Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Cycling around Jacksonville . . . North Carolina

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 02:29 PM
troutbreath

Bikes: Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm headed to J'ville in a few weeks to see family. I've been there a lot, but never taken a bike. And, it seems that many of the roads I have been on in a car, are full of a LOT of cars.

Is there anywhere around there to ride safely? I don't want to be crushed by a truck, or an errant missile from the base.
Old 07-14-11, 12:51 PM
Spinr

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey troutbreath...Jacksonville, NC wouldn't be my favorite place to ride, but there are some nice country roads (not highway 24) to, say...Swansboro, a delightful little seaside village about 20 miles away. From there it's only about 7 or 8 miles more to Cape Carteret, where I live, and then you can ride the bridge over to Emerald Isle. At that point you're on to the best riding around here...Bogue Banks is a barrier island running east-west, about 26 miles long. The east end is anchored by Fort Macon, worth a trip in itself. There are lots of bicycles running that road, only one...Hiway 58 and the speed limit is 45 the whole way. That's where I would ride. Best of the road to you...
Old 07-14-11, 06:45 PM
troutbreath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I know Swansboro, and will actually be staying closer to that little burg. I think I might be able to navigate my way to the bridge to Emerald Isle.

Once there, I just need to stay on the main strip? That would be pretty easy! I'll need to play around with some online maps to see what I can find.

Thanks again!
Old 07-15-11, 11:03 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you can hit Emerald Isle it's a 1 road straight shot to Atlantic Beach/Fort Macon ~23 miles away. There's a huge shoulder to ride on, although I would recommend be on the lookout for the random snake. Other than that most(99%) of the people will give you a few feet. I've ridden the island many times and never felt like I was in danger. EI to AB is a major cycling route. Expect to see a few cyclists out there.
Old 07-15-11, 03:51 PM
troutbreath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks! I was debating whether the bike was going to make the trip, but it seems like it must now. The place where we are staying is close to Hammocks Beach State Park -- I think I can be to the first bridge to EI in just a few miles.

I probably should have put Swansboro as our destination . . . but who knew there were people who had heard of Swansboro?
Old 07-18-11, 12:44 PM
troutbreath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here was my route from today. Thanks for the tips! I was going to make the entire trip back, but the family decided to meet me at the public beach access, so I headed for the sand, instead. I only got to the entrance of the park, but later in the week I hope to explore a bit more.

https://runkeeper.com/user/michaelrpa...ivity/43777589

Old 07-28-11, 03:50 PM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. I was on Emerald Isle from the 16th to the 23rd. I rode every morning, usually starting between 6 and 7am and staying out about 2 hours or so. My usual route is East to Ft. Macon, then back down the island to the Coast Guard Station at the West end, then back to the beach house around the 16 mile marker. There is also a great 40+ route from the island into Swansboro, then off to Stella. Very little traffic if you clear the Hwy 58/Swansboro area at first light before morning rush.

Here's the link I used:
https://www.mapitpronto.com/index.cfm...de&rideId=7067
Old 07-29-11, 02:18 PM
troutbreath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably saw you. I got over to the island twice (we were only there 3 mornings), and really enjoyed the rides. It was nice to ride hard for a few hours, and then jump in the ocean to cool off. I need to get one of those oceans put in near me.
Old 07-29-11, 05:28 PM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by troutbreath
I probably saw you. I got over to the island twice (we were only there 3 mornings), and really enjoyed the rides. It was nice to ride hard for a few hours, and then jump in the ocean to cool off. I need to get one of those oceans put in near me.
^
I've tried, our county commissioners won't install it, so I drive 5 hours to visit.

I did see a guy heading to Ft. Macon one morning on a Cannondale. I believe it was Weds. Thursday I did kayaks in the AM and rode in the PM, and Friday I did the Stella Loop. I was the old guy with the white mustache on a Serotta Ti.