Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colonoscopy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Colonoscopy

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 07:24 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what it is that puts you at a MUCH higher risk for colon cancer..MEAT. It's true. It's actually the black carbon build-up on overcooked meat. There was a startling statistic that you are at like a 50% higher risk if you eat an oz (or some other really small amount) of meat every day. The article I read said that if you are going to eat meat, make sure it's prepared in a way that doesn't involve an open flame or the potential to burn it.

This really sucks because I love meat. I actually had like a 2 pound platter of BBQ meat today at a local restaurant. So do as I say and not as I do.

That being said, cancer is totally a genetic thing. Some people can get colon cancer even with a healthy diet, and some people can get lung cancer after smoking cigarettes for less than a year. At the same time, those with the genetic traits to avoid cancer can smoke 2 packs a day and live until they are in their 90s. I mentioned in the other thread about "Cigarettes" that my grandpa smoked 2 packs a day for over 60 years of his life. He's 87 and still hasn't had a single health problem. He still goes outside and shovels the driveway. My other great grandmother recently died at 97 years old, and she ate nothing but packaged meats filled with Salt, Nitrates, and MSG.

You can only do so much to prevent cancer (and death) from happening. It's not up to you when you die. You have to live life to the fullest each and every day because you never know.
Old 02-02-11, 07:41 PM
Propofol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmadley
Also guys, if you are over 45, think about a prostate exam as well (if not included in the colonoscopy testing regime). The %ages they say for prostate cancer are pretty high - 40% over 45; 50% over 50 and 65+% over 60.
I think you're talking about Benign Prostate Hypertrophy (prostate enlargement) - incidence approaches 100% at age 80 or 85, I think. The incidence of prostate cancer in men over age 45 is nowhere close to 40%, let alone 65%.
Old 02-02-11, 08:07 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sorry to hear about your friend, my prayers are with you and his family. I had a colonscopy, I agree with PCAD the prep was too bad just take a lot of reading material. LOL The stuff I drank was nasty, it tasted like oily water.
Old 02-02-11, 08:20 PM
PHLevel

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-1,2009 specialized demo-7 II, 2008 specialized SX-Trail II, 2008 Trek 1.2, 2007 Fit S3 BMX.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could probably go search google, but that would be no fun.

Is there a known cause of colon cancer? I'm sure there are lots, but anything that sits at the top of the pile?
Old 02-02-11, 08:52 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See post #51. I just brought it up.
Old 02-02-11, 09:28 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PHLevel

Is there a known cause of colon cancer? I'm sure there are lots, but anything that sits at the top of the pile?
Behind every case of colon cancer is some *******.
Old 02-02-11, 09:29 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Yes you can. Risk applies to numbers of patients, i.e. your risk of dying from a stage 2 cancer is 20 % less than a stage 3. For the individual it is an absolute- either all the cancer was removed and you will live a fairly normal life or it was not and you will ultimately die from the disease at a later date. For the individual risks are meaningless- you live or you die. The value of risk assessment is in deciding to allow a certain procedure be performed, where it is performed, or who performs it.
Stick to your day job.
Old 02-03-11, 09:28 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad

Really, guess you would know?
Old 02-03-11, 05:39 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPilot
So sorry to hear about your friend, my prayers are with you and his family. I had a colonscopy, I agree with PCAD the prep was too bad just take a lot of reading material. LOL The stuff I drank was nasty, it tasted like oily water.
The stuff I had was much better than what I had the last time. I am not saying it was great tasting, but certainly not in the same category with the horrible stuff I had the first time.
Old 02-03-11, 05:54 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by v70cat
Really, guess you would know?
I know enough.
Old 02-03-11, 09:20 PM
Propofol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
The stuff I had was much better than what I had the last time. I am not saying it was great tasting, but certainly not in the same category with the horrible stuff I had the first time.
The best advice I can give for anyone who has to drink that stuff for a colonoscopy: chill it and drink it with ice. Still tastes like crap, but it goes down easier.
Old 02-03-11, 10:47 PM
PHLevel

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-1,2009 specialized demo-7 II, 2008 specialized SX-Trail II, 2008 Trek 1.2, 2007 Fit S3 BMX.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Age

Age is the number one risk factor for colon cancer. Does that mean that age causes colon cancer? Not directly. It's just that by age age 50, one in four people has polyps. You'll learn more about polyps and their role in #14.
2. Alcohol

Research has indicated that alcohol increases colorectal cancer risk. Research has also shown that it lowers it, or that it has no effect at all. So which is right? All of it may be. The key appears to be what kind of alcohol you're drinking
Old 02-04-11, 08:39 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Unlikely, very unlikely, that a Stage lV Colorectal cancer developed in that 4 month window. Far more likely was that it was missed. Although colonoscopies are very good, a false negative rate up to 10 % does occur and cancers can be missed. If you continue to have bleeding or symptoms after a negative scope, insist on a repeat scope. It may save your life.
There was a flat patch where the cancer developed that was seen on the scope. Multiple docs including one at Sloan Kettering reviewed the tape. Nothing evident in Jan and full blown with liver mets in May. Gemzar helped reduce the mets and shrink the tumor but it came back. And after the experience at SK I am not a fan of that hospital. Subcutaneous chemo pump with a line into the hepatic artery supposed to infuse the organ with chemo. The line was misplaced and ended up dumping chemo into the gut. Not a fun time for my father when the chemo was flowing.
Old 02-04-11, 10:42 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
Feel a song coming on?