Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 09:39 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Here it is before I swapped pedals and had the spokes changed out to DT stainless.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61726328@N03/7769467304/
Old 10-29-12, 10:04 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Original decals from Canada. The white one used to be the Canadian flag, all bleached out now. The rest are shiny ones (were) from provinces. Yeah, leaning against the garage, I just took a quick pick and forgot drive side protocol. Funny, I always considered the red far more eye catching than the silver GR in the bike "show room". If the GR had been red...yikes, would've had to sell my 350 SL Honda MC.

Jim
Old 10-29-12, 10:40 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
^ Well, as the guy who started this thread, I'd be glad to go root out any evidence of snobbery or 'not playing nicely with others' if it were pointed out to me. However I can't recall any, nor can I recall anyone saying anything at all negative, until today. Mostly we have been sharing info, complimenting each others' bikes and pictures, and some of have swapped some parts: the usual C&V camraderie. Maybe that's not apparent to someone who has never posted in this forum before, yet feels it's appropriate to start off with an insult.

Apologies, I overreacted to the dued post "I was praying it wasn't a Jubilee or something low end, as they all shared the same paint it seems, from the GR on down". $200 from a college student in '73 wasn't exactly low end, about 2X average bike ($100). I could put old gruupo gear on my GJ and it'd take a sharp eye to tell it wasn't a GR with the lack of BB Nervex cutouts the most telling, also front fork is a bit different. Of course the cantis now make it look like some crazy retro cross. I put them on for wet winter stopping power in '77 and the MaFacs are friggen antiques now! And rear Jubilee derailluers are jewels.
Old 10-29-12, 10:48 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Ha! Ok. I'll dredge up a few pics. Here's a wild start: Princess Marguerite ferry from Seattle to Victoria WAS the start. It was all downhill from there. Well, that's totally true, we started from Winslow (is that old or what?). Took three ferries to leave, return to NA continent (in Canada). I had like $375 in cash to get across the continent. Out initial goal was Alaska but hmmmm, that was wishful thinking once spokes started breaking and tires flattened going up Yellowhead Highway.
Old 10-30-12, 06:35 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis

Apologies, I overreacted to the dued post "I was praying it wasn't a Jubilee or something low end, as they all shared the same paint it seems, from the GR on down". $200 from a college student in '73 wasn't exactly low end, about 2X average bike ($100). I could put old gruupo gear on my GJ and it'd take a sharp eye to tell it wasn't a GR with the lack of BB Nervex cutouts the most telling, also front fork is a bit different. Of course the cantis now make it look like some crazy retro cross. I put them on for wet winter stopping power in '77 and the MaFacs are friggen antiques now! And rear Jubilee derailluers are jewels.
No problem, I think the guy who posted that actually said later that he meant Mirage. And I'm glad you have posted further as you've got a nice bike with a great story! Actually I was surprised at your comment about the price difference between GJ And GR at the time, as I'd assumed they were near-equivalents, with the GR more race oriented and the GJ more for touring. eschlwc is right...you should start a GJ thread like this one, with pics of your bike and more about your tour!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 10-31-12, 06:34 PM
DsmBerg

Bikes: 72 Motobecane GR, 88 Schwinn Circuit, 72 Schwinn SS, Cannondale Synapse 5, Raleigh Tamland 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Nice find. Great bike. Too bad about the clear coat. I'm working on an old Moto right now and the clear has yellowed some. I removed if from the chrome fork ends with citrus stripper. On the paint? Be careful and be sure to check it in an inconspicuous place like under the down tube, but I noticed that alcohol removed part of the clear coat on mine. You need the strong stuff. 90% rubbing alcohol, but try 70% first. May work. The problem will be around the decals, which were actually silk screened, not decals at all. You can't do those as the alchohol would probably remove them. A dilemma. Good luck. That's a cool bike.

BTW. That foil head badge is exactly the same as on the 74-75 Le Champions. I would think a 72 or so would probably have a plastic or metal head badge. But the script letter and painted seat stay caps certainly seem to indicate early 70's

Its a pat 71 rd which is how I ballparked the vintage with the script letters. I'm 90 pct done with a redo of this bike. It rides great, looks a bit different though! The paint and decals were trash so I reprinted and got decals from Cyclomondo, which are excellent.
Old 11-02-12, 09:37 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Tonight I took a leisurely cruise through the searchable archives at bikelist.org, especially the classic rendezvous mailing list. Looking under 'Motobecane Grand Record' I came upon LOTS of posts referring to the bike as one that the posters owned, or used to own and missed, or wished they could afford when they were younger. The black/red/gold GR was frequently mentioned as a favorite or classic color scheme and model. And several compared the GR to the Peugeot PX-10; though the latter was full 531 while the GR was '3 Main Tubes' up to '76 or so, the GR was arguably better equipped with NR. There were also several comments that the Motobecanes had a better level of finish as far as paint, lug filing, etc than French makes like Peugeot and Gitane, which were much bigger names in the early years of the boom. There was at least one mention of an early 70s GR, a yellow one I think, having a problem with the clear coat deteriorating!

Apparently Motobecane entered the US market late; they were a much smaller outfit than Peugeot, which was an industrial powerhouse. The importer was Ben Lawee, who also imported Bianchi for some years, and Follis, and I think other lesser names. Lawee also developed some marques made for him in Italy and elsewhere, like Italvega. Later he turned to Japan with Univega. Several guys on the CR list had been in the bike industry at the time, one had even worked with Lawee I believe, and they attested to his genius for marketing, for choosing popular colors and graphics, and for mixing and matching components to hit just the right price points. For example the GR has Campy drive components but Weinmann brakes. I got the impression that it might have been Lawee who got Motobecane to start using Japanese components, as they were doing with Nitto bars as early as 1974.

By the way, this is probably obvious to everyone but me, but the Grand Record was named for the Record derailleurs...three guesses what the Grand Jubile was named for.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 11-02-12 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 10:18 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
I always considered the red far more eye catching than the silver GR in the bike "show room". If the GR had been red...yikes, would've had to sell my 350 SL Honda MC.
A restoration, but nonetheless...a red one!
Red Grand Record
Old 11-03-12, 11:06 AM
Chicago Al 

^ Nice 'reverse' paint. You mention it being PC'd...obviously that didn't include the gold lug lining, but how about the black lugs, did you paint that over the PC?

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-03-12, 02:09 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
^ Nice 'reverse' paint. You mention it being PC'd...obviously that didn't include the gold lug lining, but how about the black lugs, did you paint that over the PC?
I had nothing to do w/ it Al. I only pulled it off the net. Although, I prefer the orig Grand Record Blk/Red color combo & the all red refurb doesn't look that bad...mine's staying Silver as it came to me...!
Old 11-03-12, 03:35 PM
Chicago Al 

^ Ooops...sorry, I thought that was your site. Heck, that guy should be on C&V!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-21-13, 01:07 PM
jdmbird83

Bikes: 1976 or 77 Motobecane Grand Record, upgraded to Super Record 6 speed rear cassette and

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the Grand Record that I obtained from my dad about 5 years ago. The bike that got me into riding a road bike. When I got it, I found that my dad had upgraded the crank to Campy (he bent the original shortly after he bought the bike), got rid of the Brooks Professional saddle, and put a Selle Italia Turbo Special on (incredibly uncomfortable to me), and upgraded to a 700c Matrix ISO II wheelset (wore out the original by the mid 80's). After 5 years of me having the bike, I purchased a longer seatpost so that I could make the bike fit me properly (still have the original SR post), purchased a Red Limited Edition Brooks Swallow, and Brooks Leather Bartape to match, bought an aftermarket set of brake hoods to match the set that came with the bike originally as close as I could, and a Brooks Seat Bag to hang from the rear seat. I also recently added the Bell, as I was tired of using my voice to let people know that I'm coming up behind them. The only other change I plan on making to it in the near future, is replacement cables throughout, and getting red cable housing. I'm in no hurry to do this though, as the originals work perfectly fine, and the bike looks beautiful with it's current setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0202.jpg (98.7 KB, 1275 views)
Old 06-21-13, 02:19 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums, jdmbird. Thats a very nice bike you have there, and it's always nice to see bikes that get ridden so often and upgraded with better stuff as time goes by.

oh, and btw, this is mine.. the basket case. Needs a new stem, a new head set, a new seatpost, heck, a new everything! slowly gathering parts but HS/stems and 26.6 seatposts are hard to come by for cheap.

Untitled by ctjr, on Flickr
Old 06-21-13, 04:32 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
C'mon Italoomineeum...we gotta set that buff colored beauty in a better light. With some clothes on and what not.
With maybe some blue tires!
Old 06-21-13, 05:22 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Motobecane Grand Record 650B by djk762, on Flickr

It would be interesting for one of you intellectual types to explain what makes a Grand Record a Grand Record. Was the geometry consistent through the years?

This one is 58 ct. X 58 CC Reynolds 531 and in a French fit way fits me beautifully. My favorite long ride ride.
Easy on the eyes as well.

-D
Old 06-21-13, 06:27 PM
Chicago Al 

Hey, nice to see some new examples! Great looking bikes...black (and red) goes with anything, you know.

DJ, the designation apparently came from the Campy Record derailleurs and shifters, just as the Grand Jublile had the Huret Jubile setup.

If you can spot your frame's SN, likely on the non-drive dropout, please contribute it to Tmar's thread.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-21-13, 06:33 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
the designation apparently came from the Campy Record derailleurs
Ah, Nuovo Record.
Old 06-22-13, 01:55 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
C'mon Italoomineeum...we gotta set that buff colored beauty in a better light. With some clothes on and what not.
With maybe some blue tires!
yeah, yeah... I'm still very much undecided on what I want to do with it. Half of me wants to build it into a fat tire 650B fixie, the other half of me wants a Retrodirect gearing system, and a very tiny sensible voice in my head says to just go the sensible route with Shimano 600.
Old 06-22-13, 05:05 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I understand. Choices, choices. Actually, any one of those options sounds good so I can see your dilemma.
Old 06-22-13, 05:27 PM
jhess74
I'm usually cranky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djkashuba

Motobecane Grand Record 650B by djk762, on Flickr

It would be interesting for one of you intellectual types to explain what makes a Grand Record a Grand Record. Was the geometry consistent through the years?

This one is 58 ct. X 58 CC Reynolds 531 and in a French fit way fits me beautifully. My favorite long ride ride.

-D
That bike is fantastic... I need a Motobecane now.
Old 09-26-13, 08:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts

-D
@djkashuba : in your face, homey.

Attached Images
Old 09-26-13, 09:07 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
@djkashuba : in your face, homey.

Sex.

-D
Old 09-26-13, 09:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

........I also finally finished the strip and reassembly of a Raleigh International
I got from Jack a couple of years ago as a bike-in-a-box. It is very pretty, and
I hope to ride it in the Tweed Scum ride this Saturday.

You should come if you can.

(one obligatory picture even though this is a French thread ......hee hee, he said French thread.)

Attached Images
Raleigh International 012.jpg (96.5 KB, 1073 views)
Old 09-26-13, 10:05 PM
djkashuba 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
........I also finally finished the strip and reassembly of a Raleigh International
I got from Jack a couple of years ago as a bike-in-a-box. It is very pretty, and
I hope to ride it in the Tweed Scum ride this Saturday.

You should come if you can.

(one obligatory picture even though this is a French thread ......hee hee, he said French thread.)

Wow, that looks much prettier than that clapped out English 3-speed I've seen you on. Are you doing the whole ride are just going straight to the bar?

-D
Old 09-27-13, 12:06 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Wow, that looks much prettier than that clapped out English 3-speed I've seen you on. Are you doing the whole ride are just going straight to the bar?

-D
.......................I thought straight to the bar was the whole ride ?

And that "clapped out three speed" you so cavalierly dismiss has both patina and panache, words you will doubtless have to look up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.