Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 06:50 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
sekaijim, you're killing me with those pictures. My 22-year-old daughter used to look like that. She also loves working with her hands. She's in college for graphic design.
Yeah, and both my daughters (19 and 22) started working on bikes at that age, though not with a hammer.
Matter of fact, the 19 year old, still home from college, is coming into to help me out in the shop today!!
Old 01-13-11, 07:55 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Anyway, I like the idea of pinching the overinflated tyre in the vise, but I have the wonderfull full chaincase which renders removing the rear wheel about as much fun as a colonoscopy.
Unless I can get a second pair of hands to hold the whole bike up in the air while I position the rear tyre in the vise...
Better solution: Bolt the vise to the garage floor. The technique is to grab the tire on either side of the offending area and rock and pull to seat the bead. Then reposition the gripping device closer to ground zero and repeat. Took me about a half dozen pinch-rock and pulls to get the tire seated. Good luck, I used close to 100 psi in a 70 psi tire.
Old 01-13-11, 08:30 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckyChow99
Needless to say, I am overjoyed with these two bikes. Since you almost never see these bikes in this area, I asked them how they came to own them. The lady said that they once lived in NJ (where they bought the bikes) and brought them down when they moved to Atlanta 15 years ago. They've been hanging on the wall in their basement ever since. It just goes to show that you never know when the force is going to be with you! I took a couple photos of the DL-1 if I can get them posted below. I look forward to sharing with you guys a lot more in the near future.
Welcome to the forums.
Great find!
Old 01-13-11, 08:43 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I drove over to their home in a very nice, upscale neighborhood and took a look at the bikes. Much to my surprise, they had a DL-1 and a DL-1L that were in unbelievable great shape. I quickly paid the $50 each they were asking and loaded the bikes onto my bike rack. It turns out this couple were the original owners of these two 1974 Tourist’s and they proceeded to give me the owner’s manual, assembly guide, warranty cards, and a "bike tool" that came with the bikes.
What hub dates do the bikes have? They are on the rear hubs, usually in a format like 74 6 (which would mean June, 1974 in this example). The reason I ask is that the bike pictured looks older than 1974, based on the chain guard and the rear reflector.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-13-11, 08:47 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've never had a serious problem with the Kendas on my Stock steel Raleigh-pattern "Westrick" rims. Before I had the Kendas I had a couple of older tires that were on the bike when I took possession of it (not the original Dunlops as they were long wore out 50 years ago even). I put them on and took them off a few times while messing around with the bike and a few times they didn't quite want to seat properly and since they were so old and deteriorating I was loath to over-inflate them.

But it wasn't a problem that couldn't be solved by deflating the tire and re-adjusting the bead a little bit on the rim and reinflating. I don't think it ever took more than two tries to get one to seat. Then again I used to race motorcycles and getting certain tires with wheel-locks to seat on an abused/raced off-road rim is much more difficult sometimes. Bicycle tires/rims are cake in comparison.

But the Kenda K35's were no problem at all for me. I've heard that people who have replaced their rims with alloy CR-18's report some fitment issues sometimes. Some feel they are made a little large or something.
Old 01-13-11, 12:50 PM
LuckyChow99

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
What hub dates do the bikes have? They are on the rear hubs, usually in a format like 74 6 (which would mean June, 1974 in this example). The reason I ask is that the bike pictured looks older than 1974, based on the chain guard and the rear reflector.
Doohickie, the hub on the pictured bike is January of 1974. The lady's bike (not pictured) was December of 1973.
Old 01-13-11, 01:19 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm probably not telling anyone anything new, but I use Turtlewax vinyl protectant, a product like Armorall, but cheaper, when mounting tires. I spray the rim, wipe down the tube, and wipe the seating surfaces of the tire. It all slithers together, and when airing up, just oozes into shape.
It doesn't seem to hurt the brake shoes, after the first scrubbing-off stops.

I learned this on motorcycle tires, which are much harder to deal with.
Old 01-13-11, 01:24 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by David Newton
I learned this on motorcycle tires, which are much harder to deal with.
I use Ideal Yellow 77 Cable Lube for mounting motorcycle tires.
Old 01-13-11, 03:15 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
One of my favourite English three speeds... in one of my favourite places.

Your looking a little stiff there!
Old 01-13-11, 08:05 PM
LuckyChow99

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sixty Fiver, that's a really beautiful bike. I've never seen a Twenty in person. They look very ruggedly built.

I have a general question that I'd like some input on from the forum. I've got to replace the tires on my Tourist's bikes, as they are original. Should the tube be replaced as well? The tubes are the ones with the threaded stem all the way to the rim. As far as I know, these are not made any more. So any replacement would not have threading all the way down. Correct?

Last edited by LuckyChow99; 01-13-11 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Hit return too early
Old 01-13-11, 08:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I just started a thread: What should I do with my Raleigh Twenty?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-11, 09:30 PM
matchswain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

While in a dusty garage looking at an old Schwinn last night, I saw this hanging in a dark corner...and wanted it. Without the dust it's in nice shape. The AW hub shows "78," so I presume the rest of the bike would be dated the same (I can picture those graphics coming out of the 1970's anyway).

Clearly there are quite a few things that need to be upgraded (vinyl seat, disgusting - and stretched - chain, rotting tires) and I know that it's probably a lower-end Sports model, but the appeal is, well, probably much of the same appeal that keeps many of you posting your new 3-speed finds here.

My question is: have any of you found a Sports with the bars pictured? I've looked through every photo I can find, and non of the stock Sports bars look nearly as high as mine, though it could be a trick of the cameras. They're about 9" from the stem to the curve near the grips. I'm just curious how close to a stock bike I have, or what may have been changed over the years.

Also, if it looks like a bike that I should get rid of and try again, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for looking.

Old 01-13-11, 09:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by matchswain
Hello all,

While in a dusty garage looking at an old Schwinn last night, I saw this hanging in a dark corner...and wanted it. Without the dust it's in nice shape. The AW hub shows "78," so I presume the rest of the bike would be dated the same (I can picture those graphics coming out of the 1970's anyway).

Clearly there are quite a few things that need to be upgraded (vinyl seat, disgusting - and stretched - chain, rotting tires) and I know that it's probably a lower-end Sports model, but the appeal is, well, probably much of the same appeal that keeps many of you posting your new 3-speed finds here.

My question is: have any of you found a Sports with the bars pictured? I've looked through every photo I can find, and non of the stock Sports bars look nearly as high as mine, though it could be a trick of the cameras. They're about 9" from the stem to the curve near the grips. I'm just curious how close to a stock bike I have, or what may have been changed over the years.

Also, if it looks like a bike that I should get rid of and try again, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for looking.
There was no bottom of the line Raleigh Sports and your bike just had had it's bars and saddle replaced... am guessing that it's previous owner really liked to sit upright.

The colour is great and if it fits it won't take much to change the bars and saddle.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 01-13-11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 09:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Doohickie, the hub on the pictured bike is January of 1974. The lady's bike (not pictured) was December of 1973.
Hmmm... I thought they had switched to the dorky reflector by then.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-13-11, 10:04 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Sixty Fiver, that's a really beautiful bike. I've never seen a Twenty in person. They look very ruggedly built.

I have a general question that I'd like some input on from the forum. I've got to replace the tires on my Tourist's bikes, as they are original. Should the tube be replaced as well? The tubes are the ones with the threaded stem all the way to the rim. As far as I know, these are not made any more. So any replacement would not have threading all the way down. Correct?
You can still buy tubes with fully threaded stems for Schraeder valves... Michelin and Schwalbe make premium tubes like this.

It seems like a lot of people have never seen a Twenty here as many people have been asking about my little bike and a few have been amazed to discover it is also 37 years old... it really could not have come to me in better shape and I then upgraded the wheels and brakes.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 01-13-11, 10:52 PM
LuckyChow99

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Sixty Fiver for the reply. Are you in agreement that the tubes should be replaced when the tires are? Also, I've not seen these premium tubes offered anywhere. Do you know who sells them?
Old 01-13-11, 10:55 PM
matchswain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was no bottom of the line Raleigh Sports and your bike just had had it's bars and saddle replaced... am guessing that it's previous owner really liked to sit upright.

The colour is great and if it fits it won't take much to change the bars and saddle.
That's good to hear; I'll search out a B66 and some bars. What's a good source for period-correct north roads bars?
Old 01-13-11, 11:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Thanks Sixty Fiver for the reply. Are you in agreement that the tubes should be replaced when the tires are? Also, I've not seen these premium tubes offered anywhere. Do you know who sells them?
Tubes can last a very long time as they are protected from what kills tyres, namely UV radiation.

I have pulled supple tubes from tyres so old they were crumbling and used them.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 01-13-11, 11:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
There was no bottom of the line Raleigh Sports and your bike just had had it's bars and saddle replaced...
I had a 1970s Malaysian built Raleigh sports that I have been told was the budget model. It had a few differences like no pump peg, no lamp bracket, a vinyl brooks saddle and maybe the rims were different. Other than that is was just your basic sports.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-13-11, 11:23 PM
matchswain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I had a 1970s Malaysian built Raleigh sports that I have been told was the budget model. It had a few differences like no pump peg, no lamp bracket, a vinyl brooks saddle and maybe the rims were different. Other than that is was just your basic sports.
Did the Malaysian models still have the "Made in England" script on the top tube? Mine does, but it makes me wonder...
Old 01-13-11, 11:31 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by mkeller234
Your basic Raleigh Sports is a really good but rather basic bicycle... leather saddles, lamp brackets (along with a lamp and generator), and pump pegs are what came with the Superbe as standard equipment.
Old 01-14-11, 10:45 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubes can last a very long time as they are protected from what kills tyres, namely UV radiation.

I have pulled supple tubes from tyres so old they were crumbling and used them.
Like hearing that - I just did exactly that, and wondered if I'd regret pulling such a velo cheapo move. Your comment helps my peace of mind!
Old 01-14-11, 04:12 PM
FishBiscuit

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh International

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They had a DL-1 and a DL-1L that were in unbelievable great shape. I quickly paid the $50 each they were asking and loaded the bikes onto my bike rack. It turns out this couple were the original owners of these two 1974 Tourist’s and they proceeded to give me the owner’s manual, assembly guide, warranty cards, and a "bike tool" that came with the bikes.
Holy cow! That's quite a haul! Great find! They're wonderful bikes- I love mine. We've got three at my house now, only not in as good of shape as yours!
Old 01-14-11, 04:17 PM
FishBiscuit

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh International

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put Schwalbe tubes (model AV17) and Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tires on my DL-1s, and I couldn't be happier. I ordered my tubes and tires from Calhoun Cycle, but I know they're around. Harris Cyclery also offers them. The tires are offered both with and without a reflective stripe (I think you can get them in 28 x 1.5 in black too).

This photo was taken before I mounted the Schwalbe tubes:

Oh, and I'd recommend changing the tubes and tires at the same time, just for the fact that removing and replacing the wheels on this bike is a pain in the butt due, to having to readjust the brake stirrups, brake pads, fenders, chain tensioners, and 3-Speed indicator chain every time you do.

Last edited by FishBiscuit; 01-14-11 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-14-11, 04:24 PM
FishBiscuit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my favourite English three speeds... in one of my favourite places.

... makes for one of my favorite photos! What rims did you put on your Twenty? That's the next upgrade for mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.