Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riding through the "ghetto"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Riding through the "ghetto"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 11:24 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsanaCycles
"speak softly and carry a big stick" <--- I'm pretty sure that was Teddy Roosevelt
Since we're quoting Roosevelt - "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Old 10-19-10, 11:31 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Since we're quoting Roosevelt - "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Different Roosevelt.
Old 10-19-10, 11:45 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
Different Roosevelt.
Oops, yes! However, still a good quote for people reading this thread.
Old 10-19-10, 02:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There are very legitimate reasons be apprehensive about riding through the "ghetto". The biggest is that half of the risidents own a protective breeds of dog, i.e. pitbull, german shepard, or rott. These dogs get loose often and regularly attack people. The owners are either not home or don't care that their dog is biting you.
Uh oh...! Our valiant hero has risked an empirical fact, something that can be shown either to be true or false!

Seriously, even if that was true, which I'll bet my cross bike it's not, what of it? I rode through "the ghetto" once when a giant dog started barking at me. I heard its owner yell "****! Everybody who goes by doesn't want your f'ing bone!" Another dog tried to chase me once, but found itself limited by its fence.

Then there are the residents themselves. If they see someone riding through in a biking outfit, then they see that person as an easy mark.
Never mind that this sounds kind of paranoid ... a person on a bike who can sprint at 30 mph, or 25 if your bike is heavy and loaded down with panniers, isn't that easy of a mark. You talk about someone desperate for another $20 to buy drugs with, which almost certainly means someone without a car, who can't run very quickly, and is probably malnourished.

I think what's going on here is that you feel especially vulnerable, and humans aren't great at assessing risk.
Old 10-19-10, 02:35 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Uh oh...! Our valiant hero has risked an empirical fact, something that can be shown either to be true or false!

Seriously, even if that was true, which I'll bet my cross bike it's not, what of it? I rode through "the ghetto" once when a giant dog started barking at me. I heard its owner yell "****! Everybody who goes by doesn't want your f'ing bone!" Another dog tried to chase me once, but found itself limited by its fence.

Never mind that this sounds kind of paranoid ... a person on a bike who can sprint at 30 mph, or 25 if your bike is heavy and loaded down with panniers, isn't that easy of a mark. You talk about someone desperate for another $20 to buy drugs with, which almost certainly means someone without a car, who can't run very quickly, and is probably malnourished.

I think what's going on here is that you feel especially vulnerable, and humans aren't great at assessing risk.

I'm sure your "ghetto" in Seattle is the same as ours in California. Having to ride through a low income Seattle neighborhood where the hippies live is the same as the crack and meth filled neighborhoods in my part of the country.

What is the scariest incident that you have ever witness or been a part of in Seattle?
Old 10-19-10, 06:03 PM
Exit3
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say carrying firearms on a bike is a bad idea. I can't imagine a worse feeling than shooting yourself while riding. I have had to cross through Camden, NJ during my school days in Philly. Most of the knuckleheads you would be afraid of aren't around in the mornings, theya re still sleeping off last nights party. The afternoon rush is exactly that...a rush through the bad parts. I also kept a few routes in mind. You don't want to establish a pattern where they know you may be stopping at the intersection at this time, for example. Also, if you can avoid carrying any type of bag, they always think there's a laptop in bikers bag. Otherwise...just be quick and precise. Get in/get out and keep moving!
Old 10-19-10, 07:05 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I'll grant you that at least this one guy shouldn't be carrying a firearm... on or off the bike....

Old 10-19-10, 07:30 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He should stop buying his tighties from the local prison also.
Old 10-19-10, 09:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas Trekker
Anyone one else have this experience?
One word: SPEED

Get past them before they even know you are coming.

Originally Posted by Vegas Trekker
Do you take any precautions, if any?
LINK
Old 10-19-10, 09:08 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanna get one of those retractable batons, but I found that putting my 15mm the key chain will hurt as well
Old 10-19-10, 09:09 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. You can pedal faster than most people can run.

2. Your legs are probably strong enough that a kick from you is no joke.
a. The human knee is very fragile.
b. Nobody is going to chase you very far or very fast with a broken knee.
Old 10-19-10, 09:15 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elkhound
b. Nobody is going to chase you very far or very fast with a broken knee.
lol
Old 10-19-10, 09:17 PM
Crazyed..27
I Biked Today

Bikes: 1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell I live in the ghetto...if you ride with a swagger you are fine..the only time I was assaulted was when I was on my skateboard...if you live in the suburbs...leave me alone...really....
I have nothing for you!
Old 10-20-10, 05:40 AM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the scariest incident that you have ever witness or been a part of in Seattle?
i've had a tec-9 pulled on me before. it was about 8 years ago on a street i still regularly commute on. there's no reason to live your life in fear.
Old 10-20-10, 07:01 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Titmawz
I wanna get one of those retractable batons, but I found that putting my 15mm the key chain will hurt as well
Those batons are illegal for carry by non-police in many jurisdictions, even those that allow concealed carry of firearms.
Old 10-20-10, 07:05 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benda18
i've had a tec-9 pulled on me before. it was about 8 years ago on a street i still regularly commute on. there's no reason to live your life in fear.
It is a misperception that most folks who carry do so because of fear. They carry because they want to be prepared for the potential (though fortunately rare) life threatening situation. Its like home/car insurance. You buy it hoping to never need it, but are very glad you have it if the occasion arises that you do..
Old 10-20-10, 08:48 AM
tabriz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sci_femme
Oddly enough a chick on a bike is safer in a sketchy neighborhood. Most of the time it is cat calls, "Nice azz", wolf whistles, compliments, etc. Never mind the fact I am a Caucasian middle age light Athena in full lycra *cringe*. (Only once a speeding car tried to take me out with an open passenger door, but these were most likely drugged out of their mind). On the other hand a guy would have faced entirely different predicament.

Good Luck

SF

Years ago I used to commute through a bad neighborhood, but didn't know it, apparently (I was a little naive). One morning I had a flat tire, and couldn't get the tire off. A local young man was walking by and I asked for some help. He looked a little shocked, but helped me. Then he told me to never ride on the side streets, to always stay on the road I was on in that area.

The fact that I am female probably helped in that situation.
Old 10-20-10, 09:33 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by myrridin
It is a misperception that most folks who carry do so because of fear. They carry because they want to be prepared for the potential (though fortunately rare) life threatening situation. Its like home/car insurance. You buy it hoping to never need it, but are very glad you have it if the occasion arises that you do..
That can't be true. Everything I've ever heard from TV seems to indicate that people who carry guns are just looking for a chance to use them. I think these must be the same people who hop in their bike and hope they get into a crash, just so they can use their helmet.
Old 10-20-10, 10:23 PM
phillycommuter

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (Target "Hybrid").

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm admittedly not intimidating and definitely stand out in the ghetto (where I'm living unfortunately). I commute to a nice area for work and return to unfortunately a somewhat dangerous area every day.
A few things I do when in the ghetto:
1) Ride in the middle of the road - I feel you're much more likely to be stopped/robbed/etc if you are visible to the punks congregating on the sidewalks. If you hug the parked cars its easier for someone to knock you off your bike. Riding in the middle of a lane (at a decent speed) keeps you able to react just in case someone wants to chase you (I have been chased), and it allows you to go to the other side of the road much easier (not safe but its safer sometimes than the alternative).
2) Don't stop. Turn off your blinkers if traffic is light and weather/lighting permits. If you have to stop due to traffic, keep your head on a swivel. Stop BEFORE the intersection (where you would be visible from all 4 sides). Stopping before the edge of the corner buildings avoids you being in the sitelines of someone loitering on the corner. Basically, be as stealthy as possible.
3) If you get a flat or some kind of bike malfunction, look for the closest well-lit food shop and buy something. There are plenty of pizza shops and deli/bodegas in my 'hood' and while not necessarily the best plan, it might be more comforting to change a tire in a store while you talk to the attendant than to do the same in a dark street.
4) Go Fast. Change Routes if you have been harassed or otherwise feel uncomfortable. Don't smile or wave or make eye contact. Just be aware of your surrounding but don't make anyone remember you for any particular reason. Look intense. Most of the time people are just going about their business. However, crime is about opportunity and desire. If you stand out like a sore thumb with your blinkers and cycling gear on and you take a nice slow pace, you are more likely to paint a target for yourself where someone sees the opportunity to rob you (the desire might already be there).

I might be paranoid but I've lived in crappy areas and I know that people's mentalities can be really messed up. I've been mugged, robbed, chased, and cops know the area is messed up and have advised me to move elsewhere. I don't carry because in all honesty the worst thing you can do is get into a confrontation in an area where you are likely already an outsider. Flashing a weapon would be stupid. Using it might get you targeted for retribution. I generally avoid going out at night and things are a bit safer before 6PM, but if you have to ride in the dark its best you be aware of your surrounding and be prepared to pedal hard if necessary.

Last edited by phillycommuter; 10-20-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-20-10, 11:19 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the subject of dogs to be afraid of...

The other day I was riding down by the railroad tracks and some mean viscous dogs came out at me barking. One of them even bit me. I think there were um...Scottish terriers or something that. Meanest ghetto dogs you have ever seen. LOL No they didn't break the skin and I was fine. I have done door to door sales and fund raising door to door alot over the years. I have done it mostly in in small towns and in one summer in a bigger city. The only dogs I have ever been bitten by (if you want to call it that) were barely bigger than a cat. Beware of the small dog. They will get you. =) I think in all those years I have been bitten twice that I can think of. The other time that dog jumped up and almost bit me in the butt and got the back of my leg instead.
Old 10-21-10, 03:31 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
The other day I was riding down by the railroad tracks and some mean viscous dogs came out at me barking.
Man, I hate those viscous dogs. They ooze out after you, get all over everything, and they're near impossible to wash off.
Old 10-21-10, 04:00 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Man, I hate those viscous dogs. They ooze out after you, get all over everything, and they're near impossible to wash off.
Old 10-21-10, 04:15 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Old 10-21-10, 06:42 AM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Everything I've ever heard from TV seems to indicate that people who carry guns are just looking for a chance to use them. I think these must be the same people who hop in their bike and hope they get into a crash, just so they can use their helmet.
Hardly! Despite the bellicosity of some people on TV, and in BF, most people who carry aren't looking for trouble. Exclude known hunters to be fair, but I think if you polled your friends and neighbors you would be surprised who among them own a firearm. There are an estimated two hundred million firearms in the United States, odds are you know an owner. Quite a few of them will own a pistol, rifle, or a shotgun and never fire it at all. Home defense to them means just that, if they're never confronted with a threat they have no reason to defend it. Others might own one because they enjoy target shooting (if you've never been I recommend it, it's a lot of fun) and others for hunting or defense against wildlife while camping. A rattlesnake at the bottom of your nice warm sleeping bag can ruin a good bicycle tour. I carried a weapon professionally for over twenty-five years as a soldier, police officer, and private security. After all of that time I take a certain amount of pride that I have never pulled a trigger against anything more dangerous then an injured deer on the side of the road.
Old 10-21-10, 07:25 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
On the subject of dogs to be afraid of...

The other day I was riding down by the railroad tracks and some mean viscous dogs came out at me barking. One of them even bit me. I think there were um...Scottish terriers or something that. Meanest ghetto dogs you have ever seen. LOL No they didn't break the skin and I was fine. I have done door to door sales and fund raising door to door alot over the years. I have done it mostly in in small towns and in one summer in a bigger city. The only dogs I have ever been bitten by (if you want to call it that) were barely bigger than a cat. Beware of the small dog. They will get you. =) I think in all those years I have been bitten twice that I can think of. The other time that dog jumped up and almost bit me in the butt and got the back of my leg instead.
LOL I knew this would be a funny post. There are semi-viscous dogs though with their drool and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.