Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease out of clothes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Grease out of clothes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 01:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Another one (this time from a renowned restorer and expert on stain removal processes):

PROBLEM - Black stains on work wear (grease)

SOLUTION - Rub baby oil on stains then wash normally, with a bit of Napisan Oxy-bleach added (Napisan is an Australian version of nappy soaker... sorry, diaper soaker).

Actually that one is a pretty good idea. Baby oil is just a mineral oil which is derived from petroleum. It should dissolve the grease quite handily.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-02-07, 06:46 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Ok since I actually used the search I think i'd be allowed to bump this:

What out of those suggested cleaners on the last page won't mark? (i.e change the colour of the fabric?) Specifically for kahkis.
Old 04-02-07, 10:54 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lestoil.
Old 04-02-07, 01:28 PM
Chinasaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic
Also, with any stains, wash the article of clothing in cold water: hot water will cause any stain to set in.
Okay, this is off-topic, but everybody says this about cold water and my question is, what are the hot water settings on the washer for then? Is that for if you want to steam disinfect your clothes after your friend pukes on you at the bar or something? I guess partly I'm interested because I recall that washing cold instead of hot is one of the easiest, biggest ways to reduce home appliance energy consumption.
Old 10-18-12, 04:16 PM
cyclista1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lava soap

Originally Posted by Rowan
Not in my experience.
Lava soap always gets out the worst bicycle grease for me. Even old, washed in, bicycle grease.
Old 10-18-12, 06:32 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinasaur
Okay, this is off-topic, but everybody says this about cold water and my question is, what are the hot water settings on the washer for then? Is that for if you want to steam disinfect your clothes after your friend pukes on you at the bar or something? I guess partly I'm interested because I recall that washing cold instead of hot is one of the easiest, biggest ways to reduce home appliance energy consumption.
Heat increases the ability of detergents to work. Most modern laundry detergents are active enough that they work perfectly well in pretty cold water. The other point of hot water is, as you note, for sanitizing. Commercial laundries use water in the 160 to 180 F range, to make sure that if there's stuff that needs to be killed in the laundry, it's killed.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Either can be used. Lye, however, is sodium hydroxide. I have heard recipies that use wood ash which would have a higher potassium content.
All other things being equal, KOH will make softer soap than NaOH will.
Old 10-18-12, 08:20 PM
Gaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use shampoo
Old 10-18-12, 08:34 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to ask yourself how they get black gobs of oil off a bird? The answer is dishwashing soap. Various brands are specifically to break down grease and oil; Dawn is the best example I can think of but there are others. Just soak you clothes in a mixture with water (similar to dishwashing) for about 15-20 minutes, ring out the clothes and wash them as normal. DON"T PUT THE DISHWASHING SOAP IN THE CLOTHES WASHER! Dish Washing soap is designed to produce lots of suds; clothes washing soap to produce very little. Put dishwashing soap in a clothes washer and it will foam up and make a complete mess. Anyway, I too forget or am to lazy to change clothes before do bike mechanics and there are no grease spots on any of my clothes.

BTW; it's also great for removing urushiol oil from poison oak. Just shower in tepid to cool water and wash with Dawn; I'm very allergic and stopped getting it after I started washing with Dawn after a ride where Poison oak is present (in Santa Cruz that's every off road ride and some road rides..

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 10-18-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 02:23 AM
consumes

Bikes: 1978 nishiki 2011 Kona Dr.Good 1996 trek 830, 1996 Iron Horse MT400, 89 Specialized Hardrock,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
+1
I've used Go-Jo on old grease stains that have been washed several times, took them right out. This was on a nylon jacket, didn't harm the jacket at all. Your results may vary.
great tip ... i will have to try this on a greasy pair of northface hiking pants
Old 10-19-12, 02:22 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the soap that cuts grease, not the glycerine.
This is misnomer. Glycerine is a component of some soaps, wherein it partly comprises the fat component (e.g., triglycerides). "Soap" is a term that describes a molecule that emulsifies water and oil/fat by an intramolecular interaction caused by a structure similar to the phospholipid of a eukaryotic cell wall (i.e., δ+ to δ- intramolecular forces) . There is no "soap molecule" - it is a categorical term.

Additionally, stomach bile salt is a great example of an emulsifier of fat/polar substances in nature, or what could be called a "natural soap." Would one use stomach bile as handsoap? Does bar soap grow on trees? Certainly not, but the blanket statement that there is no such thing as a "natural" soap is incorrect. Try searching outside of wikipedia for explanations.

Lye, however, is sodium hydroxide.
Lye more accurately refers to a caustic base - both KOH and NaOH fall under this category (both have low pOH), and both are used in commercial and industrial soap production, though NaOH is more common. Whether it is one or the other is a product of what the Lye is derrived from; NaOH is the product of Ca(OH)2(aq) and Na2CO3(s); KOH is typically derrived from reacting components of some ashwoods (K2CO3(s)) and Ca(OH)2(aq).

Last edited by jfowler85; 10-19-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 12:25 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have successfully removed all grease on my jacket with some eco glycerin soap and a toothbrush.
The grease survived the washing machine and the dryer. It even survived an attack with a toothbrush and some laundry soap but it didn't survive the glycerin soap attack