V-brakes, even after getting the spring tension adjusted for both springs, it seems to go out of adjustment very easily. Sometimes, for no apparent reason at all.

Perfectly adjusted V-brakes my provide better stopping power. But they seem to be a constant headache to keep adjusted, and really, there is only so much stopping power you need.
Old 11-16-22, 09:00 PM
walterbyrd

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Give them time.
You may be right. But it seems to me that disc brakes do not have every advantage. Disc brakes are more expensive, heavier, and - I would think - more difficult to adjust and maintain.

If you frequently ride in wet conditions, I would think that disc brakes would be worth it. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.
Old 11-16-22, 09:07 PM
walterbyrd

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I should have mentioned, back in the early 1990s, I rode the racer type street bikes, not MTBs. I did not ride especially expensive bikes, one was a department store bike, the other was a lower-end Schwinn. I never did an in-depth study of what types of brakes bicycles used back then, but when I was bike shopping, the center-pull brakes seemed to be standard.
Old 11-16-22, 09:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You can find Avid Single Digits for cheap on Ebay
Except the 7's. I think SRAM discontinued them after the recall. Good brakes. The 5's are decent, but I never liked the 3's, which are the cheap ones on eBay.

I guess the T4000 is Shimano only offering. Not sure how they compare.

John
Old 11-16-22, 10:10 PM
big john

Originally Posted by walterbyrd
You may be right. But it seems to me that disc brakes do not have every advantage. Disc brakes are more expensive, heavier, and - I would think - more difficult to adjust and maintain.

If you frequently ride in wet conditions, I would think that disc brakes would be worth it. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.
Disc brakes may not be needed for a lot of road riders but they are not a hassle to me. I've had them on 2 mountain bikes since 1998.
Like other types of brakes, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-16-22, 11:32 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Which is why, when you mount them under your chain stays, you call them "U-brakes"
But only us whippersnappers remember these

Aha! Mud-collection devices that also double as speed reducers.
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.