Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Exposure to BMX

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Exposure to BMX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 04:34 PM
mindbogger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exposure to BMX

Recently. I bought a BMX thinking it would bring me back to the fundamentals of mountain biking. Boy was I right.

At first, it was hard to get use to the geometry of it. As I progressed, it was a lot easier and I began to do things I could not even imagine. Having a 4130 chromoly frame, rigid, single speed has opened my eyes to a new world.

It has been approximently 5 days since I began riding a BMX. Just today, I hopped onto my Cowan and it felt like crap. The suspension hinders your mobility and the 26 inch wheels too big and lathargic. The drivetrain felt like it was going to snap any minute.

I think I have turned over a new leaf. My Cowan will probably be stripped down and sold or converted into a rigid, ss, trail bike.
Old 04-09-05, 06:51 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just got a BMX cruiser yesterday, and the rigid fork and smaller wheels do make a pretty big difference. I don't really like 20" wheels much though...

I'll stick to my hardrock for trails and road riding, but the DK is fun to do tricks on, and single speed really is nice. I might convert the other bike to SS now.
Old 04-09-05, 07:11 PM
madbiker555
close to 2000

Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems to be happening to a lot of MTBer's, Im starting to be really drawn to bmx bikes. I was riding my friends today and I notice the huge difference between it and my bike. I like how the bmx is small and manuverable.

P.S. To turn your Cowan into a rigid, just fill the fork with air so it becomes stiff.
Old 04-09-05, 07:54 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't have a comment on the rigid fork, lol

A suspension fork that doesnt move much is still nice to have, it takes the blunt out of landing the front, and you can still run fairly high pressure to retain speed coasting.

But I'll get used to rigid...
Old 04-09-05, 08:04 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
eh, i will stick to my wimpy XC steed. I could never manage a bunny hop when i had an urban type bike. I learned i was not cut out for hops and jumps fast
Old 04-09-05, 09:12 PM
.:MTB:.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kind of on the fence about getting a BMX bike but I think I will now, especially if it'll make me a better mountainbiker. Plus it's something to keep me amused while the trails are rained out like they've been for the last two months or so... I think I'll keep my mountainbike the way it is though- it seems better suited to riding XC as it is right now. Edit: The BMX forum here kinda sucks unfortunately. No fault of the admins, but it seems to be overrun by 12 year old e-thugs.
Old 04-09-05, 09:22 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That pretty much sums it up... But there are some good riders who visit it. BMXTRIX.com has a messageboard there, and its more active.
Old 04-09-05, 10:46 PM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bmx-forum.com/
check this forum too, it seems to have a lot more topics I guess. I haven't been there too much because the one here is convinient.
I too have recently bought a bmx, though a crappy one, it's become my around town bike. After riding it for two weeks or so without riding my mountain bike in between(because of rained out trails), it was definitely crazy. I had to lock my front fork to feel any kind of comfortable on it for a good while.
Old 04-10-05, 12:20 AM
haro_bmx87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pssshhh. any1 wanna buy my bmx then? im sick of it. jumping stairs and stuff sucks on it, your wrists hurt so much. i rode my friends hard tail and i was like =0 felt just like a bmx except easy on the wrists coming down off jumps. i like it sooo much better.
Old 04-10-05, 12:41 AM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I'm going to focus on skill near the ground rather than getting big air this year, so I won't worry too much about hurting my wrists on big drops
Old 04-10-05, 01:51 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I took up racing on a 24" BMX. Loads of fun, and the family can come out and watch. Totally different to MTB racing.
Old 04-10-05, 02:20 PM
mindbogger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMan2k
I don't have a comment on the rigid fork, lol

A suspension fork that doesnt move much is still nice to have, it takes the blunt out of landing the front, and you can still run fairly high pressure to retain speed coasting.

But I'll get used to rigid...
Ride the BMX for a few days. Hop on to your mountain bike after youve managed to control the BMX. You will feel a difference. Your suspension fork will defeintly feel like you are losing efficiency as you ride.
Old 04-10-05, 02:22 PM
mindbogger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madbiker555
This seems to be happening to a lot of MTBer's, Im starting to be really drawn to bmx bikes. I was riding my friends today and I notice the huge difference between it and my bike. I like how the bmx is small and manuverable.

P.S. To turn your Cowan into a rigid, just fill the fork with air so it becomes stiff.
Even with the air, it will not be rigid. With the ETA option, I am one step closer. But it is not true rigid.
Old 04-10-05, 02:24 PM
mindbogger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMan2k
I just got a BMX cruiser yesterday, and the rigid fork and smaller wheels do make a pretty big difference. I don't really like 20" wheels much though...
the 20inch wheels are no where near efficient but boy are they strong. Even the single wall rims are pretty sturdy. I cannot imagine what triple wall rims can handle.
Old 04-10-05, 08:40 PM
haro_bmx87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single wall 20" bmx wheels suck. Even when you have 48 spokes. I have 36 spoke triple walls right now and they seem to be pretty good so far.